Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mavric posted:

Wait so are battle saders not worth the effort? I've seen people say everything from they are awful to they can do anything. I wanted to make a priest but they were the only subclass that interested me, but I don't really care to be a buff bot only.

Somefool is intentionally being as negative as possible about all the classes. BSader is perfectly viable for most of the content, but get ready for anyone you party with being disappointed you're not a Support-type. You'll never be QUITE as effective as an actual combat character, but at least you're not a Necromancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
Applied to Restraint with Myrkbrandr, but he's on guild cooldown still. I am really enjoying Avenger.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

HotBobaloo posted:

Seriously...I thought I was hearing things. It's really annoying, is there no way to remove that specific sound without muting the sounds in general?

A few pages back, but I'm pretty sure that there are tools to extract and repack the assets. Finding the audio file and replacing it with an empty one should do the trick.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Mavric posted:

Wait so are battle saders not worth the effort? I've seen people say everything from they are awful to they can do anything. I wanted to make a priest but they were the only subclass that interested me, but I don't really care to be a buff bot only.

From what I've seen of current battle saders, his post isn't including the Second Awakening stuff - Battle 'saders get some really radical stuff with their second awakening, it just might require a lot of leveling to get there. Apparently the whole point of the second awakening was to make battle saders more viable. However, a support sader + friends can curbstomp content at all levels pretty much. You may want to level with a friend to get most of your abilities first.

However, I'm not sure just how the whole 2nd awakening 'sader actually works out other than it /looks/ really fun, so I wish there was some more information on the actual build details.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 1, 2015

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Yo let's talk about Brawlers or rather why status damage is poo poo.

So why the hell is F. Brawler more viable than M. Brawler? Damage output and utility. I'll get to the damage part later, but the utility part is due to F. Brawler having better holds. Junk Spin is a guaranteed stun regardless of whether or not the target is status immune. Block Bomb also bypasses status immunity to inflict stun. These 2 skills together can milk out over 10 seconds of stun time. This is assuming the target is immune to grabs and status effects. M. Brawler have nothing else that F. Brawler doesn't already have except maybe a more spammy net.

Damage part is where it gets complicated. F. Brawlers can deal status damage but her regular damage is even better. The status effects are nice, but isn't necessary so you don't have to worry about facing a status immune target. M. Brawler on the other hand has a much stronger focus on status damage. His regular damage values are actually quite low compared to what his status damage can do. I'm pretty sure most people will realize this when they first get Needle Throw because everything just bleeds to death. You might think status damage is the most amazing poo poo ever because everything in normal dungeons drop like flies, but it gets really bad towards the end game.

First off, what actually affects status damage? The easiest is skill levels. You level the skill and the status damage and level goes up. Status damage also scales with both STR and INT which isn't too hard because Brawlers have a passive that tries to balance both stats out, so you end up with almost equally high STR and INT values. Refinement actually counts for status damage now thanks to an update several months ago. Refining a weapon will now also increase status damage. Finally, there's also specific items with +% status damage effects. These are quite limited and few, but they provide a huge boost to the damage.

So to sum it up, you want the following for more status damage:
-Skill levels
-STR AND INT
-Refinement (not to be confused with reinforcement)
-Items

Sounds great right? Okay, let's talk about all the poo poo that doesn't affect status damage but it does to regular damage.

The weapon's attack values have zero affect on status damage. That's right, it doesn't matter if you're strutting that sweet rear end pink of yours, because only the STR/INT value will affect status damage. Ever tried going from a purple weapon into a pink weapon? The damage jump is actually quite huge but status damage gets none of that. Imagine getting an epic weapon. Your regular damage will sky rocket but status damage will still be stuck there same as before because all that extra attack does jack all. Ok, maybe it gets a little increase due to having a bit more STR/INT.

Critical damage also has zero effect on status damage. If you don't know, landing a critical hit by default amplifies your damage by 50%. Crits deal 1.5x damage and your status damage gets NONE OF IT! You know what regular damage also gets? Critical damage increasing items. There are plenty of items later that will increase critical damage and those will have zero effect on status damage.

