Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

vivisecting posted:

I just thought of something really scary.

What if... if it's just an ova? :ohdear:

Anything is better than nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
After Sailor Moon Crystal? I'm happy with my memories.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ConanThe3rd posted:

After Sailor Moon Crystal? I'm happy with my memories.

Oh please, Time hunters allready skull hosed your eyeball with terrible, this could NOT be worse than that.... unless they've not learnt from the mistakes of 02 and Time Hunters. Then we're hosed.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Christ, I had forgotten wholesale that Time Hunters was a loving thing.

That said, I just dealt with one slow motion train crash with Crystal and to a lesser extent Viz's cack handling of the video for the classic series. I do not need to be walking away from that only to get myself into a slow motion car accident with Tri.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 31, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vivisecting posted:

I just thought of something really scary.

What if... if it's just an ova? :ohdear:
it's already been confirmed to be a series.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Tri is going to air on television and thus have sponsors, so its budget is already around 50 times bigger than Crystal.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

Oh please, Time hunters allready skull hosed your eyeball with terrible, this could NOT be worse than that.... unless they've not learnt from the mistakes of 02 and Time Hunters. Then we're hosed.

Right!? I'm not even sure HOW they hosed up Hunters that badly in the first place. On paper it's the best drat Digimon series ever and the second season of XW was actually pretty decent so I know they had at least SOME talent to draw from. They should have have had no problem making something at least mildly watchable but instead we got a boring trainwreck aimed at five year olds.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
lol if you watched a digimon past the third series

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

forbidden lesbian posted:

I

Really wish I could argue with this.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I retain a soft spot for Frontier, despite acknowledging that it's way worse than Adventure or Tamers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm sorry for everyone who didn't watch Savers. It is really, really good.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

readingatwork posted:

Right!? I'm not even sure HOW they hosed up Hunters that badly in the first place. On paper it's the best drat Digimon series ever and the second season of XW was actually pretty decent so I know they had at least SOME talent to draw from. They should have have had no problem making something at least mildly watchable but instead we got a boring trainwreck aimed at five year olds.

I think they didn't really want to do Young Hunters. To do mildly baseless rumormongering based on third-hand information I've heard that the people behind the show had no plans for Young Hunters until they were suddenly given another 26 episodes and told do a third arc that was a crossover. I cannot watch the crossover elements without concluding they were put together by people who had not actually seen any of the previous seasons they were crossing over with. And I still enjoyed it more than any of the rest of Xros Wars so go figure.

Frontier botched the landing but was still enjoyable. Savers was legit good in my book.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Livingtrope if you watch Savers (subbed, not the dub,) I'll watch Lain in exchange.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't know which series that is but the third one was so good and then the next series started and everyone was just annoying and I never watched another digimon again.

And now it's like 10 years later.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

Livingtrope if you watch Savers (subbed, not the dub,) I'll watch Lain in exchange.

I would hella agree to this but I know you have a lot of stuff you're "watching" and will never get around to it and that will break my heart

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I don't know which series that is but the third one was so good and then the next series started and everyone was just annoying and I never watched another digimon again.

Savers is the one with the main guy punching Digimon with his punk Agumon.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Saver also have the best Leomon in the whole series.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nyaa posted:

Saver also have the best Leomon in the whole series.

BanchoLeomon was one of the best characters. Hands down. Also, everyone's digimon reached the same level by the end.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I would hella agree to this but I know you have a lot of stuff you're "watching" and will never get around to it and that will break my heart

i'll watch it after the eva movies

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

What's Konaka been up to these days?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Level Slide posted:

What's Konaka been up to these days?

These days? Pretty much nothing. The last thing he did according to IMDB was in 2007, and the last big thing he did was a few episodes of Eureka Seven in 2005.

