Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

at least in this one, when you need your partner to help you open a door, they just teleport over rather than running against a wall for 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Wanderer posted:

If you're relying on the AI for any serious length of time, you're doing it wrong. The game is made to encourage you to "zap" back and forth repeatedly, or to at least control your main character during combat sections.
Yeah, there are purposely skills in the game that are meant to motivate you to switch to get increased damage. Like a good strategy I found with Claire and Moira is to initially stun an enemy playing as Moira with the flashlight and when the enemy is stunned then Claire's AI will make her run up to context melee the enemy. As she is running up though, you switch over to Claire and in that time you get the damage boost from switching and then do a charged up context melee. You end up doing a metric poo poo ton of damage and coordinate properly with the AI.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

blackguy32 posted:

God drat, somehow they managed to make a game with worse AI than RE5.

Just ignore them, if you're playing as the Claire/Barry. They're basically invincible and as long as they're "able" to get to the door, they'll teleport over when you open it. Watch a speedrun of the campaign and you'll see how easy they are to abuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_IVGbTAYNQ

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

If I haven't played RE5 yet, is it worth it to drop the extra 15 bucks for the DLC?

Also, I still can't get RE4 to work :(

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

If I haven't played RE5 yet, is it worth it to drop the extra 15 bucks for the DLC?

Also, I still can't get RE4 to work :(

The one where you play as Chris and Jill is the best RE thing they had done in years until Revelations came out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It was mainly while I was trying to stun the enemy with my flashlight, Claire would go off and do some stupid poo poo and get the poo poo kicked out of her.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

blackguy32 posted:

It was mainly while I was trying to stun the enemy with my flashlight, Claire would go off and do some stupid poo poo and get the poo poo kicked out of her.

Ok yeah, that'll happen. Do you have the "partner has infinite ammo" skill? That'll help keep them from doing that a bit, but they still like to run up and melee things.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm so excited I can finally get RE5 on PC working. It's been years since I've played through the main game; everything that's come since doesn't quite satisfy like RE5's co-op does. It'll also be a somewhat new experience since I exclusively played splitscreen back on 360. It looks great for the most part--but I forgot how gnarly the mouth movements are.

Not sure how I feel about dropping $15 for the DLC right out of the gate, though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I never got the chance to play RE5 co-op, and it's still one of my favourite games in the series. I'd wait for the inevitable Halloween sale before dropping the money on the DLC though. I mean, it's good, but it's not that good.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Still kind of pissed that consoles have had this dlc for 5 years or so already. I'll pick it up when it's a buck or two.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The GFWL save converter tool for RE5 isn't working yet, correct?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I never got the chance to play RE5 co-op, and it's still one of my favourite games in the series. I'd wait for the inevitable Halloween sale before dropping the money on the DLC though. I mean, it's good, but it's not that good.

Yeah, a friend and I have been trying to get through the RE 6 campaign in co-op, but it's such a slog at times, especially if you just want to have fun shooting stuff and don't feel like mastering the melee system.

Now that RE 5 is on steam I think we'll jump over to that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

As someone with that opinion, I'm curious when you started playing them and which one you played first.

I bought the original RE game when it first came out and think RE2 is the best game (REMake is it's own thing, it's not fair to compare it to the older ones), but I'd like to know the perspective of someone that holds RE5 in such high regard.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sir Tonk posted:

As someone with that opinion, I'm curious when you started playing them and which one you played first.

I bought the original RE game when it first came out and think RE2 is the best game (REMake is it's own thing, it's not fair to compare it to the older ones), but I'd like to know the perspective of someone that holds RE5 in such high regard.

I started playing with Resident Evil 2 and I think RE5 is probably my favorite. The coop add a lot of fun to it, plus it gets us to the showdown between Chris and Wesker. It is hard for me to go back to a lot of the old stuff anymore because I played them to the point where it feels like I am playing a loving door opening simulator. For fucks sake Capcom, I get that it is for nostalgia purposes, but at least let us skip those drat loading screens.

My least favorite is probably Resident Evil 3. I still can't get over their choice of a costume for that game and I really just find the game kind of bland. She doesn't even bother to take off the sweater wrapped around her waist. But im not counting RE:0. That is easily the worst for me. But I am weird, RE:CV is my 2nd favorite.

Finally, I can't help but think that Raid mode in Rev 2 is super formulaic. I really hope Capcom patches in something because it feels kind of dull. I kind of wish they would just port the stages over from Rev 1.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I kinda hated RE5. I still have PTSD about endless, endless, endless instant-kill quicktime events. I honestly think the game could be ten times better just by their exclusion alone, but they're so ingrained into every portion of the game that Capcom would never do it.

