Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Dang their twitter is also being vague about "smaller team, smaller budget". I know the financial landscape has changed a lot but if they're at the point where they think "eh, maybe we don't need to bother doing harmony charts, who would really miss them?" that doesn't bode well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Can someone who uses the Twitter thing please ask them if there is going to be a midi adaptor for real electronic drum kits? It's a deal breaker if I have to go back to lovely MadCatz things.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Can someone who uses the Twitter thing please ask them if there is going to be a midi adaptor for real electronic drum kits? It's a deal breaker if I have to go back to lovely MadCatz things.

On the latest survey they sent out that was one of the options for "how are you going to play drums" or something to that effect. So I think they're still looking into it.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

xamphear posted:

doesn't matter what you actually said

Is that THE xamphear that I refer to on my TBRB3 thread on the C3 forums?

TrojanNemo posted:

This project would not be possible without the prior work by xamphear and those guys...

That's a name I haven't seen online since at least 2012 :-o

Glad to see you're still around.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

TrojanNemo posted:

Glad to see you're still around.
If it's in reference to the Beatles stuff then yup, that was me. I think I heard a while back that some other people were trying to get pausing to work (I had a pretty solid theory why it didn't, but drew the line at putting in the time required to fix it) as well as animations and so on. If you're building upon that original export, then that's awesome and I'm glad to hear it's growing past what I did.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
Oh you should check out the thread. It's well past that. We have everything working, exact metadata and album art from the game. Audio works perfectly since it's compiled with Magma. Animations and all of the MIDI that could be salvaged from the game MIDIs are used, with only the changes necessary for RB3. After all that, we also have added keys and pro g/b to several of the songs.
At this point nothing that is being used comes from your files, but I still leave that message there because I started with your files from back in the day, and after several revisions what we use now is 100% all me. But you have to respect those that came before ;-)

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
I sold my 360 a while ago and have let my plastic drumming skills rust. Is it worth rebuying a 360 to go back to Rock Band and my massive dlc library or should I just wait for 4 to come out and get the Xbox One for that?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
e: ^^^ I would just wait, personally, unless you're really itching to play.

The actual C3 release for this week includes a 3-pack of a band that has never been in Rock Band before (not counting community customs) -- surprisingly so. It's not as big a hole as, say, Prince/Zep/Pink Floyd/etc., but I was always curious why we never got anything from this band. Start your guesses now!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder if they're waiting to see what Activision does before saying anything. That's prob what they're waiting on with Harmonies.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
They could have avoided Activision tailing them if they did what they've been doing with the 2015 DLC and announce the game literally the day before it comes out. :P

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

TrojanNemo posted:

Oh you should check out the thread. It's well past that. We have everything working, exact metadata and album art from the game. Audio works perfectly since it's compiled with Magma. Animations and all of the MIDI that could be salvaged from the game MIDIs are used, with only the changes necessary for RB3. After all that, we also have added keys and pro g/b to several of the songs.
At this point nothing that is being used comes from your files, but I still leave that message there because I started with your files from back in the day, and after several revisions what we use now is 100% all me. But you have to respect those that came before ;-)

That's awesome. I always viewed what I did as a proof of concept. I wanted to show that it could be done by getting every song to work well enough to play, with all original instrument and harmony charts. Once I reached the point where my friends and I could play the songs and not have any show stopping issues, I decided that was good enough and released what I had.

Oh and yeah, breaking the moggs back down to stems and then recompiling them with Magma is exactly what I figured it would take to fix the pausing issue. I just wasn't willing to put in the time to redo every file at that point, and I had some minor reservations about re-compressing the audio. I think I just stole a working mogg header and slapped it onto every song because it took a couple seconds and it worked.

I still have the text file I wrote up with a full run-down of all the steps it took to convert each song. I put the steps together and Helfmyselp (another long-time RB thread poster here) used it to help me crank out the songs in half the time it would have taken me alone. If you're curious, let me know, and I'll PM it to you. It might give you a laugh.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 2, 2015

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

pksage posted:

e: ^^^ I would just wait, personally, unless you're really itching to play.

