Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

FoxTerrier posted:

God dammit, I really liked this show, but if this is going to be another episode of Phil being creepy about Melissa... :argh:

edit: Phil, why do you look like you're going to kill the other dude. :catstare:

Perfect crime, just say he left and bury his body in the middle of the desert.

Edit: Not that I want him to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

A nice, leisurely swim in the feces pool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh, that is super gross.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Holy poo poo, he is totally gonna try and kill Todd!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Wow, harsh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, good to know he isn't totally evil.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Any bets on what the 'game changer' is?

Also, sleep with one eye open, Tod. Sleep with one eye open.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Todd had a vasectomy?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Holy poo poo a cow!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Man, I'll still keep watching in the hopes things improve, but they are really, really, really doing their best to make Phil totally unlikeable. Man.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

FoxTerrier posted:

Man, I'll still keep watching in the hopes things improve, but they are really, really, really doing their best to make Phil totally unlikeable. Man.

Yeah, it would've been one thing if he'd cooled off when Todd showed up, but he's just absurdly assholish now.

Captain Turner
Oct 2, 2014

by Ralp
This is the quickest I've gone from "must watch" to "why am I watching this?". And it's not even about Phil being a douchebag. Always Sunny has some of the most horrible characters in TV history, and it's absolutely hilarious...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I think I can deal with Phil's dark shenanigans for one reason: they are not paying off for him in the least, and it seems the harder he tries, the worse off he is. Nobody is falling for it. Well, maybe Todd, but Todd is also the kind of person who would never let on that he knows what Phil is up to because doing so would be rude. And that's dishonest of Todd. Phil's comments about not being able to trust the fats is making more sense now. It is starting to wear a little thin, though.

I do like that Carol is just as manipulative. Whether he likes it or not, Phil's soulmate is Carol.

How are they going to get that cow downstairs? They'll have to at some point. And I guess we have our answer about why there are no animals anywhere: someone said "I thought I'd never see an animal again," so apparently, animals didn't fare so well during the virus.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I'm still enjoying the show but I don't like the turn it's taken the last couple of episodes. I really thought after Phil and Melissa had that chat where he was honest with her things would change a bit this week, but it didn't. I love the Todd/Melissa relationship and it's 100 times more interesting than Phil and Carol right now. They need to mix things up somehow next week.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

ChesterJT posted:

I'm still enjoying the show but I don't like the turn it's taken the last couple of episodes. I really thought after Phil and Melissa had that chat where he was honest with her things would change a bit this week, but it didn't. I love the Todd/Melissa relationship and it's 100 times more interesting than Phil and Carol right now. They need to mix things up somehow next week.

Something about these last two episodes that weren't as insufferable and deplorable as "SLEAZY MANIPULATIVE PHIL WANTS TO BONE MELISSA BADLY," because it's not about who gets to have sex with who anymore, but there is still a lot of that want for Phil to move the gently caress on, already with his "If I can't have Melissa, neither can Todd!" goony-goon attitude and start treating Carol just a little bit better (who I feel has been underused as of late).

At least he cleaned up his poop pool.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 30, 2015

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

You Are A Elf posted:

At least he cleaned up his poop pool.

About that.

How, exactly, did he clean the poop pool? It's not like skimming the leaves would do it, and it would take a massive amount of chlorine to both shock the water enough to kill the microbes contributing to the stench and counteract the ammonia buildup. Of course, chloramine would be produced, and that is a good disinfectant. It kills bacteria, fungus, and humans fairly well. If he's been using that toilet pool a lot, and he has, then he'd have a cloud of deadly gas to contend with.

And even if the wind was blowing and it dissipated the gas before it did anyone any harm, doing all of that wouldn't get rid of the turds. Assuming they were being broken down by the microbes in the open pit sewer, now he's stopped that action temporarily. I'm not sure that's going to be a stink-free situation, and the turds wouldn't still be solid enough to grab with the skimmers.

At least, that's what I would post here if I were prone to such bouts of arbitrary skepticism.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not sure if I agree with those thinking it's a good thing Phil 'decided' to not leave Todd out in the desert.

