Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I dislike spoilers because they impact how I view something on my first experience. Regardless of "the journey is the point," that journey is changed if you have a road map beforehand. In particular with Bravely Default knowing your fairy companion is evil the entire time absolutely changes how you view certain scenes. It isn't that knowing Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father ruins things, it is knowing that beforehand makes the gradual buildup come across differently. The emotional investment of surprise and subverted expectations is something that is lost.

It's also, frankly, just kind of a dick move to go "I don't care about spoilers so gently caress you" because if you don't care about spoilers there is nothing hurting your experience by looking them up, but if someone else does then spoiling it for them does hurt their experience.

I agree. Spoilers change the first time experience. Some people like how it changes things. Others do not. For everyone, it usually depends on the content and exactly what is being spoiled.

Spoiler tags are specifically designed to cater to both kinds of people. Not caring enough to use them is a very inconsiderate "gently caress you. Got mine!" sort of attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I had Odin's fate in FFVIII ruined to me by a friend who just casually dropped it out of nowhere. Just a cool, funny moment I couldn't be surprised by, just because. I wasn't mad, but it was a funny moment I would've probably been better off being blindsided by.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Harlock posted:

I finished Type Zero. It really falls apart in later chapters. This will probably be the last time I think about it.

I just finished it too!

It was a real letdown in chapter 7 when you're finally taking on the empire, there's so much build up but then you don't even march on their towns or anything, there's just one easy boss fight and the war is over. And they make you walk home too.

Chapter 8 though :stare:

Apparently NG+ makes it all come together. There's a couple of interesting hooks for it in the lore record that unlocks after the ending. I'm going to give it a rest for a couple of days and then start a second playthrough.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I dislike spoilers because they impact how I view something on my first experience. Regardless of "the journey is the point," that journey is changed if you have a road map beforehand. In particular with Bravely Default knowing your fairy companion is evil the entire time absolutely changes how you view certain scenes. It isn't that knowing Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father ruins things, it is knowing that beforehand makes the gradual buildup come across differently. The emotional investment of surprise and subverted expectations is something that is lost.

It's also, frankly, just kind of a dick move to go "I don't care about spoilers so gently caress you" because if you don't care about spoilers there is nothing hurting your experience by looking them up, but if someone else does then spoiling it for them does hurt their experience.

I agree but the main point I was making fun of whoever that poster was was that no one was posting spoilers or anything that could be mistaken for spoilers unless you were a massive idiot. Someone said "I think this might happen later. If it happened I would not be surprised." Neither of those statements are anything close to saying "This happens." and it really really does not require you to make a post screaming at them like an idiot which is what I was saying when making fun of that poster. I mean there's reasons to want to yell at gologle but that was just stupid.

Spoilers can suck, I get that, but that post had nothing to do with spoilers it was just someone being dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I agree but the main point I was making fun of whoever that poster was was that no one was posting spoilers or anything that could be mistaken for spoilers unless you were a massive idiot. Someone said "I think this might happen later. If it happened I would not be surprised." Neither of those statements are anything close to saying "This happens." and it really really does not require you to make a post screaming at them like an idiot which is what I was saying when making fun of that poster. I mean there's reasons to want to yell at gologle but that was just stupid.

Spoilers can suck, I get that, but that post had nothing to do with spoilers it was just someone being dumb.

Yeah, I was just responding in general honestly. There were no actual spoilers there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Tabata on FF15's all male cast via Gamespot: "Speaking honestly, an all-male party feels almost more approachable for players. Even the presence of one female in the group will change their behavior, so that they’ll act differently. So to give the most natural feeling, to make them feel sincere and honest, having them all the same gender made sense in that way."

I guess he feels like if men are around women, they can't be honest and that men and women can't be platonic friends. I guess 31 year old married dudes aren't their target demo so I can't really understand that and that's just the way it is. I'd just chalk it up to their current writers not being able to write a convincing female co-lead but whatever. He also says something about wanting players to see them acting one way around each other and another way around women later in the story as part of their growing up and that they're covering new ground with this coming-of-age style of story :lol:. I guess he felt like the all-male party was an elephant in the room with the game but I don't know that he did a good job addressing it.

At this point I'd just like the game to come out so I can see the boy band shenanigans and unnecessarily complicated background mythology get in the way of story-telling as per usual.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Yeah the correct response would have been "we made this cast of twenty-somethings all-male because we figured their being super awkward around girls would speak to our core demographic." Vaguely insulting and technically true, just the way it should be.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bloodychill posted:

Tabata on FF15's all male cast via Gamespot: "Speaking honestly, an all-male party feels almost more approachable for players. Even the presence of one female in the group will change their behavior, so that they’ll act differently. So to give the most natural feeling, to make them feel sincere and honest, having them all the same gender made sense in that way."

