Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfJsViD9SjM

Can y'all imagine a world in which this got made instead of Deep Space 9? It's got Terry Farrell and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Why'd she leave for its last loving season? Becker? If I recall she even left that a season or two in.

Girl has no sense of loyalty.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Can y'all imagine a world in which this got made instead of Deep Space 9? It's got Terry Farrell and everything.

Whoa

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shadow posted:

Why'd she leave for its last loving season? Becker? If I recall she even left that a season or two in.

dunno but i liked ezri dax. Having somebody who clearly wasn't ready to be joined was a good take on things. Not as much of a babe though :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

opus111 posted:

dunno but i liked ezri dax. Having somebody who clearly wasn't ready to be joined was a good take on things. Not as much of a babe though :(

Yeah but they violated their own loving made up rules.

Remember the insanity when Dax's former wife showed up? You can't maintain old relationships like that. So sure. Let's just have her stationed in the same goddamn station as the last trill.

They should have just dropped Dax. Ezri wasn't needed.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

opus111 posted:

mods lock this this thread
Terrible Garak gifs will save this thread

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 31, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shadow posted:

Yeah but they violated their own loving made up rules.

Remember the insanity when Dax's former wife showed up? You can't maintain old relationships like that. So sure. Let's just have her stationed in the same goddamn station as the last trill.

At that point the Dax symbiont was a write off for the Trill. Ezri wasn't ready and wasn't appropriate as a host, she was simply the only Trill nearby. Stick Dax in Ezri now, or Dax dies. Then they get home to Trill and it was too late to remove Dax without killing Ezri. Everyone knows it is a poo poo situation, but they are stuck together until Ezri dies. Ezri Dax was having trouble coping. Eventually the trill decided to just let her do whatever she needs to do to get through the rest of her life.

Who knows, they may be planning to retire the Dax symbiont to the breeding pools after this life anyway. Dax remembers the time it was in a psycho murderer. It remembers the time it was part of a guy who literally cut it out of Jadzia's body to steal it. It remember the time it was part of a guy who was perving on his young student and failed her out of spite. Dax is kind of a gently caress up at this point.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Shadow posted:

She held out for more money and tried to get everybody else to, and no one really did and they let her contract run out.

She did the same thing on becker with the same results.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Universe Master posted:

She held out for more money and tried to get everybody else to, and no one really did and they let her contract run out.

She did the same thing on becker with the same results.
I'm assuming the cast refused to go along because she was annoying and no one wanted to keep working with her.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

probably. i dont think the cast liked deach other on ds9 and much as they did on the other treks.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

opus111 posted:

probably. i dont think the cast liked deach other on ds9 and much as they did on the other treks.

If that's true it's funny because DS9, more than all the others, is the Trek series where the characters are all buddy-buddy with each other, hanging out in their free time, joking around, occasionally loving each other, etc.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

opus111 posted:

AFAIK know the cast generally liked each other but yeah they weren't bros like the TNG cast or the Voyager boy's club. Word is the DS9 set felt way more like a professional businesslike setting. Bashir and Kira did bone and have a kid together, so there's that, so I guess it wasn't all professional.

Fun fact about Star Trek actors boning: B'Elanna and Damar were married together and divorced from each other before either was on Star Trek.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 31, 2015

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

If that's true it's funny because DS9, more than all the others, is the Trek series where the characters are all buddy-buddy with each other, hanging out in their free time, joking around, occasionally loving each other, etc.

yeah, they're all really good actors though and the writing and character development is fully sick, unlike the other treks. just shows what good actors can do i guess.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Shadow posted:

I sort of agree, but at the same time, having the symbiont in a new host had the potential to be really interesting... if it were an actual planned part of the story and didn't happen so close to the end of the series. As it was, it just felt like "oh, we lost an actress, let's fill the role with someone else." It could have been done much better.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

opus111 posted:

No one wanted to be friends with Odo because he'd turn every conversation into a screed about how the Holocaust didn't happen

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i used to like rene auberjonois so much.. a holocaust revisionist of all loving things christ

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Spakstik posted:

No one wanted to be friends with Odo because he'd turn every conversation into a screed about how the Holocaust didn't happen

lol I thought maybe rene auberjonois was a holocaust denier but the only thing google points to is sa?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

i used to like rene auberjonois so much.. a holocaust revisionist of all loving things christ

i cant see anything... maybe you shouldnt take goons at their word?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

hes done an incredible job of mopping up the fact that he is a holocaust revisionist, i guess thats what being a wealthy tv star and lawyering up can do for you

considering the irony of his on-screen portrayal of a collaborator in ds9, more people need to be made aware of this

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

many of the arguments the character of odo makes rationalizing his own role in the genocide of bajor line up almost exactly with claims made by people like david irving. lmao if you think that is somehow a coincidence

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Requesting someone find the drinking Kanar with Damar gifs.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ramc posted:

Requesting someone find the drinking Kanar with Damar gifs.

I literally took the last five words of your post and pasted it in toGIS.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Laugh track, turned off. gently caress me, I forgot how much I hate laugh tracks.

