Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth.

Hagane no Renkinjutsushi, known in English as: Fullmetal Alchemist is a manga series by Hiromu Arakawa starring the Elric brothers, Edward and Alphonse, following their pursuit of a chance to return to their original forms after the horrific backlash from failed attempt to bring their mother, Trisha, back from the dead via Alchemy cost Ed an arm and leg, and Alphonse his entire body. Running from 2001 to 2010 in Square Enix's Monthly Shonen Gangan, Fullmetal Alchemist has been incredibly successful, spawning 2 full series, two movies, several video games, and a whole host of other content.

Characters:

Edward Elric:

The main character, and older brother, Edward Elric wants nothing more than to fix what he views as his own personal mistake and restore his younger brother, Al's body back to normal. While Ed's arm and leg were lost to the Gate of Truth and replaced with Automail prosthetics, he has in exchange become able to perform alchemy without needing to draw a circle, instead clapping his hands to transmute whatever he needs. Sometimes preoccupied with his height (or lack thereof), Edward can be brash and stubborn, and in his pursuit of the truth of alchemy gets in over his had more than once.

Alphonse Elric:

The younger of the Elric brothers. Having lost his body entirely, Alphonse has become bound to a suit of armor by a seal composed of Edward's blood. The more polite and level-headed of the two, Al is nevertheless almost as stubborn as Edward when push comes to shove. While Alphonse still performs alchemy using transmutation circles, being stuck in a 7 foot tall suit of metal armor has made him act as the muscle of the two, having never lost to his brother while sparring.

The first anime series, Fullmetal Alchemist, is well known for branching off around 15-20 episodes in and becoming it's own thing separate from the Manga. Both series are phenomenal shows and have their own separate strengths and weaknesses. While the first is darker, both do a great job of balancing humor and serious moments and contain sufficient punchman action.

This OP is by no means complete and I plan to add more to it, so if there's anything you'd like in it please let me know, and as an equivalent exchange please post!

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nice thread tag fucker

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

nice thread tag fucker

lmao I knew I was going to gently caress something up

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I like FMA better than Brotherhood

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Just read the manga. Problem solved.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Brotherhood is way better.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I like FMA better than Brotherhood

Same.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I like the third OP of Brotherhood because its funky if you know what I mean.

I think both series kind of suck though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

.Clash posted:

Just read the manga. Problem solved.

I haven't read it in a long time but I remember it not being as good as the anime in 7th grade

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
The first anime is rubbish as hell.

Dub > sub for Brotherhood by a mile.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I haven't read it in a long time but I remember it not being as good as the anime in 7th grade

The first anime is definitely darker if that's your thing, and it has the better visuals and sound of the two. It feels like a lot of characters just kind of slip by the wayside in it though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The first anime is darker but a lot less well-designed, cohesive, makes poorer use of characters and early development, and in general is a poorer work. (Though the manga is better than Brotherhood.) It has a better budget for certain but that's about it.

It suffers a lot from trying to basically write a story wholecloth from the first quarter of the manga using mostly characters who showed up there. It makes much poorer use of certain characters too. (Izumi Curtis is a standout here.)

Also it lacks the lady Armstrong who is the best character in the manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The manga is definitely the best iteration of the lot. There was a brief time early on in its life, when a lot of the foreshadowing and foundations for later awesome events had yet to transpire, that I think it could be argued that the first anime was better because it was a bit bolder/riskier/darker and since it was mostly able to tell a complete story a hell of a lot sooner (since it finished first). I think all told Bones did an admirable job of what they were given as a starting point. But it became a moot once the manga starting to pick up; basically no aspect of the story in the manga is not satisfactory at its worst or fan-loving-tastic at its best.

