Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

SiKboy posted:

Personally I will certainly be suprised if I ever see any evidence of this.

What, you didn't like her Irish accent in Penny Dreadful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Capaldi is so great :allears:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

Also, Captain Yesterday, why is your av a potential GoT spoiler? Or not, I don't know/care.

Beats me, I don't know/care either.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Cobi, J-ru, didn't one of you review Engines of War, the War Doctor book? I've just finished it and wanted to see what others thought.

I read it too and thought it was fantastic. Gave me everything I wanted to see about the Time War, Rassilon, and the Daleks. Also made me want more War Doctor adventures.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CobiWann posted:

What, you didn't like her Irish accent in Penny Dreadful?

I think its fair to say

SiKboy posted:

Just finished watching the whole season over about 3 days. I actually liked it a lot more than I expected to. Some general comments;

1) Billy Piper as an actor can be (to be charitable) passable. Shes a better actress than she was a singer anyway. But jesus christ she cannot do accents, at all. She struggled to sound working class as Rose in doctor who, to ask her to layer working class and irish together was just cruel. They should either have cast an irish actress (or a british actress who can do a half decent irish accent without swinging between terry wogan and ian paisley within the same sentence) or changed the character so she wasnt irish because her nationality wasnt actually relevant to anything at any point.

that I'm not a fan, no. At least I'm consistant in my anti-piper prejudice.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
:siren: :siren: :siren:

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There is zero point zero chance that Eccleston is doing Big Finish, but if we get a Companion Chronicle with Billie Piper, I'd still be stoked.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Goodbye, wallet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They're not allowed to do anything cool until I catch up with them. Somebody tell them to hold off for a couple of years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh god, please don't let it be new 9 stories. Don't make me become an audio person. :suicide:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh god, please don't let it be new 9 stories. Don't make me become an audio person. :suicide:

Big Mean Jerk is pretending that he is not already an audio person, and he has posted about trying to listen to them before, which is funny.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

"We" can't agree on anything!

I personally still think The Eleventh Hour is a great introduction to the show, while Deep Breath definitely is not. The Eleventh Hour, by dint of being a brand new regeneration with a brand new showrunner with brand new companions in a brand new story is great because it doesn't require any excess baggage or explanations for the new viewer. Everybody gets exposed to this wonderful fairytale madman on the same level, and by the end the thumping music as the camera pans over to the wedding dress is such a great way of hooking the viewer into seeing what happens next. That's why I also still think Rose is a good intro, with the caveat that it had aged pretty horribly even 5 years ago, and only looks worse now.

Deep Breath has a good second half but a pretty appalling first half, and it's dragging a lot of baggage with it in terms of continuity and character. It's a little like The Christmas Invasion in that so much of it is NOT about the Doctor (and then he completely dominates the ending), which is still an interesting perspective but leaves any new viewer basically in the dark as to whether they would like to regularly watch this guy as the lead actor in a regular series.

I thought the first half of Deep Breath was hilarious, Vastra's pompous old-mentor bullshit notwithstanding, but out of all the series openers it might be the single worst one in the revival to introduce someone to the series since it's all about Clara's sudden character development in the face of adversity. Even The Impossible Astronaut has a lot of great moodiness and atmosphere to carry a confused new viewer through. Deep Breath's got almost nothing on offer if you don't have any familiarity with the characters and care little for ridiculous slapstick and anatomically improbable dinosaurs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Deep Breath is self-indulgent Moffat garbage. It's awful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Deep Breath is self-indulgent Moffat garbage. It's amazing.

There's no better garbage than indulgent garbage.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Deep Breath was a fun episode but I hate Vastra. Don't mind the other two, though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fine, FINE, I'll change the OP. You lied to me, Trin Tragula! You lied to all of us!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The second half of it was good. It was just trying to do a little too much and probably should have focused on the clockwork robots. I think they thought they needed the Pasternoster Gang because Clara was so new and we had a new Doctor, but it would have been fine without them. The dinosaur should have been a throwaway joke at the beginning, at absolute most.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Since you're changing the OP, classic Who is also broadcast on Drama in the UK.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll repeat what I said at the end of the last thread: "Rose" and the first season of the revival more generally (although I recognise that, by a number of subjective measures, it probably isn't as good as seasons four or five) have a special status in my eyes. I was born a couple of years after the classic series reached its end, but I'd been into Doctor Who since I was 10 or 11 thanks to a mixture of omnibus reruns on UK Gold, the first handful of BBC DVD releases, and even some of the BBC Books line (War of the Daleks by John Peel was the first one I read, and my introduction to the character of the Eighth Doctor); I remember getting a book token at school prize day in 2004 and using it for this great big episode guide called Doctor Who: The Legend, and I remember thinking it would be amazing if the series came back. Then, all of a sudden, it actually did! And better yet, as far as my 13 1/2 year-old self was concerned, it was for me! I've never had a "my Doctor" in the same way that some have, but the first season of the revival is and probably always will be my series.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The thinking behind "start with Deep Breath", in case anyone cares, was to get people caught up as quickly as possible with the Doctor that they were going to be seeing in new episodes, and trying not to put people off with "sure you can join in but first you need to watch eleventy-one years of old episodes with twiddly-two billion different lead actors".