He didn't do it because he had a sudden crisis of conscience, he did it because he knew he realized he couldn't explain it away. Melissa isn't buying his bullshit anymore, and the way I read Todd offering to let Phil take credit for finding the cow is because he's starting to realize Phil's a sociopath, and maybe hopes if he's *nicer* to him, that maybe he won't murder him in his sleep once he gets the balls for it.

Again, this is like watching a televised sitcom of Chris-Chan post-apocalypse. The only difference is the "Voting Board" would have pictures of Sonichu all over it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 30, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This season can only end with Phil waking up and Carol, Melissa, and Todd have left because they're sick of his poo poo, so it goes back to him being the "last" man on earth for season 2.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pentyne posted:

This season can only end with Phil waking up and Carol, Melissa, and Todd have left because they're sick of his poo poo, so it goes back to him being the "last" man on earth for season 2.

That, or they kill/exile Phil.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That, or they kill/exile Phil.

That would make for a fantastic season 2 finale, where after exile and travel he decides to head back to Tuscon and there are like 30-40 people happily living and getting along and when they spot him and just go dead silent.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The weird focus on sex put me off in the first few episodes of this show that I watched. It feels like a super lazy thing to go, "well, obviously, your main emotion after years of despair and isolation would be a pinpoint-focused lust for boning". That's not all there is to Phil's character but it feels like a lazy caricature that it's such a primary motivation for him. A desire for romance and companionship, even, would be more relateable than just "gotta get my bone on!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pentyne posted:

That would make for a fantastic season 2 finale, where after exile and travel he decides to head back to Tuscon and there are like 30-40 people happily living and getting along and when they spot him and just go dead silent.

When you think about it, he's done a terrible loving thing by encouraging people to go somewhere where arable land and water is scarce and completely non-viable most of the year, all because he's a lazy manchild who couldn't be bothered to move somewhere more suitable with near-infinite resources available to him. For instance, if you think you're the last person on earth, why *wouldn't* you go to Washington DC and live in the White House? That sounds like a pretty god damned decent place you might expect any *living* Americans to head for.

I know if *I* were in this situation I'd get the gently caress over to Potomac, MD. Plenty of gigantic mansions and open spaces on golf courses to dig up and start farming. Oh yeah, and a nearby *river* far enough upstream to not have to worry as much about the muck and poo poo that collects around the city.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 30, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The show would have been a lot better if it was just Carol and Phil having disagreements and funny shenanigans. I'm not gonna feel bad when this gets canceled.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

The show would have been a lot better if it was just Carol and Phil having disagreements and funny shenanigans. I'm not gonna feel bad when this gets canceled.

Yeah, I mean, if you're going to call a show "The Last Man on Earth," you don't introduce another guy so loving early in the run.

Though when you think about it, *Todd* is the last *man* on Earth, because Phil's a loving manchild.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When you think about it, he's done a terrible loving thing by encouraging people to go somewhere where arable land and water is scarce and completely non-viable most of the year, all because he's a lazy manchild who couldn't be bothered to move somewhere more suitable with near-infinite resources available to him. For instance, if you think you're the last person on earth, why *wouldn't* you go to Washington DC and live in the White House? That sounds like a pretty god damned decent place you might expect any *living* Americans to head for.

I know if *I* were in this situation I'd get the gently caress over to Potomac, MD. Plenty of gigantic mansions and open spaces on golf courses to dig up and start farming. Oh yeah, and a nearby *river* far enough upstream to not have to worry as much about the muck and poo poo that collects around the city.

I don't think food is the problem. I would live near a mega mall or walmart since it will have most of the resource for the next 10 years.

Living in a climate that's less like to catch disease is more important.

That, or keep traveling until I find other people since that's the most pressing thing for the survival of human kind.

This show is so ignorant of other post apocalyptic scenarios I feel like I am wasting my time to discuss what would real people do.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I DVR this and watch it an hour later so I can skip through Phil's temper tantrums, which take up 10 minutes of each episode.

gently caress this show, but I'll probably watch it till the end. What a wasted opportunity.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

moolchaba posted:

I DVR this show and watch it an hour later so I can skip through Phil's temper tantrums, which take up 10 minutes of each episode.

gently caress this show, but I'll watch it till the end. What a wasted opportunity.

