Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

SpelledBackwards posted:

I'm only 30, but with SXSW going on in town and ads like that I find myself complaining about young whippersnappers and the next generation (and also my generation) more than I probably should. I don't really get the appeal of stuff like that, but what do I know?

It's almost nostalgic for those of us who were in high school in the early 90s. Except the only finger thing I could do was the west side thing, because Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia were some mark rear end bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Also it looks like Google is trying out this "let people know your product exists" strategy that Apple is so good at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybg5klCxQGA
It...kinda reminded me of the first Surface ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB5txqIl8jQ

Just in terms of "hey look! new product, here's some kids dancin!". But at least it's just dancing while wearing/showing off their watches vs, I don't know how to describe it, a dance number with tablets?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Well I used to pop in my youth so I got a bit nostalgic over the tutting and boxing going on in the video.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I've had a Gear Live for about six weeks now, and I'm still stuck on Wear 4.4. I've reset the watch maybe seven or eight times now trying to get the update, as per advice from other Gear Live owners, but no dice. It's annoying, because a lot of Wear apps only work on 5.x now.

Anyone here have any ideas?

edit: I dug into it yesterday and it turned out I had a debug/developer firmware for some reason. I followed the directions from this post and eventually got it working!

pksage fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 24, 2015

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

It's there a decent silicone or rubber strap for the 360? It seems like the only aftermarket straps I'm finding are metal or leather.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JayKay posted:

It's there a decent silicone or rubber strap for the 360? It seems like the only aftermarket straps I'm finding are metal or leather.

Tylt usually makes good products.

http://www.tylt.com/moto360-band/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Has there been any word about a 360-2?

I procrastinated so long about getting a 360 because of its downsides, that now I'm thinking I'll just wait for the next generation of Wear devices...

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Thermopyle posted:

Has there been any word about a 360-2?

I procrastinated so long about getting a 360 because of its downsides, that now I'm thinking I'll just wait for the next generation of Wear devices...

There were the leaked photos of the 2nd gen model that showed the lugs being moved outside the watch and no change on the flat-tire screen.

Otherwise I was on the same boat as you but then I bit the bullet and bought the silver one. It's nice, but the battery life sucks unless you really know how to manage app use/background use and other stupid quirks (if you turn on GPS on your phone, the watch battery dies at x2 rate). It's slow at times, and Android Wear is definitely not useful yet other than a more expensive Pebble. But it's really, really good looking.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
That really hasn't been my experience, and locations services and GPS are always on on my phone.

In the six months I've owned my Moto 360, I've run out of power on it unexpectedly exactly twice: Once, when I let my phone run out of juice and it apparently kept searching for it until it ate all its power, and the second time was when I forgot to throw it on a charger at night, didn't realize it until 15 minutes before work, and that wasn't long enough to get it full again. Died on me at about 3PM.

Most days, I put it on my wrist at about 7:30 AM, and put it back on the charger at midnight to 1AM. Yeah, it won't make it through two full days without a charge, but neither will any of the smartphones I've owned. On occasion, I have had it last more than 24 hours.

I also wouldn't say that I've really been managing background app use, other than making a halfhearted attempt at making sure that apps whose notifications are mostly worthless on my wrist aren't sending them.

Perhaps I'm a weird edge case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

With my 360, I found I can take it off the charger at 9am on day one and be at about 10% battery life at 9pm the following day. So, not quite 48 hours (more like 36), but I can get two days use out of it if I forget to charge it one night.

Of course, I already have a Qi charger at work so if I really want to to last all evening after I forgot to charge it the night before, I can have it back up to 100% in under an hour.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I figured at this point I'll just wait for the 360-2, but I think I've resigned myself to getting one of these useless things :v:

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
To add, I have a 360 and always get all day battery life. I just hope android wear gets updated more because apple watch is going to put some serious competition their way. In a way that's good because it's kind of a slow burn and I know there's more functionality they could put in.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ive been using the 360 since launch and get more than all day battery without any silly tricks. My gps is on, i use the watch for strava and to control music every day at the gym, and get updates constantly.

I wake up at 5am, put my watch on at 5:45, and take it off when i get home from the office at 7 or 8pm and I'm usually at 45% battery or so.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Hearing stories like you guys is what made me get the 360 in the first place, which is why I got so upset when I got poo poo instead.

Maybe I have to give it a few more weeks, or my Note 4 hates non-samsung wearables. Or I have to reset it, or something. I dunno.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

eyebeem posted:

Ive been using the 360 since launch and get more than all day battery without any silly tricks. My gps is on, i use the watch for strava and to control music every day at the gym, and get updates constantly.