Brotherhood is an interesting curiosity but I don't think it's actually better than the manga in any particular way. I mean it's not that well animated and there's still a decent amount of cut content that disrupts the pacing. In fact the first 20 or so episodes are almost unacceptable and require either watching the first series or reading the bloody manga anyway to get any real sense of what "actually happened". Really the best thing I can say about Brotherhood is that some of the openings are catchy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I also didn't read all the manga because Viz charged $12 per volume and we didn't have internet yet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Brotherhood is an interesting curiosity but I don't think it's actually better than the manga in any particular way. I mean it's not that well animated and there's still a decent amount of cut content that disrupts the pacing. In fact the first 20 or so episodes are almost unacceptable and require either watching the first series or reading the bloody manga anyway to get any real sense of what "actually happened". Really the best thing I can say about Brotherhood is that some of the openings are catchy.
Iunno, I've shown just Brotherhood to people and they've gotten everything fine.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The manga is definitely the best iteration of the lot. There was a brief time early on in its life, when a lot of the foreshadowing and foundations for later awesome events had yet to transpire, that I think it could be argued that the first anime was better because it was a bit bolder/riskier/darker and since it was mostly able to tell a complete story a hell of a lot sooner (since it finished first). I think all told Bones did an admirable job of what they were given as a starting point. But it became a moot once the manga starting to pick up; basically no aspect of the story in the manga is not satisfactory at its worst or fan-loving-tastic at its best.

Yoki in particular is pretty egregious.

Also openings 3 and 5 own, 5 in particular is a fantastic sendoff to the franchise.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Endorph posted:

Iunno, I've shown just Brotherhood to people and they've gotten everything fine.

I've watched brotherhood first without knowing anything about the older show or the manga and I understood everything perfectly. No idea what that guy is talking about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah the only really bad thing is Yoki just sort of showing up, but you don't really need to see an entire episode about it to get what's going on there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yeah the only really bad thing is Yoki just sort of showing up, but you don't really need to see an entire episode about it to get what's going on there.

And to be fair it's kind of what Yoki deserves anyway

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

And to be fair it's kind of what Yoki deserves anyway
excuse you he ran pride over in a jeep. the man is a hero.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Manga > 03 anime > Brotherhood for me, but all are pretty good. Brotherhood just screwed up a few too many things for me personally, plus I think the original anime is really almost as good as the manga, the only thing really bringing it down are the last three episodes and the movie. I actually think it's kind of crazy how good they managed to make it with so little manga material, when so many other anime that forgo the original source material end up being so bad. I also kind of wish people wouldn't retroactively downplay the first anime now that Brotherhood is a thing. I have no problem with someone preferring Brotherhood to the first anime, but saying it shouldn't be watched simply because it doesn't follow the manga is a lame excuse to me. It's kind of weird how it was this big hit on the level of renown with shows like Evangelion or Bebop, but now all you ever hear people talk about is Brotherhood.

Sacred Star of Milos is the only FMA I haven't seen, which I need to rectify since the animation style looked really up my alley.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yoki owns. Also Envy's like my favorite character, but Brotherhood made me like him a lot more as a pathetic attention seeking little poo poo than FMA's daddy issues evil Ed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah 2003 tried to build up envy as this big villain (because he killed hughes i guess) but he's a lot more interesting when he spends half the series trapped in a glass jar doing basically nothing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

It's not a super complicated story, it's not like they went so far with cutting stuff that it got incomprehensible because it would be hard to actually do that so it's not surprising that people were not like lost or something. It still comes off as a cliffnotes version that rushed to get through a bunch of plot beats at the expense at any real sense of drama or character development. Ed/Al's actual childhood flashback which is like the basis for the whole story is pathetically portrayed as I recall, just blink and it's over. I dunno I guess I just can't be unbiased about it because I went into Brotherhood having read the manga and couldn't unsee all the seams where the cuts were, the base story is so good that it's not surprising people liked it as-is just fine if they had no previous knowledge about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Yoki owns. Also Envy's like my favorite character, but Brotherhood made me like him a lot more as a pathetic attention seeking little poo poo than FMA's daddy issues evil Ed.

Yeah, this is exactly the way I feel. Pathetic Little poo poo Envy is way better than some sort of giant evil big bad. He was such an rear end in a top hat.

