Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI

This morning we noticed that someone tapped our bumper during the hour or so the car was sitting in a mall parking lot. We literally got the drat thing on Monday! :suicide:

What would it entail to fix this? The paint is cracked and where the red rectangle is, the plastic is buckling up slightly.

My husband is in the camp of "whatever, it's just minor bumper damage, it's not like it can rust or anything so it makes no sense to pay a few hundred bucks when some rear end in a top hat is just going to tap it or scuff it again in a couple months"

Honestly, I don't really care about the dimple and the buckle. They're so minor anyway. It's just that the paint cracked and now it looks like poo poo and there's got to be a way to just make the paint not look like poo poo anymore. gently caress, just paint over it and call it a day. I don't particularly expect it to look as good as new. The dealership's like :derp:"We might have to replace the whole bumper cover!!!":derp:

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

some texas redneck posted:

Does this jerking seem to happen around 3000 RPM, and only around that RPM? Is the check engine light lit up?

Also, for future reference, your car has a 2.2L 4 cylinder, not a 4 liter (4L = 4 liter). And it has 4 spark plugs, not one. Generally when spark plugs are worn out, you get a noticeable hard start issue when it's cold, and missing while it's cold and/or idling (shaking). Usually once you get the RPMs up, the misfire goes away until the plugs are really shot. They're also dead easy to replace on your engine; :10bux: in tools and 30 minutes of work (if you stop to chug a beer between each plug) is all it takes.

The reason I ask about the RPMs and check engine light - if the computer is in what's commonly known as limp or limp home mode (meaning "running good enough to get you home"), it won't rev past a set RPM, usually around 2500 or 3000 RPM on Hondas. When it hits that mark, it starts doing what's known as fuel cut - meaning it shuts off the fuel until the RPMs drop below that set RPM, then turns the fuel back on, off, on, off, etc. It's designed to keep the engine from revving fast enough to cause any (possibly further) damage when something has caused the engine computer to have little to no idea what's going on with the engine, but will cause a violent jerking when you hit that particular RPM. The check engine light will pretty much always be lit up when the computer has gone into limp home mode, and may sometimes be flashing. If it's flashing, it means pull over right now and get it towed. It's also possible for the ECU to go into that mode without turning on the check engine light if the ECU has been damaged.

Your car is old enough that a lot of shops will have no idea how to actually diagnose anything on it (they'll just throw parts at it), but all it takes to "pull codes" (basically get the computer to tell them what it thinks is wrong) is a paperclip jammed into a plug under the dash. Beyond that, it takes a little more troubleshooting than a newer car, but they're really simple cars to work on.

Since it runs better after the coil swap, the coil probably was bad (Honda puts them inside the distributor, and they eventually crack and somewhat short out from the heat), but you have other issues going on as well.

And 190k is nothing on a 90-93 Accord; I personally think that they are the most solid generation Accord that Honda ever built. They're just the right mix of simplicity while still bringing fuel injection as standard equipment (the prior generation offered fuel injection as an option, and had enough vacuum lines to scare off even the most dedicated mechanic). Just make sure the timing belt and water pump get changed every 90k, do the most basic of maintenance on everything else, and it'll run to at least 300-500k.

If it were my car, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to maybe swap the engine computer, since you know it has water damage. You can use one from a 90 or 91 Accord, preferably automatic, and preferably from the same trim (DX/LX/EX, as each trim of that year actually had a slightly different engine), but the engine computer is smart enough to adapt to the engine if you wind up with one from a different trim. 92-93 will not work properly, even though it's the same body style (go by the model year, not the date it was built). It's very rare that an engine computer goes bad, but if it's gotten wet and not running properly afterwards, it's a pretty cheap part for your particular car (especially on ebay), and takes just a few minutes to swap. If you tried to start it while the ECU was taking a (snow)bath, there's a decent chance that the computer was damaged.

I'd also suggest looking for a shop that specializes in either Hondas, or at least Asian cars. Or tell us what part of the world/country you're in, and maybe one of us can suggest a shop/swing by and get drunk.

So I just wanted to follow up on the post I made a few weeks ago. My original problem was that water damage had hosed up my Honda a fair bit, and while it seemed mechanically fine, the check engine light was left on and it was stuck in limp mode.

