Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

3 point sling, gross. :vomarine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

not caring here posted:

Are commercial AR15s considerably better than your average beaten up army M4s and 16s? I'm assuming yes, because there's no way I'd pay big beans for that.
Judging by what floats around the internet (and adjusting for spergs), I'd guess the average commercial AR is probably about the same. Really depends on what you're willing to spend. There's plenty above and below in terms of quality manufacturing. Keep in mind that all those M4s have been getting used, abused, and the poo poo kicked out of them for years by numerous idiots who don't all care about keeping their rifle. I think if you bought a similar one from a reputable company and actually maintained it you'd have a relatively trouble-free experience.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
And that's the beauty of AR's if you don't like one person's set up you can always set it up differently.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
back in school

so much butt peeping

god bless butts and these united states

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
So the VA rep at my school says I have everything done, just register for classes and then with with certificate of elig.. i got in the mail my GI Bill will be good to go. My question is, how long until I get paid?

My fellow vets?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
ARs being what they are, even if you want to play doll house with your furnishings, any idiot could build one. I'm not against building one, just that if you go full nuts to the point where you're assembling poo poo that has tight tolerances in your garage to save a few pennies, more power to you if you do it correctly. Or just buy a base s&w, colt, whatever, then play dress up.

With an occasional exception, you're going to pay more building your operator clone from scratch. Then throw in wait times for deliveries oh and 'we ran out of bolts a week ago but we'll have more next month' after you've already ordered and been charged.

Just sounds easier to walk into a gun shop and shell out for a new AR from a respected brand, then play barbie with all the magpul crap sportsman's guide will sell you.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

With two grand I could buy a gently used Browning Citori O/U. I've shot trap with one, it's an absolute dream.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

all apologies posted:

So the VA rep at my school says I have everything done, just register for classes and then with with certificate of elig.. i got in the mail my GI Bill will be good to go. My question is, how long until I get paid?

My fellow vets?

Should be on time or slightly delayed to your first month of school being completed.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

ARs being what they are, even if you want to play doll house with your furnishings, any idiot could build one. I'm not against building one, just that if you go full nuts to the point where you're assembling poo poo that has tight tolerances in your garage to save a few pennies, more power to you if you do it correctly. Or just buy a base s&w, colt, whatever, then play dress up.

With an occasional exception, you're going to pay more building your operator clone from scratch. Then throw in wait times for deliveries oh and 'we ran out of bolts a week ago but we'll have more next month' after you've already ordered and been charged.

Just sounds easier to walk into a gun shop and shell out for a new AR from a respected brand, then play barbie with all the magpul crap sportsman's guide will sell you.

i built my a4 clone for around 800 bucks and about 150 of that was just on the the kac rail. the trigger is a little mushy compared to my lmt but otherwise it works flawlessly :shrug:

ps it was and probably still is pretty much impossible to buy an a4 clone off the shelf

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

holocaust bloopers posted:

Should be on time or slightly delayed to your first month of school being completed.

so does that mean ill have to out of pocket pay my class registration fees? I can make it work until the housing allowance hits..just more worried about where ill poo poo out money to cover school if its late

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

all apologies posted:

so does that mean ill have to out of pocket pay my class registration fees? I can make it work until the housing allowance hits..just more worried about where ill poo poo out money to cover school if its late

I don't believe so. My school has never once asked for money.

But yea always always always have a few months of savings just in case.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. My barbie ar playset is just gonna be an eo tech and magpul wedge grip I think, with the same $3 550-cord-and-nylon-webbing sling I used on every other ar. I'll probably worry about picking up a used rem 700 for shooting deer better first, but m&p15 it probably is, then.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

all apologies posted:

I end up getting a payment hold every year around payment time that says "WAITING FOR GI BILL", but I've never been bothered about it. I've never had to pay for anything related to tuition and fees. Hell the GI bill even covers your student health insurance, may as well jump on that on top of anything else you've got.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

Icon Of Sin posted:

I end up getting a payment hold every year around payment time that says "WAITING FOR GI BILL", but I've never been bothered about it. I've never had to pay for anything related to tuition and fees. Hell the GI bill even covers your student health insurance, may as well jump on that on top of anything else you've got.

i have tricare for life so im straight on that front

the rest is a relief, ill make sure i get it out as soon as i sign up for classes

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

all apologies posted:

my school in florida had me fill out a form every semester stating that tuition would be late and don't drop me from classes (since if you weren't paid by a certain date you would get dropped). i have never paid out of pocket for a class.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

MurderBot posted:

I don't plan to ever have kids.

My BDU'S/ACU's/Class A uniform will ultimately end up on a homeless person.

I didn't know you were foreclosing.

