Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr. Fetus posted:

The main reason Ricochet isn't that good is because it has an accuracy penalty. It's basically a worse version of Squall Volley, and unless you have a Dark Hunter or Hexer, there's no good way to inflict binds.

Okay now with both Dendrology and Bracing Walk, Golden Lair's main gimmick is completely trivialized. And I can save my money and supplies for in battle healing. Except now I need to farm up a bunch of Medica IIs. :shepicide: How long does the maze stay frozen for?

3 days I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Three days sounds about right.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It is indeed three days.

Also: gently caress the Golden Lair.

That is all.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Ricochet also hits more if you have a survivalist with the ability to boost accuracy.

Speaking of why did I pick a survivalist over a troubadour out a medic? The only real upside is that I can land binds for my dark hunter.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Preorder and first print bonus for EO2U in NA.

EO3 related question, which is the better physical front row attacker; a Gladiator, or a Front Mortar Arbalist? (without taking Warrior Might and books into consideration) I've noticed how completely and utterly awful an Arbalist's skillset is, and they have ridiculously tiny TP pools while their skills cost a ton of TP. Blade Rave does more damage on average to a single target, and Gladiators can actually survive on the front lines. Honestly the more I look at the class, the more it looks like a worse version of the Gladiator. And while Arbalists are back row damage dealers, Zodiacs already have that covered without eating up a bunch of TP. And the Gladiator is far better at dealing damage when you take Warrior Might into consideration. Does Giant Kill really do that much for them, or does it not really make that much of a difference?

Tyty posted:

Speaking of why did I pick a survivalist over a troubadour out a medic? The only real upside is that I can land binds for my dark hunter.

Their Efficiency passive? It turns them into the best Medics in the game, and it actually stacks with itself through Grimoires.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 27, 2015

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

The art in the soundtrack sleeve is so dumb, yet again. Japan :3:

Regardless, time to buy buy buy!

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Well, I guess this is the first EO where it isn't better to own it on the eShop
(because of needing to get around the one save slot)

Does it have an actual release date yet?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Those guys are really easy to beat once you get a Grimoire Stone with Demon's Beak.

Of course, to get that, you have to fight the Depth Dancers, and that's a whole different kind of BS altogether.

Depth Dancers aren't too bad even on Expert if you're only fighting one at a time: head bind them and you should be able to kill them before it wears off. Fighting two at once gets iffy, though.

Dr. Fetus posted:

EO3 related question, which is the better physical front row attacker; a Gladiator, or a Front Mortar Arbalist? (without taking Warrior Might and books into consideration) I've noticed how completely and utterly awful an Arbalist's skillset is, and they have ridiculously tiny TP pools while their skills cost a ton of TP. Blade Rave does more damage on average to a single target, and Gladiators can actually survive on the front lines. Honestly the more I look at the class, the more it looks like a worse version of the Gladiator. And while Arbalists are back row damage dealers, Zodiacs already have that covered without eating up a bunch of TP. And the Gladiator is far better at dealing damage when you take Warrior Might into consideration. Does Giant Kill really do that much for them, or does it not really make that much of a difference?

Endless Battle is a 25% damage bonus that's always active, while Giant Kill is a 55% bonus that's always active except against enemies you could probably one-shot anyway. That's a pretty significant difference. Arbalists are more fragile but Berserker Vow mostly makes that a wash anyway, since you'll need a Hoplite to protect them either way. TP is an issue if you're not just gonna use a Dark Ether battery, but it's not like Gladiators have a huge TP pool either.

Now, if you're building a Warrior's Might party then obviously you want to forget about Arbalists and just make a Gladiator/Shogun and a couple of Shogun/Buccaneers. But in isolation A/G is definitely gonna hit harder than G/A.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 27, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

I don't know the numbers but seeing as I just ran an Arbalist/Gladiator I can say that their TP pool wasn't a hindrance at all. Around the mid/late game when I was fighting enemies without weaknesses, the Zodiac could use Dark Ether to make the pool last longer. And then by the endgame, once the Zodiac had Meteor, the Arbalist had enough TP stored up that he my team was beating many enemies before his pool ran out.

Plus Amrita II's and III's are so incredibly easy to get in that game that TP isn't an issue at all.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I did some calculations, and Giant Kill does make a huge difference. It boosts Front Mortar's damage to a significant amount (593%), more than what Blade Rave does on average with Endless Battle (534%). That's without taking Double Action into consideration, which doesn't even work for Blade Rave. And their TP pools are barely different, it's like a 10 point difference at the same levels. Not really sure why I thought Arbalists were a crappy class for a while there.

