Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Public shaming is what this show does best. Calling people on their poo poo in the most bizarre and memorable fashion they can is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Irish Joe posted:

Internet is entirely optional. If you desperately need to get online, you can go to a library/school. As for your phone, buy minutes and only use it for business/important matters. The point is, if you're spending all your money on luxuries to the point where you can't afford to pay a speeding ticket, you're not poor, you're just bad with money.
This is a pretty weak troll even compared to your usual offerings Joe

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I ended up doing jail time for not returning a DVD to public library. I actually had returned it and the librarians found it on a shelf, but I was going to be hit with a 10$ fine and 1450$ worth of 'fees'. The look of sadness on the Town Manager when they realized they were about to be sued for their 'guaranteed moneymaking technique' was amazing.
Can you elaborate on this a little…?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

This is a pretty weak troll even compared to your usual offerings Joe

Yeah, I know.

Realtalk: Hemophilia, you are not a pathetic loser. Rather, you are a victim of circumstances. You're poor not because you waste money on frivolous entertainments, but because "the man" is keeping you down. The police are out to get you. Politicians are out to get you. Corporations are out to get you. Don't hold any hope that your life will get better. Working hard, saving your money and taking responsibility for your life and actions as ways to get ahead are ideas the rich use to keep the poor placated. Its not worth trying to escape poverty. Just take whatever resentment you have towards the system that wronged you and drown it out with petty consumerism. You will never be more than a worthless thrall of the system, but at least you can watch HBO.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I ended up doing jail time for not returning a DVD to public library. I actually had returned it and the librarians found it on a shelf, but I was going to be hit with a 10$ fine and 1450$ worth of 'fees'. The look of sadness on the Town Manager when they realized they were about to be sued for their 'guaranteed moneymaking technique' was amazing.

Yeah, I'd love to hear more about this as well. I hope you got a good settlement or verdict, from the sound of it you have a hell of a case.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
As a person who is going through lawsuits dealing with this type of poo poo, I can safely say thank you John for shining a light on it. It's a loving stupid ridiculous system that ends up punishing the poor the worst, and even the lower middle class.

The biggest problem with this system right now is that there's no substantial federal protections against collection agencies in regards to tickets. Generally speaking these things fall under a federal act called the FDCPA, but because of a few cases they've lost their rights as "consumer debt". Usually when something goes into collections and a CA goes after you, you can send a letter requesting they validate what you owe, payments fees ect ect and you have protections against when they can call, accept payments and a bunch of stuff that if they break each violation is a 1k punitive damage lawsuit. Thing is though with tickets they can say gently caress you and call all day all night trying to collect "fees" and generally make your life and your credit miserable.

there's changes coming out so it wont affect your credit nearly as much though which will give some people relief, but it's not the same at all. I also think there's no urgency to fix it because A) gently caress the poor B) revenue streams for governments. It's so hosed.

Also the bird bit was pretty great the whole thing is such a farce.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, I know.

Realtalk: Hemophilia, you are not a pathetic loser. Rather, you are a victim of circumstances. You're poor not because you waste money on frivolous entertainments, but because "the man" is keeping you down. The police are out to get you. Politicians are out to get you. Corporations are out to get you. Don't hold any hope that your life will get better. Working hard, saving your money and taking responsibility for your life and actions as ways to get ahead are ideas the rich use to keep the poor placated. Its not worth trying to escape poverty. Just take whatever resentment you have towards the system that wronged you and drown it out with petty consumerism. You will never be more than a worthless thrall of the system, but at least you can watch HBO.

Just call it a wash until Sunday, you're obviously a bit off your game.

I laughed, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

jojoinnit posted:

Can you elaborate on this a little…?

I was living in rural Wisconsin at the time and I was bored and checked out a movie from the local county library. I return it the next day. Six months later I 'm driving to work and I get pulled over for a taillight out. While the cop is running my license I'm waiting. In my rear view I see him step out of my car and unsnap his holster. I immediately put my hands on the wheel and wonder what the gently caress is going on. He tells me to step out and assume the position. I do and he starts cuffing me as he's telling me I have bench warrant out on me.

