Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

How about Tuesday the 17th, everyone.

Sorry, I was banned for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Do any of you have an in with a chef/cook/whatever at Superica? I'd love that posole recipe. Its so good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:siren: :siren: NEW THREAD TITLE/THEME : "EAT A DICK, FORD FRY" :siren: :siren:

http://atlanta.eater.com/2015/3/11/8187571/ford-fry-steakhouse-atlanta-abattoir-restaurant

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I never had a chance to try Abattoir. I went to Superica on opening night and paid around $70 for 4 lovely cocktails they didn't know how to make, though.

I've been enjoying Anne's cookbook. Much of it isn't really accessible everyday stuff for affordable middle class eats, but they're good case studies to derive things from.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
gu's dumplings opens tomorrow, plan on swinging by for lunch

http://atlanta.eater.com/2015/3/23/7987919/gus-dumplings-menu-krog-street-market-atlanta

I like their menu choices (pretty much a greatest hits of my favorite dishes from Gu's), but strange choices / price points for what should be a lunch menu.   hope they make it... :/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

I never had a chance to try Abattoir. I went to Superica on opening night and paid around $70 for 4 lovely cocktails they didn't know how to make, though.

I've been enjoying Anne's cookbook. Much of it isn't really accessible everyday stuff for affordable middle class eats, but they're good case studies to derive things from.

abattoir was not a great restaurant by any means, but it really had some spirit. like, the concept (offal, really) was respectable, and the chefs that came through really tried to do it their all.

I don't think any chef there (I think I ate under 3 out of 4 or 5) did it justice, but you could tell they were trying goddamnit. I had some house made buffalo slimjims, some excellent grilled chicken hearts, plenty of pickles and charcuterie, pork rinds, etc. nothing earthshattering, but some unique ways of trying to work with the theme.

what's frustrating about Mr. Fry's takeover is that he's sticking with the theme (meat), but just doing it in the most insufferable generic way possible (steakhouse). So it's like, throw your hands up, Atlanta isn't going to get behind an offal restaurant, let's just give the loving plebs what they want, a goddamn steak. which is his entire business model everywhere.

if you aren't actively bettering Atlanta's dining scene, get the gently caress out. :colbert:

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Hey, so has anyone been to this place yet? http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-priori-seafood-atlanta

It looks mesmerizing based on its reviews. The owner is Russian / Korean but the place is Italian or generic European food? They use all organic produce and never frozen fish. Looks legit!

It's like finally someone figured out people want to venture to Buford Hwy and not eat the cheapest quality ingredients possible. I'll try to go this weekend to scout it out -

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Interesting find. Passed it along to a friend who is a seafood lover. Hoping to get down there in the next few weeks. Thanks!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
very interesting, I'll be curious to see what that place is like

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Hey food thead! I come to you for anniversary restaurant suggestions. We did Miller Union last year (it was fantastic!) and I'm thinking about Restaurant Eugene this year but figured I'd poll you guys for some options first. Whaddya got?

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I am also looking for a recommendation of a good place for someone that does not eat grain that isn't BBQ and isn't TOO expensive (i.e. under $20/plate).

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
I went to Cooks and Soldiers, and loved it.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

roobots posted:

Hey food thead! I come to you for anniversary restaurant suggestions. We did Miller Union last year (it was fantastic!) and I'm thinking about Restaurant Eugene this year but figured I'd poll you guys for some options first. Whaddya got?

Cockentrice is great for two people trying new things together. I had a kind of maple duck gnocchi that was so good it didn't make sense; pancetta whose fatty bits melt like otherworldly butter in your mouth. Not the cheapest, but you could do worse. Unless you eat charcuterie all the time, take the waitstaff's suggestions about what's great.
I was seated next to Big Boi.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

godzirraRAWR posted:

I went to Cooks and Soldiers, and loved it.

Holeman & Finch
Ink & Elm
King & Duke
Ration & Dram

So, check this out, you'll appreciate it :effortless:

http://www.hipsterbusiness.name/

my faves are:

Skull & Badger
Fruit & Lumber
Wolves & Barley

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

Cockentrice is great for two people trying new things together. I had a kind of maple duck gnocchi that was so good it didn't make sense; pancetta whose fatty bits melt like otherworldly butter in your mouth. Not the cheapest, but you could do worse. Unless you eat charcuterie all the time, take the waitstaff's suggestions about what's great.
I was seated next to Big Boi.

was he with this guy?

my friend and I used to bowl with big, he did his website way back when. last time I was chatting with him, he said he took big to cockentrice and big was really not into it at all but tried to be polite as poo poo, was a couple weeks ago. that'd be too funny if you happened to be there at that exact moment too.

