Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Tulip posted:

I think i'm giving up on trying to get the Jake secret, having to reclear two floors for each attempt is getting way too frustrating.

On the ground floor, run around outside breaking windows to lure guys outside for easy murdering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Playing thru again on normal and I can't see why everyone hates Dead Ahead so much.

1. Bring a silenced pistol into the storage room, toss it for the pipe on the table.
2. Smack the guy in the closest booth, bait+smack the guy in the left one (the door he kicks open shields you from aggroing the bottom left guys)
3. Use the silenced pistol to pick off the central patrols from behind the shelves (they super dumb, just scoot and shoot)
4. Use pipe and guns to wipe up as needed

To be fair I made it to the pigman police station level on hard and saw a fat guy and just bailed bc it felt like a chore so take that as you will

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

So this may have been covered but when biker said he went to the desert and met someone there and lost the will to fight who was he talking about?

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

awesomebrah posted:

So this may have been covered but when biker said he went to the desert and met someone there and lost the will to fight who was he talking about?

presumably Richard to warn him about the same thing that he warns the hlm2 protagonists about.

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)
Finally found the time to finish and made it through with C's, don't really think I care about playing through for better scores. Overall I'd agree it suffered from some clumsy level design that made it the awful kind of frustrating rather than the fun, satisfying kind where you feel like you can master each level. The bank heist level was really bad for this, you start out in a gigantic room and the enemy locations are slightly randomized with each play so it's impossible to predict where to aim and it's too big to shift-look. I wound up backing into the right corner and just letting the guards run into my line of sight like a bunch of ducklings. Mark's/ The Son's dual machineguns thing would have been especially cool and flashy to use if there had been well designed rows of enemies to mow down and you didn't have to watch your ammo so closely. Of course that never happened so it was useless.

Things I liked: The music was real good again. I liked The Fans. I thought the twins were cool. I guess I liked the more involved story about how society, like, makes us love killing, man.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ETCh0tFRc

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm so glad that futuredouche got what was coming to him.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Vic Boss posted:

Non-lethally?

Yeah, I didn't even know he could do it lethally. I get killed on every level (except Jake's third level to unlock this, which I one shot and was just lucky enough to fall into the Abyss unlock), but the Abyss is not a level that sticks out in my mind as a "hard" level. I got killed way more on Casualties or the night club level than I did on Abyss. Less than 5, I think.
I'm not some HLM superstar or anything, but my approach is usually just methodical and slow. I don't go for big combos. Not particularly flashy, but twitchy and melee focused.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Skunkrocker posted:

The Colonel, talking about becoming a general.

Guy at the end of Stronghold.

50 Blessings Duke Nukem looking Dude

Now the theory is that the reason why Duke's face looks different at the bottom is not because it's supposed to be stubble, but that it's an appliance, along with a wig, to prevent him from being recognized as the now Lieutenant General.

Really don't get why this stuff is still coming up when the game does stuff like this

Ash

Henchman's Wife Mary

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Alex is the sister, Ash is the brother
:eng101:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Of course! After careful application of makeup, Alex moonlights as a Russian's girlfriend in order to bankroll the rest of the gang with his illicit earnings. That's why she knows where he is after his last job!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Man, that just reminded me how sad the Henchman's whole plot is. Especially the connection between his perfect dream and Mary's note. As Richard points out, Mary isn't in the dream. She's right: He would have done the same thing. :smith:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Okay, what the hell I'm stuck again. Level 20, Release. The game introduced melee-only grapplers, which I figured out. But now they expect me to do a floor (kinda cafeteria-ish) that ALSO has big fat guys.

I gave up after about thirty minutes and looked at youtube - but all the playthroughs seem to give the enemies on this floor shotguns. But for some reason, all I loving have are enemies with magnums. The magnums fire slowly and don't kill the fat guys in one hit, making this WAY tougher.

