Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Durance is a really interesting character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The closer you get to traditional D&D design the worse it is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Druid and priest have too many available spells for the wizard's "really versatile but not all at once" thing to work. Make it so that you don't get all the spells for those two classes automatically and wizards would come out a little ahead.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

Boing posted:

Yo what's this:

Is it something to do with Escape, because whenever I use Escape on my rogue I always get halfway into the animation while standing still and then someone knocks me out of it.

I can't make sense of the garbledeegoop in this image, but I, too, am finding Escape quite useless as all that happens is my rogue seems to get stuck in the animation for the skill, and just continues to get beat on by enemies till he/she passes out.

It'd be much better if it somehow activated instantly.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wizard could have been done better if they actually had some interesting skills. Anything a wizard can do, a chanter can do better, and the Tier 3 fireball is still the only spell I use reliably, because most of the other AoE damage skills are simply too risky to use, what with the combat pathfinding being awful, and most of the late enemies being all over your party's rear end 2 seconds into any fight.

Edit: Also any mind controlling/Confusing or sniping enemy seems programmed to go for your wizard first every time, even if they are literally standing in another room. I had sentries running past my party just to get shots onto my wizard that I deliberately left behind in some dungeons.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Guys, Eyestrike is pretty fuckin nuts:

:catstare:

(Also, the Cipher spell effects are baller as hell :getin:)

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I dunno, I get a lot of mileage out of the level 2 mass-blind.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Make arcane veil good. Make firearms only thing that can reliably pierce it.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Re: difficulties

So Easy is the same as Hard (apart from more rests), just that there are more mobs?

Or are mobs easier?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Wizard could have been done better if they actually had some interesting skills. Anything a wizard can do, a chanter can do better, and the Tier 3 fireball is still the only spell I use reliably, because most of the other AoE damage skills are simply too risky to use, what with the combat pathfinding being awful, and most of the late enemies being all over your party's rear end 2 seconds into any fight.

I don't particularly like wizards but chanters are terrible at doing what wizards are best at, namely crowd control. The invocations just take far too long to come online and most battles are decided much before that.

Also, wizards become fantastic at lvl9 because first levels become per encounter instead of per rest. Having 4 slickens per combat is great.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Andrast posted:

I don't particularly like wizards but chanters are terrible at doing what wizards are best at, namely crowd control. The invocations just take far too long to come online and most battles are decided much before that.

You know who's good at crowd control? Priests. And the best of all is that their crowd control doesn't have friendly fire.

Edit: Give Wizards 3x the casting range, and I think it would solve a lot of the issues.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Chanters aren't that heavy on spell casting, I'm finding I'll get to cast one or two invocations at most before a fight is over. I'd say their largest competitors are druids.

alcaras posted:

So Easy is the same as Hard (apart from more rests), just that there are more mobs?

Or are mobs easier?

On easy you might have an encounter against a fighter and a rogue, on normal it might be two fighters and two rogues, on hard you'll go up against three fighters, two rogues and a mage.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

alcaras posted:

Or are mobs easier?

The way I understand it, mobs are the same difficulty (ie, a Shadow is a Shadow whether you're on Easy or Hard), but on Easy there'll be fewer Shadows per pack and you probably won't have Shades mixed in.

It's only on PotD where they get stat buffs (in addition to coming in huge groups?)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

You know who's good at crowd control? Priests. And the best of all is that their crowd control doesn't have friendly fire.

My party at the moment is a fighter, a priest, a wizard, 2 ciphers and a chanter. The wizard pulls his weight just fine in that group (mostly because of spammable slickens ).

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
If a skill says targets, it means friend or foe, correct? I can just see my cipher's eyestrike biting me in the rear end when it blinds my tanks.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

WarLocke posted:

The way I understand it, mobs are the same difficulty (ie, a Shadow is a Shadow whether you're on Easy or Hard), but on Easy there'll be fewer Shadows per pack and you probably won't have Shades mixed in.

It's only on PotD where they get stat buffs (in addition to coming in huge groups?)

So boss fights with a set number of mobs are identical? (E.g. The final boss of the Endless Paths, or the final boss of the game)

alcaras fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 1, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think wizards are fine. If you're relying on their spells for damage you won't have a fun time, but their CC is the best in the business and is available to open fights. If you're trying to last longer without rests wizards actively cause you to carefully monitor how you use spells, but they also allow you to try to blow out encounters with a bunch of magic if you need to throw it all out at once.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

If a skill says targets, it means friend or foe, correct? I can just see my cipher's eyestrike biting me in the rear end when it blinds my tanks.

if the spells sayd "Foe AOE" it only affects enemies. Almost all offensive Cipher spells only affect enemies.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Eyestrike is foe AoE, but you first need a target to cast it on (either friend or foe). You can't cast it on ground like fireball.

Forgot to say, if you cast it on your ally or yourself, you will get blinded/dazed. Cast it on enemies.