STR and other posters speculated about the problem and guessed that the ECM was damaged (since it got soaked). By sheer coincidence STR suggested a mechanic that has a shop ~10 minutes from where I live, and he cheaply and quickly diagnosed it. 40 bucks for a new ECM off ebay and the car is running perfectly, and I'm pretty drat sure there's nothing else wrong with it at this point.

Thanks to all the posters who offered advice, with special props to STR for happening to know a guy in my immediate area!

Now I just need to get my money back from the idiots who replaced my windshield, since it was a leaky windshield that started all this...

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I've got a misfire code on my '04 dakota again. Last time I changed out all the spark plugs (they were pretty old) and the ignition coil for the cylinder(coil-on-plug design) and it didn't come back. Also the truck hasn't been driven in almost two months, but I don't know if that would contribute to it at all.

The check engine light came on within a minute of me starting the engine. I don't know why theres a pending temperature related code, torque was showing a normal temperature when I plugged the reader in. What should I check next for that misfire?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I've got a misfire code on my '04 dakota again. Last time I changed out all the spark plugs (they were pretty old) and the ignition coil for the cylinder(coil-on-plug design) and it didn't come back. Also the truck hasn't been driven in almost two months, but I don't know if that would contribute to it at all.

The check engine light came on within a minute of me starting the engine. I don't know why theres a pending temperature related code, torque was showing a normal temperature when I plugged the reader in. What should I check next for that misfire?

Is it the same cylinder as before? Did you replace all the coil packs, or just the one that was misfiring at the time?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Is it the same cylinder as before? Did you replace all the coil packs, or just the one that was misfiring at the time?

Same cylinder. I only replaced the one that was misfiring.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm replacing the hatch struts on my Subaru. I got them both out, but now I can't get the ball joints out. They are little tiny ball joints with a bolt coming off the ball. The how-to guide I looked at had a guy just twist them over to full rotation and pull them out with a pair of pliers. I tried that, couldn't get it to work. I put the strut in a vice, tried again, and the shaft directly below the socket twisted almost 45 degrees. I'm going to autozone to see if they have a separator for one this small. If they don't, are there any other ideas? My replacement struts from RockAuto didn't come with new balls, otherwise I would just pop those in the new struts and throw the old ones out.

Freeze55
Sep 10, 2003
poleas help me
I drive a 2003 Toyota Avalon, I need to take off the rear bumper panel, I was hoping someone had a guide that would show me exactly what the hell I am looking for. When looking around I see a lot of different Camry models around 2007, but just want to make sure before I go taking nuts and bolts out of my car.
I don't want to take it to someone to get it fixed for close to $1k when I can just heat up the dent and buff that joker out.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Couldn't find an easily accessibly FSM or pictures, but this description of the process on a 2000 (which I think uses the same rear bumper cover -- REPT760121P -- up to 2004) could be a good start:

kingoftheding posted:

rear bumpers are pretty easy to remove.
1) Remove the wheel trim (both sides) if applicable
2) remove bumper bolt (inner edge of bumper should be visible once rear wheel well liner is removed
3) remove tail lights ( usually 3 to 4 bolts behind tail lights.
4) this is the hard part - place the palm of your hand in the meatiest part on the inside of the bumper cover and push the cover away from the vehicle = repeat on both sides.
5) once you have release both sides you should be able to pull the top rear portion of the bumper for the bumper clips and remove the bumper. Hope this help

e: adding link to a parts diagram

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 29, 2015

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Pixelated Dragon posted:

2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI

This morning we noticed that someone tapped our bumper during the hour or so the car was sitting in a mall parking lot. We literally got the drat thing on Monday! :suicide:

What would it entail to fix this? The paint is cracked and where the red rectangle is, the plastic is buckling up slightly.

With damage like that, its either a respray or a new bumper. Probably the latter is easiest. If you were brave you might find a part out or junkyard a used one.

Comedy option: plastidip it.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

ssjonizuka posted:

With damage like that, its either a respray or a new bumper. Probably the latter is easiest. If you were brave you might find a part out or junkyard a used one.

Comedy option: plastidip it.

