Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
There's also Kanbei's armor in the Japanese version of AW1. Not that that's any more practical than what Sami's wearing really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Keiya posted:

I can only assume that all the CO portraits are glamor shots. That would explain why they always have the exact same ridiculous pose, I guess?

(Also your name reminded me I never did get a good look at Shroomie)
Now I just love the idea that

is Andy's idea of a glamour shot.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

You're just jealous that you can't pull off that look.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Paul.Power posted:

"What's a glamour shot?"

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

"BOTES!"

Definitely a glamour shot.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
For those who are wondering, the game previously commentated on in this thread has finally come to an end. I'm looking forward to Paul's interpretation of the series of events which occurred, because even as a participant, I remain confused.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I've spent the last week catching up on this entire thread and just wanted to thank you Paul for such an entertaining LP. Even w/o video watching capability for the AC updates, your summaries were still perfect and got the action across (as was the AWBW game summary). I feel I only missed out on 30 minutes of puns, and I'm crazy enough to genuinely enjoy puns so what do I know.

My opinion is kindof useless given I got to read everything sans gap, but the quality of your posts feels like they woulda been worth the waits and gaps, no question. But, again, I got to skip almost all waits and just have to be patient for the AC Rivals Pain Train to pull into station. :dealwithit:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Let's Commentate Advance Wars By Web (or "whoops") - Part 3

Sorrry about the delay, it's been a busy few weeks. Let's see what we can -

... whoops.

So yeah, AWBW deletes its replays and logs a while after a game's been completed, and turns out that just as I was about to have some free time, the server decided that it was time to delete them for this game. As a result, I can't give full commentary on this. But we have a few bits of info to go on. First of all, how did it end?

This is Day 53 - and at this point, having been forced back with a 23 to 17 property deficit, Roonespism resigns. Hmm. How did we get there from

here? This is going to take some major reconstruction work... but I do I vaguely remember some bits of all this.

It's no real surprise, but Kenny is the first to go. Roonespism shuts down and captures his bridge cities, western bases and airport, leaving him with pretty much 3000G a turn. At some point, Kenny accidentally suicides his last unit and is routed. One side-effect of this is that Roone can't set up an HQ capture, so has to manually capture the remaining cities. This doesn't come up in single-player Campaign, but in a game with more than two players, defeating a player with an HQ capture is better than a Rout - with an HQ Capture win, you automatically gain all the properties that were controlled by the vanquished player.

In many ways, Slur provides as much opposition as Kenny does when it comes to Roonespism's conflicts in the south-east. But Slur's own grinding advance against kooky is a pretty slow process. With Kenny all but subdued, Roone can send forces in to attack kooky as well, to try and steal a march on Slur. It works pretty well, and eventually kooky finds himself in as bad a position as Kenny was.

Roonespism also manages to grab all four central cities, and at this point controls over half the properties on the board. So where did it all go wrong?

Firstly we have a very well-timed Black Wave from Slur that prevents Roonespism from capturing kooky's HQ, as well as slowing down his attempts to take the neutral cities left behind after kooky is routed. In fact, Slur manages to muscle Roone out in the north-west and gain a hold of the territory up there...

... and you eventually end up something a bit like this. With the assaults on Kenny and kooky, Roonespism had to spread himself pretty thin, which meant that his control of the centre cities was mostly left up to infantry. If you've got good infantry, then that's fine. Jess does not have good infantry. Slur's able to wrestle control of the north-west while gradually taking the centre, giving him parity...

... and eventually, dominance, leading to the resignation we started out with.

There's a few things to consider: was this Roonespism's game to lose, and did he mess up? Maybe. If nothing else, he ultimately had to deal with the fact that he was using Jess, who just isn't a very good CO in AWBW. Imagine Rain of Fire with a human-controlled Hawke (and, well, no volcano I guess. Also air units) and you have an idea of the problems Roonespism faced. When it comes to day-to-day power, Jess' best units are the same power as all of Hawke's units, and she has a key problem with that most vital of units: infantry. With Roone forced to split his resources to a lot of different fronts, infantry became even more important, and ceding those central cities to Slur meant Roone lost his funding advantage. Speaking of funding, Black Wave came through at just the right moment for Slur to slow Roonespism's capturing of kooky's stuff, letting him roll in instead.