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 1, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
IF you know that your wizard is going to get hit with an enemy charm spell use the anti-magic defense spell that reflects magic.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Andrast posted:

My party at the moment is a fighter, a priest, a wizard, 2 ciphers and a chanter. The wizard pulls his weight just fine in that group (mostly because of spammable slickens ).

I'm near the end of the game, and all my Wizard has really been doing for the last few hours is hurling fireballs, anything else gets him killed. The priest's level 2 "Repulsive Seal" is superior to slicken in every way, and easily stuns ONLY ENEMIES for up towards 20 seconds. And you can easily cast it in combat.
If you place a seal again on a big enemy, it also doesn't trigger until he stands up, which makes it very easy to keep bosses stunlocked.

part of the problem is that the cast range for most Wizard spells(except for fireball) is really low, which means any time you decide to cast something fancy, your frail little nerd runs straight towards the group of enemies.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Andrast posted:

if the spells sayd "Foe AOE" it only affects enemies. Almost all offensive Cipher spells only affect enemies.

The tradeoff being that every one has to be targeted at something (either a friendly or an enemy) and can't be cast on yourself. So no fancy positioning to get that last guy inside the aoe, either he's near enough to someone you can drop it on or he's not.

And stuff like Soul Shock (cast on friendly, hits enemies in an AoE) can't be used solo.

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014

Disco Infiva posted:

Make arcane veil good. Make firearms only thing that can reliably pierce it.

Yea, this. Arcane veil is pretty worthless and the whole "the development of firearms has made mages more vulnerable" they were talking about earlier on was a cool and unique angle for a fantasy game that seems to have been dropped. I guess it would have made more sense if wizard supremacy was a thing in this setting, but I guess sometimes you gotta sacrifice cool setting stuff for game balance.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I love my wizard. Not Aloth as a character, but after gobbling every grimoire I came across I eventually dropped the chanter NPC (I don't like him but he is at least more interesting than Aloth so far). Aloth can learn from any grimoire to fill in the holes, Druids and Priests get every spell wholesale on leveling, but in the Chanter's case you have to pick 1 chant/invocation. Eventually my wizard had some like 30 spells while the chanter has maybe 4-5 active spells he can do every 3+ passive chants (which is just boring from a gameplay perspective).

Wizards have pretty great debuffs, repel spells, and once you position your frontline not to be murdered by friendly fire, he can just poo poo damage over large aoe over and over.

That being said, as a spellcaster I way, way, way prefer the Druid and I'm really glad I picked that class.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

iirc if it says it affects: Target: single person targeting, Everyone: has friendly fire, Enemy: Only affects enemies. It's easy enough to see anyway since the spell targeting will make the cursors under your characters change and move if they're going to be affected by a spell.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Video game I do not like it when you present Serious Lore via elderly crazy people.

Not crazy elderly people, that implies old people that just happen to go mad. "Elderly crazy people" are lunatics who have spent their wholes lives squawking about SOULS and survived well past their age expectancy.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Mac Con posted:

Yea, this. Arcane veil is pretty worthless and the whole "the development of firearms has made mages more vulnerable" they were talking about earlier on was a cool and unique angle for a fantasy game that seems to have been dropped. I guess it would have made more sense if wizard supremacy was a thing in this setting, but I guess sometimes you gotta sacrifice cool setting stuff for game balance.

Description of firearms still states they easily pierce arcane veil, and even Durance (or Eder, forgot) has a whole dialogue tree about firearms and wizards.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

The only cipher spells that affect party members on AoE are mind lance at level 4 and detonate at level 5 if it succeeds in killing an enemy.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah TBH I think arcane veil could stand to be made stronger. I've found grimoire slam more useful by far thanks to its ability to push monsters off aloth.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Azran posted:

It's an old post, I know, but this thread moves fast and I wanted to ask a question: what are you using to make it so neatly looking? I try to use IrfanView and Windows Resizer and unless I let it keep the aspect ratio (changing the width to something less than 330) it looks fugly :(
Irfanview works great for quick resizing.

1) Crop a wide horizontal strip that shows both the top of the head and something like the chest or waist at the bottom. Don't worry about the sides.
2) Resize the image so it has the right height (330). Keep aspect ratio so it doesn't get squished.
3) Now crop it so it has the right width as well (210)
4) Save as "male_coolface_lg.png"

If step 3 crops some neat detail on the side you wanted to include, start over and make the picture taller this time.

5) Start over from the original image
6) Crop the horizontal strip the same way, but only showing face this time
7) Resize to right height (96)
8) Crop to right width (76)
9) Save as "male_coolface_sm.png"

esquilax posted:

I've never seen those numbers or math you're using but if it doubled the time of 1/4 of your full attack sequence, it would be a 20% decrease in attack speed. Twice as long for 1/4 of the full attack means a 25% increase in time taken for the full sequence, which means 4 attacks instead of 5 over a long period of time. Mitigated a bit by the fact that the first attack is an alpha strike, but in long battles it should even out to there.