Anyone familiar with the Screaming Cave necklace? That's general damage increase. Guess what? That also doesn't affect status damage. All those items with the whole +% damage does jack poo poo to help status damage. Your regular damage will be happy though.

Additional damage? Doesn't work on status damage either. You won't be getting any sweet additional numbers with status damage.

Elemental properties and damage? No such thing as fiery poison or dark bleeding. This is yet another damage modifier that doesn't work with status damage.

Basically, status damage gets jack loving poo poo in terms of damage modifiers. All the stuff I listed above are actually multipliers to regular damage if you actually have those effects. If you manage to get one of each, your regular damage is going to be huge. This is where status damage falls off really hard. The only multiplier for status damage is +% status damage items. There's really not a whole lot of options if you aim specifically for those kinds of items because only a handful exist.

Anyway, let's talk about enemy defense vs status damage. Regular damage is easy, enemies will reduce your damage by a certain percent and maybe even more if you factor in elemental resistance. Status damage is similar in that it also gets reduced by damage reduction from defense but there are a few extra things to factor. Status resistance exist to further reduce damage to the point where enemies can be status immune. Immunity is probably the worst because there are no good ways to remove said immunity. Even if you apply taunt to the target, there will be some that are entirely immune to certain status effects. There is also another factor to status effects and that's the target's level. The status effect chance to apply is based on the status effect level vs the target level. If the status level and target level are close to each other, the chance to apply won't change that much. If the target level is several levels above your status damage, have fun consistently trying to apply the status effect. The only time regular damage will miss is if you lack hit rate, but status damage can miss entirely and constantly if you don't keep the status levels as high as possible.

I think that about covers why status damage is complete trash unless you really pour your heart and soul into it. It's always possible to milk out those sweet 1 million damage bleed ticks.

F. Brawler vs M. Brawler

F. Brawler has a heavy emphasis on close range combat. Her skills do well enough in the damage department and with Apply Poison working on just about everything, there's a whole lot of purple going on. None of her skills are particularly slow, except Junk Spin. Too bad Junk Spin is secretly one of those absurdly strong skills that no one liked to max because hurr durr lvl 1 all purpose stun. Her 2nd awakening active is actually what makes her even better than before. By having a transformation buff to her normal attacks, you won't experience much damage drop when your skills are on cool down. Very well rounded class in my opinion.

M. Brawler is something special though. Here's what killed the M. Brawler, the balance guy didn't want people to one button spam Needle Throw so the awakening passive got nerfed to hell. Try running a dungeon with and without Needle Throw in order to see what I mean. They just won't stop nerfing this skill without buffing his other skills to be on par with it. M. Brawler's awakening passive is to reduce the cool down on item throwing and they nerfed it to the point where you have to cycle between 2-3 different items. You can no longer gear up to be a needle machine gun because that's his only good spam skill. The funniest thing is that chron sets heavily buff Needle Throw and barely buffs the others, so good luck gearing the other item throws to be effective. Then again, this mainly applies to end game so ignore this dumb rant if you don't plan to hit end game with M. Brawler.

edit: I'm not done. M. Fighter have a pretty lovely normal attack chain in my opinion but what's really bad is that a couple of M. Brawler's skills have a minimum range in order to hit. Because his item throws are projectiles, there is this weird spot if an enemy overlaps you, a lot of your skills will outright miss. This probably pisses me off more than anything because F. Brawler would just beat the enemy up in close range.

Somefool fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 1, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I just hope the M. Fighter second awakening reworks give M. Brawler the love he deserves.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the way I see it, m.brawler being so bad in pve is their punishment for being total assholes in pvp

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah Behemoth is pretty okay now. People are just mad about the first two dungeons. Ice wall is just meh, but there's nothing inherently bad about it.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

DFlux posted:

Yeah Behemoth is pretty okay now. People are just mad about the first two dungeons. Ice wall is just meh, but there's nothing inherently bad about it.