The actual C3 release for this week includes a 3-pack of a band that has never been in Rock Band before (not counting community customs) -- surprisingly so. It's not as big a hole as, say, Prince/Zep/Pink Floyd/etc., but I was always curious why we never got anything from this band. Start your guesses now!

I hate the fuckin Eagles, man.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

pksage posted:

I was wondering with friends this week why we haven't seen any Elvis customs.

Which is the wrong guess, I'm sure.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

pksage posted:

They Might Be Giants, obviously.

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011
I always thought it was weird that there was no ZZ Top or Scorpions.
They both feel like very "Rock Band" bands to me.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

PardonMeHippo posted:

Pretty sure ZZ Top either doesn't have separate stems or won't give up masters since La Grange was a cover in GH3.

EDIT: And so was Gimme All Your Lovin in GHWT

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 2, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

PardonMeHippo posted:

Harmonix got Wind of Change for Rocks the 80s and Guitar Hero had Rock You Like a Hurricane, so they aren't unassailable. I have one ZZ Top song in my RB, but it could be a custom.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Harmonix got Wind of Change for Rocks the 80s and Guitar Hero had Rock You Like a Hurricane, so they aren't unassailable. I have one ZZ Top song in my RB, but it could be a custom.

It was No One Like You and they were both covers though so

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

xamphear posted:

That's awesome. I always viewed what I did as a proof of concept. I wanted to show that it could be done by getting every song to work well enough to play, with all original instrument and harmony charts. Once I reached the point where my friends and I could play the songs and not have any show stopping issues, I decided that was good enough and released what I had.

Oh and yeah, breaking the moggs back down to stems and then recompiling them with Magma is exactly what I figured it would take to fix the pausing issue. I just wasn't willing to put in the time to redo every file at that point, and I had some minor reservations about re-compressing the audio. I think I just stole a working mogg header and slapped it onto every song because it took a couple seconds and it worked.

I still have the text file I wrote up with a full run-down of all the steps it took to convert each song. I put the steps together and Helfmyselp (another long-time RB thread poster here) used it to help me crank out the songs in half the time it would have taken me alone. If you're curious, let me know, and I'll PM it to you. It might give you a laugh.

Sure, I would like to see that. I don't think I have PM privileges here. If you're on the C3 forums you can pm it to me there, or post it here if you don't mind it being public.

By now we're much more familiar with what makes the game tick and what makes a mogg file, but back then you were definitely trailblazing :-)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I PM'd it to you over on C3. I hope you find it amusing and/or enlightening.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We never got any Genesis which is sad.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
I'm not sure if that is a joke or if you're just oblivious.
Since I'm not sure how rules work here.

Put the word genesis in your browser. Then put a period. Then put customscreators. Then put a period. Then put a com. You're welcome.
80(?) Genesis songs brought to you by C3.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Abu Dave posted:

We never got any Genesis which is sad.

Yeah, okay

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 3, 2015

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

WhiteHowler posted:

They Might Be Giants, obviously.

C3 custom song releases for April 3, 2015:

New! They Might Be Giants C01 3-pack
  • They Might Be Giants - "Ana Ng" (pksage)
  • They Might Be Giants - "Birdhouse in Your Soul" (MiltoniusPrime and pksage)
  • They Might Be Giants - "Doctor Worm" (pksage and MiltoniusPrime)
New! LittleKuriboh C01 3-pack (Arcanon)
  • LittleKuriboh - "Paraboss (ft. ShadyVox and TheAzureCrow)" M
  • LittleKuriboh - "Pharaoh's Throne" M
  • LittleKuriboh - "The King of Rhymes (ft. ShadyVox)" K
New! Singles
  • Golden Earring - "Twilight Zone" (MFX)
  • Mastodon - "The Last Baron" 2x (BearzUnlimited)

Obviously I'm proudest of the TMBG pack, but "Twilight Zone" is a hugeballs amazing addition, and if you're into Crack the Skye you will probably enjoy these 13 minutes(!) of Mastodon.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
What, no "Don't Let's Start"? (I kid, I kid.)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Gaspar Lewis posted:

What, no "Don't Let's Start"? (I kid, I kid.)

