Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a big step from being funny to being a good host, but so far CC has done a good job about picking who should be behind a desk so I'll reserve judgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

It's a big step from being funny to being a good host, but so far CC has done a good job about picking who should be behind a desk so I'll reserve judgement.

Counterpoint: Colin Quinn, Larry Wilmore.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Larry Wilmore feels like the worst possible replacement for Colbert.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow, what's up RACISTS.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Wow, what's up RACISTS.

Well yes, but what do the welsh have to do with this conversation?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Trevor Noah was on an episode of QI at some point if you want to see him in a more laidback atmosphere than his standup or daily show segments.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IRQ posted:

Just as long as it's still ok to hate the Welsh.

IRQ posted:

Well yes, but what do the welsh have to do with this conversation?

Right... you, me, outside now.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

bobkatt013 posted:

You should watch his first segment about him coming to America from South Africa.

You guys really should. It' here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHO1a1kvZGo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

a cop posted:

I love getting naked and helping people with the blood starved beast..

E: Wrong thread. This last ep was really great though!! A++ discussion keep it up everyone!

The Better Call Saul thread: still a hoot.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

The Nastier Nate posted:

I like Trevor Noah, but I was hoping they'd give Jessica Williams a shot at hosting. She's done a great job with her bits and remote segments.

She didn't want it

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Better Call Saul - how is it so far? I watched the premiere and found it reasonable enough without blowing me away, but I also know that many great shows took time to get rolling. How has the show been since, has it improved? Is it looking like a Joey or like a Frasier as far as spin offs go? Breaking Bad, Justified, Lost off the top of my head had fantastic pilots followed by relative downtime before really picking up steam, I'm trying to decide if it's worth putting another day's worth of viewing in or waiting and seeing another season or so.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad :can:

But seriously it's really good, watch it already.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I think the biggest difference between Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul is the portrayal of their two protagonists. In BB, Walt's agency and the negative choices he makes were what drove the series' plot and all of the inevitable consequences. But in BCS, Jimmy's efforts to do good for others so far have resulted in him being crushed emotionally and psychologically as if by some divine decree, leading him on the path to becoming Saul Goodman just to avoid his pain in acting morally conscious.

Aside from that and other surface details like the new courtroom/law firm setting and the supporting characters, Better Call Saul still feels like another season of Breaking Bad, which is definitely a great thing and they've been hitting it out of the park so far.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Walt was already a broken and bitter man when we met him and pretty much immediately started making selfish, destructive decisions. Jimmy's a flawed protagonist but he's got genuine hope and makes some ethical decisions. We're really watching the world beat Jimmy down where we met Walt after he had already given up.

I think Better Call Saul is a very worthy predecessor to Breaking Bad that is living up to its high standards, of course realizing that we're not even one season through so Saul has a long way to go to be one of "the best shows ever." But its got all the good elements of Breaking Bad without any of the growing pains.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The fact that Leave It to Saul lacks a nagging wife character already makes its better than Breaking Bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

The fact that Leave It to Saul lacks a nagging wife character already makes its better than Breaking Bad.

While watching the latest episode, I wondered how the people who used to lose their mind over Skyler feel about Mrs Kettleman.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

While watching the latest episode, I wondered how the people who used to lose their mind over Skyler feel about Mrs Kettleman.

Judging from the BCS thread they like her a lot.

A whole lot.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Regy Rusty posted:

Judging from the BCS thread they like her a lot.

A whole lot.
They like her by the handful, you might say.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You're trying to trick me into reading that thread, and it won't work.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

You're trying to trick me into reading that thread, and it won't work.
I promise that we're not trying to make a boob of you.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Comedy Central Roast of Justin Bieber is about to start.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DivisionPost posted:

Comedy Central Roast of Justin Bieber is about to start.
I'm DVRing it but Better Call Saul's on now too. There's more important things to watch live!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm DVRing it but Better Call Saul's on now too. There's more important things to watch live!