Edit:
Also

What does Damar's wife think of his chronic drinking problem? Also, giving him a wife (and kids?) was a strange decision, I always figured Damar was married to the job.

The General fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 1, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

GrumpyDoctor posted:

On DS9 you can tell whether a Klingon is supposed to be "good" by whether the actor playing him is white

Tony Todd played Worf's brother and he is black. Tony Todd is awesome as well.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The General posted:

Laugh track, turned off. gently caress me, I forgot how much I hate laugh tracks.

But without the laugh track, how would you know they were making jokes?

It's not very good or funny

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The General posted:

What does Damar's wife think of his chronic drinking problem? Also, giving him a wife (and kids?) was a strange decision, I always figured Damar was married to the job.

They're probably why he drinks.

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

Show did more with Ezri in one season than they did with Jadzia in 6.

Should've happened earlier in the show

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Tender Bender posted:

Why the gently caress was data created to be "fully functional".

Like I never watched TNG but I know they meet his inventor or whatever, does anyone ask him "Dude why the gently caress did you do that?" Is he some deviant who spends all day getting reamed by pale cold Brent Spiners?

Lore was created first, and he was identical to a human, but he was evil because humans are special. Then Data was created but was not identical to humans so that means he can't be evil, and for some reason this means he also needed to have a penis.

The whole Data thing is stupid though. The Enterprise's computer made Moriarty just by asking it to make something that could defeat data. Imagine if that information got out on the space Internet.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 1, 2015

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

people who compain about laugh tracks are weird retarded babies. you mean you never go back and watch classic old sit coms? theres yearse of quality writing to enjoy

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

opus111 posted:

people who compain about laugh tracks are weird retarded babies. you mean you never go back and watch classic old sit coms? theres yearse of quality writing to enjoy

All in the Family is legit hilarious

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

opus111 posted:

the IT crowd was the last show with a laugh track that i liked. it can be such a crutch tho for truly terrible tv shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Yaos posted:

In season 1 of TNG, Data had been in Starfleet for 17 years and was 3rd in command of the Enterprise. Despite this, he still acted as though he had never met a person in his entire life and had to be explained even the simplest of things like not sticking your dick in the trash compactor. More importantly, why did Data want to be human so badly? Is it because he kind of looks humans? If he looked like a Vulcan would he consider himself perfect? No, of course, not. Data wants to be human because the writers of TNG are a bunch of racists. The noble white man travels the galaxy, telling the savages the correct way to live, and if they don't listen they are evil. Obviously Data would want to be human, because only somebody evil would not want to be human, and that person is Lore.

Vulcans? Despite having warp well before humans, it turns out they are just a bunch of backwards idiots that don't have emotions and the noble white man has to show them how real science is done. The Vulcan's are not evil, so they join the Federation and let humans do whatever they want.

Every civilization that did not want to join the Federation was evil. Klingons, Romulans, Borg, Ferengi, Cardassians, the Q Continuum, the Maquis, people on Bajor (whom were not necessarily Maquis) that did not want to be instantly snapped up by the Federation once the Cardassian threat was gone, the Breen.

It's pussyfoot attitudes like this that allowed those evil space worms to almost take over the Federation at the end of Season 1.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the federation is just human imperialism, imposing literal humanistic values on diverse and alien cultures. the average federation ship - de facto space military and police - is staffed and led primarily by humans with a few token aliens. hosed up if you think about it

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

All in the Family is legit hilarious

Shut up meat head.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Yaos posted:

Shut up meat head.

Will you stifle yourself, Yaos!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

AFAIK know the cast generally liked each other but yeah they weren't bros like the TNG cast or the Voyager boy's club. Word is the DS9 set felt way more like a professional businesslike setting. Bashir and Kira did bone and have a kid together, so there's that, so I guess it wasn't all professional.

Fun fact about Star Trek actors boning: B'Elanna and Damar were married together and divorced from each other before either was on Star Trek.

Brooks and Siddig supposedly didn't like each other because before she hooked up with Siddig Nana Visitor was dating Avery Brooks. Also Brooks hated being on the show but mellowed out on it over the years.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

if you watch the captains documentary its clear that Brooks was actually touched by the prophets.

also mirror universe keira is the real nana vistor lol

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

opus111 posted:

if you watch the captains documentary its clear that Brooks was actually touched by the prophets.

Seriously that guy is crazy as gently caress.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

opus111 posted:

also mirror universe keira is the real nana vistor lol

is this just because she dated a couple coworkers on a seven year long show or is there more to it, asking for a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Rabble posted:

The episode that was weird was the one where Bartley got blasted by a space probe that turned him into a genius that intergrated himself in with the ship through the holodeck and flew the enterprise to some random planet where a giant disembodied head appeared on the bridge and was like "oh cool, you guys are neat lookng." Then they took away Bartley's newfound gifts and that's the last you hear about it.

Star Trek is cool because it has a ton of "if you think about it this changes everything" episodes and then nothing changes

but maybe
if ur lucky
therell be a callback in a later episode

• Locked thread