Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Mango posted:

The prices that I'm seeing range from $220 to $250, with the lower ones being small-time Chinese sellers and the higher ones being small-time US sellers. In both cases the warranty or return policy may be questionable or non-existent.

Should I just say to hell with it and get the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Avant for $150? Absolutely not, gross Or the Moto E 2nd Gen LTE for the same price probably not, a Moto G is much better for only $200? At least then I won't have to worry about T-Mobile compatibility issues or warranty issues or whether it's been mislabeled as new.

See above. Waiting for an eBay deal to get a new LG G2 or Moto X for ~$200 is your best long term solution though. Either would last you much longer than the budget phones you're looking at. You shouldn't worry about T-Mobile compatibility, in the sense that you just figure out the model number you need and search for it (Moto X XT1053, LG G2 D801, etc). I'd personally probably get an awful and super cheap Windows Phone (Lumia 521 is $20 in stores at Target, supposedly) to last you a week or two and buy the next Moto X you see for ~$200 on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Being dead set on buying new limits your options a whole lot at that price, just get the moto g if you really want that box seal cracking experience. or give that up and do some haggling and get this http://swappa.com/listing/EZL074/view or this http://swappa.com/listing/DUA194/view or this http://swappa.com/listing/RIF624/view or this http://swappa.com/listing/PKJ904/view or this http://swappa.com/listing/LYM435/view

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003
It looks like the Asus Zenfone 2 has good enough specs at a good enough price that I should just wait for it to be released and buy it new.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

The Mango posted:

Update 2: And I've read that if you use a non T-Mobile phone on T-Mobile, that you don't get some features, such as wifi calling. Is this still the case, and should that make me buy a smartphone that specifically says "T-Mobile" in the title?

I didn't see anyone answer this, and I'm also very interested to know the answer.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mnemosyne posted:

I didn't see anyone answer this, and I'm also very interested to know the answer.

The answer is yes, you have to buy a phone that is sold by T-Mobile to get wifi calling.

Case in point: 2014 Moto X comes with a T-Mobile SIM card but it isn't actually sold by T-Mobile. It doesn't support wifi calling.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

nimper posted:

The answer is yes, you have to buy a phone that is sold by T-Mobile to get wifi calling.

Case in point: 2014 Moto X comes with a T-Mobile SIM card but it isn't actually sold by T-Mobile. It doesn't support wifi calling.

I bought a T-Mobile S4 and enabling wifi calling totally ruined my phone; whenever I was on wifi it would totally disable cell service so I wouldn't get text messages and the call quality sucked pretty badly. Apparently this is a known issue with S4s...so I guess maybe do some research on the feature before buying a phone if it's an important selling point for you.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Still waiting for the Xperia Z3 to get the Lollipop update. Looks like we are getting very, very close.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

nimper posted:

Alternatively, get a G-Voice number and use Hangouts for a Wi-Fi-calling second line. That'll work on any modern android, but I'm not sure about iOS. I've done it on a few OEM-purchased phones, and it'll even work on a tablet without cell service. There are a few perks like enhanced blocking and online/transcript voicemail.

You even get the bonus of picking your own number, within the available pool per region. Downside is some people don't like dealing with your two numbers, but even MMS works on it these days.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doesn't matter since iOS has wifi calling regardless of where you buy it.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

Doesn't matter since iOS has wifi calling regardless of where you buy it.

Yeah, that's better. I didn't notice an OS preference given, and just wanted to make sure that option was mentioned.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

spiralbrain posted:

Still waiting for the Xperia Z3 to get the Lollipop update. Looks like we are getting very, very close.

I'm not imagining that the T-mobile Z3 will be getting the update soon. In fact, given that they are planning an update in May, related to Band 12 (I think), I wouldn't really expect it until then. Unless you are talking about an unbranded Z3 then yes, I think that may already be available through the PC companion.

T-Mobile hasn't even switched the page here, https://support.t-mobile.com/community/phones-tablets-devices/software-updates still shows it in manufacturer dev, which is obviously a bit behind the times.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sweart gliwere posted:

You even get the bonus of picking your own number, within the available pool per region. Downside is some people don't like dealing with your two numbers, but even MMS works on it these days.

I actually used Hangouts calling/texting for a little while. The two numbers thing is a little confusing for most people. MMS does work but only for sending pictures/videos. The real problem I found is that group texts come in as individual messages and you can't reply to the group as a whole.

Which is fine if you don't have any friends, I suppose.
:goonsay:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

nimper posted:

Thanks for the answer, though it sucks. I guess that crosses the Moto X off my list of possible phones. I could really use Wifi calling because the service is terrible to non-existent at my house. I can't really use Hangouts because I need it to work for incoming calls, not just outgoing.

So that basically leaves me with the M8 as my only option, but Tmobile doesn't even seem to sell new M8s anymore. :sigh:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mnemosyne posted:

Thanks for the answer, though it sucks. I guess that crosses the Moto X off my list of possible phones. I could really use Wifi calling because the service is terrible to non-existent at my house. I can't really use Hangouts because I need it to work for incoming calls, not just outgoing.

So that basically leaves me with the M8 as my only option, but Tmobile doesn't even seem to sell new M8s anymore. :sigh:

You can use hangouts for incoming calls too if you have a Google Voice number.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

Assuming you are using a google voice number, it will also work for incoming calls. I can answer incoming calls on my phone, tablet or even my computer, it rings whatever device (or devices) you want it to.

You could port your current number to gvoice and go that way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Walrusmaster posted:

You could port your current number to gvoice and go that way.

This is exactly what I'm doing in a few days when my Sprint contract is finally over.