I'm really confused now. I get driven to the Sheriff's department and they start processing me. I keep asking what the warrant is for,. Finally after I'm processed they look it up and start laughing and tell me. I'm really pissed at that and ask how much I owe so I can pay it and get to work. They look it up and get very quiet. I call my lawyer (my brother in law) and ask him if he can stop by the library and see if the DVD is there and to make sure he takes one of the librarians with him as a witness. They find the disc and check the records to make sure it was the copy I had checked out.

My lawyer calls the Sheriff's Department (which is across the street) to send someone over and make sure all this is verified. They run a deputy over and he agrees all the paperwork matches and my lawyer gets a signed affidavit from the librarian. He then goes over to the sheriff's department and asks them since there is no crime if I can leave now. The deputies say sure but then the Sheriff walks in and says, 'Okay, but you have to pay all the surcharges on the $10 dollar fine' all $1450 worth. I say 'What!?" you want me to pay for a crime that never happened?

He says, 'You can pay now or talk to the judge Monday morning,' This was Saturday about three pm. My lawyer says if you pay you're never seeing that money again. So I spend the rest of Saturday and Sunday in jail. Monday morning the judge looks at this poo poo and throws the warrant out with all charges. The County Prosecutor is asked why this sort of thing happened and the circuit judge is told it is a new policy of the Town Manager to charge all expenses on prosecuting the warrant to the subject. Even if the warrant is dropped. The judge's mouth kind of dropped open and he asked under what grounds?

I sued the Town Manager and the Sheriff personally for the amount of one year of their salaries (160K total) as the manager unilaterally made this policy decision without bringing it up to the town board for review, and the Sheriff had told him it was all perfectly legal. It was found out by my lawyer that the majority of the funds were going to increase the Sheriff's seizure reports allowing them to look better on the state financial review.

I was lucky. I had an attorney that would work for free and knew everybody in the county government and where the bodies were buried.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are you white?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Yes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I'm a 6'1" blonde haired :sweden: - American. Never been arrested or even had a ticket. The library never sent me a notice, and the warrant copy was never sent out. When my lawyer brought that up and the Town Clerk stated that they had never processed through my copies, that was the case right there. The Manager and Sheriff never expected any one to fight it and they had done it before to about twenty or so others. They basically would sit on the paperwork until the fees racked up then get a bench warrant issued.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Jesus loving Christ. That is a trap designed to throw you in a debtor's prison. What the gently caress.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's ridiculous that fees on a book/dvd from the library even go that high. That's the dumbest poo poo ever.

Once it goes to X date, they should be declaring it lost replacing it. The maximum fee should be 30 or 40 bucks or whatever. That's how it works here anyway.

sbaldrick posted:

They haven't region locked anything so Oliver randomly calling people on their poo poo can been seen by everyone.

Yes they have

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

xcore posted:

It's ridiculous that fees on a book/dvd from the library even go that high. That's the dumbest poo poo ever.

Once it goes to X date, they should be declaring it lost replacing it. The maximum fee should be 30 or 40 bucks or whatever. That's how it works here anyway.

Yes they have

The library fine was $10. The $1450 was charges for the processing and costs associated with the warrant and fines. So the library charged a quite reasonable fine, which they vacated as soon as the item turned up. The city manager and sheriff on the other hand were adding fees and charges on top the library fine like addicts punching a morphine button.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm a 6'1" blonde haired :sweden: - American. Never been arrested or even had a ticket. The library never sent me a notice, and the warrant copy was never sent out. When my lawyer brought that up and the Town Clerk stated that they had never processed through my copies, that was the case right there. The Manager and Sheriff never expected any one to fight it and they had done it before to about twenty or so others. They basically would sit on the paperwork until the fees racked up then get a bench warrant issued.