Cute Reservist Students are the worst. All the fun with none of the commitment.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've been officially diagnosed with adult ADD :toot:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

shyduck posted:

I've been officially diagnosed with adult ADD :toot:

Read it in Lionel Hutz's voice

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

Read it in Lionel Hutz's voice

Same.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

rip phil hartman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi0Faz0hqaQ

Fav bit, sorry about the anti-DMCA filter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZoQFVVXV2s&t=304s

EBB fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 30, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Simpsons went to poo poo after he died :rip:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i built my a4 clone for around 800 bucks and about 150 of that was just on the the kac rail. the trigger is a little mushy compared to my lmt but otherwise it works flawlessly :shrug:

ps it was and probably still is pretty much impossible to buy an a4 clone off the shelf

Gun shops here are overflowing with ARs, in all shapes, sizes, colors and calibers. Took shim to the shop I was having the .357 fixed. FALs, AK pistols, AR15s falling out of their assholes. Even a drat tactical double barrel 20 guage. And a couple keltec shotguns for good measure.

Hell, even bass pro has a full vault right now. But that's the south.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

With two grand I could buy a gently used Browning Citori O/U. I've shot trap with one, it's an absolute dream.

check out benelli shotguns. they get insanely expensive, but my god are they smooth.
i'm pretty decent with a remington 870 trap wingmaster that a retired benelli gunsmith modded out for me with adjustable cheek & buttstock.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Judging by what floats around the internet (and adjusting for spergs), I'd guess the average commercial AR is probably about the same. Really depends on what you're willing to spend. There's plenty above and below in terms of quality manufacturing. Keep in mind that all those M4s have been getting used, abused, and the poo poo kicked out of them for years by numerous idiots who don't all care about keeping their rifle. I think if you bought a similar one from a reputable company and actually maintained it you'd have a relatively trouble-free experience.

I've put at least 2000 rounds through mine and the only time it didn't function properly was a box of WWB ammo where the primers popped out of each case and wouldn't let the bolt hit home while feeding the next one. It would close on the primer, and obviously not fire until I got it out there. Beyond that, never a failure.

Edit: I'm pretty lousy at routinely cleaning it if I haven't gone shooting.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Need one of hose ar15s that shoot 22 cause I'm cheap

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Saw some s&w ones for like 350 on gun broker, I'm guessing not much more at a decent shop? :shrug:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

You can get a .22 conversion kit for cheap

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
They tend to pattern like a shotgun though, because barrels designed for 5.56 don't properly stabilize 22lr.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Doesn't 22 cost just as much these days, if you can find it? Or has that poo poo finally worked itself out?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Gun shops here are overflowing with ARs, in all shapes, sizes, colors and calibers. Took shim to the shop I was having the .357 fixed. FALs, AK pistols, AR15s falling out of their assholes. Even a drat tactical double barrel 20 guage. And a couple keltec shotguns for good measure.

Hell, even bass pro has a full vault right now. But that's the south.

Yeah they had those 7.62 handguns with Banana clips and I'm positive I saw a shotgun with a drum magazine on it.

Craziest part? This is a hole in the wall gun shop behind a strip mall that's behind a strip mall in the middle 'o nowhere, and they were doing business like black fuckin Friday ('cept for that one 'groid they clearly were waiting to decline for background check).

Oh and I'm stoned off my nut just taking it all in as the fgunsmith sperg'd about screw threading and metallurgy with Sponge Bob for his broken rear sight.

It was a truly glorious reminder of my return to the south. The real south.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Godholio posted:

Doesn't 22 cost just as much these days, if you can find it? Or has that poo poo finally worked itself out?

I thought it was the only one that didn't have crazy inflation?

Also I never knew you could buy ammo online, rules. I got 500 .40 for $108 shipped (refurbd)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I didn't pay close attention because I don't own a .22, but for a long time there were complaints that stores couldn't keep it on the shelves. I know the local walmart STILL doesn't have any kind of selection in their ammo case. I assumed scarcity=price gouging.

THANKS OBAMA Bloomberg

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I picked up a Beretta ARX160 in .22 for 350. Picked up 3 x 30 rounders for it as well and poo poo is legiiiiiiit as gently caress

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Last time I owned a .22 it was $15-20 for 350-500 rounds.

It was nice when .22 was $0.03-.05 a round. Now you're looking $0.10/round on average. 5.56 is $0.25-.35/round. 9mm here runs about the same.

I've yet to buy a box of .357 here that wasn't remanned, mostly because the reman poo poo shoots fine. Same brand 9mm has been prone to making GBS threads squibs in girlfriend's glock though.

Smith & Wesson dedicated .22 AR-style (M&P 15-22) floats around $350-400 and I can't say I've heard anything bad about them.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 31, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

.22 is near non-existent where I am. The only shop that has any isn't even in this county and they price gouge like it's going out of style. :(

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
High velocity .22 is nigh impossible to find out by me, and 9 mm is now finally starting to comedown in price.

loving pos P22 and gently caress the ammo hoarders.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
.22 Mag is a serious pain to get around here, but .22LR and 5.56 are plentiful and inexpensive

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Just a heads up, starting tomorrow the civ/vet thread will be merging with the drunk thread to become the GiP chat thread that will be rebooted monthly.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

April 2015 Consolidated Butt Chat: PYF Butt GIFs ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Just a heads up, starting tomorrow the civ/vet thread will be merging with the drunk thread to become the GiP chat thread that will be rebooted monthly.

:getin:

• Locked thread