Sorry I lost the opportunity to actually commentate fully on this stuff, guys, but if I want to be brutally honest? It may have been a blessing in disguise. 53 days, this game lasted for, and that's pretty indicative of how multiplayer Advance Wars can turn out when you're dealing with actual people who are considerably cleverer and more stubborn than the AI. I could have been looking at four or five parts to the commentary (and probably have reached for Douglas Adams' description of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy of "a trilogy in five parts"). I certainly don't think I'd've had the time or energy to commentate the rest of the battle with as much depth as I did part 2 :smith:. Still, hopefully this sketch is enough to give you an idea of how things turned out.

Anyway, moving on. I need to poke Sockerbagarn about Battle Mystery! AC as Sami. Haven't had much time to think about the LP for a while, but let's get this thing back on the rails. I've had a bit of a reminder about the mortality of Internet thingies here, after all...

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 14, 2014

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I might as well fill in some of the lost blanks of how this game ended, from my biased perspective so that some clarity (or lack thereof) is added to the commentary given above. In summation:

-As mentioned above, Kenny was backed into a corner and suicided an infantry around day 30 or so. Roone spent a lot of his time making sure that I would not make my way into the bottom right corner, ignoring the time to finish off Kenny and take his bases. From there, Kenny made a few attempts to come back from his terrible situation by building some mechs and doing some very heavy damage to Roone's MD Tank which he built around day 25 or so, as well as try to recapture some northern properties. As soon as Roone's attention shifted to Kenny, things went south for him, and thus Kenny was the first one out.

-I kept pushing my tanks into Kooky's wall of artillery and infantry, knowing that I had more properties than he did, hoping that I could break through and take the northwest corner. Roone eventually sent his units west-bound and started to take control, knocking my offensive away as well as the rest of Kooky's wall. Roone then proceeded to capture a factory and an airport near Kooky's base, and I was forced to retreat. Around day 35-38 or so, I was in a position to lose.

-From there, being halted on both my northwest and southeast offensive, I decided to march northeast in order to take back the central properties. Since Roone was occupied with claiming Kenny and Kooky's properties, I was able to regain some ground in the center. I then took some troops and mobilized northwest again with those, taking out Roone's units which were slowly building in the northwest corner. As mentioned in Paul's commentary, I dropped a Black Wave one turn before Roone was able to HQ capture Kooky, giving me much-needed time to clean up the northwest corner, which was divided between Kooky's final units and Roone's infantry.

-Roone's mistakes began when he tried to stop me by building infantry in the northwest corner, instead of building more durable units to protect his factories. This led to my anti-air and tanks finishing off his units and blocking off his factories long enough to gain equal footing with him.

-From there, it was a slow march eastbound, with Roone's CO choice finally coming back to bite him; trading infantry became a non-issue due to the attack bonuses granted by Hawke and Jess respectively. Towards the finale, Roone decides to stop my advance of tanks and b-copters with a bomber, which ends up getting a heavy hit from my anti-air. At that point, I was at such an advantage that building another powerful unit to stop me would be impossible, and so Roone's last move is to destroy a stray APC I had lying around (in true Advance Wars 1 AI fashion), retreat his bomber, build a missile, and resign.

Oh, and Paul?

Paul.Power posted:

I've had a bit of a reminder about the mortality of Internet thingies here, after all...

I warned you.