One joke you missed: "Soul Plane was the worst experience of my life involving a plane."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently there were some pretty nasty dead Paul Walker jokes directed at Ludacris but CC cut them from the broadcast.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So if anyone hasn't watched Black Sails yet I don't know what you're waiting for

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new roasts are pretty lovely because it's a bunch of Comedy Central's contracted generic sex joke comedians insulting someone they don't know.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Aphrodite posted:

The new roasts are pretty lovely because it's a bunch of Comedy Central's contracted generic sex joke comedians insulting someone they don't know.

If you ever watch any of the old Friar's Club roasts they're all a bunch of cringeworthy racist poo poo, at the very least today's roasts inevitably lead to one or two gifted comic writers getting discovered and blowing up afterward.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Right! I lost all respect for them ages ago. i refuse toi watch that Beebs one, not because it's Beebs. But because you can't roast someone who has only lived 23 or whatever years. It's supposed to be a mark of respect for a long career for a respected artist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

If you ever watch any of the old Friar's Club roasts they're all a bunch of cringeworthy racist poo poo, at the very least today's roasts inevitably lead to one or two gifted comic writers getting discovered and blowing up afterward.

It's still racist poo poo now.

And those "gifted comic writers" are all the same. They found 1 writer and then just made like 4 clones.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aphrodite posted:

That's all they've ever been since they stopped showing the actual Friars Club roasts. The first "Comedy Central" one was for Denis Leary, which was organized by Denis Leary himself because nobody even liked Denis Leary enough to put him in a room and tell him what a shithead he is for a couple of hours.

Not sure why anyone considers this poo poo even worthy of DVR space. I didn't know they were going to be pre-empting the entire evening schedule to show it over and over again.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 31, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

Not sure why anyone considers this poo poo even worthy of DVR space. I didn't know they were going to be pre-empting the entire evening schedule to show it over and over again.

Because they want to see "funny" "comedians" tell lovely "jokes" about someone they don't like because they're totally tearing that guy apart see? I mean a roast for Justin Beiber really? What was the last roast too hard or something?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I still can't imagine a roast worse than the Donald Trump one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was James Franco so probably. There's not a lot bad to say about him.

It was all gay jokes I think.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I enjoy Chris D'Elia and Hannibal Buress a good bit, so that's why I'm interested in seeing it :shobon: I don't really care about....wait, Martha Stewart?! Why the gently caress is Martha Stewart one of the roasters?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They usually stick one random old non comedian person in the group. Didn't Larry King do one of them?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

SA2K posted:

So if anyone hasn't watched Black Sails yet I don't know what you're waiting for

The latest episode was a really great payoff for all the setting up that came before it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Because they want to see "funny" "comedians" tell lovely "jokes" about someone they don't like because they're totally tearing that guy apart see?

Yes and no. The idea that the target is "getting what he deserves" doesn't hold water at this point because each comic will finish off a set with some kind of compliment or ego stroke, assuring him in some way that he's not really that awful. It's really just an excuse for comics to drop the gloves and let loose with some way off-color material, or for other noted personalities to show different sides of themselves. So, yeah, whether you like it or not depends entirely on how you feel about the people involved. This time there's Kevin Hart, Hannibal Buress, Pete Davison, Natasha Leggero, Chris D'Elia, Jeff Ross (natch), Ludacris, Snoop Dogg, Shaquille O'Neal, and Martha Stewart.

(And for the record? Stewart killed. I'm sure her material was written by someone else but her delivery was incredible.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 31, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Martha Stewart is the sort of entertainer for whom delivery is everything. She had to make homemaking exciting. I'm not suprised that she can spin comedy gold from straw.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So I'm about six episodes into the first season of The Wire (after being told by many people that it's the best show ever made), and the story just isn't really pulling me in. Is this one of those shows that starts out kind of slow and captures you later on down the road? Or is it five seasons of them just wire tapping payphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, Martha Stewart in this roast :stare: I never thought I'd be laughing this hard at anything coming out of her mouth.

• Locked thread