Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm so excited for Daredevil. He's really a badass character and a lot of people had that awful movie as their introduction. Hopefully this show gives the character some much needed love.

I was one of these people, and there's still a part of me that can't get the bad taste of Affleck out of my mouth, but I am cautiously optimistic (bordering on mildly hyped) for this interpretation of Daredevil. Ultimately the one of these that I am most excited for is Jessica Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Daredevil was a generic superhero and then Frank Miller was given free reign on the character. You can see a lot of Miller's motifs and themes that would later define Batman (Year One and DKR) be given a test run in Miller's Daredevil run.

It is gobsmackingly good, one of those runs you read and instantly understand why that writer's take instantly was taken as gospel. At the risk of ignoring a lot of talented runs, it wasn't really until Bendis and Brubaker (in successive and linked runs) that someone made other parts of his character work equally well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If anyone is interested in catching up with the character the runs you want to read are Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid. There are other fine installments but those are the ones you want. Miller is the foundation. Bendis and Brubaker are the runs the basically tear the character apart and put him through near endless poo poo and Waid's run is the light at the end of the tunnel that puts him back together.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Daredevil trailer looks awesome, but is lacking in Catholic themes/imagery.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This thread is making me hyped

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There was another run from Anna Nacoti that was pretty good as well. I'd love to see Typhoid Mary in this series.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have to admit, Daredevil is the character I am least familiar with; I knew the basics but I was kind of surprised how violent/gritty the character is; I kind of viewed him a cut-rate blind Spider-Man before, simply because I didn't know that much about him.

Yeah, Daredevil rules. He's one of the heroes that actually killed people and didn't even bat an eye about it. He's also tortured bad guys. He's a pretty drat grimdark character.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah, Daredevil rules. He's one of the heroes that actually killed people and didn't even bat an eye about it. He's also tortured bad guys. He's a pretty drat grimdark character.

I thought Daredevil didn't kill? I mean, he's always giving The Punisher grief for killing people, which would make him a hypocrite if that were the case. I thought his thing, since being a lawyer, was to see these criminals put through the process of law.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Murdock's not quite as 'no-kill' as Spider-Man or Batman, but he usually wants the bad guys to get due process. He's been pushed a few times, including a riveting issue where he basically plays Russian Roulette with an in-traction Bullseye for killing his lover and ruining his life.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Daredevil trailer looks awesome, but is lacking in Catholic themes/imagery.

The teaser trailer that came out first has him going to confession.

notthegoatseguy posted:

There was another run from Anna Nacoti that was pretty good as well. I'd love to see Typhoid Mary in this series.

Ann Nocenti. She actually had a slightly similar approach to Waid, in that they both featured villains you might not otherwise think of putting Daredevil against.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Deadpool posted:

If anyone is interested in catching up with the character the runs you want to read are Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid. There are other fine installments but those are the ones you want. Miller is the foundation. Bendis and Brubaker are the runs the basically tear the character apart and put him through near endless poo poo and Waid's run is the light at the end of the tunnel that puts him back together.

I remember really liking Kevin Smith's run (with Quesada doing the art I think) but maybe that's just because at the time Daredevil had been such a terribly wasted character, and this was actually attempting something interesting, maybe it's aged horribly?

Bendis' run was stupendous though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I remember really liking Kevin Smith's run (with Quesada doing the art I think) but maybe that's just because at the time Daredevil had been such a terribly wasted character, and this was actually attempting something interesting, maybe it's aged horribly?

Bendis' run was stupendous though.

Quesada's art was great, but Smith's script did fall a little into 'greatest hits' territory, and the villain is very Marmite among readers. People either love the novelty, or hate the outcome.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Like I said there are plenty of other good runs on the character that I didn't mention that are worth reading. The Nocenti run is fine, the Diggle run between Brubaker and Waid is fine, and the Kevin Smith run is a run that also exists and can be read with your eyes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, the Kevin Smith run might've worked better if you read it at the time, but coming to it like a couple of years ago I thought it was a deeply cynical piece of poo poo. Like all the AIDS stuff and Daredevil almost killing a baby for no reason, just awful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the AIDS thing was actually Smith trying to actually cover the topic, not just a shock-value thing. He introduced an HIV positive character in Green Arrow also.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Gaz-L posted:

I think the AIDS thing was actually Smith trying to actually cover the topic, not just a shock-value thing. He introduced an HIV positive character in Green Arrow also.

He created Speedy but it was Winnick that made her HIV positive years later.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Davros1 posted:

I thought Daredevil didn't kill? I mean, he's always giving The Punisher grief for killing people, which would make him a hypocrite if that were the case. I thought his thing, since being a lawyer, was to see these criminals put through the process of law.

I forget the run but he kills a bunch of Hand ninjas and I vaguely remember him killing Bullseye once.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I forget the run but he kills a bunch of Hand ninjas and I vaguely remember him killing Bullseye once.