Protip - if by any chance anyone is still using the Sprint/GV tie-in, disable that before you try to port it to GV.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Mnemosyne posted:

You can get a free cell spot from Tmo that may help with signal inside your house.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Verizon just opened preorders for S6 and my wife is already using hers after it got here and I had my chance to play with it.

Thanks T-Mobile.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

ruby idiot railed posted:

Verizon just opened preorders for S6 and my wife is already using hers after it got here and I had my chance to play with it.

Thanks T-Mobile.

I got my S6 on Monday. So far so good. Felt smug going into Best Buy last night looking for cases and was told they wouldn't have any until they're released. What's this then BAM!

Shout out to the super friendly TMOBILE rep who transferred my SIM.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Co-worker got a notice that his S6 just came in, he's going to activate it as soon as he gets off work. I'm super jealous but have to wait till Friday to see what I can do about getting mine.

I never thought I'd be so interested in a Samsung phone :downs:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Does anyone know roughly how much the next day shipping would cost for a pre-order?

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!

Skeezy posted:

Does anyone know roughly how much the next day shipping would cost for a pre-order?

I pre-ordered the One M9 and they tossed in next day shipping free of charge. I got it yesterday. I dunno if they'll do it for everyone but that's what happened to me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

I pre-ordered the One M9 and they tossed in next day shipping free of charge. I got it yesterday. I dunno if they'll do it for everyone but that's what happened to me.

Sounds good to me.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I had the prepaid nerd plan, and couldn't get data when roaming on AT&T network. Is this normal? I phoned 611 and the tech couldn't do anything because it wasn't T-mobile's network.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Rated PG-34 posted:

I had the prepaid nerd plan, and couldn't get data when roaming on AT&T network. Is this normal? I phoned 611 and the tech couldn't do anything because it wasn't T-mobile's network.

This is normal. You only roam voice and SMS

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

gariig posted:

This is normal. You only roam voice and SMS

Okay, some brief googling reveals that there is a domestic data roaming quota for some plans. Does the nerd plan not have any?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

Okay, some brief googling reveals that there is a domestic data roaming quota for some plans. Does the nerd plan not have any?

Yeah prepaid has pretty much no roaming for data.

Skeezy posted:

$25 for next day shipping.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Two questions. First, activated my Nexus 6 on the nerd plan last night. I got the $30 kit from Walmart that's supposed to include $30 worth of airtime credit out of the box, but it still made me buy another $30 via the website while I activated (and last I saw, my balance was just that $30 I bought). Do I need to do anything or just wait until it's been at least 24 hours for the $30 credit that came with the SIM to show up?

Second, is there any reason to not buy these to refill?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

IOwnCalculus posted:

Two questions. First, activated my Nexus 6 on the nerd plan last night. I got the $30 kit from Walmart that's supposed to include $30 worth of airtime credit out of the box, but it still made me buy another $30 via the website while I activated (and last I saw, my balance was just that $30 I bought). Do I need to do anything or just wait until it's been at least 24 hours for the $30 credit that came with the SIM to show up?

I made the same mistake. You paid for this month with your Walmart kit and then you added a $30 balance to cover next month.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As long as it shows up eventually, that's fine by me. T-Mo's site does seem to be pretty loving broken in a lot of regards, it puked all over the place when I tried to set my security questions. Just now it tells me it can't actually pull up my account. Phone still works, so who cares!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

IOwnCalculus posted:

As long as it shows up eventually, that's fine by me. T-Mo's site does seem to be pretty loving broken in a lot of regards, it puked all over the place when I tried to set my security questions. Just now it tells me it can't actually pull up my account. Phone still works, so who cares!

It won't ever show $60 from what you did today. The $30 from the walmart card was already deducted to pay for service from April 1 to April 30. On May 1, the extra $30 you funded will be applied for May 1 to May 31st and your balance will show $0 until you add a refill to cover June and beyond (or it will just continue showing $0 if you autopay.)

You're good to not add any money until the end of May if you want to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

It won't ever show $60 from what you did today

That... makes total sense. First time ever dealing with a prepaid account and still getting used to it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So I can't sign up for jump partially through cause I really want that S6, I'm about halfway through paying for my iphone6.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

LionYeti posted:

So I can't sign up for jump partially through cause I really want that S6, I'm about halfway through paying for my iphone6.

You can only add jump to your plan within 14 days of purchasing your phone. . Can't add it after that unfortunately.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Burden posted:

You can only add jump to your plan within 14 days of purchasing your phone. . Can't add it after that unfortunately.

Ah well, might be able to find it used for cheap afterwards, not like I hate my iphone6 or anything just wanted the new hotness.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
You can trade the iphone6 in the regular way if you've paid off enough of it that the trade-in value nearly matches your EIP payoff value. And since it's an iphone6 the trade-in value should still be pretty high.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

ruby idiot railed posted:

You can trade the iphone6 in the regular way if you've paid off enough of it that the trade-in value nearly matches your EIP payoff value. And since it's an iphone6 the trade-in value should still be pretty high.

How would I find out both of those things?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

LionYeti posted:

What you would do is go through the phone ordering process only long enough to find out what the estimated trade-in value of your iphone is (obviously don't complete the process), and look up the EIP payoff for your iphone in your my.t-mobile profile.

Then you think over it and decide if the difference is worth it for you to switch to a new phone way ahead of time. You'd pay off the iphone and get the trade-in credit in your bill when you purchase the new phone and turn in your iphone (whether it all be done in-store or completely online, I think you get better trade-in value online but I don't know that for certain).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 3, 2015

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

LionYeti posted:

You can find your trade in value at https://www.t-mobile.com/tradein The T-mobile iPhone 6 16GB is at $261 right now. Your EIP balance will be on your my T-mobile account as the previous poster said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd also like to know if you can use these to pay the $30/month for the nerd plan. 31% off would effectively make the nerd plan $20.70/month.