I guess he feels like if men are around women, they can't be honest and that men and women can't be platonic friends. I guess 31 year old married dudes aren't their target demo so I can't really understand that and that's just the way it is. I'd just chalk it up to their current writers not being able to write a convincing female co-lead but whatever. He also says something about wanting players to see them acting one way around each other and another way around women later in the story as part of their growing up and that they're covering new ground with this coming-of-age style of story :lol:. I guess he felt like the all-male party was an elephant in the room with the game but I don't know that he did a good job addressing it.

At this point I'd just like the game to come out so I can see the boy band shenanigans and unnecessarily complicated background mythology get in the way of story-telling as per usual.

Nah.

quote:

For Tabata, the journey will have the cast adopting what he dubs a "boys will be boys" type demeanor. "It was the story we wanted to tell and what we wanted to show players," he explained.

"The world might be ready to see the curtain lifted on what boys do when girls aren't around, when they come out of the tent all prim and proper. That's kind of the idea behind it… we think, male or female player, that everyone will feel a certain connection and bond with the four characters."

It's just lovely Japanese gender norms talking.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I would have just said that when a group of guys go out together it is common for them to act a bit differently than they would when the girls are around and leave it vague like that.

I doubt that he actually meant that guys are incapable of being honest when around girls.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CeallaSo posted:

Yeah the correct response would have been "we made this cast of twenty-somethings all-male because we figured their being super awkward around girls would speak to our core demographic." Vaguely insulting and technically true, just the way it should be.

:agreed:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wait the cast is all male? how are they gonna sell anime figures and poo poo then

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Square is actually really bad at merchandising stuff like that if you haven't noticed.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

epitasis posted:

wait the cast is all male? how are they gonna sell anime figures and poo poo then

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So FFX-2 is what Square thinks girls are like without guys

FFXV is what they think guys are like without girls

So XIII-3 is what they think people are like when they're alone?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Eej posted:

Square is actually really bad at merchandising stuff like that if you haven't noticed.

True, most of the plushes and crap have gotten for myself and friends were neither made nor licensed by SE. They are pretty terrible at merchandising their very merchandisable game series.

VVV Pretty sure that's just Toriyama's bedroom.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 27, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Eej posted:

I was trying to find that one picture of the bedroom that's full of Lightning merchandise but I can't find it and I don't know if I was just imagining it or getting confused with another video game character

E: When I was searching I found a bizarre Prada/Final Fantasy crossover I've never seen before

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 27, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats the point of an anime series if not to sell anime figures. I'll never understand Japan

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's like none of you have heard of Play Arts Kai before.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Phantasium posted:

It's like none of you have heard of Play Arts Kai before.

:thejoke:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ah yes, four incredibly hot guys with different colorful personalities going on a trip, sharing the tent, with no girls in sight. Speaking to absolutely no demographic at all with that one in merchandising.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
how did I not think of the dildo aspect

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Man, Record Keeper loving owns.

When does the Triple Triad game come to my iPhone?

Eej posted:

Nah.

It's just lovely Japanese gender norms talking.

lovely Japan gender norms in regards to a series that has historically had female cast members throughout pretty much it's entire run, at least four-five (depending on who you ask) games with women as the main characters, including a trilogy they just completed? Um. Sure you're not pulling that one of your rear end and blaming a culture you know little about when it seems that the developers just wanted to do something different this time?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 27, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The one franchise that should get a pass in having an all-male cast is Final fantasy, like jeez. FF probably makes up half of all the leading females in video games at this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Reminds me of John Carpenter's reason for The Thing having an all-male cast which was pretty much 'it doesn't happen very often, so I wanted to do it.'

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So the response to people who complained about X-2 was "Are you afraid you'll lose your balls if you play it." from what I recall in australia, so the opposite response here is "Are you afraid you'll grow some balls"? I dunno?

Just hope it's good.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Tae posted:

The one franchise that should get a pass in having an all-male cast is Final fantasy, like jeez. FF probably makes up half of all the leading females in video games at this point.

Resident Evil making up the other half. RE4 was the only main entry where you'd spend less than half the time playing as a woman, although you'd have to use co-op in 5 and 6 to play as some of them.

While we get to see a lot of interaction between Noctis' friends in the demo, Noctis rarely talks to them, apart from making excuses when he accidentally hits them. They might have done this so he won't say something that doesn't match what the player is doing, like where they are going or how difficult a battle was.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
For the country with the "lovely gender norms" I feel like Japan does female characters better than other territories despite all the poo poo they get. loving Chris Lightfellow.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 28, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

That loving Sned posted:

Resident Evil making up the other half. RE4 was the only main entry where you'd spend less than half the time playing as a woman, although you'd have to use co-op in 5 and 6 to play as some of them.