That was the Shadowland mini-series where he sort of became a bad guy.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Deadpool posted:

The Death of Captain Jean DeWolf is also good, and as it's a Spider-Man/Daredevil story that defines both those characters.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Deadpool posted:

Also as for the grittiness of Daredevil, if there's one character where that's not just a buzzword it's Daredevil. Grittiness is a core part of the character and it defines most of the classic stories. No superhero gets dumped on like Daredevil. His life is hell. And it's entertaining a as hell. And I say that as someone that normally doesn't care for dark and gritty comics. Daredevil is the exception.

My favorite Daredevil moment was during Inferno. Everything is going to poo poo and he's trapped in a Frank Miller drawn techno organic demon hell, and the only way he can cope is to wordlessly beat as much rear end as possible with a vacant expression.

Like, he's beating a possessed human to death with its own hook hand while it taunts him the entire time, and the only reaction he has is a "gently caress my life" PTSD stare. :allears:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
New Daredevil motion poster; might have our first glimpse of the MCU version of the classic horned costume (look closely at the reflection).

https://youtu.be/ltzGfeqWp_M

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

Barry Convex posted:

New Daredevil motion poster; might have our first glimpse of the MCU version of the classic horned costume (look closely at the reflection).

https://youtu.be/ltzGfeqWp_M

Who is narrating? I hope Its not daredevil. I don't think i like The voice that much. Its giving me Bale flashbacks

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

just_a_guy posted:

Who is narrating? I hope Its not daredevil. I don't think i like The voice that much. Its giving me Bale flashbacks

Several voices, I recognize at least Kingpin and Daredevil in there, maybe some others too I forget. (wasn't there a woman?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's some Kingpin and Urich, for sure.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Matt is the last voice. Night Nurse right before him. The line about Hell's Kitchen needing to die was Fisk. The one about no heroes and villains was Ben Urich. The first female was probably Karen Page.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Eh, ninjas are like aliens, monsters, or robots in that you can kill them without moral repercussions.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Soonmot posted:

Eh, ninjas are like aliens, monsters, or robots in that you can kill them without moral repercussions.

See: Arrow a couple weeks ago when they were infiltrating the league vs this week when "he hasn't killed anybody in years"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Grain of salt: Devin Faraci says he's "hearing very bad buzz on Daredevil." Granted, he's been pretty negative on the show and the rest of the Defenders project for a while, so we'll have to wait until the reviews hit (later this week, I think) to see how much of this is confirmation bias and how much is an accurate summary of critical opinion.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
New Daredevil trailer, horrible facebook link:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1607643129471924&set=vb.1405070773062495

(sorry, there's probably a youtube but I didn't see it anywhere)

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

Grain of salt: Devin Faraci says he's "hearing very bad buzz on Daredevil." Granted, he's been pretty negative on the show and the rest of the Defenders project for a while, so we'll have to wait until the reviews hit (later this week, I think) to see how much of this is confirmation bias and how much is an accurate summary of critical opinion.

So what has he thought of other shows? What is he like as a critic?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HERAK posted:

Devin Faraci is an alright news source for certain things, but he's hardly an arbiter of good taste. Some things he's right on about and some things he's way off. Like most critics.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Soonmot posted:

And remember, Ninjas are more afraid of you than you are of them

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

HERAK posted:

He's garbage and a huge baby in general. That said, he's a blatant cheerleader for Marvel poo poo so if he's putting out news saying Daredevil is bad, it may well be shockingly terrible.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Azhais posted:

And remember, Ninjas are more afraid of you than you are of them

Just remember the Law of Ninjitsu. Multiple ninjas are easy meat no matter who's fighting them. A lone ninja is a world ending badass only defeated by dint of heroic effort and sacrifice.

Therefore, when you've killed all but the last two ninjas, try to kill them both simultaneously to prevent an occurrence of Lone Ninja. :ninja:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

He's garbage and a huge baby in general. That said, he's a blatant cheerleader for Marvel poo poo so if he's putting out news saying Daredevil is bad, it may well be shockingly terrible.

Marvel Studios, yes. Marvel Television, not so much.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Luke Cage has a showrunner: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-names-southland-producer-hodari-coker-as-luke-cage-showrunner

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
A review of the first episode of Daredevil.

http://televisedrevolution.com/review/review-marvels-daredevil-episode-1

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anyone involved with making any part of Southland is good news to me.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Deadpool posted:

Anyone involved with making any part of Southland is good news to me.

I hope it works out because I more exited for Luke Cage then all the others.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Well that's pretty hopeful. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

quote:

Following the weak Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the better, but barely watched, Agent Carter series

Agents of Shield has been loving great since the last half of season 1, this guy should probably go and finish the series.