I feel like the first two dungeons would be fine without low gravity. Floating space sharks are cool, but it's less cool when the slightest bump knocks you into the air for like 5 seconds.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Good enough for me, thanks loads.

Question about two entirely different classes! For Elementalist and Witch, I know there's a skill that requires you to use all four elements once in a while to stay fully powered up. Is that required on either class? Because it looked like an unbelievable pain in the rear end, if I'm honest.

Or maybe I should skip that whole mess and go Elemental Bomber when I want to get my magic on :v:

Yes, Elemental Burn is really nice on both classes, it's a ton of INT if you keep all 4 marks lit up. I'd definitely recommend keeping it maxed or near max if you can, it will help your damage significantly. It's actually easier to keep up than it sounds usually, since on both classes you will generally be rotating through most of the elements during your normal attack rotation. There will be times where marks will drop though or later on you may have a build that doesn't use all the elements, so you'll want to memorize the tier 1 skill inputs (lantern firebomb, frosty head, pluto, florae circle) and just toss the appropriate one of those out quickly if you see you're missing a mark before going to the next room. They're pretty simple skill inputs, and you can customize them if needed, so if you get into the habit it's pretty easy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://www.twitch.tv/dfodanjun

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

lmao

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Next penalty should be a tabasco covered lemon.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
If I heard it right they're playing for salary vs new character.

NEW CHARACTER IN NEXT PATCH

Now they're playing for free Cera (the cash shop currency) for all DFO players once the Cash Shop opens.

Eddain fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 1, 2015

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

darealkooky posted:

the way I see it, m.brawler being so bad in pve is their punishment for being total assholes in pvp

Last I remember M.Brawlers were nerfed so their important skill modifier, strengthen throw, was on cooldown and out of commission during the start of the fight and everyone said it killed their PVP viability. Has that changed?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
In Lee is chill as gently caress

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I don't think the CEO is gonna survive these games. :ohdear:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Someone edit the sign to have :frogout:

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

there wasn't any bad quests except for one possibly bugged quest for a title which you can ignore (he'atako hunter or whatever).
That quest worked fine for me, it just seemed to have a messed up item name, but it completed fine after I killed Lotus on hard like it told me to.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

a medical mystery posted:

Last I remember M.Brawlers were nerfed so their important skill modifier, strengthen throw, was on cooldown and out of commission during the start of the fight and everyone said it killed their PVP viability. Has that changed?

http://i.imgur.com/sEsSeBM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Vkq6G3B.jpg
needles nerfed into the ground.

Ciaphas posted:

Good enough for me, thanks loads.

Question about two entirely different classes! For Elementalist and Witch, I know there's a skill that requires you to use all four elements once in a while to stay fully powered up. Is that required on either class? Because it looked like an unbelievable pain in the rear end, if I'm honest.

Or maybe I should skip that whole mess and go Elemental Bomber when I want to get my magic on :v:

I used to run a witch back in NA DFO and because my build had a wide range of skills it was never an issue. I generally had 2-4 seals up constantly.

nehezir fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 1, 2015

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
I'm giving up on this game. I sometimes get lucky and I can play for a while, but most of the time Xigncode just shuts my game down for no reason. I keep sending my logs to the wellbia support email address but I can't get the loving thing to recognize that I'm sending my log files to it so I can't figure out what keeps triggering Xigncode constantly.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

With all the mechanics talk going on I have a few questions about f launchers.

What should the conversion skill be set to? I know the weapon lists reduced mana costs for magic skills, so I assume it should be set to that? Does it make the reduced costs apply to all my skills that conversion effects, and does it mean they would scale with int instead of strength?

Also as a f launcher currently going through the spider dungeon I get really messed up by things dropping on me/poison at my feet. Mainly it's caused by me rooting myself with the gatling gun or flamethrower. Should I just not use those moves as often? It seems like a pretty big damage decrease if i avoid them though.

I'm just about 30 so I'll have the flamethrower that let's me move soon, maybe that will help.

Tl;dr how do I f launcher good?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elvis_Maximus posted:

With all the mechanics talk going on I have a few questions about f launchers.