Come on Irish Joe, please explain how this process would only affect someone who's irresponsible with their money and a general law breaker.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Chiming in to say that this show's actually kind of hard to watch simply because the dirt Oliver digs up is just so grim. Years of the Daily Show have inured me to snappy, five-minutes-of-outrage segments but the way Oliver really has the time to go deeper on a subject makes it ten times worse. The crazy debtor's prison levels of poo poo dug up in that municipal violations segment is the distillation of the sort of poo poo you vaguely assume must be going on in the bad old world but given a face.

It kind of makes me wonder if this is what the other side of the political spectrum feels like when they're watching blowhard Fox personalities work them up into a frothy rage, except actually grounded in terrible things going on and not imagined liberal bogey-men.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That's a super good story. Any way or interest in getting that out? I mean it's resolved which takes a lot of the punch out but that's a drat good story. Also you wonder what happened to the 20 people before you.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

That's a super good story. Any way or interest in getting that out? I mean it's resolved which takes a lot of the punch out but that's a drat good story. Also you wonder what happened to the 20 people before you.

I'd personally write a Daily Kos diary about the subject, if you're interested in getting it out there. Good format for a resolved tale.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Dolash posted:

It kind of makes me wonder if this is what the other side of the political spectrum feels like when they're watching blowhard Fox personalities work them up into a frothy rage, except actually grounded in terrible things going on and not imagined liberal bogey-men.

Yes, except they remember their rage during the next election. :negative:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Soylentbits posted:

This was quite a few (over fifteen) years ago and the Sheriff is dead and the Town Manager moved out of the county and I have no idea where he is. Hell, I moved out of the county 13 years ago and out of the state four years ago.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Incidentally, passing debts that need to be collected to private collection agencies is a thing that happens all the time in other parts of the economy, so it's only natural that the industry spilled over into the public sector. When various loan companies give up on individuals paying back their debts, they sell the claim to the debt to private debt collectors, who then use debatably legal means to convince people into paying money. Of course, when you work for the US government, all those methods have an extra degree of legitimacy, so there's no limit to what they can do.

Not sure how prevalent bullshit fees on top of debt are when there isn't a real threat of jail time though.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This was quite a few (over fifteen) years ago and the Sheriff is dead and the Town Manager moved out of the county and I have no idea where he is. Hell, I moved out of the county 13 years ago and out of the state four years ago.
On the bright side, you didn't wind up dead and severely mutilated with "DUSTROY TROLY" burned into your chest!

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

notaspy posted:

One of the things that got me about the long form bit was how little of a shot the audience gave about what was happening and I'm going to put it down to class. The people of the receiving end of this poo poo seem to be working class folk.

I think Jon knew this was going to be a problem which is why he then did silly advert packed with middle class metropolitan folks.

What made you think the audience didn't give a poo poo? How could you tell?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

Come on Irish Joe, please explain how this process would only affect someone who's irresponsible with their money and a general law breaker.

Let me get the story straight:
1. Guy is arrested and it turns out he has an outstanding warrant over an unpaid fine.
2. He goes to court and shows that the fine was erroneous.
3. All the charges were dropped and he pays nothing.

I mean, not be a dick or anything, but it sounds like a perfect example of the system working as intended.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
You could just say you don't have the story straight.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Irish Joe posted:

1. Guy is arrested and it turns out he has an outstanding warrant over an unpaid fine.

I mean, not be a dick or anything, but it sounds like a perfect example of the system working as intended.

You forgot where he spent a weekend in jail and had to sure to get them to stop trying to collect their fees.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GutBomb posted:

You forgot where he spent a weekend in jail and had to sue to get them to stop trying to collect their fees.

I didn't forget anything. I'm just pointing out how the checks and balances built into our system to prevent injustice successfully prevented injustice in this instance. As tantalizing and sensational as it is, the idea that "I almost had to pay a fine because the system is broken!" doesn't supplant the reality of "I didn't have to pay a fine because the system isn't broken!"

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 27, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guys spending the weekend in jail is a perfectly reasonable thing to have to do if you have committed no crime.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think the whole "covertly adopted system of illegal state-sponsored extortion" part didn't really fit that beautiful idea of "checks and balances", Joe. But clearly, the system is working as intended if you have to pursue private legal action in order to not pay the exorbitant processing fees in excess of a thousand dollars in a $10 fine.

