Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
HAahahaha not guilty.... hahaahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
wada going to set a land speed record in appealing that

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

If they are found not guilty those Collingwood players are going to be buried in a pile of poo poo so deep they'll be lucky to ever see the sun again.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
also your standard warning to not approach anywhere near bigfooty in the next few days weeks year millenia

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
also tim watson was right about something :psyduck:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i like josh thomas so i hope he didn't put drugs in his butt

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I guess the Tribunal couldn't officially sanction the players based on the fact that there was no concrete proof of guilt. We all believe they did wrong, but no proof no conviction.

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 31, 2015

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

TG-Chrono posted:

I guess the Tribunal couldn't use officially sanction the players based on the fact that there was no concrete proof of guilt. We all believe they did wrong, but no proof no conviction.

They don't need concrete proof though, there's a relatively light burden of proof once infraction notices go out.

If Josh Thomas and Lachie Keefe get done after Essendon get off we'll be underwater 50 years early from rising tear levels.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Richard Ings was saying if the appeals are carried out this could go on until 2016

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
tony abbott is going to try to take the credit for this

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Congrats to the Wirrawee Irregulars who bravely picked Heppell in the first round.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
apparently asada got as far as establishing that stephen dank intended to administer tb-4, but broke down in proving that it was actually administered due to the complete lack of paperwork provided by any of the parties :allears:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
ASADA are going to decide on whether to appeal tonight and will announce their decision tomorrow morning, so that's quick at least. Then we just have to wait on WADA.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Man, your doping scandals are so much more interesting than ours.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

snaeksikn posted:

im looking at building something similar for fun and try to add in some additional weightings to see if form can be predicted. that said, you have west coast and adelaide as ranked higher then richmond and essendon? how does that work? do flat track bullies return higher values then teams who grind it out?
"grinding out" and "flat track bullies" are subjective qualities, once you start disregarding certain results because of :airquotes:reasons:airquotes: you get into some murky areas. When one team beats another by 10 goals it doesn't matter if one team gave up or they were just plain bad.

The wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_rating_system has a pretty good rundown of the issues with ratings systems, mine has a heap that kind of annoy me but generally it runs pretty close to the odds (it doesn't beat them, mainly because of the bookie's margin) which I'm satisfied with.

Travelling is an easy one to determine and to model for, and when I take that into account it improves results considerably. On the suggestion of people in this thread I went to check if the disparity in rest days had much of an effect and strangely it didn't.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JohnSherman posted:

Man, your doping scandals are so much more interesting than ours.

they suck rear end. this has been going on for as long as i've been following the sport.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Gough Suppressant posted:

apparently asada got as far as establishing that stephen dank intended to administer tb-4, but broke down in proving that it was actually administered due to the complete lack of paperwork provided by any of the parties :allears:

didnt jobe watson actually admit to the media last year that he was administered it?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

didnt jobe watson actually admit to the media last year that he was administered it?

nah, that was about AOD-9604, not Thymosin Beta-4.

The fact remains that Essendon don't know what the gently caress their players were injected with, and that is utterly hosed.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

this whole saga has been painful. sack everyone in charge of essendon.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

this whole saga has been painful. sack everyone in charge of essendon.

this

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

The fact remains that Essendon don't know what the gently caress their players were injected with, and that is utterly hosed.

You'd feel sick in the guts if you were an Essendon player from this era, not knowing what the hell was injected, all administered by some shonk who's banned in another major national sporting code.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Spedman posted:

You'd feel sick in the guts if you were an Essendon player from this era, not knowing what the hell was injected, all administered by some shonk who's banned in another major national sporting code.

the only upside is that its mens sports not womens, so whatever it was it's extremely unlikely to affect their kids. But any time in the future you have some weird symptoms come together you'd have half a mind wondering whether its because of what those loving pricks did to you.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah I'm sort of OK with the players getting off, with reservations, because it was the club organisation that hosed up. Whether the 2013 club sanctions will be considered enough to cover that.

I feel there are still a few threads left to run in this whole stupid saga off-field but as far as the actual footy goes, hopefully we're at the end of it.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Apparently, there are two more players that took Clenbuterol. Rumors are that they are Carlton and St Kilda players.

E: :bang:

Periphery fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 31, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm sincerely hoping WADA appeals to CAS, because everyone getting off due to Essendon not keeping any paperwork is such street gang level bullshit.