What should the conversion skill be set to? I know the weapon lists reduced mana costs for magic skills, so I assume it should be set to that? Does it make the reduced costs apply to all my skills that conversion effects, and does it mean they would scale with int instead of strength?

Also as a f launcher currently going through the spider dungeon I get really messed up by things dropping on me/poison at my feet. Mainly it's caused by me rooting myself with the gatling gun or flamethrower. Should I just not use those moves as often? It seems like a pretty big damage decrease if i avoid them though.

I'm just about 30 so I'll have the flamethrower that let's me move soon, maybe that will help.

Tl;dr how do I f launcher good?

Flame Pillar will help you a lot, but you just kind of have to cycle through flamethrower, styer, laser, and gatling until you get it. Don't forgot to put at least 1 point into BBQ and Spriggan as your two holds to help when things get to close. Cannon Ball at that level is decent when charged up and has a good amount of knockback and can hit a little bit on the y axis too.

Once you hit 30 make sure Eagle Eye is always up.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Anyone here with any experience in M. Strikers? I've been trying one out but it seems really slow to start out. Am I missing anything about the class or is this just normal?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

Anyone here with any experience in M. Strikers? I've been trying one out but it seems really slow to start out. Am I missing anything about the class or is this just normal?

I personally enjoy f striker more but I didn't ever get too far with m striker

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Applied to the guild on Aryan.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
Bought xpadder and dfo crashes every time I try to configure it saying it has detected a suspicious program. Other goons and people on other forums have reported success with this program, not mentioning anything about it being detected and crashing DFO. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ChaseSP posted:

I get destroyed by them constantly in PvP so tough it out if it's boring

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

teknologik posted:

Bought xpadder and dfo crashes every time I try to configure it saying it has detected a suspicious program. Other goons and people on other forums have reported success with this program, not mentioning anything about it being detected and crashing DFO. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I had success with the following:

1) Update your controller drivers. I use a 360 controller and a friendly good linked to this post, sorry I don't remember who it was: http://tinyurl.com/8b3s89z
2) Set Xpadder's compatibility mode - I saw win7 suggested, but I had success with XP compatibility
3) Run Xpadder as administrator
3) Do not start Xpadder or turn on your controller on until you're already in game. I had mixed results with doing either before getting in to the game, so just wait until you're loaded in then fire them up.

I'm using Xpadder 5.7.

Side question: When does Elementalist start wrecking poo poo? I guess when I hit 35 and get the bigger spells? I just hit 30 this morning and I feel like I'm just spamming Magic Missile at poo poo still.

Codekeeper
Feb 10, 2013

Innocence proves nothing.
Just put in my app, Nicodimus.

Going with Priest -> Avenger it looks like. Good choice? DIAF?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Speaking of experience, exactly how does the Growing Fatigue / EXP UP system work? I've read some people claiming you have to not spend any FP at all the day before, but I can't tell if it's true or not.

e: Also, can Untradeable items still go into your account vault to be transferred between characters?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 1, 2015

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Requesting to join GamerGirls as MarkSatan

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Hmmm.

Eh, why not.

Applied to Restraint with SuplexZero, and GamerGirls with BeamZero.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Codekeeper posted:

Just put in my app, Nicodimus.

Going with Priest -> Avenger it looks like. Good choice? DIAF?

Avenger is nigh unkillable in PvE and it shreds bosses like toilet paper

Honestly you can't make a bad choice with priest they're all fun in my experience

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
can I get aalewis in GamerGirls because something something enlightened by intelligence

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I keep on seeing suggestions that there's a cannon-based build for ranger. Is it any good?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DFlux posted:

Fanatics is awesome. Even more so after the previous two shithole areas.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

dromer posted:

I keep on seeing suggestions that there's a cannon-based build for ranger. Is it any good?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yea it was fine later.

The last three zones were decent but Lotus is probably a bit too easy but whatever

Bring on Ice Wall and also please god let me get to 50 so I can do ToD goddamn why did they gate that poo poo

• Locked thread