Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Robert Analog posted:

This isn't really what anyone is talking about but I would be uncomfortable listening to a gay rapper explicitly rap about sex.

so don't listen to them. that's fine. what wouldn't be fine would be getting on a soapbox and telling everyone about how that rapper is detrimental to society/hip-hop because of their lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Not the same thing obviously but the "black rap community" did do a total 180 on eating pussy over like a 10 yr or less period so i imagine the same thing will probably happen with other "rap taboos" such as homosexuality for example :shrug:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If you attempt to please your partner sexually you're a real bitch tbh

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

thathonkey posted:

Not the same thing obviously but the "black rap community" did do a total 180 on eating pussy over like a 10 yr or less period so i imagine the same thing will probably happen with other "rap taboos" such as homosexuality for example :shrug:

hahahahahaha you gotta be kidding me

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

This isn't really what anyone is talking about but I would be uncomfortable listening to a gay rapper explicitly rap about sex.

And I'm not comfortable listening to Biggie getting his dick sucked but that's why God invented the skip button.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
remember back in the 80s when people were beat within inches of their lives (or in some cases to death) for eating pussy. wow that was some really crazy times.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

I agree in that media impacts different people differently. Young thug is just being weird, and it's really dumb to not be able to handle it unless he comes out with a disclaimer 'yo i'm just being weird', because, yo, he's just being weird. Like, that's not really hard to figure out, and I think it's pretty ridiculous to think he scarring tons of black children by not coming with an explcit disclaimer.
Andre 3k went through the same thing until his verse on return of the gangsta. Black people are skeptical of entertainers in general because there are black entertainers who pander to white society for acceptance via being buffoons, weird, non-threatening, or self-degrading. It is embarrassing and a betrayal to those that are expected to perpetuate that performance for our real life bosses, police, peers, etc for acceptance. If thugga wants to be the mouth kissing, blouse wearing type of rapper, no one really cares. I like weird rappers and enjoy his music. But what's mindless entertainment for you is political for me and that robs the joy from it imo.

thathonkey posted:

I'd say rappers are encouraged financially and personally to impress female listeners now as opposed to 10 years ago. Which is another huge horrible discussion.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

temple posted:

If thugga wants to be the mouth kissing, blouse wearing type of rapper, no one really cares.

actually you're dead wrong and there are many very large communities that would be incredibly benefitted by a prominent black musician coming out of the closet but I think you have a tough time recognizing or acknowledging that because A. you don't belong to them and B. can't speak as an authority to it on the internet

temple
Jul 29, 2006

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

actually you're dead wrong and there are many very large communities that would be incredibly benefitted by a prominent black musician coming out of the closet but I think you have a tough time recognizing or acknowledging that because A. you don't belong to them and B. can't speak as an authority to it on the internet
But he's not gay.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Please lecture us more on what's good for us po' ol' nigras :allears:

If there's something white folks love, it's telling black people how they should think/feel/react. Dudes wanna try to strip all sociopolitical context from rap poo poo when it comes to race, but let some dude do some suspect homo poo poo and all of the sudden it's time to play "who's most progressive?" and dudes coming with sick burnz and whitesplaining.

And TONS of black entertainers have discussed how they see agendas from whites that try to control/distort black masculinity. So obviously when you get some dude who's starting to make a name running around talking about smoking penises and calling other dudes lover and hubby and wearing little girl's dresses, some people are gonna have issues with that-it definitely can be seen as another form of minstrelry and pandering to whites at the expense of other black people. And I know race issues aren't nearly as trendy and you won't get the retweets and facebook likes that seem to drive modern "progressives". But, like with 99% of everything in rap, there's definite race issues and to try to ignore them or talk down to people speaking on them is retarded as gently caress.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

remember back in the 80s when people were beat within inches of their lives (or in some cases to death) for eating pussy. wow that was some really crazy times.

Again. Tongue in cheek post :cripes: Obviously i dont think fans of eating v were ever subjected to the type of poo poo gay people have been and still are.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

i have a hard time thinking all of thugger's shtick is sincere tbh

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I love y'all and I would kiss every one of you in the mouth.

Also, I'm honestly excited for thug's album. That wobblity wibbity flow is cool

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Double posting with cringe worthy jokes is not a burn or funny! Also hating one dude=/= being a bigot you stupid motherfuckers.

Tremendous Taste posted:

i have a hard time thinking all of thugger's shtick is sincere tbh

They dress and dance like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i6D1yxmfpU

thathonkey posted:

lol

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Please list them my wise friend Dayday. What the christ

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Good explanation of why Young Thug is good.