Slur fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 14, 2014

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Paul, I don't want to tell you how to do your "job" (inasmuch as an LP is a job) and I understand if you are burned out, but any chance that you could put a bow on this? It's so close to the end and I'd like to see how the bonus mission plays out, and I'd really like to see this thread after so much time invested end up in the archive alongside your brilliant AW2 LP as well as Alkydere & Company's Dual Strike LP and Seraphroy's LP of Days of Ruin. It would be very illuminating to read each one in release order to see how the games, units and tactics have evolved.

The fact that a hex-based installment of the game hasn't come out in recent years is rather saddening.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Paul doesn't have the save for the final mission yet, I've got a few more to play through and show off before he can tackle it. The S-train should be back on track within the week though so just hang on.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Advance Campaign Mission S7: Battle Mystery! AC as Sami (or "You get an S-rank! And you get an S-rank! And you... did what?!")

Youtube
(11m53s)

Welcome back. Battle Mystery! AC for Sami is one of those missions, much like Max's Folly? AC or Andy's Naval Clash! AC, that has a "survive for X days" condition attached to it. This means that, as long as you do survive, it's an instant S-Rank. So Sockerbagarn could have just phoned this one in, collected his S-Rank, and been on his merry way. But that's not our Socker. He has something... special planned.

"If you were wondering, the battle mystery is why they think these kind of maps fit in the advance campaign. Your mission is to defend an infantry unit for eight days which is easily accomplished by flying it over to your island. There's like one way to lose this map and that is if you willingly put your T Copter in range of something that kills it. As long as you avoid that you'll win easily. Here's an example that should make it abundantly clear how easy it is to win this map: A valid strategy is to put your T Copter inside a cruiser! I don't trust any map that lets you get away with that :colbert:.

"Instead of doing what you're intended to do I decided to spice things up a bit by defeating Drake before the eight days were up. The secret is to neuter Drake's cruisers quickly enough that your T Copter can skip across the water to his HQ area unopposed, then you deploy your CO power to reach the HQ from the forest."

But... but I like putting T copters in cruisers :(. Okay, yes, I don't do it very much, if at all. I still like that it's a silly little feature in the games.

Either way, good on Socker for finding a way to take a mission that's a mandatory S-Rank and still spice it up :). Next time, let's see if he can squeeze an S-Rank out of the mission I C-Ranked myself last time - Andy Times Two! AC. I mean, yes, technically he could just do it off-screen. But I don't think he can pass up an opportunity to show off how Andy Times Two is supposed to be done.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 14, 2014

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I'm guessing the cruisers aren't afraid of the battleships because they can (barely) attack against it, whereas there's nothing they can do against rockets.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

MR. J posted:

I'm guessing the cruisers aren't afraid of the battleships because they can (barely) attack against it, whereas there's nothing they can do against rockets.

Cruisers couldn't attack other surface ships until dual strike if I recall right.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Yeah, they couldn't attack until Dual Strike. Still a bit of a waste of their primarily anti-Sub missiles, but if you only need a bit of chip damage, it'll do the job.

Excellent S-Rank there, never realized Sami could've super-cheesed it; but hey, that's what she can do, even in the first AW.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Ozdhaka posted:

Yeah, they couldn't attack until Dual Strike. Still a bit of a waste of their primarily anti-Sub missiles, but if you only need a bit of chip damage, it'll do the job.

Excellent S-Rank there, never realized Sami could've super-cheesed it; but hey, that's what she can do, even in the first AW.

While I can't say for sure I wouldn't be surprised if they set the AI to be quite a bit more aggressive with it's Cruisers when it comes to this map. If you could easily deflect the cruisers by just moving up your Battleship the level would somehow be even easier.

Good to know that the little bit of extra thought I put into the solution was appreciated! I'll hopefully have the next map ready soon, I'm currently plagued by an annoying cough that makes commentary impossible.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's amazing that in a total predeploy on Advance Campaign when you don't even need to win... that you actually can. Is Sami's capture bonus too good?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Glazius posted:

It's amazing that in a total predeploy on Advance Campaign when you don't even need to win... that you actually can. Is Sami's capture bonus too good?
Depends really, when you consider Max's flat-out absurd 150% attack bonus to most of the game's units. It makes a huge difference when, say, trying to take on Drake or Eagle's defence bonuses head-on.