God forbid someone without access to a lawyer willing to do it pro bono were to get stuck in that situation!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Strobe posted:

I think the whole "covertly adopted system of illegal state-sponsored extortion" part didn't really fit that beautiful idea of "checks and balances", Joe. But clearly, the system is working as intended if you have to pursue private legal action in order to not pay the exorbitant processing fees in excess of a thousand dollars in a $10 fine.

God forbid someone without access to a lawyer willing to do it pro bono were to get stuck in that situation!

Bootstraps

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Irish Joe posted:

I didn't forget anything. I'm just pointing out how the checks and balances built into our system to prevent injustice successfully prevented injustice in this instance. As tantalizing and sensational as it is, the idea that "I almost had to pay a fine because the system is broken!" doesn't supplant the reality of "I didn't have to pay a fine because the system isn't broken!"

Ah, now I FINALLY understand Irish Joe's gimmick. All this time I thought he was just a personification of the just-world fallacy, but now I see that he's just a poster who doesn't understand survivorship bias.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Paper Kaiju posted:

Ah, now I FINALLY understand Irish Joe's gimmick. All this time I thought he was just a personification of the just-world fallacy, but now I see that he's just a poster who doesn't understand survivorship bias.

His gimmick is that he's trolling you people.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

IRQ posted:

His gimmick is that he's trolling you people.

Trolling or not, the dedication to his craft and consistency of his message is admirable.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I love this show, but it also depresses me. Bring on the nuclear fire, it's the ending we deserve.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Irish Joe posted:

Why am I responding to Joe?

1. Yes that is true. However I never received a ticket or a notice of the fine until the day the warrant was served.
  2. The $10 was dropped at the station actually. However I was informed that I still had to pay the $1450 in fees and surcharges before I could be released. I spent the weekend in jail and lost two days pay because of it among other things. If I had paid the fees, I could have gone free instantly, but I would have lost any chance of getting that money back.
  3. Yes. Because I had a lawyer that was not a public defender and actually knew what the gently caress they were doing. If I didn't I would have been hosed and the Sheriff and Town Manager would have continued ripping people off. They both lost their jobs after my civil suit was settled and about six others started up accusing them of pretty much the same thing. Notice I said civil. There was no way a criminal case would have made it through the cronyism, because that would have set an enforcement precedent and all the other small town police departments would be liable to be gone after.

And Joe, you're always a pus filled dick. Always.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Please Ignore Irish Joe

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Squall posted:

Please Ignore Irish Joe

I've had him on ignore for years. I only saw that because of people quoting him and it gave me the opportunity to give me a informed reason to call him a pus filled dick.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've had him on ignore for years. I only saw that because of people quoting him and it gave me the opportunity to give me a informed reason to call him a pus filled dick.

This is why I don't bother ignoring him. I know I'll eventually be trolled into responding to him seriously so why bother hiding him away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Collecting agencies are downright baffling. As a college-educated underemployed Californian from an upper-middle class family, I know a lot of people who regularly tangle and negotiate with those agencies for all manner of things.

A friend of mine goes to school up in Canada and was back home visiting family when he got into a car accident. He had to have a day of hospital care with a bill that came out to eight thousand dollars. There's a weird loophole where the canadian system won't cover him (I forgot the reason), so my friend is basically screwed. He goes back to Canada and keeps getting calls that sound almost exactly like the mafia, except instead of breaking legs they threaten jail time and a demolished credit score.

he finally gets some student loan money in (He's a PhD student) and decides to handle the problem. At this point they tell him he owes well over $12,000 due to interest.

My friend explains that he lives in Canada and will be planning to stay up there for at least the next decade as a Permanent Resident after school. "I'll give you two thousand dollars via check in the mail, today."

"Deal," they say. Last I heard he's good, though with a wrecked credit score if he ever ends up back in america in the near future.

----

It is rather telling that while I have to track down and make several calls if I want even the most basic of health services (I'm under a weird california version of medicaid), my student loan supervisors are consistently keeping track of absolutely everything I do.

• Locked thread