I just want to have it buffed and the paint touched up. I don't know why the paint cracked like that. The dimple is so minor and I would hardly notice it if it weren't for those crappy cracks in the paint.

I don't expect it to look as good as new afterwards, but I just want the paint cracks gone. They can leave the stupid dimple for all I care. It's really small.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I just want to have it buffed and the paint touched up. I don't know why the paint cracked like that. The dimple is so minor and I would hardly notice it if it weren't for those crappy cracks in the paint.

I don't expect it to look as good as new afterwards, but I just want the paint cracks gone. They can leave the stupid dimple for all I care. It's really small.

As far as i recall, once it cracks, youre pretty boned as a strip/respray are the only way to fix it. :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

JosefStalinator posted:

STR and other posters speculated about the problem and guessed that the ECM was damaged (since it got soaked). By sheer coincidence STR suggested a mechanic that has a shop ~10 minutes from where I live, and he cheaply and quickly diagnosed it. 40 bucks for a new ECM off ebay and the car is running perfectly, and I'm pretty drat sure there's nothing else wrong with it at this point.

Thanks to all the posters who offered advice, with special props to STR for happening to know a guy in my immediate area!

Kickass, I'm glad he was able to help you out. He's good people.

It's pretty much never the ECU/ECM - unless it's taken a bath.

Same cylinder. I only replaced the one that was misfiring.

Try swapping coils with another cylinder and see if the misfire code follows the coil.

And the pending code is because the engine isn't heating up as fast as the ECU wants it to (or it's running on the hot side - what did Torque say the coolant temp was?). You can probably plan on doing a thermostat at some point.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

ssjonizuka posted:

As far as i recall, once it cracks, youre pretty boned as a strip/respray are the only way to fix it. :(

:derp: The paint shouldn't have cracked like that from such a minor ding.

It pisses me off every time I see it because of this.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

:derp: The paint shouldn't have cracked like that from such a minor ding.

It pisses me off every time I see it because of this.

IIRC, there is some history of this century's VWs having paint issues on bumpers (due to parts rubbing together at seams?) but it makes me wonder if this bumper cover is already a repaint and the issues of paint on a somewhat flexible surface are compounded by it being dark paint -- especially if something didn't get to cure/dry properly.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Kickass, I'm glad he was able to help you out. He's good people.

It's pretty much never the ECU/ECM - unless it's taken a bath.

Try swapping coils with another cylinder and see if the misfire code follows the coil.

And the pending code is because the engine isn't heating up as fast as the ECU wants it to (or it's running on the hot side - what did Torque say the coolant temp was?). You can probably plan on doing a thermostat at some point.

I didn't have the reader on me while it was running so I had to run in and grab it. When I checked it the temp was 100C. It should be at 95C, but I've noticed that temps can rise a little right after the engine gets shut off so it was probably close.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Most OBD2 ECUs have what's called "two trip logic" - meaning it takes two trips with the same issue before the code is set.

See if it's still in a pending state next time you drive it, or if it's been set. If it's listed as a current fault, then it'll show up in red in torque (and turn on the check engine light on its own, if it wasn't already on for your misfire).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a cheap way to hot tank a plastic intake manifold at home? I need to clean oil + carbon deposits out of a 2011 BMW 335 diesel intake manifold that is far too complex to do by hand.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Slavvy posted:

It's most probably the dome light switch on the door frame, it's a little black oval thing with one bolt/screw holding it to the car, and a little accordion boot over the button that the door presses when it's shut. These gently caress out all the time so I'd find one from a wrecker or something. It could also be the door sagging on the hinges but if you can't see anything out of alignment or otherwise untoward, it's the switch.

Thanks for your help, although it turns out that I was actually wrong on both accounts. It wasn't the door light switch causing the light to flicker on, it was a few loose screws in the door that were preventing it from shutting completely. Fortunately, I found those before taking it in somewhere and looking like an idiot.

So, I get a jump from a friend and then bring it over to the auto parts store to get the battery tested. They say it's fine, has another year or two of life left in it, no problems. After heading back home and spending a few hours there, I go out to grab dinner and the car's dead again.