Sami certainly has a high "skill ceiling", though, and she can solve problems that no other CO can. I guess in the first game, where you're only really using the same three COs most of the time, it makes sense that they're pretty powerful (even Andy can point to his adaptability and ability to grind foes down with attrition).

It's interesting that Sami objectively gets stronger in AW2, gaining an extra 10% attack on her footsoldiers and of course Victory March, but she fades into the background a bit compared with some of the terrifyingly broken new COs (Hachi, Colin, Sensei) or retooled old ones (Sturm, Kanbei, Grit). Might be a reflection that many of these new/retooled COs are now player characters.

Incidentally, Socker now has Andy Times Two! AC (Not A C-Rank Edition) recorded, but I'm working the next few days so it might be a while before I can commentate. Still, just to let you know that the wheels are still turning on this thing.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Advance Campaign Mission S8: Andy Times Two! AC (or "How to fail the Turing test. Times two.")

Youtube
(11m35s)

Technically, Socker didn't have to show this one off. You've already seen me play it. Of course, you've also already seen me C-Rank it. And Socker can hardly abide that...

"Another map with a narrow time limit if you've got a craving for S-ranks. You have only got six days before the HQ must be captured and it will take at least three before your lander reaches the opposite shore. It is also further complicated by your AI "teammate" who makes the actions of your real opponent quite unpredictable. To secure the shore you will want to take care of Andy's two battleships that are staying put on defensive, his rocket will usually stay busy shooting your empty lander so you can hold off on engaging it. If you've got luck on your side you will be able to block off the bridge with your medium tank and trap Andy's entire force on the wrong side of the map. After you've made landfall your infantry will have to travel at least four tiles to get to the HQ, thus you will normally be able to start capturing the HQ on the fifth day and finish on the sixth. The only way to get the flawless 5 day speed limit is to pick Sami and fire off Double Time on day four. Instead I elected to go with Andy because hey, Andy Times Two.

"Since Paul so expertly plucked the low hanging fruit and S-ranked Enigma I'll be skipping ahead and next up will be The Final Battle! And we all know what comes after that."

I can't win with Enigma, if I hadn't S-Ranked it, everyone would have been annoyed because of that :v:. So yeah, we're skipping over that and next time Socker will be taking on Final Battle AC with the ol' Golden Ending team of Andy, Max and Eagle. Hopefully they'll be enough to give him the S-Rank he craves.

And yes, I know all too well what comes after that. The clock is ticking...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

This update made me consider the fact that you never get to fight Max or Sami in the campaign. I wonder how many maps could be made more difficult by handing the ai AW1 Max.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I think the answer to that is 'all of them'?

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

This update made me consider the fact that you never get to fight Max or Sami in the campaign. I wonder how many maps could be made more difficult by handing the ai AW1 Max.

There wouldn't be any reason to give the AI control of Sami unless it was a gimmick map, in straight combat she's underpowered.

AI Max would be postgame level difficulty.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord that was a ridiculous HQ snipe, with the enemy fighter-plane blocker and all. that actually worked out pretty well.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Wow. That level of stupidity from the AI both hindered and helped you at the same time.

I'm genuinely impressed by just how special that behavior was.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Most missions where you fight Grit would probably be made easier by replacing him with Max at least, simply because the army compositions would be all wrong.

Progress report! Socker has worked his way through Enigma and The Final Battle (complete with obligatory S-Ranks) and has handed the Rivals-ready save over to me. I've got a busy few weeks ahead, so goodness knows how long it'll take for me to bash my head through Rivals! AC, but just to let you know that the train's still rolling, and the terminus is nearly in sight.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Oh hey, this LP is 3 years old.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Advance Campaign Mission 18: Rivals! AC (or "There is always more, and it is always worse")

All right. Finally. Let's get this thing wrapped up and put to bed. Joining me are...