CobiWann posted:

Was anyone here from the UK NOT surprised by the fact that Billie Piper could actually act?

I'd seen her in The Canterbury Tales (currently available on a popular video-sharing website), so no, it wasn't a surprise at all. IIRC, Outpost Gallifrey was split about 30/30/40 between "OMG it's Bonnie Langford all over again", "STFU she's great she was an actor before she was a pop star", and "Actually I'm more concerned about whether they're going to credit the lead actor as 'Doctor Who' or 'The Doctor'".

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 26, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

I'd seen her in The Canterbury Tales (currently available on a popular video-sharing website), so no, it wasn't a surprise at all. IIRC, Outpost Gallifrey was split about 30/30/40 between "OMG it's Bonnie Langford all over again", "STFU she's great she was an actor before she was a pop star", and "Actually I'm more concerned about whether they're going to credit the lead actor as 'Doctor Who' or 'The Doctor'".

Around the time, I was chiefly concerned by my discovery that they wouldn't be doing four-part 25-minute serials. :v:

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

"We" can't agree on anything!

(snip)

I agree with you.

CobiWann posted:

Bugger.

Has it really been four Doctors in ten years?

Well, five if you count Hurt.

Six if you count Paul McGann!

You always count Paul McGann! You can always count ON Paul McGann (to be an excellent Doctor (even with what the Fox movie gave him to work with))!

Damnit, I still say we need a series/series of specials with him. He was robbed!

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Astroman posted:

I read it too and thought it was fantastic. Gave me everything I wanted to see about the Time War, Rassilon, and the Daleks. Also made me want more War Doctor adventures.

I read the wiki about it. I still don't understand this:

1) The TARDIS can travel in time

2) The TARDIS can move planets

3) They know the Daleks originated on Skaro

4) Go back in time to when Skaro was first starting to form, and toss it into its star.

5) Problem solved.

The entire billion year history of Skaro can't be time locked.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Why not? I've always got the impression that pretty much all of Gallifrey's history is.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

PowerBuilder3 posted:

4) Go back in time to when Skaro was first starting to form, and toss it into its star.

5) Problem solved.

I think that the entire point of the time war was because of this. Dalek's get interrupted by The Doctor, suffer complete defeat, and determine that this just will now do. They develop space travel, time travel, incredibly powerful weaponry, etc. Now the Daleks go back in time and defend Skaro from attack in its infancy, seed the beginning of time with Daleks, and start annihilating the universe. Time Lords respond in kind and the time streams become so entangled and twisted that it just boils down to blowing each other up the old fashioned way.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, I think once the Dalek's achieved extensive time travel, they would essentially exist outside of time, even if someone destroyed Skaro.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It kind of goes without saying that any society which invents time travel would invent protections from altering their own history, or else alter history to the point of not inventing time travel, during the period in which a privileged elite few would have access to the technology.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Teek posted:

Yeah, I think once the Dalek's achieved extensive time travel, they would essentially exist outside of time, even if someone destroyed Skaro.

Someone destroyed Skaro even though the Doctor told him not to use the Hand of Omega, right after he said not to throw him in the briar patch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

Someone destroyed Skaro even though the Doctor told him not to use the Hand of Omega, right after he said not to throw him in the briar patch.

Time to begin penning a letter to the Doctor Who Experience with an idea for a musical log flume ride.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So...this is my first Who convention and I am NOT prepared for this. So many utili-kilts...so many fezzes...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

CobiWann posted:

So...this is my first Who convention and I am NOT prepared for this. So many utili-kilts...so many fezzes...

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Time to begin penning a letter to the Doctor Who Experience with an idea for a musical log flume ride.

You really want Joseph Lidster to write that for you?

CobiWann posted:

Hey, I'm still at work! Spoiler-tag that poo poo!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-licenced-extended-to-2020

Good news!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

PantsOptional posted:

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

It's worse. I just got to the ponies.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

CobiWann posted:

It's worse. I just got to the ponies.

Is it just you out there or did you take your family with you?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Thunderfinger posted:

Is it just you out there or did you take your family with you?

Just me for now, wife and kiddo coming tonight.

I am proud of myself. Colin and Sophie just walked by and I didn't fanboy out.

As i said, lot of fezzes, lot of scarves, a few spoons, and enough naked fat flesh to convince me that I'm going on a drat diet when this is over.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

CobiWann posted:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can only imagine an American Who convention as being fezzes, bowties, converse hi-tops and TARDIS dresses as far as the eye can see. And DoctorWhat as the sole Classic Who holdout, constantly having to explain who he is.

"The sixth Doctor. No, the sixth. Colin Baker. No, the one with the scarf was Tom Baker."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

I can only imagine an American Who convention as being fezzes, bowties, converse hi-tops and TARDIS dresses as far as the eye can see. And DoctorWhat as the sole Classic Who holdout, constantly having to explain who he is.

"The sixth Doctor. No, the sixth. Colin Baker. No, the one with the scarf was Tom Baker."

I did just see a teenager with green bubble wrap on one hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I did just see a teenager with green bubble wrap on one hand.

That warms my heart no end. Maybe there is hope. :unsmith:

• Locked thread