Serously, this finding is as legit as the Spanish Cycling Federation finding Alberto Contador not guilty, and CAS saw through that self serving bullshit and overturned the ruling, gave him a 2 year ban and stripped him of a TdF title

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 31, 2015

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Periphery posted:

Apparently, there are two more players that took Clenbuterol. Rumors are that they are Carlton and St Kilda players.

proof that drugs don't work

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

I'm sincerely hoping WADA appeals to CAS, because everyone getting off due to Essendon not keeping any paperwork is such street gang level bullshit.

Serously, this finding is as legit as the Spanish Cycling Federation finding Alberto Contador not guilty, and CAS saw through that self serving bullshit and overturned the ruling, gave him a 2 year ban and stripped him of a TdF title
Reminds me of my avatar.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Periphery posted:

Tom Bell & Tom Hickey allegedly. All queenslanders and all in that 23/24 age range.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

The Deadly Hume posted:

Reminds me of my avatar.

That would imply Hird is as competent as Stringer was

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

"grinding out" and "flat track bullies" are subjective qualities, once you start disregarding certain results because of :airquotes:reasons:airquotes: you get into some murky areas. When one team beats another by 10 goals it doesn't matter if one team gave up or they were just plain bad.

The wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_rating_system has a pretty good rundown of the issues with ratings systems, mine has a heap that kind of annoy me but generally it runs pretty close to the odds (it doesn't beat them, mainly because of the bookie's margin) which I'm satisfied with.

Travelling is an easy one to determine and to model for, and when I take that into account it improves results considerably. On the suggestion of people in this thread I went to check if the disparity in rest days had much of an effect and strangely it didn't.

yeah i just suppose theres no additional weighting given for actually winning, and you just go off scores for and against. so if you win small and lose big, even if you win more than you lose you wont have a high ranking, which would probably be why richmond and essendon are lower than west coast and adelaide in this instance?

I wouldn't mind seeing if i could crunch the numbers and work out an additional factor for teams performances at each ground, so that you can narrow down where the ground advantage depending on the sides occurs. pulling the info out of footywire looks like a fair bit of formatting work which is annoying, would be nice if they had an excel exporting function.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

That would imply Hird is as competent as Stringer was

well they both bit off more than they could chew :haw:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Hird should go to jail

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Ahh, good times.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Oh yeah guys, word of warning for this year regarding the Bulldogs. Since we have two Boyds on our list, one will be referred to as Toyd and the other as Moyd.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

yeah i just suppose theres no additional weighting given for actually winning, and you just go off scores for and against. so if you win small and lose big, even if you win more than you lose you wont have a high ranking, which would probably be why richmond and essendon are lower than west coast and adelaide in this instance?

I wouldn't mind seeing if i could crunch the numbers and work out an additional factor for teams performances at each ground, so that you can narrow down where the ground advantage depending on the sides occurs. pulling the info out of footywire looks like a fair bit of formatting work which is annoying, would be nice if they had an excel exporting function.

For non Victorian grounds the sample size would be tiny for anyone but the home team so I see that being a massive problem.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

They don't need concrete proof though, there's a relatively light burden of proof once infraction notices go out.

That isn't actually true, there is a sliding scale of the level of proof needed and in order to be 'comfortably satisfied' a serious allegation is true the court needs much more proof than if it was relatively minor.

NTRabbit posted:

:qq:
If ASADA couldn't find a paper trail after 2 years of searching it probably doesn't exist.

I hope those idiots don't derail yet another season with more of this pointless bullshit.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Testekill posted:

Tom Bell & Tom Hickey allegedly. All queenslanders and all in that 23/24 age range.

Rumour mill has also stated the the two players are another two from Collingwood.

So no one has any real clue right at the moment.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Do they expect teams to keep paperwork for illegal activities?

"Dear Diary,

Today I got injected with a performance enhancing drug, it is illegal."

"Today's training program:
-Running
-Weights
-Illegal drug injection"

Did they buy all the peptides just to look at?

edit: Basically I think this is the AFL covering their own rear end. Nothing bad happened, the players are all great. James Hird is even better, he's our poster boy.

But this other Dank guy, he's not a player, or an ex-player. He's bad, but he's gone now. AFL is a clean sport now that he has gone. It's all due to him. Nobody else.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

EvilElmo posted:

Do they expect teams to keep paperwork for illegal activities?

"Dear Diary,

Today I got injected with a performance enhancing drug, it is illegal."

"Today's training program:
-Running
-Weights
-Illegal drug injection"

Did they buy all the peptides just to look at?

Apparently. And somehow how an inept record keeping system meant that the missing records simply must have contained evidence of banned drugs. Too bad our justice system requires actual proof of wrongdoing to record a conviction, and not just the collective will of Big Footy.

• Locked thread