I think he might have become a full time novelist, but I dunno. Though sad to say it looks like his career in the anime industry is all but over.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To be fair, if you helm a Astro Boy series and don't make a fuckup of it (Sony certainly did but that's not his fault) you can pretty much retire at will.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Savers is the G Gundam to Tamers' Evangelion. Also the main character is a delinquent with seemingly superhuman strength who punches bad digimon to make his agumon evolve.

the plot is by the same person who made the setting/plot for G Gundam apparently.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Punching digimon to power up your digimon so it can digivolve is a good concept.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The original idea for Savers is still awesome and I'm sad it didn't happen. with Digimon-Human gangs and Thoma being an FBI agent and Masaru just out to beat everyone up to be the best and Yoshino being the head of an all-girl-gang

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Wait, so it was originally going to be a japanese style school gang anime with digimon? That's pretty weird and pretty radical.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That explains the 'aniki' thing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Covok posted:

Wait, so it was originally going to be a japanese style school gang anime with digimon? That's pretty weird and pretty radical.

yeah basically rival gangs all fighting over turf with Masaru just running around and beating everyone up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Savers is the G Gundam to Tamers' Evangelion. Also the main character is a delinquent with seemingly superhuman strength who punches bad digimon to make his agumon evolve.

the plot is by the same person who made the setting/plot for G Gundam apparently.

Ryota Yamaguchi.

Dood's rap sheet is pretty impressive.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Onmi posted:

yeah basically rival gangs all fighting over turf with Masaru just running around and beating everyone up.

That would... actually be a really interesting concept. I've always been a sucker for settings where digimon are in some degree already known and the resulting pseudo-politics that crop up around that. Here's hoping that they might revisit such a notion some day.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

That would... actually be a really interesting concept. I've always been a sucker for settings where digimon are in some degree already known and the resulting pseudo-politics that crop up around that. Here's hoping that they might revisit such a notion some day.

This is the exact quote

quote:

*1 The counter plot I submitted to beat the first presented proposal, was about Banchou(s) all over Japan, who have Partner Digimon, and the hero accomplishing nationwide conquest through fights with Digimon (of course, this was rejected immediately). If circumstances permitted, Yoshino, the Kansai, nun-chuck wielding, female gang leader, and Touma, the American lonewolf who crushed New York's Mafia all by himself, would have possibly appeared.

http://digistarlight.net/index.php?id=s5/saverstranslation

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

i'll watch it after the eva movies

i look forward to watching savers in 2045

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Savers is the G Gundam to Tamers' Evangelion.

A)I've never seen G Gundam
B)please do not insult my man Chiaki Konaka by comparing his stuff to Evangelion, even if it is apt
C)I mean i can see Rika being comparable to Asuka pretty well but I'd have a hard time finding either Henry or Takato as Shinji

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Tamers I think is canonically stated by the creator to be his NGE done right. Rei is Henry.

Amusingly with all this talk of NGE, the creator of NGE has taken the reigns of the new Godzilla movie.

It all comes back to Godzilla in the end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burkion posted:

Tamers I think is canonically stated by the creator to be his NGE done right. Rei is Henry.

Amusingly with all this talk of NGE, the creator of NGE has taken the reigns of the new Godzilla movie.

It all comes back to Godzilla in the end.

So you're saying it all comes tumbling down? :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A)I've never seen G Gundam

You may want to correct this

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Burkion posted:

Lol really, oh well.

Oxxidation posted:

You may want to correct this

I've never really been a fan of Gundam, even as a kid I was eh on it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I've never really been a fan of Gundam, even as a kid I was eh on it

G Gundam is not like any other Gundam show. It's about a dystopian future where the rich live on space colonies tricked out as the most ridiculous displays of their nation's cultural identity and every ten years dudes in giant robots beat the poo poo out of each other on Earth to determine what country is in charge for the next ten years. There is a boxing ring around the Earth. America's Gundam is a football player/surfer/boxer with big rear end magnum revolver style laser guuns. Holland's is a windmill. G Gundam is the light and it si the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So you're saying it all comes tumbling down? :v:

Oh wow.

Takato as Shinji

Takato's got more of a backbone and actually does stuff, but I can see the comparison.