I wake up at 5am, put my watch on at 5:45, and take it off when i get home from the office at 7 or 8pm and I'm usually at 45% battery or so.

I'd count the screen turning off all the time as a silly trick, especially since the gyroscope isn't 100% reliable. Other android wear watches can get two days with a true always on screen.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm returning the 360. Maybe my phone sucks, maybe I got a defective one, but whatever the case it's just not workable.

1. It loses connection often, for no apparent reason. This sucks because obviously it renders it useless for notifications, but also it occasionally happens without the watch even recognizing it. So I could be using an OK Google command and it would take a minute or two to realize that it has no idea what I'm saying because it's not connected.

2. Battery life is poo poo. From what I've gathered, I'm special and unique because it sucks compared to everyone else here. Even with airplane mode on, ambient mode off, it has an (estimated) time of less than 20 hours, a far cry from the 2 days that people seem to be getting. It also gets warm randomly, which is probably where all the power is going. This is also after I removed literally every app apart from Wear Battery Stats, which would be ironic if it was causing my battery woes. I even reset the watch to maybe fix it, but instead that actually made it worse. -10%/hr on airplane mode, everybody?

3. It's really... not that useful. My pebble did the same thing in a not-as-nice package with a better battery life, which made it basically worry-free. I'm all in for the second generation of Wear devices, and maaaaaybe even the G Watch R. Maybe with the next version, it will become more useful. It's a massive shame because the watch is legitimately beautiful and I wouldn't mind wearing it just as a watch, if I had any taste in regular watches.

I'm also very, very cautious about first generation devices, especially Motorola ones. I'm in massive loving idiot that sprung for the Xoom when it came out, and that was literally The Worst Thing Ever. That was too much money down the drain, and I'm anxious to avoid the same fate with the 360. Luckily it's still within the return window, so nothing is lost :unsmith:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

eyebeem posted:

I usually get that as well, though today it poo poo the battery after around 7 hours. This has only happened twice since I bought the 360.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Logikv9 posted:

I'm returning the 360. Maybe my phone sucks, maybe I got a defective one, but whatever the case it's just not workable.

1. It loses connection often, for no apparent reason. This sucks because obviously it renders it useless for notifications, but also it occasionally happens without the watch even recognizing it. So I could be using an OK Google command and it would take a minute or two to realize that it has no idea what I'm saying because it's not connected.

2. Battery life is poo poo. From what I've gathered, I'm special and unique because it sucks compared to everyone else here. Even with airplane mode on, ambient mode off, it has an (estimated) time of less than 20 hours, a far cry from the 2 days that people seem to be getting. It also gets warm randomly, which is probably where all the power is going. This is also after I removed literally every app apart from Wear Battery Stats, which would be ironic if it was causing my battery woes. I even reset the watch to maybe fix it, but instead that actually made it worse. -10%/hr on airplane mode, everybody?

3. It's really... not that useful. My pebble did the same thing in a not-as-nice package with a better battery life, which made it basically worry-free. I'm all in for the second generation of Wear devices, and maaaaaybe even the G Watch R. Maybe with the next version, it will become more useful. It's a massive shame because the watch is legitimately beautiful and I wouldn't mind wearing it just as a watch, if I had any taste in regular watches.

I'm also very, very cautious about first generation devices, especially Motorola ones. I'm in massive loving idiot that sprung for the Xoom when it came out, and that was literally The Worst Thing Ever. That was too much money down the drain, and I'm anxious to avoid the same fate with the 360. Luckily it's still within the return window, so nothing is lost :unsmith:

I used to be able to get a good 2 days out of my LG G Watch. Now, I'll get a crazy battery drain that'll happen nearly every day. It'll burn through half of the battery in like 2-3 hours. My usage pattern really hasn't changed either. So my typical battery will last less than 24 hours now.

I noticed this happening with the update that added the "find your phone" function to the launcher. Anyone else experience this?

I also had the frequent disconnections as well when I was on the pre 5.1 lollipop builds for my Nexus 6. It would often say that it wasn't connected when I was trying to give it voice commands, despite the fact that it had just received notifications. Furthermore, when it would recognize that it was connected to my phone it would often fail to pass the voice command through. Like, I would say "Okay Google, navigate to home." It would correctly figure out what I spoke, then say it was sending the command to my phone, but then nothing would happen on my phone. I counted once, and it once took 9 tries for it to successfully pass my voice command to my phone and have the phone open Google maps and do the search.