Peak Thug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovA6iPznvzw

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

alansmithee posted:

TONS of black entertainers have discussed how they see agendas from whites that try to control/distort black masculinity. So obviously when you get some dude who's starting to make a name running around talking about smoking penises and calling other dudes lover and hubby and wearing little girl's dresses, some people are gonna have issues with that-it definitely can be seen as another form of minstrelry and pandering to whites at the expense of other black people.

This is an interesting one, see it a lot in this thread and it usually ends up with someone posting the Pac in the bath photo.

I definitely get the point. It's hard to figure out really, it's a totally new thing as far as I can figure. I dunno if people went around questioning the sexuality of Jazz players back in the day with the same scrutiny placed on some rapers nowadays.

I don't see how someone like Thug would necessarily appeal more to white people because of his sexual ambiguity.
Anything Thug does (or is) lately seems to be encouraged and developed a lot by Birdman and he never struck me as someone who was pandering to whites.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
Somehow the Kendrick discussion was "lame", but this is the really pressing one instead? Wow.

It is terribly sad how much over analysis people are having over a dude who is literally trolling on the Lil B level: remember his release on Itunes called "I'm gay"? Same type of poo poo. Wayne wears gender bending clothing sometimes and kisses dudes on the mouth, but no one takes this tact with him. There have been somewhat effeminate performers all throughout history and literally none of them has ruined society or w/e the gently caress people think is going to happen. One day we might get an openly gay rapper who hits it big and changes the climate of the very masculine rap game, but this ain't it.

No one gives a gently caress about Young Thug's sexuality or how he portrays it or whatever. It's all a ploy to get you to talk about him and it's working sooooo well. This isn't some sort of crafted and trained agent of the white people in order to subvert the black Male archtype, that's the most ridiculous poo poo i've ever heard. There is institutionalized racism all over the place, but the secret weapon has been Thugga all along? :cmon:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Yuzenn posted:

Somehow the Kendrick discussion was "lame", but this is the really pressing one instead? Wow.
I don't think you understood anything anyone said other than thug and gay. You can have an opinion without going "I'm mad as hell" before it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Seems like last week everybody judged TPAB as a 0 or perfect 10 and this week we hve all moved onto to music like 56 nights that is actually good to listen to :smug:

Either way this conversation is legit way more interesting

spoils
Nov 2, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Please lecture us more on what's good for us po' ol' nigras :allears:

If there's something white folks love, it's telling black people how they should think/feel/react. Dudes wanna try to strip all sociopolitical context from rap poo poo when it comes to race, but let some dude do some suspect homo poo poo and all of the sudden it's time to play "who's most progressive?" and dudes coming with sick burnz and whitesplaining.

And TONS of black entertainers have discussed how they see agendas from whites that try to control/distort black masculinity. So obviously when you get some dude who's starting to make a name running around talking about smoking penises and calling other dudes lover and hubby and wearing little girl's dresses, some people are gonna have issues with that-it definitely can be seen as another form of minstrelry and pandering to whites at the expense of other black people. And I know race issues aren't nearly as trendy and you won't get the retweets and facebook likes that seem to drive modern "progressives". But, like with 99% of everything in rap, there's definite race issues and to try to ignore them or talk down to people speaking on them is retarded as gently caress.

It's "minstrelsy" you dumb black man.

But I agree, though I don't think there is any sort of agenda on the part of whites to distort or control masculinity in black culture, that's pretty conspiratorial and unlikely in my O. It's supposed to be funny when someone very masculine or someone somewhat frightening to you wears a dress and acts like a woman, don't think there is much beyond that as lame as it is. Just like when people got mad when Lebron was on the cover of that mag with a white woman and he looked ultra masculine and people thought they were comparing him to King kong and all that poo poo. People just play off stereotypes for entertainment value, but there ain't much beyond that. And why do they do it? Because it sells for the moment, and people currently enjoy it. Once it won't sell and people get bored it will stop. It's all about what will sell the most. But, if Young thug isn't gay, then he sure acts really gay for attention, and his thing is becoming more uninteresting with each holier-than-thou progressive post
-A member of the coalition to keep black people gay foundation

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
New Apathy, "How To Breathe Underwater" off of his upcoming EP. The parts of the video with Ap in a tuxedo were shot at his wedding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVtr67glHbQ

Akala's latest album, "Knowledge is Power vol II" streaming on Noisey until it releases in a few days:
http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/stream-akalas-new-album

EDIT: goddamn this Akala album goes hard. Urge to Kill :stare:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 27, 2015

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

spoils posted:

It's "minstrelsy" you dumb black man.

