Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The best way to get any prepaid discount these days seems to be finding a grocery store that doesn't collect sales tax on gift cards then paying with a credit card that gives rewards on grocery purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Cawd Rud posted:

I'm on the $30 nerd plan and used up my 5GB of data while traveling in the past week so now I'm getting throttled to 64kbps - how do I go about starting a new month to get my fast data back? I have more than enough money in my account but it looks like my only options are to switch to another plan completely. Is this even possible?

Pretty sure :10bux: will get you another gig of high speed. I vaguely recall seeing that somewhere in the account portal when I used to be on the nerd plan.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
In my time with the nerd plan (since upgraded to the 2lines unlimited everything plan) there was no way to add more high speed data or start your new month early. But that could just mean I never found it.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

nerve posted:

In my time with the nerd plan (since upgraded to the 2lines unlimited everything plan) there was no way to add more high speed data or start your new month early. But that could just mean I never found it.

The same does apply with the $100 family unlimited plan.

There's no way to "reset your month", but on a postpaid plan you can change your billing cycle once per lifetime of account, per policy. Depending on how the calendar works out, you'll either get one tiny bill in a short amount of time, then a regular bill at the new date. Or your next bill will be for a month+however many days would have been left in the new bill cycle. Probably be best to set it to 20 days ago then it would switch to the new month at midnight Thursday. (cycle date+21 days=due date)

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

repeating posted:

There's no way to "reset your month", but on a postpaid plan you can change your billing cycle once per lifetime of account, per policy. Depending on how the calendar works out, you'll either get one tiny bill in a short amount of time, then a regular bill at the new date. Or your next bill will be for a month+however many days would have been left in the new bill cycle. Probably be best to set it to 20 days ago then it would switch to the new month at midnight Thursday. (cycle date+21 days=due date)

On any post paid plan you can just add more data for $10 and then remove it whenever you need to. Why would you go through the hassle of changing your bill cycle for data when you don't need too?

As for the nerd plan, I don't think you can add more data or data passes to it, and you can't do the change your plan and then change it back trick either unfortunately.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Burden posted:

On any post paid plan you can just add more data for $10 and then remove it whenever you need to. Why would you go through the hassle of changing your bill cycle for data when you don't need too?

As for the nerd plan, I don't think you can add more data or data passes to it, and you can't do the change your plan and then change it back trick either unfortunately.

Because you can't do that on the nerd plan, from what I gathered.

I also used to work in billing at T-Mobile.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

repeating posted:

All 2g towers are expected to be done upgrading to LTE by the end of June. If you look at the full coverage map right now, that's all gonna be LTE in a few months. The brighter color is T-Mobile coverage, the darker is where you can roam.

That sounds really ambitious, but I hope it's true. The current coverage map on the T-Mobile website doesn't seem to reflect it. I was planning a cross country trip later this year and was considering getting an AT&T sim just for the trip, but I hope I won't have to.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

repeating posted:

You'd never need to do it with that plan because there are no limits on anything though?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

nerve posted:

You'd never need to do it with that plan because there are no limits on anything though?

Might be referring to the 4-ine unlimited call/text but only 2.5G/line plan

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anyone ever had trouble returning a test-drive iPhone early? I only needed two days on mine to figure out that yes, T-Mobile kicks the poo poo out of Sprint everywhere I go (including in my house with an Airvana) and I'd rather the iPhone not be my liability sooner than later. Tried to return it last night but they couldn't seem to get it to come up in their system.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Anyone ever had trouble returning a test-drive iPhone early? I only needed two days on mine to figure out that yes, T-Mobile kicks the poo poo out of Sprint everywhere I go (including in my house with an Airvana) and I'd rather the iPhone not be my liability sooner than later. Tried to return it last night but they couldn't seem to get it to come up in their system.

You should be able too. We had some system issues yesterday. Call a store before you go and see if they can do it to save you a trip. They just need the IMEI # which you can get by dialing *#06#.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Still waiting on 5.1 for my N6

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Does anyone know how in the hell I check my usage with data stash? On the main "My T-Mobile" page it's shown very low (like a couple MB/mo) usage for months and I see this month I'm showing ~3.5GB of usage. A couple months ago I figured it may take them some time to get that all worked out, but it's been months now and I'm still confused.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

bryn987 posted:

It's been out for awhile. If you don't want to wait for it to come to you, you can always manually update it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

bryn987 posted:

I just got it, it'll come.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

nerve posted:

You can't get more than 5GB of hotspot.

As far as the 2G/LTE conversions, I can tell you they seem to be pushing the pace more and more every day.

repeating fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 27, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What should I do to when I sell my old Galaxy on Craigslist to ensure that the IMEI won't get flagged? Phone is fully paid off.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

What should I do to when I sell my old Galaxy on Craigslist to ensure that the IMEI won't get flagged? Phone is fully paid off.