I really wanted "Don't Let's Start", "Boss of Me", and "Experimental Film", and I wouldn't have said no to "Man, It's So Loud In Here", "Another First Kiss", "I Palindrome I", and maybe some more tracks from Flood. Alas.

Fun fact: "Twilight Zone" has been hanging around our internal playtesting forum for almost two years!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I thought about picking up a PS3 plastic guitar since my 360 is dead and the rock band stuff barring the disc and mic is lost to the ethos. Turns out it's near impossible to find one with the dongle or just wired, maybe I'll have better luck at a pawn shop or something...

Mr E fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 3, 2015

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Hell yeah Twilight Zone.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

pksage posted:

[list][*]Golden Earring - "Twilight Zone" (MFX)

This is the best thing.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Huge "Birdhouse in Your Soul" fan, thanks!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Does it bother anyone who plays customs that they don't have access to the master tracks, so there's no gaps in guitar or whatever instrument when they miss?

Cause I imagine that would bug me a lot. It takes away the illusion that you're playing, doesn't it?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

KiddieGrinder posted:

Does it bother anyone who plays customs that they don't have access to the master tracks, so there's no gaps in guitar or whatever instrument when they miss?

Cause I imagine that would bug me a lot. It takes away the illusion that you're playing, doesn't it?

Depends on if you miss.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

KiddieGrinder posted:

Actually, according to a survey we did last year that got a pretty comprehensive response, there's an equal amount of people bothered by the audio not cutting off and of people who prefer the audio NOT cutting off. In general more less than 3 users out of 10 are bothered by the audio not cutting off. Also, we have a fair amount of multitrack songs (Led Zeppelin, Madonna, Dream Theater, Marvin Gaye, Pantera, REO Speedwagon, EW&F among others).

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

We turned off the TINK TONK TOOT miss sounds the moment we found out we could because most of the time we're getting progressively more drunk as we play.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd rather have the track cut out when I miss but I'd also rather be able to play a song at all. ;)

The miss sounds though, yeah, those can go. In my ideal Rock Band if you missed you'd get a dissonant tone, the way you would if you were playing guitar and accidentally fingered the wrong fret (an effect I, if I do say so myself, am quite expertly familiar with).

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

pksage posted:

New! They Might Be Giants C01 3-pack
  • They Might Be Giants - "Ana Ng" (pksage)
  • They Might Be Giants - "Birdhouse in Your Soul" (MiltoniusPrime and pksage)
  • They Might Be Giants - "Doctor Worm" (pksage and MiltoniusPrime)

Obviously I'm proudest of the TMBG pack, but "Twilight Zone" is a hugeballs amazing addition, and if you're into Crack the Skye you will probably enjoy these 13 minutes(!) of Mastodon.

now you guys are just loving with me... I've clamored for TMBG in RB since it came out. Urgh, I wish I had an Xbox.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Now I'm stepping into a Twilight Zone... TMBG?!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

farottone posted:

Actually, according to a survey we did last year that got a pretty comprehensive response, there's an equal amount of people bothered by the audio not cutting off and of people who prefer the audio NOT cutting off. In general more less than 3 users out of 10 are bothered by the audio not cutting off. Also, we have a fair amount of multitrack songs (Led Zeppelin, Madonna, Dream Theater, Marvin Gaye, Pantera, REO Speedwagon, EW&F among others).

That's interesting, I'd never have guessed that. I suppose this \/\/\/ is a big reason.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd rather have the track cut out when I miss but I'd also rather be able to play a song at all. ;)

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

KiddieGrinder posted:

You've never played my customs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Orange Harrison posted:

You've never played my customs.

:jerkbag:

C3 additionally features multitracked customs from more than just one band from the '60s, including, as farottone said:

quote:

(Led Zeppelin, Madonna, Dream Theater, Marvin Gaye, Pantera, REO Speedwagon, EW&F among others)

Not to mention all of the Guitar Hero ports. But yeah, if you're an Expert player who doesn't usually miss notes outside of difficult songs or solos, you won't notice much of a difference. The bigger thing we sacrifice by not having stems is the ability to tweak the mix and make keys/bass easier to hear.