After asking around, the common opinion is that there's a short somewhere causing the battery drain. I got the battery tested and I don't see how it could be the starter or the alternator, so that has to be it, right? Is that a long repair, or can I bring it in tomorrow morning and only miss an hour or two of work?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you don't have a good multimeter, how about disconnecting the battery and just bringing it in to be tested as-is to see if it's a battery issue rather than just a wiring one?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Sentient Data posted:

If you don't have a good multimeter, how about disconnecting the battery and just bringing it in to be tested as-is to see if it's a battery issue rather than just a wiring one?

I got the battery tested yesterday, they didn't find anything wrong with it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I had something like that happen with my mustang. I took it in and the guy had it fixed in an afternoon.

I'd say I would plan on an alternate ride to work while it gets fixed, basically.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

surf rock posted:

Thanks for your help, although it turns out that I was actually wrong on both accounts. It wasn't the door light switch causing the light to flicker on, it was a few loose screws in the door that were preventing it from shutting completely. Fortunately, I found those before taking it in somewhere and looking like an idiot.

So, I get a jump from a friend and then bring it over to the auto parts store to get the battery tested. They say it's fine, has another year or two of life left in it, no problems. After heading back home and spending a few hours there, I go out to grab dinner and the car's dead again.

After asking around, the common opinion is that there's a short somewhere causing the battery drain. I got the battery tested and I don't see how it could be the starter or the alternator, so that has to be it, right? Is that a long repair, or can I bring it in tomorrow morning and only miss an hour or two of work?

It sounds like you were expecting the car to charge the battery up by itself just by driving to the store and back. This is not the case. You need to put it on an actual charger for a few hours/overnight.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It sounds like you were expecting the car to charge the battery up by itself just by driving to the store and back. This is not the case. You need to put it on an actual charger for a few hours/overnight.

I mean, I had it charging in the driveway for 30 minutes with my buddy's car and the cables, then I spent more than an hour driving around before going to the store, and their test indicated that the battery was about as fully-charged as a 3 year old battery was going to get. I don't know much about cars or car batteries, but was there something about the battery that they were supposed to be testing other than its charge?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I'm planning on doing an intake manifold gaskets / oil separator / full PCV system replacement on my 840 this spring, and was thinking I'd like to have my injectors checked and cleaned while I was in there. It looks like there are a number of companies offering injector services. Has anyone had this done? Who did you use? How was your experience? I've found prices so far ranging from $12 - $22 per injector, but aside from the price they seem to be offering the same services for the most part.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

surf rock posted:

I mean, I had it charging in the driveway for 30 minutes with my buddy's car and the cables, then I spent more than an hour driving around before going to the store, and their test indicated that the battery was about as fully-charged as a 3 year old battery was going to get. I don't know much about cars or car batteries, but was there something about the battery that they were supposed to be testing other than its charge?

Testing it's performance under load, basically, but the parts stores do that. If they said it's good, it's probably good.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Godholio posted:

Testing it's performance under load, basically, but the parts stores do that. If they said it's good, it's probably good.

Note that testing under load is running a small-ohm load to measure current flow. If the battery is fully charged, it absolutely will not be when they're done with the load test. If the battery were a bit dodgy, that load test can fry it.

He should still get a multimeter, because it's probably NOT the battery being crappy that's causing the car to die every night.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Godholio posted:

Unless they used one of the quick testers that often get faked out by marginal batteries with surface charges on them.

If the test didn't take at least 20 minutes it wasn't tested on the real rig (the carbon pile load tester). And if it WAS tested on that rig the end of the test is to recharge the battery.

So yeah....it doesn't sound like it was tested properly.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I've got an '01 Suburban 2500 4x4, bone stock, with push-button electronic 4 wheel drive using an AutoTrac transfer case. At no point in the owner's manual does it say that, depending on what drive mode I'm in, I'm not supposed to drive on pavement, even in 4Lo. I'm used to the older type where you have to disengage 4 wheel drive on surfaces with good traction, so since I don't know how this system works I try to go really easy on it - 2 wheel drive until I actually notice wheelspin, then I put it in automatic mode, and that works fine until I actually need low gear. I pretty much never hit the 4Hi button, figuring Auto has the advantage of putting it in 2 wheel drive when 4x4 isn't needed, and I try to keep it in 2Hi as often as possible.