... haha, yeah, you've noticed there isn't a link to a video. And realised what day of the year it is. In reality, I've tried the mission four times so far and made pretty much zero headway. But you know what? Just because it's April Fool's Day, doesn't mean I can't provide some actual content, too. Since this mission is so legendarily hard, I thought I'd do a bit of analysis of why it's so hard, what makes it stand out from the competition. Put together with a selection of screenshots from the aforementioned four attempts, here are some thoughts on this mission.

Let's start with the obvious problem: fog. Fog of War against the AI is a pain at the best of times - you can't see them, but they can see you - and the high speed air units make it much, much worse, with the AI's ability to swoop in unerringly from far outside your vision range. Also note: no forests on this map. We've got nowhere to hide, and nowhere really to run to either.

Now let's strip away the fog and see what's under the h- oh jeez. Andy, I know it's not your fault this time, but you couldn't possibly be more wrong about there not being many units.

First up, Eagle has three B copters arriving in our base on his Day 2, meaning we have to be ready to deal with them on our Day 3. AAs are the obvious solution, but then on Eagle's Day 3, light tanks and AA sweep in from the flanks. This combined arms policy is pretty difficult to deal with - naturally I want to build AAs to take out the B Copters and the looming threat of the bombers behind them, but Eagle's light tanks will cheerfully pounce on the corresponding lack of anti-tank weaponry. And if I did tanks or artillery? Well that just plays into the hands of the copters and bombers.

And then as we're struggling to deal with this problem, it turns out that it was just the starter: the main course shows up on Eagle's Day 4, when the bombers arrive. And the medium tanks reach the bridges to our central island on Day 5. If we're lucky - an early Lightning Strike will hurry those middies up to the front that much faster. Incidentally, Eagle's fighters won't move until we build air units - with nothing to attack, they'll sit around eating crisps all day. Everything else is coming straight for us, though.

Is there any way to mitigate all of this nonsense? A little bit. For instance, it's pretty easy to block up the northern flank using your starting mechs and the good ol' AI's serious chokepoint problems when it comes to strong units being blocked off by weaker ones.

There are plenty of problems with this, of course. Eventually, Eagle builds rockets and their slow whirrr up the field just lets you know that the failure of this chokepoint is ultimately inevitable. A bigger problem still is the fact that if Eagle's bombers even get a sniff of this chokepoint's existence, it's finished.

But the biggest problem of all is that it's ultimately rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic. Your centre and south get pounded so hard that while a northern blockade slows the bleeding, it can't stop it. Still, being able to hold off Eagle's forces even slightly is something. It just highlights a few lessons - firstly, you can't hope to win this one by rout. Not only are Eagle's predeployed troops ridiculous, but he also has that 19k vs. 11k production advantage. Yes, he has that in NC too, but in NC he doesn't have a giant predeployed force preventing you from early expansion. It's the combo that's lethal (Sturm got that combo in TFB as well, but at least between your three COs you have both comparable production and comparable predeployed forces).

What else is there? Well, getting a missile launcher out on Day 3 isn't the worst idea - if you can whack one of Eagle's bombers before it arrives, then you've made his assault a little less harrowing. Of course, that only works if the bombers are dim enough to try flying into range - which, like a lot of stuff when it comes to planes, is down to the RNG. Also note that 90% - Eagle's defence is, like always, a pain to deal with.

See, at least when Sturm sends a crapton of stuff at you in The Final Battle, he has the decency to be easy to smash up in return. But you just can't keep Eagle's bombers down, especially when your AAs start taking damage from counterfire. And Eagle will cheerfully retreat anything crippled down to 1 or 2HP or less, so he can heal it up and add it to the inevitable second wave of bombers that shows up while you're still tearing your hair out trying to deal with medium tanks. And that's the thing: he just keeps on producing. While you're fighting one fire, he's starting two more. There is always more, and it is always worse.