Of course Gladiator/Shogun throws all that out the window, but that's a whole different matter.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 27, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Looks like EOU2 is getting the SMT IV treatment.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Don't most Atlus games, at this point?

In related news, the official Visual Materials for EOU1 and 2 looks to be releasing soon.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pureauthor posted:

Don't most Atlus games, at this point?

In related news, the official Visual Materials for EOU1 and 2 looks to be releasing soon.

I don't remember any other one getting an art book with all first printings at least. V:shobon:V

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Strange Quark posted:

I don't remember any other one getting an art book with all first printings at least. V:shobon:V

Persona 4 did at least. It also came with half the soundtrack.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That CD sleeve art is so Himukai it hurts :allears:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
EO ladies in contemporary clothes have been a thing for a while.

The only thing I'm curious about is why her pupils have been replaced with stars.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Reminds me of Frederica's excited animation.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
You're not allowed to be royalty without weirdass pupils in EO's world I guess

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arianna has an excited stars in eyes expression too, but her eyes are normal otherwise.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That sure is a nice EMD and EOU2 EU release date.

:negative:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Crosspeice posted:

That sure is a nice EMD and EOU2 EU release date.

:negative:

Time to emigrate!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I was gonna kill the yggdrasil core and then it used cell membrane

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Looking at his skill list on the wiki, the Core has a lot of really ridiculous abilities.

Then again, Atlus.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Looking at his skill list on the wiki, the Core has a lot of really ridiculous abilities.

Then again, Atlus.

It's really ridiculous how his fourth phase has just no pattern at all and if he happens to use cell membrane on the turn where Ricky is attacking him three times then welp.

I mean I know that the strategy is to load up on powerful grimoire attack skills and like give everybody action boost or something so you don't have to hang out in the fourth phase too long.

It's just frustrating because I can survive and deal with all his attacks and I can damage him at a not too slow rate, but I can't utterly destroy him like it seems you have to in order to not be hosed by the randomness.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 28, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yggdrasil Core has an attack pattern for all four of his phases. He just gets a lot more erratic with each phase.

quote:

Phase: 1 90000 - 72900
Opening attack: Necrosis
- Explode, Freezing, Thunderstorm
- Land Slash or Demonic Rush
- Root Cyclone

Phase 2: 72900 - 54900
Opening attack: Segment (9999)
- Activate
- Entangling Ray, Necrosis, Ancient Pollen
- Cell Membrane
- Ancient Pollen, Entangle, Necrosis

Phase 3: 54900 - 36900
Opening attack: Segment (9999)
- Freezing, Thunderstorm, Explode | Land Slash or Demonic Rush
- Land Slash or Demonic Rush | Thunderstorm, Explode, Freezing (if it used a physical attack on the last turn it will use an elemental in this one and vise versa)
- Root Cyclone

Phase 4: 36900 - 0
Opening attack: Segment (24000)
- Entangling Ray, Necrosis, or Ancient Pollen
- Explode, Thunderstorm, Freezing
- Thunderstorm, Freezing, Explode | Root Cyclone
- Root Cyclone | Freezing, Explode, Thunderstorm (if it used a physical attack on the last turn it will use an elemental in this one and vise versa)
- Cell Membrane or Activate

It will never use the same move twice in a row. Once it uses Land Slash, it will always use Demonic Rush in the next turn, and vice versa. This applies to all its phases.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

!!! Thank you once again Doctor Fetus. You solve all my problems.

Why is the wiki so terrible

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I did it. I did it I did it ididit.

Thank you Doc you are a god among men.

That's all 3 games 100% now to never play Etrian Odyssey again.

I need EOU2

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Now play Persona Q. :unsmigghh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Now play Persona Q. :unsmigghh:

... hmmmmm

E: Seriously though I've heard mostly that it's A) not that good and B) more catered towards Persona fans (of which I have no knowledge) than EO fans.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

!!! Thank you once again Doctor Fetus. You solve all my problems.

Why is the wiki so terrible

It's really incomplete. The only game it has a lot of info for is EO1. It barely has any info on the rest of the games, especially the 3DS ones.

Regy Rusty posted:

I did it. I did it I did it ididit.

Thank you Doc you are a god among men.

That's all 3 games 100% now to never play Etrian Odyssey again.

I need EOU2

You're welcome. You could try playing the original EO2. :v: (Do not do this. Unless you want to play an EO game that actively has it out for the player and has really poor QA. Like holy crap this game is really buggy in places. Also the class balance is like the worst in the series.)