A shame; when they included just such an option for RE6 on the PC, it instantly improved my impression of the game.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 27, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I started with RE2 then went straight to Code Veronica. I've never played RE1 in any flavor nor have I played RE3 :ssh:

That being said, I enjoy RE5 for the Wesker fights but goddamn I hate playing the game since it expects you to move around a lot in combat zones but doesn't let you dodge poo poo while you're aiming. I wish RE5 had the mechanics of RE6.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
I bought Gold Edition last night on steam, if anyone (which I doubt) is interested in playing coop with me. Add: Kagami_Toxsyl. I'm under the name Jun now.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I am "always" down for RE.

Especially 5.

I wonder if they have the saves still, from GFWL.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

There will be a way to port over your GFWL save. It's in Options but not working yet.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Sir Tonk posted:

I've been playing them from the beginning, and I've pretty much played them all in order (except for REmake, since I never had a Gamecube back then, and spinoffs like Gun Survivor, which barely count anyway). RE2's probably my favourite of the classics. I never did finish CV, though if I did, that'd probably be a close second.

With RE5, I think its that it's everything that I liked about RE4, but moreso. There's a bajillion unlockables, the gun upgrade system is back and now there's a ton of new guns, the story's even more batshit and it has Chris punching a loving boulder. And it has the best incarnation of Wesker in the series. I know RE5 takes a lot of poo poo, some of it justified (the limited inventory after RE4 is bullshit, there is no question), a lot of it unfair, but when you get down to it, it's a game I could - and have - played over and over again. And if I ever get some friends to finally do co-op with me, I'll play it again with them.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Resident Evil 3 is the best Resident Evil. Nemesis owns, being a dick to Brad owns, crafting loving ice grenades like your playing Parasite Eve owns, the nonsensical layout of the city streets owns, and watching the Umbrella Mercs be the worst paramilitary team in a series that also features STARS owns. Hunters are better than Lickers, even when they're goofy-rear end frogmen, and Carlos is actually a fun sub-character to play as for the first time in the series.

Even the puzzles are peak Resident Evil insanity. Yeah, lemme just pop this stone book guarded by a lightning fountain into the hand of a statue so I can get at the Mayor's secret stash, which contains nothing but a car battery. Oh, this door in the power station is locked? Better alter the entire city's power grid to get in there and grab me some gunpowder. Oh no, Nemesis is back after killing him to death like eight times? Good thing this warehouse has a motherfucking railgun.

RE3 is the best RE.

Edit: I just remembered the part where the button to make the antidote to the crazy monster virus is also the button to unleash the crazy monsters.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 28, 2015

Adeptus
May 1, 2009
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know if the FoV mod for Resident Evil 5 works on the steamworks version of the base game? According to the PC gaming wiki it can cause crashes on the Gold edition, but I was thinking of getting the standard version as the DLC's pretty overpriced.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I'm a bit confused on the whole RE5 on PC situation. If I bought the game when it was on sale with RE4 HD, I can play it without having to deal with GFWL, right? I don't need to buy a new version? If so, I'd be totally looking forward to actually playing that game co-op for once. I did everything there was to do solo on the 360 but never had the stomach to deal with the AI on veteran (I think that was the name of the hardest difficulty?)

therealjon_ posted:

If you bought it on Steam it's automatically converted to Steamworks.

Thank you. I'd be totally looking to kill time waiting for more Raid or KF2.

Broose fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 28, 2015

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

If you bought it on Steam it's automatically converted to Steamworks.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

blackguy32 posted:

I started playing with Resident Evil 2 and I think RE5 is probably my favorite. The coop add a lot of fun to it, plus it gets us to the showdown between Chris and Wesker. It is hard for me to go back to a lot of the old stuff anymore because I played them to the point where it feels like I am playing a loving door opening simulator. For fucks sake Capcom, I get that it is for nostalgia purposes, but at least let us skip those drat loading screens.

My least favorite is probably Resident Evil 3. I still can't get over their choice of a costume for that game and I really just find the game kind of bland. She doesn't even bother to take off the sweater wrapped around her waist. But im not counting RE:0. That is easily the worst for me. But I am weird, RE:CV is my 2nd favorite.

Finally, I can't help but think that Raid mode in Rev 2 is super formulaic. I really hope Capcom patches in something because it feels kind of dull. I kind of wish they would just port the stages over from Rev 1.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've been playing them from the beginning, and I've pretty much played them all in order (except for REmake, since I never had a Gamecube back then, and spinoffs like Gun Survivor, which barely count anyway). RE2's probably my favourite of the classics. I never did finish CV, though if I did, that'd probably be a close second.

With RE5, I think its that it's everything that I liked about RE4, but moreso. There's a bajillion unlockables, the gun upgrade system is back and now there's a ton of new guns, the story's even more batshit and it has Chris punching a loving boulder. And it has the best incarnation of Wesker in the series. I know RE5 takes a lot of poo poo, some of it justified (the limited inventory after RE4 is bullshit, there is no question), a lot of it unfair, but when you get down to it, it's a game I could - and have - played over and over again. And if I ever get some friends to finally do co-op with me, I'll play it again with them.