The show is suffering from the premise, and better writers could make a spoiled, angry manchild furious that someone else is alive a better story, but this show still has potential.

The episode titles for the rest of the season say a lot about the direction of the show, and I'm hoping it picks up.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I enjoyed last night's episodes, and I'm usually not a fan of cringe humor.

There's just something really hilarious about Phil having to deal with the how Todd seems like such a swell guy.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 30, 2015

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
This is the sort of thing I read when I first heard about the show:

quote:

We've been adamant about keeping the various twists and turns a secret," Miller says, "but we can say that there's a revelation at the end of each of the 13 episodes, and that it's genuine serial storytelling, which we're excited about sharing with people." "And just because Phil has company," Lord adds, "doesn't mean that he won't continue to do dumb poo poo like throw bowling balls at fish tanks. That's always going to be a constant.

I can safely say that the twists and turns I was expecting have not appeared. Based on the genius first episode I was expecting a truly original show but it has totally devolved into bullshit relationship crap that happens to be set in a world without most people.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Wouldn't that cow have died a horrible and painful death if it hadn't been milked regularly?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Cows survived for ages without humans, it probably just be in pain from its udders swelling. Surely its body would break down the milk eventually.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

mcbexx posted:

Wouldn't that cow have died a horrible and painful death if it hadn't been milked regularly?

If I remember anything about cows correctly, then yes they can get infected etc if not milked regularly. It's also puzzling why nobody remembered powdered milk was a thing.

Which either means someone is going to come looking for their cow, or as I assumed, the writers just don't give a gently caress (fair enough).

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

therobotking posted:

This is the sort of thing I read when I first heard about the show:

I can safely say that the twists and turns I was expecting have not appeared. Based on the genius first episode I was expecting a truly original show but it has totally devolved into bullshit relationship crap that happens to be set in a world without most people.

Agreed, this show has taken a disappointing nosedive. Also it's really a stretch to call anything after the first episode a "twist", I'm not even sure what they might be referring to with that. What was the twist in the first episode last night? That he finally cleaned the toilet pool?

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

FoxTerrier posted:

If I remember anything about cows correctly, then yes they can get infected etc if not milked regularly. It's also puzzling why nobody remembered powdered milk was a thing.

Which either means someone is going to come looking for their cow, or as I assumed, the writers just don't give a gently caress (fair enough).

The cows udder will start leaking on its own when there's enough pressure. I just couldn't stop thinking about how nasty unfiltered warm milk right from the cow would taste.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So much absolutely weird poo poo has happened to Phil since the end of the first episode that I am wondering if we are seeing his future-life flashing before his eyes as he is hurtling through the windshield of his truck because he is actually still killing himself running into that rock. Even in his fantasies he is a loser who isn't getting the hot girl.

That would make him still be "the last man on earth" if this is all a pre-death fantasy.

He'll survive, and S2 will start over again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GORDON posted:

So much absolutely weird poo poo has happened to Phil since the end of the first episode that I am wondering if we are seeing his future-life flashing before his eyes as he is hurtling through the windshield of his truck because he is actually still killing himself running into that rock. Even in his fantasies he is a loser who isn't getting the hot girl.

That would make him still be "the last man on earth" if this is all a pre-death fantasy.

He'll survive, and S2 will start over again.

That would be terrible. Especially if they kept the same characters. I can't watch this awkward phase all over again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did they get a second season? Cause I may not bother.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Edly posted:

Agreed, this show has taken a disappointing nosedive. Also it's really a stretch to call anything after the first episode a "twist", I'm not even sure what they might be referring to with that. What was the twist in the first episode last night? That he finally cleaned the toilet pool?

Seems like the twist was that he was going to be a nice guy but that hardly even lasted a hot second come the following episode. I feel like they switched to the two-episodes-each-week format to burn it off, having realized there isn't much potential anymore thanks to crappy writing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did they get a second season? Cause I may not bother.

It will likely be renewed based on ratings.

I encourage everyone to look at upcoming future episode titles as some seem like they may address some of the criticisms here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
They need a big change to get back to the quality of the first few episodes. If it stays on this track I wouldn't even watch this show if it was the last show on earth.

• Locked thread