As for Persona Q, yeah, if you're coming from the EO side of things, you're probably not gonna like the game as much.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's really incomplete. The only game it has a lot of info for is EO1. It barely has any info on the rest of the games, especially the 3DS ones.

I've always tried not to use it as my only resource. It was at least somewhat useful because it's easily searchable and could at least get me pointed in the right direction when I needed things like conditional drops and whatnot. For the Core, it had most of the pattern down for the first few phases but nothing for the last. I tried googling around but wasn't able to find any other sources so I naively believed them when they said it was random.

Dr. Fetus posted:

You're welcome. You could try playing the original EO2. :v: (Do not do this. Unless you want to play an EO game that actively has it out for the player and has really poor QA. Like holy crap this game is really buggy in places. Also the class balance is like the worst in the series.)

As for Persona Q, yeah, if you're coming from the EO side of things, you're probably not gonna like the game as much.

If a copy of EO2 fell into my lap somehow I'd try it as a lark just to see how weird it is. But what with EOU2 coming out in just a few months I'll just wait and play that version.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'll admit, I got Persona Q for the EO side of things and left only moderately satisfied. But, it did pique my interest enough to read LPs of Persona 3 and Persona 4. (I'd have played them, but I don't have any systems other than PC and 3DS. :smith:)

Also, the way that FOEs are used is a lot more creative (though admittedly obnoxious at times) than the main series.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I think the main issue I have with Persona Q is the abysmal pacing. I'm about 40 hours in and still only halfway through the 4th maze. I usually go through theses games at a pretty quick pace, but for whatever reason PQ is just long as hell.

Also the difficulty balance is off, too. regular fights are never remotely difficult, FOEs you need to break the game to kill 'em.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Persona Q is great if you want to see the P3 and P4 dorks fumbling over each other.

I married the dog. :3:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

I think the main issue I have with Persona Q is the abysmal pacing. I'm about 40 hours in and still only halfway through the 4th maze. I usually go through theses games at a pretty quick pace, but for whatever reason PQ is just long as hell.

Also the difficulty balance is off, too. regular fights are never remotely difficult, FOEs you need to break the game to kill 'em.

Yeah, I don't even know what was up with the FOEs. They had way too much HP if you tried to fight them normally. Even if the game said that you were strong enough to fight them. Like in EO, you could either fight them or don't. They didn't take an eternity to kill if you were strong enough.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I think the main problem I have with PQ is that you can't choose your own skills like in EO. I didn't really realize how big of a deal that is for me until playing it. It's not a bad game though. Everything about the second main boss is amazing, for instance. I should probably go back to it, I'm still near the beginning of the 3rd maze right now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, I don't even know what was up with the FOEs. They had way too much HP if you tried to fight them normally.

ShadeofBlue posted:

I think the main problem I have with PQ is that you can't choose your own skills like in EO.

Both of these were annoyances for me, especially on the FOE front.

The very first FOE is just a huge damage sponge with absurdly high defense for that point of the game. It'd be the equivalent of trying to beat a Boulder Boar to death with a Hexer's physical attacks.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Both of these were annoyances for me, especially on the FOE front.

The very first FOE is just a huge damage sponge with absurdly high defense for that point of the game. It'd be the equivalent of trying to beat a Boulder Boar to death with a Hexer's physical attacks.

It was pretty bad yeah. And magic was basically useless to boot thanks to physicals running off HP which was a lot more renewable than sp. I think I just started killing every FOE instead of solving the puzzles after a point, which is definitely not optimal and kind of boring when everything has huge HP but your damage is really limited until you start getting a bunch of dudes with myriad arrows.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ShadeofBlue posted:

I think the main problem I have with PQ is that you can't choose your own skills like in EO.

Well you sort of can since you select what skills are passed with fusion. Each character has 3 fixed regular skills, a 4th unique skill unlocked after a late game sidequest, 4 slots for skill cards (which are unlocked in a meaningful capacity a bit into the 3rd labyrinth) and their sub-Persona's 6 skills. You can make some cuh-razy poo poo with that many choices.

I guess since I came from SMT games I was already used to SMT character progression. For most of the game, scavenge what you can, then go insane with power. Pulpina not being a loving waste of time was surprising though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Persona Q is great if you want to see the P3 and P4 dorks fumbling over each other.

I married the dog. :3:

I ended up with teddie, and hated myself for it. I just couldn't resist saying that I loved bear puns :(

• Locked thread