Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
We've called it kindling up to this point, but we might need to shift to "transfusion".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I'd Mention Jim Sterling's podcast for the OP if it weren't for the fact that Laura Kate is painfully unfunny for someone who tries so hard to make people laugh. Also she monopolises a good three quarters of airtime on every episode. Jim and Gavin Dunne are pretty great though, when they can get a word in.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

We've called it kindling up to this point, but we might need to shift to "transfusion".

Surprised that you guys never touched on Shadow Tower Abyss. I played through it last weekend and that game is way more Souls than King's Field.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Surprised that you guys never touched on Shadow Tower Abyss. I played through it last weekend and that game is way more Souls than King's Field.

It's on my/our radar, for sure. We've come close to covering it a couple of times.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know if you've played it before, but It's a super interesting game. You can really feel the shift from King's Field to Souls is creeping in in a big way. It still has a few annoyances like the respawning enemies, but the atmosphere is outstanding and it has dual analogue controls so it plays pretty smoothly compared to King's Field. Also if you ever wanted an assault rifle or a grenade launcher in a Souls game well here you go.

And for your purposes it's a pretty short game. I finished it in 10 hours and I took my time with it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The thing with Shadow Tower vs King's Field is we always thought we'd probably do both but King's Field is the stated predecessor so it was an easier choice. I haven't played Shadow Tower but I didn't hear about its more striking similarities until we had already done KF4.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I just posted the Bloodborne First Impressions episode of Bonfireside Chat. This is a good one to listen to if you're curious about Bloodborne, but don't want any spoilers.

http://duckfeed.tv/bonfiresidechat/61

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

I just posted the Bloodborne First Impressions episode of Bonfireside Chat. This is a good one to listen to if you're curious about Bloodborne, but don't want any spoilers.

So excited for this. I have a toddler so I can only really play a couple hours a week, so I should be on pace for the release schedule of BFSC.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Yay! Very excited about this season. I have no idea what the overarching story for this game is yet, despite playing obsessively for like a week.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I'm rather surprised you didn't consider those dudes in wheelchairs with gatling guns steampunk.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm rather surprised you didn't consider those dudes in wheelchairs with gatling guns steampunk.

It's crank-operated, though? Like I don't think there's anything using steam power in Bloodborne.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Hakkesshu posted:

It's crank-operated, though? Like I don't think there's anything using steam power in Bloodborne.

I really appreciated this. I was a bit worried (like Kole) when I saw the horrible goggle things in the character creator, but nothing I've seen in the game is like that at all. Thankfully.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think Kole needs to have a long discussion with David on The Level about whether or not there's steam punk in Bloodborne. If anybody can get to the bottom of this he can.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The only way to get anywhere with David on the topic of steampunk is by bullying him.

I'm sitting down to record this week's episode right now. Let's see how it goes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Retronauts- count me as another guy who loves Super Mario World but only remembers that when people are talking about it. I think that was my first console game (or at least I remember having that, Aladdin, and Magical Quest when I first got my system) and I think I even remember my mom trying to play it once or twice :allears:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 1, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hakkesshu posted:

Well the steampunk aesthetic generally includes most complex unwieldy technologies Victorian people generally wouldn't have.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Gatling guns existed during the Victorian era and they're hand operated both in the game and in real life. The only unwieldy part is the size.

edit: by that metric, every weapon in the game is steampunk, because they're all unrealistic.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 1, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kurtofan posted:

Gatling guns existed during the Victorian era and they're hand operated both in the game and in real life. The only unwieldy part is the size.

edit: by that metric, every weapon in the game is steampunk, because they're all unrealistic.

Your posting is steampunk. :gerty:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well the steampunk aesthetic generally includes most complex unwieldy technologies Victorian people generally wouldn't have.

Sure but a core component of steampunk is arguably.... steam, more specifically a focus on tech. Bloodborne doesn't even have much mechanical stuff in it, there are no gears or gauges or anything like that, and stuff like the stake driver is very basic. It's more like Victorian gothic than anything. Unless you'd call something like Frankenstein steampunk as well.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 1, 2015

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Sure but a core component of steampunk is arguably.... steam, more specifically a focus on tech. Bloodborne doesn't even have much mechanical stuff in it, there are no gears or gauges or anything like that, and stuff like the stake driver is very basic. It's more like Victorian gothic than anything. Unless you'd call something like Frankenstein steampunk as well.

Well, Frankenstein didn't have a cane what turns into a whip...unless I'm remembering wrong.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Obviously also a lot of fantasy stuff in there. And you know Lovecraftian cosmic horror. And classic movie monsters.