The reduction would be even greater if you have the chant and talent that reduce reloading time more than they reduce recovery time

It's probably not worth it since ranged characters don't take damage at all in 95% of battles. The extra 8 DR or so they get from plate over padded might buy you an extra hit or three to escape, but the trade off there is fairly one-sided.
Haha. You're right about the math and I've been doing it the wrong way around...

But the weird thing is, despite all that my tests all show that Arquebus gets only about -10% speed going from naked to brigandine (listed as -50% recovery time)...

Dex 10
No armor: 12 shots in 2 minutes
Brigandine: 11 shots in 2 minutes
(-8% change)

Dex 27 (+51% action speed)
No armor: 17 shots in 2 minutes
Brigandine: 15 shots in 2 minutes
(-12% change)

Dex 43 (+99% action speed)
No armor: 22 shots in 2 minutes
Brigandine: 20 shots in 2 minutes
(-9% change)

Likewise the Greatsword only goes from 22 hits to 17 hits (-23% with Dex 10) and 39 hits to 31 hits (-21% with Dex 43) when it should logically be -50% when the recovery time doubles...

The heck is going on? Is the recovery time actually much shorter than the action animation time? Guess it must be...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

WarLocke posted:

The tradeoff being that every one has to be targeted at something (either a friendly or an enemy) and can't be cast on yourself. So no fancy positioning to get that last guy inside the aoe, either he's near enough to someone you can drop it on or he's not.

And stuff like Soul Shock (cast on friendly, hits enemies in an AoE) can't be used solo.
The cipher's best spells are disables or have a disabling element so if you're going to be a min-maxing grog, going full INT munchkin at the expense of might is the ideal cipher power build. I never had an issue with locking down entire groups

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

The cipher's best spells are disables or have a disabling element so if you're going to be a min-maxing grog, going full INT munchkin at the expense of might is the ideal cipher power build. I never had an issue with locking down entire groups

Yeah I think I'm going to wait for the bugfix patch before starting another game, but I'm liking the idea of a 16 Per/18 Int/14 Res/10 in the rest Living Lands Scientist Cipher. Just focus on locking poo poo down all day with Sneak and Mechanics for out-of-combat usefulness.

Seriously, Cipher gets one of the best skill point layouts. +1 Lore, Sneak, AND Mechanics? Yes please.

e: Found this portrait somewhere, gonna use it for my Medieval Psychic Forensic Scientist:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 1, 2015

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you're min/maxing, you don't have to compromise between might and int.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Sagani has a Bonded Grief debuff, presumably because her fox has been knocked out a few times, but how do I make it go away?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

klockwerk posted:

I can't make sense of the garbledeegoop in this image, but I, too, am finding Escape quite useless as all that happens is my rogue seems to get stuck in the animation for the skill, and just continues to get beat on by enemies till he/she passes out.

It'd be much better if it somehow activated instantly.

The best use I found for escape is teleporting past blocked up doorways to gently caress up a ranged combatant who you otherwise can't get at. The only use, I guess. Co-ordinated positioning is probably even better for that, but that's a skill I used a grand total of 0 times because I kept forgetting I had it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Disco Infiva posted:

Durance is a really interesting character.

more avellone than avellone

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oasx posted:

Sagani has a Bonded Grief debuff, presumably because her fox has been knocked out a few times, but how do I make it go away?
Did you try kicking her out and bringing her back in?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

WarLocke posted:

Yeah I think I'm going to wait for the bugfix patch before starting another game, but I'm liking the idea of a 16 Per/18 Int/14 Res/10 in the rest Living Lands Scientist Cipher. Just focus on locking poo poo down all day with Sneak and Mechanics for out-of-combat usefulness.

16 Per is a complete waste of like 8 stat points that could be better used in Might or Dex, unless you're just doing that for roleplay purposes.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Overall Wizards need a lot of their spells and abilities ranges to be boosted to 10m+ and ciphers need their ranges reduced, i.e. Eyestrike and Whisper of Treason are level one cipher spells with 20m ranges while Slicken is 10m, Dazzling Lights is 6m and Arcane Assault is 5m. It makes more sense for Ciphers to have shorter ranges as they are supposed to be draining enemy souls and be in the poo poo while mages should generally hang back and be artillery.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 1, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
"Seems easy enough!"

#justPOTDthings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014

Disco Infiva posted:

Description of firearms still states they easily pierce arcane veil, and even Durance (or Eder, forgot) has a whole dialogue tree about firearms and wizards.

Is this actually reflected in the mechanics, though? Do firearms ignore the deflection bonus that arcane veil gives? Even if they do, arcane veil only grants a pretty temporary 25 deflection bonus, so it's still piss easy to hit wizards with arcane veil on because their base deflection is so low to begin with, so it would still seem pretty insignificant instead of a game changing development.

• Locked thread