Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

appropriatemetaphor posted:

uh because you can quickly look through this and find poo poo:

instead of scrolling through some infinite list for forever?

what is that even sorted by how do you actually find anything?

nobody navigates through the list by scrolling. i just type in what i want and it automatically goes to that part of the list and you can see everything without having to click through to a separate screen. like you type "kan" and it takes you to all the kanye west songs on the same screen

at least, that is how it worked before the most recent update. now all the hotkeys and navigational stuff is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I don't care how it's sorted or what it looks like, I just hate the 10,000 limit.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

inSTAALed posted:

what is that even sorted by how do you actually find anything?

nobody navigates through the list by scrolling. i just type in what i want and it automatically goes to that part of the list and you can see everything without having to click through to a separate screen. like you type "kan" and it takes you to all the kanye west songs on the same screen

at least, that is how it worked before the most recent update. now all the hotkeys and navigational stuff is broken.

i think that's most listens, which admittedly is super random actually, like stuff i listened to just a couple times is suddenly MOST LISTENED. but what i usually do is sort by recently added, and just like removed/readd to toss stuff to the top of the list is i've been listening to it a lot.

and yeah if i've looking for something specific i just search for it, but i guess. i'm pretty visual so i tend to recognize albums more by the art than the names, so i'll kinda scroll through and go 'oh yeah!' i remember that one

PaganGoatPants posted:

I don't care how it's sorted or what it looks like, I just hate the 10,000 limit.

is the 10k limit for uploads or is it for adding stuff to mymusic?

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

I keep getting notifications and I have no idea what they are, or how to remove them. Clicking the notification button pops up a menu which loads indefinitely, and checking the web browser app works sometimes.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

PaganGoatPants posted:

With iTunes match you can go up to 25k... And the moment you do it throws you off the service and you can't use it anymore :haw:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

tonberrytoby posted:

I am right now trying out Google Music as a Spotify alternative, and I noticed that it seems to need lots of space on my Android. Something like 3 times the space that Spotify needs for almost the same playlist.

Has anybody else noticed that? And is there any way to switch to low quality?

When you stream it caches songs you've listened to (and stuff that's coming up, and mixes I think), and that can take up a bunch of space. I don't think there's a way to limit that, but you can turn it off in the settings. If you want to specifically store music on your device, you can pin/download songs and albums and playlists, which is separate from the automatic caching. So if you disable caching and only pin the music you want downloaded, that will use the least space

If you already knew all that and it's just the actual file sizes that are too big, I don't think there's an option to lower the quality now! Unless you're streaming over mobile instead of wifi, but that would only affect caching I think

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

baka kaba posted:

When you stream it caches songs you've listened to (and stuff that's coming up, and mixes I think), and that can take up a bunch of space. I don't think there's a way to limit that, but you can turn it off in the settings. If you want to specifically store music on your device, you can pin/download songs and albums and playlists, which is separate from the automatic caching. So if you disable caching and only pin the music you want downloaded, that will use the least space

If you already knew all that and it's just the actual file sizes that are too big, I don't think there's an option to lower the quality now! Unless you're streaming over mobile instead of wifi, but that would only affect caching I think
No, I thought turning off caching would also delete my downloaded playlists. I turned it off now.

But the playlist is still very large.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
How do you look up your history, a list of the tracks you've listened to most recently, in the new layout?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

In the bottom right, left of the shuffle button, there's a play queue button, that's where the history is as well.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
How do you turn off or resize the social activity bar on the right now (OS X)?

Since they decided users don't need to be able to change the width of the various columns in the list view, I can't loving read any of the song or album title even when I have the app maximized on my 13" laptop. These assholes at spotify really had users.

edit: nvm I figured it out. You go to "View" -> "Friend Feed" (toggle)

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

cebrail posted:

In the bottom right, left of the shuffle button, there's a play queue button, that's where the history is as well.

Cheers.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My biggest complaint about the latest version(s) of Spotify is when you copy a whole bunch of albums from an existing playlist to new one it will sort them in a completely nonsensical order. It's not the order that they were in when I selected them, not alphabetical, not by album, not by length and not by date added. It would almost be random if it didn't have the habit of grouping songs of from an album together, but it never does this to entire albums. Sorting by album will also not order them by proper track numbers.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Mierenneuker posted:

My biggest complaint about the latest version(s) of Spotify is when you copy a whole bunch of albums from an existing playlist to new one it will sort them in a completely nonsensical order. It's not the order that they were in when I selected them, not alphabetical, not by album, not by length and not by date added. It would almost be random if it didn't have the habit of grouping songs of from an album together, but it never does this to entire albums. Sorting by album will also not order them by proper track numbers.

for me it sorts artists in order by album like it should...

...unless the album has features on a song, then those are sorted alphabetically separately by the name of the first featured artist.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Huh, that actually somewhat works. Thanks for the tip.

So I guess now my biggest complaint is that when selecting songs in a playlist for deletion with shift+arrow keys it doesn't actually delete all the songs unless I remove them a second time.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Going off of this thread I feel like I'm often quite kind to Spotify, but gosh does using this new version compare to the act of walking through custard sometimes. Going into my history, finding playlists, it all seems to take far too long as the thing just stutters along!