Point is, Bloodborne is a lot of things, but steampunk it is very much not, even disregarding the dumb fashion trend and looking at stuff like Arcanum or The Difference Engine.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tir McDohl posted:

Well, Frankenstein didn't have a cane what turns into a whip...unless I'm remembering wrong.

You clearly did not end up watching canon-sequel-to-the-novel I, Frankenstein, then.

(yes, it tries to portray itself as this, and yes, it is as stupid as you imagine)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

If Bloodborne is any sort of punk, it's much more of a gaslight punk like Gotham by Gaslight or Cthulhu by Gaslight. In fact, it's so Cthulhu by Gaslight it sort of blows my mind.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Since I'm not buying a PS4 in the conceivable future, I'm pretty excited to experience Bloodborne through you guys.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I just posted the Commander Keen episode of Watch Out for Fireballs!

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/97

Up next is Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, followed by Amnesia: The Dark Descent. We're staying mum on what we're covering for episode 100, at least until we can find a cool way to announce it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The problem with steampunk is that it's impossible to be punk by adopting the aesthetics and cultural background of a classist, sexist, colonial and white supremacist society. The aesthetic can work on its own by its own merits, but trying to be subversive with it is absolutely incoherent. You can either go "the victorians were so cooooooollll" or "the victorians were genocidal monsters", but doing both at the same time just completely fails tonally. Nerds don't understand history, politics, or culture, go figure

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 2, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

icantfindaname posted:

The problem with steampunk is that it's impossible to be punk by adopting the aesthetics and cultural background of a classist, sexist, colonial and white supremacist society. The aesthetic can work on its own by its own merits, but trying to be subversive with it is absolutely incoherent. You can either go "the victorians were so cooooooollll" or "the victorians were genocidal monsters", but doing both at the same time just completely fails tonally. Nerds don't understand history, politics, or culture, go figure

Well you can just do the latter and have Victorians using steam technology to oppress the poor and the various colonized nations. I mean it might still look cool to people, but that doesn't mean much. The Nazis had sharp outfits but they're not the good guys in any story worth telling.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I too, would love a game where a bunch of dapper steampunk neckbeards are the bad guys, and the rag wearing, filth covered proletariat are protagonists in the fight to overthrow the oppressive regime.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Because steampunk is loving all about being historically and politically accurate

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

I just posted the Commander Keen episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! Up next is Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon

I am basically going to be deluging you with feedback on these two, and I apologize.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I just posted the Commander Keen episode of Watch Out for Fireballs!

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/97

Up next is Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, followed by Amnesia: The Dark Descent. We're staying mum on what we're covering for episode 100, at least until we can find a cool way to announce it.

Banjo-Kazooie

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Because steampunk is loving all about being historically and politically accurate

The Bioshock games are all about insipid attempts at political and social commentary, yes?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Super Mario World retronauts was awesome. I've always tried and failed to articulate why the world in that game felt the biggest and most well put together of any Mario game but you guys pretty much nailed it.

I was sort of "meh" about Mario Maker for Wii U until yesterday's Nintendo Direct. The fact they are including Super Mario World assets means some talented / crazy people out there will craft a nearly infinite number of sweet SMW levels.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Has Nintendo talked about gameplay differences between the different Mario sets in Mario Maker? If I use SMW assets and it plays the same as if I use SM1 assets or NSMB or whatever that just aint right.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Timett posted:

Has Nintendo talked about gameplay differences between the different Mario sets in Mario Maker? If I use SMW assets and it plays the same as if I use SM1 assets or NSMB or whatever that just aint right.

Last year at E3, Tezuka said he was having trouble reconciling the physics differences between classic and New Mario styles, which suggests the tile set choices will be strictly cosmetic.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Episode 100 can only go two ways. Either Gary and Kole:
a) Finally play Banjo-Kazooie, love it, and realise that the item collecting works really well and encourage exploration of fantastically designed levels
b) Finally gently caress, on a bed scattered with copies of House of Leaves

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bug Squash posted:

a) Finally play Banjo-Kazooie, love it, and realise that the item collecting works really well and encourage exploration of fantastically designed levels

I would find option B less offensive.

My guess is Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel, with Chris Avellone.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Twitch posted:

I would find option B less offensive.

My guess is Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel, with Chris Avellone.

But it's not episode 100 of Abject Suffering?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Episode 100 is actually going to be a rerun of episode 1, because podcasts are like the cycle of Samsara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bug Squash posted:

It's not gay if you've done a hundred episodes of a retro video games podcast with the guy.

• Locked thread