If you paid it off just sell it. It won't suddenly become blacklisted for some random reason.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
If I port my prepaid number to google voice, and I travel abroad with my phone off, will I still receive texts to my email? I guess this is more of a google voice question, but do you still receive texts when the phone isnt turned on?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hotsauce posted:

If you paid it off just sell it. It won't suddenly become blacklisted for some random reason.

hmm

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I'm going through a bit of a swappa nightmare right now do to an issue with T-Mobile's IMEI checker. I paid off a phone last year, sold it on Sunday, and sent it out on Monday with a clean IMEI. Two days later, swappa staff and the buyer check the IMEI on http://www.t-mobile.com/verifyimei.aspx and it now shows up as being financed. Funny thing is, all the phones I've paid off on my account show up as under finance.

Anyone had to deal with this before? T-Mobile tech support hasn't been able to do much for me besides say "weird, our systems say your phone's paid off. good luck convincing the buyer tho lol"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
And that's why I'm asking.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CatchrNdRy posted:

If I port my prepaid number to google voice, and I travel abroad with my phone off, will I still receive texts to my email? I guess this is more of a google voice question, but do you still receive texts when the phone isnt turned on?

yes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

And that's why I'm asking.

It's craigslist so that's kind of a different story. If it shows up clean when the buyer checks it before the meet then no problem. My issue was that T-Mobile hosed up something on their side when the phone was in transit to the buyer, and Swappa alerted him to the change. If the phone is actually paid off on your end then T-Mobile isn't actually going to block if for any reason.

also you have to wait for the next billing cycle for the IMEI to show up as clear after you pay the phone off.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 28, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Phone's been paid off since September 2014. I was just going to ask that I meet the seller at a T-Mobile anyway.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

thank you

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
Can anyone speak to whether iTunes Match audio streams count the same as iTunes Radio streams with respect to Music Freedom? I'm debating signing up for iTunes Match, but I probably won't bother if it would affect my LTE use on tmo.

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003
Since T-Mobile got rid of the $3 pay by the day 3G/talk/text plan, it looks like I now want to switch my paygo account (with a $65 balance) to the $30/month nerd plan.

T-Mobile Complete Sim Kit w/SIM adapter and $30 airtime <--Going to buy this for $29.82.

Is the Unlocked Moto E 2nd Gen 4G LTE for $150 pretty much the best phone I can get in that price range?
Is it going to be as compatible with the T-Mobile network as a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Avant Prepaid Smartphone, which actually says "T-Mobile" in the title?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

The Mango posted:

Since T-Mobile got rid of the $3 pay by the day 3G/talk/text plan, it looks like I now want to switch my paygo account (with a $65 balance) to the $30/month nerd plan.

T-Mobile Complete Sim Kit w/SIM adapter and $30 airtime <--Going to buy this for $29.82.

Is the Unlocked Moto E 2nd Gen 4G LTE for $150 pretty much the best phone I can get in that price range?
Is it going to be as compatible with the T-Mobile network as a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Avant Prepaid Smartphone, which actually says "T-Mobile" in the title?

Get a 2013 Moto X instead. It's ~$50 more but so much better.

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443371754"]
Get a 2013 Moto X instead. It's ~$50 more but so much better.

Could you give me a link to where you found a 2013 Moto X for $200 please? Update: Do you mean this Groupon listing, the XT1058? Will that XT1058 (which is labeled as being for AT&T) fully work with T-Mobile LTE?

And also, a brief explanation as to why the Moto X 2013 is so much better than the latest Moto E (because I sincerely know only a tiny bit about smartphones)?

Update 2: And I've read that if you use a non T-Mobile phone on T-Mobile, that you don't get some features, such as wifi calling. Is this still the case, and should that make me buy a smartphone that specifically says "T-Mobile" in the title?

The Mango fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 30, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Mango posted:

Could you give me a link to where you found a 2013 Moto X for $200 please? Update: Do you mean this Groupon listing, the XT1058? Will that XT1058 (which is labeled as being for AT&T) fully work with T-Mobile LTE?

And also, a brief explanation as to why the Moto X 2013 is so much better than the latest Moto E (because I sincerely know only a tiny bit about smartphones)?

Update 2: And I've read that if you use a non T-Mobile phone on T-Mobile, that you don't get some features, such as wifi calling. Is this still the case, and should that make me buy a smartphone that specifically says "T-Mobile" in the title?

No, eBay. Get the "developer edition" (XT1053), iirc. It has a massively better display, massively faster internals (so it will last longer), massively better camera, etc. You would be really silly to get an E for $150 rather than an X for $200. Once the E goes on sale for like $50, that will start to make it more of a choice.