Any tips?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Okay, what the hell I'm stuck again. Level 20, Release. The game introduced melee-only grapplers, which I figured out. But now they expect me to do a floor (kinda cafeteria-ish) that ALSO has big fat guys.

I gave up after about thirty minutes and looked at youtube - but all the playthroughs seem to give the enemies on this floor shotguns. But for some reason, all I loving have are enemies with magnums. The magnums fire slowly and don't kill the fat guys in one hit, making this WAY tougher.

Any tips?

If you shoot a fat guy they'll bleed out. You just have to avoid them long enough. If you shoot a fat guy from far enough away with a magnum as opposed to a shotgun they won't even realize they've been shot and just drop dead after a while. It's a risky gambit but sometimes the best option is to shoot them and backpedal until they die.

And then of course when you do this, you also have to avoid everyone else.

Good luck, it took me forever to figure out Release. Oh, and those melee only guys will come back... just fyi. On hard you can even find them on the second level of the game. gently caress those guys.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jehde posted:

A nice way to cheese this is to take the nailgun but save it for the third floor. Just throw it in the stairwell and pick it back up when you move up a floor. There's more nails in the magazine then there are dudes on the third floor so it makes it trivial.

This is how i eventually did it. Twice, because i forgot to grab the floppy the first time :negative:

In the course of trying i managed to A+ it as dallas though, which brings my A+s up to i think 2.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Is there a spoiler-free list of secrets somewhere? So far I got:

- Jake's secret tape secret
- Abyss

Kind of annoying that there's no hints like the Scrabble pieces or anything, I'm just trying to experience the full story.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

StickFigs posted:

Is there a spoiler-free list of secrets somewhere? So far I got:

- Jake's secret tape secret
- Abyss

Kind of annoying that there's no hints like the Scrabble pieces or anything, I'm just trying to experience the full story.

That's it, aside from something triggered in the intro to Subway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's only really one other secret in the game in general so you've basically got everything already. v:v:v

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Discendo Vox posted:

That's it, aside from something triggered in the intro to Subway.

Oops, duhr I meant to list this one instead of the same thing twice basically.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CJacobs posted:

There's only really one other secret in the game in general so you've basically got everything already. v:v:v

You can punch the punching bag and later the colombian prisoner, as the Son. :aaaaa:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
You can do that first one as the Henchman, too! :eng101:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Was this trailer posted yet? It's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTKoUSHVUiI

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Skunkrocker posted:

I think Jake himself is a little more on the ball than Dermott is, with Dermott being a compulsive liar and all. Notice in the same video you linked that Dermott can't even hold a butterfly knife. Meanwhile, Jake is a master of the nunchaku.

Besides, I like to think of Jake being "Bobby Hill on crank." I mean who else would have ninja skills and access to the parts and tools to create a portable nailgun? The Son of a Propane Salesman. Yeah. :v:

I guess there is a point there. Neither of them would go down like a punk anyway. To be fair, in the Jacket music video Dermott can handle those nunchuck-mics. I just love the idea of goofy Dermott growing up and channeling his dear old dad in the weirdest way possible and eventually getting a bullet to the kneecap. "I slipped! the floor was greasy. No fair!"

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 31, 2015

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Pingiivi posted:

Not empty quoting

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Pingiivi posted:

Hotline Miami 2: Press R to Restart

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Did anyone else have "Sounds of Animals Fighting Each Other" pop up when they unlocked "Box full of sharp objects?"

I finally found out what I was missing. The taser is glitched in Scene 23 - Caught. You can only get the taser progress by doing Scene 4 - Final Cut on hard mode.

Also a weird thing I discovered. In The Abyss if you go lethal and return to the start after finishing the level the normal background music is overriden by LiPi Sound's "The Abyss" which is the level theme. It didn't seem to do that for non-lethal. Weird bug. :iiam:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 1, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Well I got Genocide, and then Achievement Whore. Along with having some top 10 scores and times I guess I'm done until the level editor is out.