While we get to see a lot of interaction between Noctis' friends in the demo, Noctis rarely talks to them, apart from making excuses when he accidentally hits them. They might have done this so he won't say something that doesn't match what the player is doing, like where they are going or how difficult a battle was.

So trip report, is it fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

For the country with the "lovely gender norms" I feel like Japan does female characters better than other territories despite all the poo poo they get. loving Chris Lightfellow.

Well, A does not discount B. You can have female leads and still have them have pretty creepy or gross roles. See the ten billion 'these characters are made for nerds to buy hug pillows of" kind of characters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've been playing Record Keeper now that it's out in english. It's okay! The first day was great. Second day? Not so much, the game constantly drops connection for no reason, and it's not my internet or device because the other games I have still run fine.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Himuro posted:

lovely Japan gender norms in regards to a series that has historically had female cast members throughout pretty much it's entire run, at least four-five (depending on who you ask) games with women as the main characters, including a trilogy they just completed? Um. Sure you're not pulling that one of your rear end and blaming a culture you know little about when it seems that the developers just wanted to do something different this time?

Yo, tell me more about how Tabata went back in time and worked on all of said four-five games with women as main characters and how this gives him the karmic license to make a game with none.

I don't know why you're defending a guy who literally said that, in a work of fiction, it does not make sense for men and women to interact in a sincere and honest manner. That once you throw in a person with the opposite genitalia into an otherwise functioning group of men everything changes because that's just the way it is. Also he uses the phrase "boys will be boys" in a positive manner.

Maybe the boy band concept was actually originally Nomura's double Gackt fever dream come true and Tabata is just covering up for that decision but anyone dropping truisms about how men and women just can't be friends in TYOOL 2015 deserves all the mockery they get for their regressive worldview.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The all-boy game concept didn't need any justification in this context until Square Enix started trying to defend it, badly.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
As a long-time PAD player, Record Keeper has some really clunky menus. It's just... slow and requires a lot of poking at it.

(also do mages ever get good, I just want five melee dudes and they will be even better when I save up to get some real weapons from the gacha)

e: and I guess also should I be bothering with weapon upgrade crap or just waiting for better ones to drop until I get 50 mythril for bonus free gacha roll?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 28, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Eej posted:

Also he uses the phrase "boys will be boys" in a positive manner.

That was moment when I realized he would have been better off just not talking about it all and just writing it all off as "hey we're doing something different this time like we did with X-2." I like Tabata's openness about the development but he probably needs to stick to the game and avoid social controversy. While I'm still optimistic about the game after that demo, I have my own reservations about all this and it doesn't help that Tabata directed 3rd Birthday...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Good lord, people, calm down. "How dare he suggest that hormoned-up teenage boys might act differently around girls! That is SOOOO backwards and sexist! What world is he living in?! He shouldn't have even opened his mouth!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

The all-boy game concept didn't need any justification in this context until Square Enix started trying to defend it, badly.

Pretty much this, I think. The more you try to justify it the worse it sounds as opposed to just going "yep, this is the cast."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much this, I think. The more you try to justify it the worse it sounds as opposed to just going "yep, this is the cast."

I agree it didn't need justification, but that doesn't mean there aren't a huge amount of people complaining "why aren't there women in the playable cast?!", furrowing their brows in a vain attempt to understand the situation. It's not that weird that the question came up and he answered it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Eej posted:

Yo, tell me more about how Tabata went back in time and worked on all of said four-five games with women as main characters and how this gives him the karmic license to make a game with none.

I don't know why you're defending a guy who literally said that, in a work of fiction, it does not make sense for men and women to interact in a sincere and honest manner. That once you throw in a person with the opposite genitalia into an otherwise functioning group of men everything changes because that's just the way it is. Also he uses the phrase "boys will be boys" in a positive manner.

Maybe the boy band concept was actually originally Nomura's double Gackt fever dream come true and Tabata is just covering up for that decision but anyone dropping truisms about how men and women just can't be friends in TYOOL 2015 deserves all the mockery they get for their regressive worldview.

I just don't get why people give a gently caress or how you even managed to interpret what he said in that way.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I was trying to find that one picture of the bedroom that's full of Lightning merchandise but I can't find it and I don't know if I was just imagining it or getting confused with another video game character

E: When I was searching I found a bizarre Prada/Final Fantasy crossover I've never seen before

sazh looking fly as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(also do mages ever get good, I just want five melee dudes and they will be even better when I save up to get some real weapons from the gacha)

The casters pretty much live and die on upgrading abilities; my Rydia is easily cranking out twice as much damage as non-Synergized characters wielding three-star weapons but with four Blizzards and four Thunders she's left to being a tactical nuke against the boss and not much else. Once you're able to farm up enough orbs to boost spells to 6/8 uses apiece the mages will get pretty beastly, that just won't happen for a little while.