Ever since my phone updated to 5.1, however, I've had a much more consistent connection to my phone. The watch will almost always correctly pass the commands to my phone, and the phone will correctly respond when it receives them.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

I used to be able to get a good 2 days out of my LG G Watch. Now, I'll get a crazy battery drain that'll happen nearly every day. It'll burn through half of the battery in like 2-3 hours. My usage pattern really hasn't changed either. So my typical battery will last less than 24 hours now.

I noticed this happening with the update that added the "find your phone" function to the launcher. Anyone else experience this?

Yes. :(

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I blame you. You cursed me. This is the first time i've had this happen to me in months.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Oh god, watches that overheat and crash. Hi progress!

So what's new on the Band front? Any scent of a sequel? I quite enjoyed having wrist notifications and for some reason I'm persevering with WPhone.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
So searching found me nothing, but "Ok google" has stopped working on my Zenwatch. Any ideas?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

booshi posted:

So searching found me nothing, but "Ok google" has stopped working on my Zenwatch. Any ideas?

Check that theater mode is not on. I had the same problem and realized I had turned this mode on somehow. Alternately, your mic is plugged up with gunk?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is Motorola still doing RMAs for the Moto 360? The cracks on the back have gotten bigger.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Len posted:

Is Motorola still doing RMAs for the Moto 360? The cracks on the back have gotten bigger.

They're still selling it, why wouldn't they be offering warranty service?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Len posted:

Don't see why they wouldn't - it should have a 1yr warranty on it.

Good luck with Motorola though - I've heard nothing but terrible things from them w/r/t their support.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Looks like I'm getting an estimated 36 hours or so with my relatively new replacement Moto 360.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

eyebeem posted:

Check that theater mode is not on. I had the same problem and realized I had turned this mode on somehow. Alternately, your mic is plugged up with gunk?

A restart didn't fix it at first, then it did. Mic was clean and at first I thought it was the Nato strap I'm using.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

BoyBlunder posted:

Don't see why they wouldn't - it should have a 1yr warranty on it.

Good luck with Motorola though - I've heard nothing but terrible things from them w/r/t their support.

Motorola support is great and, at least in the Android thread here, their support gets many rave reviews.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
It's all anecdotal anyway. Here's mine: I shipped a black second gen Moto G to Moto for repair, they shipped me back a white one. Hmm.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's all anecdotal anyway.

That's very insightful.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The fact of the matter is some people will inevitably receive poor support and people are much more likely to be vocal about poor support than good support.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
What's the best app for a "find my phone" type thingy for a moto 360? Is there one that also lets me know when I'm more than X feet/yards away from my phone? "Hey, dumbass, you left your phone in the restaurant you're now walking away from" type thing?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

What's the best app for a "find my phone" type thingy for a moto 360? Is there one that also lets me know when I'm more than X feet/yards away from my phone? "Hey, dumbass, you left your phone in the restaurant you're now walking away from" type thing?

I used Wear Aware, it'll make a big old notification and vibrate when it disconnects (presumably from range.) I don't think BT is smart enough to know distance between paired devices.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any recommendations for a smart looking digital watchface? I'm going to a wedding and don't want my watch to look like a nerd gadget but I also dislike analogue faces for actually reading the time quickly because I'm retarded or something, I don't know. (I can read them, it just takes me a second compared to reading a number).

Oh and it's a Moto 360 so round stuff I guess.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

The fact of the matter is some people will inevitably receive poor support and people are much more likely to be vocal about poor support than good support.

Exactly, which is why the almost universal praise I hear for their support here is surprising and interesting.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Tunga posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a smart looking digital watchface? I'm going to a wedding and don't want my watch to look like a nerd gadget but I also dislike analogue faces for actually reading the time quickly because I'm retarded or something, I don't know. (I can read them, it just takes me a second compared to reading a number).

I'd recommend Pujie Black. Highly customizable.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pujie.wristwear.pujieblack

edit: here's a picture of my setup:

Basically the entire face is able to be customized, so you can get rid of the tickmarks if you wish.

BoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 3, 2015

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tunga posted:

I use Watchmaker (and Facer) and FaceRepo. There are a lot of terrible designs on there but a lot of really good ones too.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks both.

BoyBlunder posted:

I'd recommend Pujie Black.
This looks perfect :) .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Takoluka posted:

I use Watchmaker (and Facer) and FaceRepo. There are a lot of terrible designs on there but a lot of really good ones too.

I'm sorry but that flat tire looks terrible. I'm rooting for the 360 but they need to fix that.