Funny thing about getting "Genocide", though...

Unrelated: A short comic featuring Carl, which Dennis Wedin liked a lot and declared canon.

http://www.hopkinsletters.com/post/115054139229/here-it-is-our-hotline-miami-fan-comic-hotline

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 1, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
A great comic about my favorite mask. :swoon:

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7363O9uHhKc

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

incredible

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Why does "The rumble" play when you start chapter 15 with the intro but Quixotic when you skip it / reload the chapter? Weird bug.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I had the opposite problem, went through the intro and it played Quixotic but I restarted and it played The Rumble, guess it's just a weird music bug?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Abyss was pretty easy, did it nonlethal and A+ on my first try. Thank you goons for giving me the encouragement to see HLM2 through to the end (not including hardmode)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Why does "The rumble" play when you start chapter 15 with the intro but Quixotic when you skip it / reload the chapter? Weird bug.

obviously because when you play it without the intro that means you already know what happens at the end so the tone is completely different.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
gently caress, Dead Ahead and Death Wish on hard mode were... something.

On the bright side, Ash and Alex really help with the S ranks, as does the flamethrower. I wish those options were available on all of the levels.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tulip posted:

Abyss was pretty easy, did it nonlethal and A+ on my first try. Thank you goons for giving me the encouragement to see HLM2 through to the end (not including hardmode)
After playing on hard mode for a while, I went back to HM1 and got A+ on every level easily, then I came back to HM2 and started getting S ranks. Give Hard a chance, it's fun and forces you to git gud.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm playing through Hard Mode, and my god is Dead Ahead obnoxious. I eventually went for the strategy of just repeatedly trying to rambo a bunch of guys at the entrance so the rest of the level would be easier.

On the plus side unlocking and completing The Abyss felt really easy afterwards :v:. The opening part where it doesn't give you a useable weapon for a while was sortof tough but it felt like quite a straightforward melee-only level otherwise.

Anatharon posted:

You can punch the punching bag and later the colombian prisoner, as the Son. :aaaaa:
You can also make Manny break his own TV by using his punching bag :v:

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 3, 2015

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You can also make Manny break his own TV by using his punching bag :v:

Really glad I'm not the only one who tried to do this many times until it worked. I tried to break every electronic I possibly could, including that TV.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Welp, just finished this up. Pretty disappointing tbh. I was really loving everything at first, but like half way through it just kinda starts going to poo poo. The levels are all really hard and retardedly long. I loved the increased use of windows at first, but then every level had a million window hallways separated by huge open spaces, with fat dudes, gun dudes, and dogs everywhere. Coupled with the big difficulty increase the levels are all stupid long. Every chapter is like 5 loving floors, and each floor is huge as gently caress. I feel like i did nothing but kite gun dudes around corners and duck under windows for the last like, 5 chapters.

There are also too many loving characters. I feel like the devs came up with a bunch of ideas for characters for the sequel, and then just threw them all in instead of focusing on the few best ones, ie just let me be the fans all the time. The fans were the most fun to play and also had a more interesting story than anyone else, even if that story is ultimately meaningless.

The story overall is confusing, meaningless, and retroactively cheapens Hotline Miami 1. Having all those characters sure doesn't help, since the game haphazardly jumps between all 12 of them constantly. And the ending was weak as gently caress too. The whole game, I just wanted to know what was up with jacket and well, I never really found out.

Sucks, since I really really liked the first half or so. They just couldn't stick the landing, both story and gameplay wise.

P.S. Soundtrack loving kills it, obviously

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Of all the complaints about HLM2 I don't think not explaining what was up with Jacket is an accurate one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014
Yeah, they pretty much outright explain a decent chunk of his storyline.
I mean, hell, if you mean that you just wanted more Jacket-murder-antics then just say that, duder.

SomeIdiot fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 3, 2015

• Locked thread