But I agree, though I don't think there is any sort of agenda on the part of whites to distort or control masculinity in black culture, that's pretty conspiratorial and unlikely in my O. It's supposed to be funny when someone very masculine or someone somewhat frightening to you wears a dress and acts like a woman, don't think there is much beyond that as lame as it is. Just like when people got mad when Lebron was on the cover of that mag with a white woman and he looked ultra masculine and people thought they were comparing him to King kong and all that poo poo. People just play off stereotypes for entertainment value, but there ain't much beyond that. And why do they do it? Because it sells for the moment, and people currently enjoy it. Once it won't sell and people get bored it will stop. It's all about what will sell the most. But, if Young thug isn't gay, then he sure acts really gay for attention, and his thing is becoming more uninteresting with each holier-than-thou progressive post
-A member of the coalition to keep black people gay foundation

It is minstrelry you racist shitbag.

And again, everything said above just goes to prove my point (beyond the fact you're little more than a rambling troll)-to most white people it's no big deal, because they don't have any stake. Whites can brush off harmful depictions of blacks as being simply for money or jokes or whatever other dumb poo poo they wanna come up with because they don't care, it's not important/relevant to them. Blacks don't have the privilege of being able to dismiss depictions of them in the media as just being harmless jokes or cashing in on trends, because every image out there reflects on all of us.

And to think, I had been starting to think it was ok for white people to listen to rap. I'll never make that mistake again...

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 27, 2015

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5srziA1CS90

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

alansmithee posted:

And again, everything said above just goes to prove my point (beyond the fact you're little more than a rambling troll)-to most white people it's no big deal, because they don't have any stake. Whites can brush off harmful depictions of blacks as being simply for money or jokes or whatever other dumb poo poo they wanna come up with because they don't care, it's not important/relevant to them. Blacks don't have the privilege of being able to dismiss depictions of them in the media as just being harmless jokes or cashing in on trends, because every image out there reflects on all of us.
I take serious issue with Young Thug being a "harmful depiction of blacks", but you're not wrong about the rest.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

The tackle was kinda weak, but the casual toss back into the audience redeemed it imo.

Kenshin posted:

I take serious issue with Young Thug being a "harmful depiction of blacks", but you're not wrong about the rest.
In a vacuum I don't think he is either, but as i mentioned lots of dudes in entertainment do feel that there is an agenda out to emasculate black men. I wanna say it was last year Dave Chapelle did an Oprah interview where he talked about it a bit (and I think he also spoke on it in the past as well). It's not even necessarily a conscious thing. Like that idiot I quoted was saying about " It's supposed to be funny when someone very masculine or someone somewhat frightening"-black people are seen naturally as more masculine/frightening just by their existence. And unlike someone like Bowie, Thugga's "act" (which I'm not sure it is, or if it's not at least part of who he is since a lot of the "suspect" stuff came from before he was all that known so unless dude's running a long con it's not something he's entirely putting on) isn't allowed to just be him being himself-he's funny because he's supposed to be masculine and frightening but he's wearing dresses. Like even with dudes like Prince, I was reading something now long ago where he opened up early in his career for the Rolling Stones and dudes was calling the kinda effeminate gyrating black dude "fag" and "friend of the family" and stuff and were cheering for the kinda effeminate gyrating white dude who was fronting the main act.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > Yo! NMD Raps - I had been starting to think it was ok for white people to listen to rap

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

As a total sidenote, Slim Thug is p mad we've all just casually slid into calling YT Thugga.

spoils
Nov 2, 2012

alansmithee posted:

And to think, I had been starting to think it was ok for white people to listen to rap. I'll never make that mistake again...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/minstrelsy
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/minstrelry
wikitionary is not a dictionary, but you're probably into descriptivism anyway lol

Yeah, you're right. Tyler Perry/eddie murphy/wayans brothers don't dress like women for money or b/c they think it's funny themselves, they do it because they're told to by white society.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

All these thread title suggestions are fine but if it's not SMOKIN PENISES what's the point

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

spoils posted:

Yeah, you're right. Tyler Perry/eddie murphy/wayans brothers don't dress like women for money or b/c they think it's funny themselves, they do it because they're told to by white society.
They kinda are because lots people pay to see it

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

As a total sidenote, Slim Thug is p mad we've all just casually slid into calling YT Thugga.