I do some mild off-roading so I do need 4x4 for that, but snow isn't really a thing here so I haven't needed to deal with variable conditions on a paved road.

Is that basically how it's supposed to work, or am I just being paranoid and babying it when I could just leave it in Auto all the time? It's kind of overpowered for the tires I've got, so I guess if I left it in Auto on pavement I could get better traction pulling off from a stoplight in the rain when I'm in a rush; I just don't know if paved roads are OK in something other than 2Hi.

edit: Also I bought the car pretty recently so I don't know for sure if the transfer case is in good condition. It "works" but I don't know what maintenance is involved that hasn't been done yet at 153k miles, so sometime in the next few weeks I'll take it to a mechanic for a quick checkup.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 29, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Here's a non-automotive question, but still probably in the wheelhouse of some of the dudes here. We have a petrographic microscope that was at one of our sites that had been "broken" for quite some time, and I've taken a look at it this morning, and the top eyepiece no longer sits on the swivel mount properly, due to a screw being messed up from whichever ham-handed moron screwed it the locking pin way too hard. You can no longer back the screw out to remove the eyepiece section, but that's ok because the same idiot (probably) just lifted it off with all of his retard-strength and there's a nice chunk taken out of the locking ring of that now.

So it falls to me to fix it, because I'm the most handy person in the office and it needs to go out at the end of the week to a new site; getting it professionally fixed would be far preferable, but would take a couple of weeks or more. It doesn't seem too hard.

Click all images for enormous.

First image is where the eyepiece mounts on; the screw on the right is the stuffed one, that is normally (GENTLY) screwed in to lock the eyepiece in place.

Close up of the locking screw, where it's a combination of bent over and hosed up that means it can't be backed out to put the eyepiece back on.

2nd shot of the screw.

I figure I can just dremel the end of the screw, make sure that the tip on it is smaller in every way than the smallest dimension of the thread it needs to be backed out through, back it out, and then tap and die it to make sure they're both ok. Anyone see any major issues I'm missing that might gently caress me?

Memento fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 29, 2015

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Memento posted:

I figure I can just dremel the end of the screw, make sure that the tip on it is smaller in every way than the thread it needs to be backed out through, back it out, and then tap and die it to make sure they're both ok. Anyone see any major issues I'm missing that might gently caress me?

This was my first thought too. I'd twist it in so you have lots of clearance, then carefully cut with a cutoff disc just behind the hosed thread, then back it out and clean it up. I might try putting a pick or something in the bottom thread just behind that big chunk of metal and tapping it with a hammer first - maybe you can dislodge that chunk of mess on the end and see what the thread looks like underneath. Maybe it can be cleaned up as it sits, without shortening it.

e: I originally assumed that is metal that was ripped off of the eyepiece when they yanked it out (as opposed to the actual screw itself mangled beyond recognition) but now I'm not sure...it's kind of hard to tell. If that's all screw, ( :stonk: ) then yeah, cutting as described above is probably your only realistic option.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 29, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Friar Zucchini posted:

I've got an '01 Suburban 2500 4x4, bone stock, with push-button electronic 4 wheel drive using an AutoTrac transfer case. At no point in the owner's manual does it say that, depending on what drive mode I'm in, I'm not supposed to drive on pavement, even in 4Lo. I'm used to the older type where you have to disengage 4 wheel drive on surfaces with good traction, so since I don't know how this system works I try to go really easy on it - 2 wheel drive until I actually notice wheelspin, then I put it in automatic mode, and that works fine until I actually need low gear. I pretty much never hit the 4Hi button, figuring Auto has the advantage of putting it in 2 wheel drive when 4x4 isn't needed, and I try to keep it in 2Hi as often as possible.

I do some mild off-roading so I do need 4x4 for that, but snow isn't really a thing here so I haven't needed to deal with variable conditions on a paved road.