That's interesting. RE5 definitely played quite well, a definite improvement to RE4, but I guess I just group them all together instead of separating the Alone In The Dark style games from the Gears Of War style games. I'd rather the over-the-should games have gotten a subtitle, like Revelations has, instead of being considered part of the main series, given the radically different playstyle. RECV and REMake seemed like a much better direction for the franchise, in general, but I enjoyed the horror more than the action. Although I could see someone starting to play them around the time of RE5 being very turned off by the controls in the first three games. They're intensely frustrating and very much a product of their time.

That's also why I like RER2 so much. It's very much a combination of RE2 and RER and playing the campaign over and over to get S rank on everything still isn't all that tedious.

Crowetron posted:

Resident Evil 3 is the best Resident Evil.

I like what they tried to do with the formula, but the constant fights with Nemesis drove me nuts back when it came out and I haven't gone back to it other than to watch Carcinogen speedrunning it every so often.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I've played through REmake twice, I've finished 4, 5, 6, and Revelations at least a dozen times each, I even have both Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles. I don't find anything in these games scary anymore.

Nemesis, however, provokes some primal fear in me that I have never been able to overcome, and to this day I haven't ever finished RE3.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

therealjon_ posted:

There will be a way to port over your GFWL save. It's in Options but not working yet.

There's no ETA on it, right? Because I sure don't want to have to unlock all that poo poo again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The first time I played nemesis was the only time the RE series legitimately scared me. Then I continued playing the following day and it had already lost its impact. Then once I found out that he dropped weapon upgrades hunting season began.

But still, I'll always appreciate it for that one night.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
I remember being a tiny baby and playing RE3 when it first came out and trail blazing that poo poo, until I realized hard was normal mode. That game is something else, I wanna love it, but I can't really get into it like I can RE2 and Remaster.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

DanielCross posted:

Nemesis, however, provokes some primal fear in me that I have never been able to overcome, and to this day I haven't ever finished RE3.

He's not so scary! Easy mode gives you more than enough ammunition to take him on.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Full Battle Rattle posted:

He's not so scary! Easy mode gives you more than enough ammunition to take him on.

It's not the lack of ability to fight him or anything, just the character himself terrifies me, even though he's far from the most monstrous thing in the series. And only in RE3, too. I can handle him in Umbrella Chronicles and sit through the second movie without batting an eye, but something about the monster in RE3 just causes me to flip my poo poo whenever he appears. There's probably some psychological reason for that relating to the fact that I first saw RE3 when I was pretty young, but this isn't the thread for me to be psychoanalyzed in.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

DanielCross posted:

It's not the lack of ability to fight him or anything, just the character himself terrifies me, even though he's far from the most monstrous thing in the series. And only in RE3, too. I can handle him in Umbrella Chronicles and sit through the second movie without batting an eye, but something about the monster in RE3 just causes me to flip my poo poo whenever he appears. There's probably some psychological reason for that relating to the fact that I first saw RE3 when I was pretty young, but this isn't the thread for me to be psychoanalyzed in.

No, I get you. I think the original PS1 RE is the scariest bar none, and I am 100% sure that it has everything to do with playing it when I was 12.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Full Battle Rattle posted:

No, I get you. I think the original PS1 RE is the scariest bar none, and I am 100% sure that it has everything to do with playing it when I was 12.

That dog scare at the beginning was really effective, but Alone In The Dark was considered rather scary back then as well. Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSwYY2eoKhQ

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 29, 2015

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
So I bought Revelations 2 having not played a RE game since 5 and I still can't tell if I made a mistake or not. I bought it mainly to play online. Is there online matchmaking for Raid Mode? I haven't run into anyone else yet.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

It doesn't go online until next week.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sir Tonk posted:

That dog scare at the beginning was really effective, but Alone In The Dark was considered rather scary back then as well. Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSwYY2eoKhQ

The combat from 10:30 to 14:30 is amazing. Capcom's lucky that this game isn't coming out any time soon.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Tomahawk posted:

So I bought Revelations 2 having not played a RE game since 5 and I still can't tell if I made a mistake or not. I bought it mainly to play online. Is there online matchmaking for Raid Mode? I haven't run into anyone else yet.

Online Raid Mode is coming in, like, two days. It probably won't work immediately though because people are still getting the infinite upload bug and Capcom has asked people to stop reporting it (after saying they fixed it).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Tomahawk posted:

You should play the campaign though - it's pretty good! If you have the means you should try local campaign coop too. Made the game even better for me.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

DanielCross posted:

I've played through REmake twice, I've finished 4, 5, 6, and Revelations at least a dozen times each, I even have both Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles. I don't find anything in these games scary anymore.

S.T.A.R.S......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I still think this post from Crowetron neatly summarizes why Nemesis and RE3 are the best.