Not sure if it's as bad as removing the ability to search playlists, but still.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
it takes like two minutes to open my starred playlist after the update

it is dumb

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

inSTAALed posted:

it takes like two minutes to open my starred playlist after the update

it is dumb
same, it sucks

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
The thread title should be changed to "It sucks now, go use Google All Access".

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

The thread title should be changed to "It sucks now, go use Google All Access".

Any tips on how to migrate? I've got all the music I actually own stored on there already, but have hundreds of albums saved in Spotify from 2 years of using it and don't fancy manually adding them all to GPMAA.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Havent used it but someone posted a python script last page that sounds like it should help migrate:

cebrail posted:

I used pyportify when I tried out google play.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I think that's only for playlists.
But I don't really get "saving" things anyway.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty new to Spotify but I kind of like subscribing to the shows- Armin van Burren's State of Trance for example. Is there an equivalent offering on Google?

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a chance to try this out on PS4 yet? I'm wondering how it is. I downloaded it this morning when I saw it was available but I had to go to work so I haven't pulled it up yet.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Medium Cool posted:

Anyone have a chance to try this out on PS4 yet? I'm wondering how it is. I downloaded it this morning when I saw it was available but I had to go to work so I haven't pulled it up yet.

What? A spotify app for ps4?

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

What? A spotify app for ps4?

They replaced music unlimited with spotify. Supposedly you can listen to music while you play games. I'll get a chance to try it out when I go home for lunch, supposedly it was released with their last firmware update but I didn't see it available until today.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
the playlist shuffling on the ps4 app is abysmal. why do they have so many issues getting shuffling to actually shuffle a playlist instead of just playing the same few artists over and over

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Quite ironic that I have to post this in the Spotify thread (is there a general streaming thread?), but that Tidal livestream is just embarrassing.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Apparently along with the update Spotify has been doing a fair bit of updating their backend album info as well?

At least two bands that have been known under different names are now consolidated into one, with albums randomly given incorrect release dates/track order broken.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I gave up on Google All Access. It seems like a superior service but I have too much poo poo on Spotify. I realize they're gonna have to do something beyond just inconvience for me to prompt a switch because I'm so lazy.

Plus like someone said earlier the social aspect of Spotify is pretty cool and I don't think i've ever said that about something before. Probably because music and social kind of go hand-in-hand so they didn't have to awkwardly bolt on some unnatural social feature.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
ALL of my friends use Spotify. Literally all of them. I can send someone a link to a song on Spotify and I know that they'll be able to listen to it. That market penetration is just unbeatable for now.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

inSTAALed posted:

the playlist shuffling on the ps4 app is abysmal. why do they have so many issues getting shuffling to actually shuffle a playlist instead of just playing the same few artists over and over

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/3...-used-to-be.htm

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

DominoDancing posted:

ALL of my friends use Spotify. Literally all of them. I can send someone a link to a song on Spotify and I know that they'll be able to listen to it. That market penetration is just unbeatable for now.

You're lucky. I try to convince people to use Spotify but they just don't understand how it works. Go figure.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

My friends all used Spotify and then the new update came out and all but two switched to Google, I got real lucky.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Quick update on the PS4 app: I've been enjoying it all day, walking around with my wireless headset and using my galaxy to control it. It's fantastic. There is something wrong with playlist shuffling if you start it from the ps4 app though, it only seems to pull 100 or so songs from the same few artists. If you start shuffling a playlist from the phone it works fine. Hopefully they'll patch that soon. I also played resogun with a few buddies while cranking spotify. It worked really well, and being able to control it from my phone was awesome because I could switch tracks without having to pause the game.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

inSTAALed posted:

It seems to do this on android as well. My running playlist is about 100 songs deep right now but I'm guaranteed to hear a few specific songs at least twice over the course of an hour.

Does google's service let you control music from one device while it plays on another? I like being able to hook my iPod up to the speakers at work and use my phone to control it without having to walk across the kitchen to switch playlists.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Rockzilla posted:

It seems to do this on android as well. My running playlist is about 100 songs deep right now but I'm guaranteed to hear a few specific songs at least twice over the course of an hour.

Does google's service let you control music from one device while it plays on another? I like being able to hook my iPod up to the speakers at work and use my phone to control it without having to walk across the kitchen to switch playlists.

Rockzilla posted:

the playlist i am using for this has 2500 songs and it still happens even if i toggle shuffling on and off a few times... same handful of songs every time

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

inSTAALed posted:

the playlist i am using for this has 2500 songs and it still happens even if i toggle shuffling on and off a few times... same handful of songs every time

I just connect to the ps4 from my phone and start shuffling my playlist which is currently 550+ songs, and it works really well. I have a Galaxy S4, I don't know if that makes a difference.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Medium Cool posted:

I just connect to the ps4 from my phone and start shuffling my playlist which is currently 550+ songs, and it works really well. I have a Galaxy S4, I don't know if that makes a difference.

yeah, it works fine when i control the music through my phone

bizarre

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Mr E posted:

My friends all used Spotify and then the new update came out and all but two switched to Google, I got real lucky.

Same, yay for tech progressive friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
using a google service is considered being tech progressive?

• Locked thread