Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
i had to adblock imgay's avatar because of mafia'ing at work like a good employee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Opopanax posted:

D1 scum deaths are actually almost always bad in the long wrong. You lose the interactions and they may as well have been 3P

I wanted to find a reason to say this is a silly post and that you were silly for making it, but.... I think you might be right. Huh. Had never considered that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This is why you need to arbitrarily ask people for opinions on other players. Hiipfire what is your opinion on Epsilon Plus

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Poque posted:

I don't follow

I think Somberbrero means that you can't ignore early posts, even if it is page 4.

I've been going through the posts thus far. No one jumps out at me. I am fairly sure that Henry Rollins is not one of the Ramones, however.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poque posted:

i had to adblock imgay's avatar because of mafia'ing at work like a good employee.

Yeah.

Opopanax posted:

D1 scum deaths are actually almost always bad in the long wrong. You lose the interactions and they may as well have been 3P

The scum team loses whatever mechanical advantage that player provided, from the numbers advantage to their role function. There should constant, fresh content for you to analyze if everyone is Playing Mafia anyway.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the main (only?) problem with a D1 scum death is when it makes town too complacent and it coasts for the next couple game days. some people get way lazy when their team is ahead.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Poque posted:

This is why you need to arbitrarily ask people for opinions on other players. Hiipfire what is your opinion on Epsilon Plus

EPlus is in this game?????

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somber, do you see what I see in Poque?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I feel Poque is stymieing discussion and trying to undermine what little content exists.

I don't like Hiipfire's response to Poque's fake question, even though it was a joke. I suppose that's because Hiipfire bothered to respond to it at all. I like Poque's fake question less.

##vote Poque

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I saw a joke question, I gave a joke response

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Somber, do you see what I see in Poque?

I don't see it in the same way that you do but yes ultimately.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

HiipFire posted:

I saw a joke question, I gave a joke response

That was less the part I would like you to respond to.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Eh. I see what you mean about stymieing discussion, though it was just meant to be commentary on how d1s generally go. It wasn't intentional, I just have a hard time parsing which posts are meaningful for identifying scum and which posts are just mindless fluff.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

chaoslord posted:

Yeah, this is about right. It's absolutely a crapshoot but it can turn good if people are willing to put in the effort. I mean, this thread has four pages, and here on page four it has it's first serious posts. We just need a couple of people to be willing to put reads out there and we are on our way to h. For instance,

Somber, what responses in particular struck out to you as awkward? Has it just been everything from them or what?

Noticed here that it's weird you don't try to interpret MCED on your own at all. Why ask what I'm thinking without talking about what you're thinking?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

Noticed here that it's weird you don't try to interpret MCED on your own at all. Why ask what I'm thinking without talking about what you're thinking?

I don't think it's that weird. When I'm asking somebody a question in a game I try to have my opinion influence them as little as possible.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I don't think it's that weird. When I'm asking somebody a question in a game I try to have my opinion influence them as little as possible.

He doesn't follow up on it at all.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

He's posted once since.

I don't think that's a credible line anyway though. Asking questions is all about gaining info from somebody else and not tooting about your own reads.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

It's a fair enough question to ask. I didn't have a read on MCED at all so I was just curious why you thought the way you did. You gave your read, I went and looked at it, disagreed, but not more so than a gut feeling that you were wrong. I guess I could (should?) have posted that I disagreed. Made a note of your thoughts and moved on.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

He's posted once since.

I don't think that's a credible line anyway though. Asking questions is all about gaining info from somebody else and not tooting about your own reads.

What's the purpose of the discussion you and I are having right now?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

:shrug:
I think largely I'm just so hopped up on being in a mafia game after such a long break I'm just very excitable.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It occurs to me that I didn't really follow up on my Poque thoughts though.

Poque wasn't being genuine with his "don't turbo opop" thing. His early post about it and him admitting he didn't even know how many votes were on opop shows me he was more concerned with how he looked than what he was doing.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

:shrug:
I think largely I'm just so hopped up on being in a mafia game after such a long break I'm just very excitable.

You're gung-ho to defend Chaos Lord before he can even defend himself, but I'm not attacking him. I was more interested in the tone of the response than the content.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

You're gung-ho to defend Chaos Lord before he can even defend himself, but I'm not attacking him. I was more interested in the tone of the response than the content.

It's because I disagreed with where you seemed to be going with that.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Seeing his response is less than thrilling though. I don't like when players beg for forgiveness at slight pressure.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Seeing his response is less than thrilling though. I don't like when players beg for forgiveness at slight pressure.

I know he didn't actually apologize I just mean I don't like when players take their tone into "oh yeah you're very reasonable and correct, let me explain this misunderstanding" territory

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I think this is going to be One of Those Games because I liked that response.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It occurs to me that I didn't really follow up on my Poque thoughts though.

Poque wasn't being genuine with his "don't turbo opop" thing. His early post about it and him admitting he didn't even know how many votes were on opop shows me he was more concerned with how he looked than what he was doing.

that's some crap! I didn't "admit" anything, that's manipulative language to obscure what actually happened.

1. I see a bunch of votes for opop and calls for a turbo.
2. I say "don't turbo opop"
3. You wonder why I responded the way I did.
4. I say it's because a turbo is a bad decision.
5. You say there wasn't risk.
6. I say I wasn't aware of whether or not there was risk.

why am I not allowed to chime and point out that a turbo would be dumb whether there's risk or not? Me not knowing the number of votes isn't "admitting" anything.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Somberbrero posted:

backpedaling away from an argument that had a bad start. the way chaoslord responded to your MCED vote wasn't telling at all and this is trying to end that without having to say anything was wrong.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Going to work, I'll respond to POQUE'S points when I'm back

E: idk why my phone autocorrects Poque to all caps

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Going to work, I'll respond to POQUE'S points when I'm back

E: idk why my phone autocorrects Poque to all caps

hahaha my old phone would autocapitalize TIM TEBOW and KIRK HINRICH and DIQNOL.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ugh I'm having one of those games where all the first reads I have are town :sigh:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

##vote rarity

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Looks like we are out of the joking phase now.

## unvote

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rarity posted:

Ugh I'm having one of those games where all the first reads I have are town :sigh:

Talk through your reads, it's not immediately bad to think people are good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Poque posted:

Talk through your reads, it's not immediately bad to think people are good

Well I like your reasoning behind telling people not to turbo, I like MMM's level of engagement and drive to create content and I like Somber's attempts to push people to explain their opinions. All three of you read like you're coming from legit places.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Opopanax posted:

##vote rarity

Agreed.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I didn't see anything wrong with Poque's posting about not turboing Opop.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Is this based on my defence of Poque/MMM or my lack of scum reads?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rarity posted:

It's this. This is a scum post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Opopanax posted:

It's this. This is a scum post.

Yeah.

##vote Rarity

• Locked thread