Is that basically how it's supposed to work, or am I just being paranoid and babying it when I could just leave it in Auto all the time? It's kind of overpowered for the tires I've got, so I guess if I left it in Auto on pavement I could get better traction pulling off from a stoplight in the rain when I'm in a rush; I just don't know if paved roads are OK in something other than 2Hi.

edit: Also I bought the car pretty recently so I don't know for sure if the transfer case is in good condition. It "works" but I don't know what maintenance is involved that hasn't been done yet at 153k miles, so sometime in the next few weeks I'll take it to a mechanic for a quick checkup.

When your in Auto mode, it engages the front axle and leaves the transfer case unlocked until slip is detected, which at that point slips it into 4HI. When your in Auto, shits always turning which will cause your fuel economy to suffer a little bit, but not much.

Auto is not a true AWD system and should be treated as such. Even GM cheaped out on the Denali's and Escalades after 03, and did away with the viscous differential, and uses the brakes to transfer power between the front and rear axles (basically acting like another axle between the front and rear - guess where the power goes when poo poo starts to slip?)

Long story short, don't leave auto on, just use 2HI until your slipping. Believe it or not, these trucks are pretty decently balanced, so you wont use the 4x4 as often as you think you would.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Memento posted:

I figure I can just dremel the end of the screw, make sure that the tip on it is smaller in every way than the smallest dimension of the thread it needs to be backed out through, back it out, and then tap and die it to make sure they're both ok. Anyone see any major issues I'm missing that might gently caress me?

That's how I'd do it. Run it in all the way, cut it off, then use a grinder bit to bevel the edges before you unscrew it. Bonus point for chasing the threads, but if you bevel and clean up before removing it shouldn't be necessary.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah, it's all screw. They stuffed it pretty good.

I've just been on the phone with a supplier and he's going to courier me a new screw, so I'm no longer concerned about that, but preserving the thread in the mounting piece is pretty important. I'm glad about that because I don't have a lot of spare thread to work with.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Long story short, don't leave auto on, just use 2HI until your slipping. Believe it or not, these trucks are pretty decently balanced, so you wont use the 4x4 as often as you think you would.
So basically what I was already doing. As far as how often I "think I should" use 4 wheel drive, I just leave it in 2wd until I actually notice slippage, or if I'm diving through mud or a creek and there's basically no traction to be had.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Friar Zucchini posted:

So basically what I was already doing. As far as how often I "think I should" use 4 wheel drive, I just leave it in 2wd until I actually notice slippage, or if I'm diving through mud or a creek and there's basically no traction to be had.

Pretty much. Unless you know its going to be slick, then pop it into 4HI before hand. Just make sure every thing is stopped before popping things in, because mashing turning poo poo into non turning poo poo isn't the best idea.

The auto system is complete garbage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Pretty much. Unless you know its going to be slick, then pop it into 4HI before hand.

To add to this - it's a lot easier to get into 4HI/4LO when you aren't already up poo poo creek and scrambling for traction. No idea how the transfercase in that Suburban works but on the NV247 in my Grand Cherokee (and I think the NV242 works the same way) you need to be rolling slowly to shift from "4 All Time" to 4LO.

Of course, because I prefer to go very slowly when dragging my WJ over rocks, I pop it into 4LO for drat near anything.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Oh right, I posted in this thread and didn't realize it was 80+ new posts since my old one. My bad!

It's a 2003 Honda CIVIC EX

I'll find an autozone/advance auto/pep boys. They'll do it for free?

The light is just on, not blinking.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

The codes were:

Electronic Load Detector Circuit High Input. - Pending.

Variable valve timing electronic control system malfunction. - Current.

Variable valve timing electronic control system malfunction. - Confirmed.

Why did the vvt show up twice? Can I delay getting this stuff fixed for a couple weeks or should I get it fixed asap?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Does fuel injector cleaner that gets mixed in the gas tank actually work?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Does fuel injector cleaner that gets mixed in the gas tank actually work?

BG44K gets some good reviews as is a lot more concentrated than the other stuff on the market.

Anecdotally, it idles smoother and improves economy slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Alright, so I called a mechanic and he came by this morning. Jumped the car, tested the battery, said the alternator was fine but battery needed replacing. He replaces the battery, car starts up fine, great. I go grab lunch a few hours later, no problems. I go to my car to get groceries about five hours later, and the car's completely loving dead again.

What in the gently caress is wrong with my goddamn car?