What about ? Sadly, it doesn't really work. I mean, they'll tank as bravely as anything, but bravery just isn't enough. Even damaged Eagle bombers can finish them off in a turn if they mob together - and with resources this tight, 5000G for a unit that can't put out damage and still gets destroyed in a turn ultimately isn't worth it.

So what else is there to talk about? How about strategy guides? Well, I've had a quick go with this one - my second attempt used it, but between the RNG deciding to not play along and me just making silly mistakes, it fell through. I should give it another go, maybe make save states or something.

Trouble is, I wouldn't enjoy that. In fact, I'm extremely close to not enjoying this mission at all - it's a hell of a torture chamber, especially after the long slog that the rest of AC has been. This April Fool's joke was very, very nearly a letter of resignation. Hell, this thing's long overdue for the LP Archive already.

But hey, once more unto the breach, dear friends. I'll give this a couple more tries, at least. If I can't do it, maybe Socker can (Incidentally, Final Battle Part 1 is ready for recording, though it'll be a while before I'm available to record with him). And if he can't... well, we'll see.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Paul.Power posted:

Advance Campaign Mission 18: Rivals! AC (or "There is always more, and it is always worse")

Jesus loving christ how the hell are you you supposed to do this one? :stonk:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Nobody would blame you if you stopped here. Like seriously, you did a good job with this LP.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

There are easy missions, there are hard missions and there is AC Rivals. Nothing tops this level of PAIN thrown at you in the rest of the series. I have no clue how the hell my uncle beat this map years ago.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Wow, from the way you were talking about it I thought that AC Rivals would be an unfair map, but I had no idea it would be that hellish. :stonklol:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
To quote Father Todd Unctious from Father Ted: "Ahh, that's completely unfair!"

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Nobody would blame you if you stopped here. Like seriously, you did a good job with this LP.
As I say, I was all but ready to give up, but I just decided that that would be too depressing a message for April Fool's Day.

In fact, on my latest attempt, I've even made progress - I've managed to infantry spam my way to a position where Eagle can't really force me to lose. I've dropped a save there for now - next challenge is to somehow get from here to a win.

It might just take 99 days :v:. But the good news about this turning into a grindfest is that AW grindfests are my speciality :getin:

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 1, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

As I say, I was all but ready to give up, but I just decided that that would be too depressing a message for April Fool's Day.

In fact, on my latest attempt, I've even made progress - I've managed to infantry spam my way to a position where Eagle can't really force me to lose. I've dropped a save there for now - next challenge is to somehow get from here to a win.

It might just take 99 days :v:. But the good news about this turning into a grindfest is that AW grindfests are my speciality :getin:

but you didn't do the DoR lp?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
(DoR is the AW game specializing in grindfests :ssh:)

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 1, 2015

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

FoolyCharged posted:

but you didn't do the DoR lp?

No, that was Sepharoy, I believe.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

EAT poo poo, EAGLE

Amazingly, 43 days was an A-Rank.

Welp, now all I have to do is edit two hours and twenty minutes of raw footage into something watchable and readable :v:.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Oh man you almost got me for a second there Paul, but giving yourself an A-rank was just too much.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
CHRIST. There's a reason the game I played back-to-front, even level-grinding in (yeah) was Dual Strike and not this abomination. This LP inspired me to replay 1, and NC is fun! Especially as a rusty Advance Wars veteran!

But this.... THIS....

No matter how this ends up, Paul.power, your LP has provided tons of entertainment and you've already gone above and beyond. If we get nothing else but a post tomorrow saying "fuk this" it'll be worthy of its 5-star forever.

edit: aaaaaaaaaaand you just beat it HOLY poo poo. Congratulations!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, this was the one time in Advance Campaign where I felt fully justified in using the Design Maps glitch to just delete Eagle from existence. gently caress Rivals AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Paul.Power posted:

EAT poo poo, EAGLE

Amazingly, 43 days was an A-Rank.

:golfclap:

• Locked thread