I also like the manga (and to a lesser extent Brotherhood) for having an ending. A real, complete, thematically appropriate well-resolved ending that coherently ends the protagonist's arc.

(I did sort of ruin FMA for a friend of mine by pointing out that it's pretty easy to read it as a story of Edward heroically becoming an atheist though.)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I thought the original anime had a boatload of plot holes in the second half and was unnecessarily dark, so I find the manga and brotherhood way better.

Also the manga really avoided the old shounen trap of having a bunch of characters that contribute nothing to the overall story. The FMA manga really did a good job in making sure that nearly every character mattered.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
I really like the '03 anime, I found all the villains more interesting in that series. And I think the ending is pretty rad; it's uplifting without being a bland "and they all lived happily ever after" thing.

the movie can gently caress off tho

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

The most metal anime is Detroit Metal City please change the thread title TIA

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

The most metal anime is Detroit Metal City please change the thread title TIA

No

And it may be metal but it's not Fullmetal

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
OG FMA and FMA:B both have really rad OPs and pretty decent EDs. They might be what I remember most about either show. The 3rd Brotherhood OP popped into my head as soon as I saw this thread and steadfastly refuses to leave.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like the '03 series quite a bit. CoS has some cool ideas but flawed execution. Never been able to actually finish the manga or Brotherhood due to always eventually losing interest.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I like the '03 quite a bit. Never been able to actually finish the manga or Brotherhood due to always eventually losing interest.

They're pretty different beasts. I haven't finished 'em either because Brotherhood's first dozen episodes or so are really rough if you've seen the original since they skim over a lot. I know '03 padded that stuff out by a fair amount but that doesn't change the fact that it feels like a Cliff Note's take on the early material (especially since they do skip over canon stuff).

I wish Brotherhood pretended that it was an entirely new anime and that nobody had ever seen the original.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first anime hosed up by making Führer (i.e. Furor) King Bradley Pride instead of Wrath.

Mostly-joking aside, I never saw all of the original anime but of the parts I saw covered by both and the things unique to it I saw I like Brotherhood and how it did things more overall. Something about the 2003 one is... Odd. It's hard to put a precise point on it since it's been years since I've seen it, though; I guess I might have to check it out again sometime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I like how Bradley got shafted in the original Bones adaptation so in Brotherhood they basically set aside a good portion of the budget for whenever he was doing anything badass which it turned out was all the time.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

The first anime hosed up by making Führer (i.e. Furor) King Bradley Pride instead of Wrath.

Mostly-joking aside, I never saw all of the original anime but of the parts I saw covered by both and the things unique to it I saw I like Brotherhood and how it did things more overall. Something about the 2003 one is... Odd. It's hard to put a precise point on it since it's been years since I've seen it, though; I guess I might have to check it out again sometime.

Pride fits him so much better. He was in a position of personal power and was pretty chill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wrath doesn't fit him, but it works amazingly well considering who kills him in the manga/brotherhood.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like him as wrath because he's always composed right up until the moment he releases the limiter and goes ape on absolutely everybody

Then when he's done he composes himself, dusts himself off, and has some tea.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

bradley's death is dumb as hell in the 03 anime, but his last stand is loving amazing in the manga.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I think Wrath fits him, it's just too many people make the connection between wrath and impulsive, emotional anger when he's more a deep-seated, simmering stove of rage.

I remember when Sloth (in the manga) revealed his power a bunch of people thought it didn't fit, but what is sloth if not a waste of natural talent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

I think Wrath fits him, it's just too many people make the connection between wrath and impulsive, emotional anger when he's more a deep-seated, simmering stove of rage.

I remember when Sloth (in the manga) revealed his power a bunch of people thought it didn't fit, but what is sloth if not a waste of natural talent?

Sloth was perfect in the manga. He was too drat lazy to do anything without serious prodding, up to and including rolling around at the speed of sound.

• Locked thread