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

No, eBay. Get the "developer edition" (XT1053), iirc. It has a massively better display, massively faster internals (so it will last longer), massively better camera, etc. You would be really silly to get an E for $150 rather than an X for $200. Once the E goes on sale for like $50, that will start to make it more of a choice.

I can't find any Moto X Developer Editions on eBay for $200. Do you have a link?

I see lots of Moto X Developer Editions that are labeled as XT1060 for $250.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I'm pretty sure that plan is for new customers so you may need to port out first.

The Mango posted:

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003

savesthedayrocks posted:

I'm pretty sure that plan is for new customers so you may need to port out first.

I talked to a T-Mobile CSR today and they said I can switch to the nerd plan and use my existing $65 balance.

quote:

You: so will it be possible for me to switch my current phone number and $65 account balance over to the $30/month Wal-Mart plan with the 5GB data?
T-Mobile CSR: I'm checking it now.
You: ok
T-Mobile CSR: Thanks.
T-Mobile CSR: Thanks for bearing with me, The Mango.
You: no problem
T-Mobile CSR: You may switch to the $30 Walmart Plan by purchasing a kit from Walmart.
You: http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Complete-SIM-Kit/39081494
You: like this one
T-Mobile CSR: Once a new kit is purchased you must call Customer Care by dialing 1-877-778-2107 with the new SIM & Activation code.
T-Mobile CSR: Your current available balance can be used on the new plan.
You: excellent! that's great!
T-Mobile CSR: Would that be all for now?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Mango posted:

I talked to a T-Mobile CSR today and they said I can switch to the nerd plan and use my existing $65 balance.

As much as I love T-Mo I'd be wary of anything an internet CSR says. I remember trying to figure out things for some changes to my account, and at least TWO CSRs said they could and did make the changes I requested. But when nothing happened I called Customer Service on the phone and that rep said that the internet CSR didn't have the authority to do what I asked. :psyduck: This was about a year ago, so YMMV.

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

As much as I love T-Mo I'd be wary of anything an internet CSR says. I remember trying to figure out things for some changes to my account, and at least TWO CSRs said they could and did make the changes I requested. But when nothing happened I called Customer Service on the phone and that rep said that the internet CSR didn't have the authority to do what I asked. :psyduck: This was about a year ago, so YMMV.

Okay. I'll call up a phone CSR tomorrow and ask to confirm what the chat CSR said.

Any other ideas on how to get a new Moto X that works with T-Mobile for $200? Or should I be looking for a different phone?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Burden posted:

You should be able too. We had some system issues yesterday. Call a store before you go and see if they can do it to save you a trip. They just need the IMEI # which you can get by dialing *#06#.

They had that (pulled from the phone, back of the phone, and the box, which all matched) and still couldn't do it normally either then or on a second trip yesterday. At least that time they just took the phone off my hands and gave me a manual receipt.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

The Mango posted:

Okay. I'll call up a phone CSR tomorrow and ask to confirm what the chat CSR said.

Any other ideas on how to get a new Moto X that works with T-Mobile for $200? Or should I be looking for a different phone?

If you're set on spending $200 the lg g2 is pretty much the best bang for your buck at that price. you can get a mint one on ebay/swappa for 200 if you look.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The days of the $200 Moto X are pretty much gone. They're running around $300 new now. You can probably get a used one for $200, though.

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003

Long Francesco posted:

If you're set on spending $200 the lg g2 is pretty much the best bang for your buck at that price. you can get a mint one on ebay/swappa for 200 if you look.

The prices that I'm seeing range from $220 to $250, with the lower ones being small-time Chinese sellers and the higher ones being small-time US sellers. In both cases the warranty or return policy may be questionable or non-existent.

Should I just say to hell with it and get the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Avant for $150? Or the Moto E 2nd Gen LTE for the same price? At least then I won't have to worry about T-Mobile compatibility issues or warranty issues or whether it's been mislabeled as new.

The Mango fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

The Mango posted:

The prices that I'm seeing range from $220 to $250, with the lower ones being small-time Chinese sellers and the higher ones being small-time US sellers. In both cases the warranty or return policy may be questionable or non-existent.

Should I just say to hell with it and get the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Avant for $150? Or the Moto E 2nd Gen LTE for the same price? At least then I won't have to worry about T-Mobile compatibility issues or warranty issues or whether it's been mislabeled as new.

Depending on how much of a hurry you're in you can just watch Slickdeals. last years flagships have been showing up for around $200. LG G2, Moto X 2013, HTC One M7. All much better than a the Avant. Avant has gone for under $100 many times and I wouldn't pay under than. Moto G LTE's has a worse processor than the Moto E 2015, but a HD screen. You also have interesting options like the Zenfone 2 coming out in a month or so.