This made me wonder what Thugga Sr. was up to...apparently writing for the NYT? (new york times, not new young thug)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/your-money/slim-thugs-real-estate-game-plan-dashed-by-a-dalliance.html?_r=0

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Tremendous Taste posted:

All these thread title suggestions are fine but if it's not SMOKIN PENISES what's the point

smokin penises!!!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

thathonkey posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > Yo! NMD Raps - calling other dudes lover and hubby

thathonkey posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > Yo! NMD Raps - calling other dudes lover and hubby

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 4, 2015

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

spoils posted:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/minstrelsy
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/minstrelry
wikitionary is not a dictionary, but you're probably into descriptivism anyway lol

Yeah alan i'm sorry but spoils is spot on with this one.

Kenshin posted:

They kinda are because lots people pay to see it

White people are the main consumers of all content period regardless of genre, lets not conflate the fact that they are the drivers of consumption immediately into some sort of master plan to devalue the black masculinity dynamic. Effectively that happened decades ago and we are only seeing the beginnings of the reclamation of the image. The mere fact that they are even allowed to make the stuff they make speaks to a whole different dynamic; the fact in of itself that those forms of expression and the topics that they broach are even accepted as widely as they are speaks directly to an improvement of the image, not devaluation.The Wayans and Perry similar in the fact that they are very powerful and influential artists who command an exorbitant amount of control and power in media and can do basically whatever they want. I worked for a Senator (who was white) who had to move and cancel his planned event because Perry was taking over the entire city block for a Madea premier. This is in the City of Newark none the less! Dude's got juice on a crazy level.

There is something to be said about black masculinity, but Young Thug is not a threat to it. In fact the fact that he can express in the way he can is a tremendous wave in the direction of absolutely free expression, not the other way around.

temple posted:

I don't think you understood anything anyone said other than thug and gay. You can have an opinion without going "I'm mad as hell" before it.

I know you love disagreeing with me, but I'm actually agreeing with most of your points here. Kiss me on the mouth or something here.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 27, 2015

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

more like bitch hubby quan eh eh

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Thugga Sr. had a good tape titled Thug Thursdays 2 last year

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This is about a gazillion times better than the last discussion we had about Young Thug.

Different topic: I know there isn't much love for Tech N9ne around here but if you do like him his latest video is really well done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxks3Z6QByc

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 27, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

spoils posted:

you're probably into descriptivism anyway lol
lmao

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

White people are the main consumers of all content period regardless of genre, lets not conflate the fact that they are the drivers of consumption immediately into some sort of master plan to devalue the black masculinity dynamic. Effectively that happened decades ago and we are only seeing the beginnings of the reclamation of the image. The mere fact that they are even allowed to make the stuff they make speaks to a whole different dynamic; the fact in of itself that those forms of expression and the topics that they broach are even accepted as widely as they are speaks directly to an improvement of the image, not devaluation.The Wayans and Perry similar in the fact that they are very powerful and influential artists who command an exorbitant amount of control and power in media and can do basically whatever they want. I worked for a Senator (who was white) who had to move and cancel his planned event because Perry was taking over the entire city block for a Madea premier. This is in the City of Newark none the less! Dude's got juice on a crazy level.

There is something to be said about black masculinity, but Young Thug is not a threat to it. In fact the fact that he can express in the way he can is a tremendous wave in the direction of absolutely free expression, not the other way around.
I'm not saying i agree or disagree, I'm just trying to point out when dudes do express the feeling that there is an "attack" for lack of a better word on black image, immediately dismissing it isn't the way to go, especially when there are dudes in the entertainment industry who also feel the same thing. And my point is kinda proven again-just because the Wayans/Tyler Perry think one thing about black culture, doesn't immediately invalidate what other black dudes think (nor mean they're right). It's not a monolithic entity where one viewpoint has to be taken as the "black" view. I actually remember that the Wayans were asked specifically to address the stuff Chapelle said, but haven't seen how they replied. I mean you could just as easily argue that the fact they're making stuff where they run around in drag is what's being allowed to them. I'd also question that Tyler Perry has that much media power since despite the fact his movies make crazy bank he's never really been able to get a deal with a larger studio. It's probably been better for him in the long run, but studios still see his stuff like ghetto poo poo that's beneath them.

Like, my whole thing is that the view that Thugga jr. is a "threat" to black masculinity or being propped up due to some subconscious desire in white folk to see blacks taken down a peg isn't ridiculous or totally without merit, even if it's not what's occurring in this case.

I mean me personally? I don't really care either way because music is music and as long as he keeps making stuff I get down with, I'll listen no matter how many frilly ballerina dresses he wears/penises he smokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Do any of Waka Flocka's albums/mixtapes primarily feature non-southern beats? I want to hear him on more stuff like the classic beats he was on for his Xmas thing he posted to soundcloud (well, not necessarily classic beats but non-trap/southern beats)