He said kevin kept on sending out all this super adventerous food and poo poo (big apparently is really not in to anything remotely adverterous food wise) and then billed them for it.

oh this city we live in

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

roobots posted:

Restaurant Eugene is really good and if you haven't been it's a great pick for an anniversary dinner. There's lots of places in the ATL with great food but not many that both have great food and could be considered "elegant" fine dining; Eugene is one of those places if that's what you're looking for (Baccanalia/Quinones and maybe Empire State South are the others that spring to mind but even ESS can be a bit noisy/hectic and not as intimate as the others).

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Landrobot posted:

Holeman & Finch
Ink & Elm
King & Duke
Ration & Dram

So, check this out, you'll appreciate it :effortless:

http://www.hipsterbusiness.name/

my faves are:

Skull & Badger
Fruit & Lumber
Wolves & Barley

Ahaha holy poo poo

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

was he with this guy?
He was definitely with a similar-looking white couple! Night before Valentine's day, so Friday the 13th. Big didn't seem like being there was his choice. It was soft opening of Superica but Superica didn't actually have any food, so Cockentrice it was! I'm glad.

Also, I've been biking around delivering my own treats to local cooking randos like Jarett Stieber to solicit feedback, because apparently I have an overworked food death wish.

kontona
May 3, 2003

kuskus posted:

Also, I've been biking around delivering my own treats to local cooking randos like Jarett Stieber to solicit feedback, because apparently I have an overworked food death wish.

i follow you on ig and you need to deliver some of those deserts you've been making.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

He was definitely with a similar-looking white couple! Night before Valentine's day, so Friday the 13th. Big didn't seem like being there was his choice. It was soft opening of Superica but Superica didn't actually have any food, so Cockentrice it was! I'm glad.

that's too funny. he'll get a kick out of hearing that from someone else, he said he was super down on himself for dragging him out there after their experience.

man your treats are super nifty. I doubt you want to reinvent your career or anything, but I bet you could make a pretty profitable business out of it. I could see people paying $2.50 for an "artisanal macaroon" at krog st.

speaking of which, I have been daydreaming about opening a hot chicken shack. I don't know what my problem is or why I don't pursue it more. I guess just being too busy with trying to grow my IT business, or lack of experience with food businesses or something - but I feel like those are just cop outs or something :/ should totally just go for it, and now west egg has a chicken place, and H&F announced a chicken place, and bbbbbbbbbbbb

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 2, 2015

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

On the "low overhead" front, apparently one can rent space in Sweet Auburn Curb Market for a paltry sum compared to something like Krog St. My friends SnoBayou now have a more permanent presence there after normally maintaining a spotty weekday schedule with their food trailer. The market's packed at lunch time, but it's also not in the hottest / spendy neighborhoods and it's only 8am - 6pm, which is when normal people work. Parking is also troublesome. I think it'd be fine for a treat test market. I think it would _definitely_ work for hot chicken lunch crowd (competing with the likes of Bell St. Burritos, Arepa Mia, meat pies and Grindhouse) but I neither know business nor food well enough to back up that claim.

Other Sweet Auburn facts:
-White clay is sold in bags at the Asian produce vendor there
-If you eat a boiling hot arepa, the corn cake nor the packaging is enough to stop chicken juice from racing down your arm and into the elbow of your shirt/jacket; YMMV.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Panbury's, the meatpie place at Sweet Auburn is really good.

I noticed the other day that Arepa Mia opened a storefront on College Ave in Decatur in the strip with Trackside and Piece of Cake.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I may be getting a job in Norcross (interview today). Anyone got recommendations for around there?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

On the "low overhead" front, apparently one can rent space in Sweet Auburn Curb Market for a paltry sum compared to something like Krog St. My friends SnoBayou now have a more permanent presence there after normally maintaining a spotty weekday schedule with their food trailer. The market's packed at lunch time, but it's also not in the hottest / spendy neighborhoods and it's only 8am - 6pm, which is when normal people work. Parking is also troublesome. I think it'd be fine for a treat test market. I think it would _definitely_ work for hot chicken lunch crowd (competing with the likes of Bell St. Burritos, Arepa Mia, meat pies and Grindhouse) but I neither know business nor food well enough to back up that claim.

Other Sweet Auburn facts:
-White clay is sold in bags at the Asian produce vendor there
-If you eat a boiling hot arepa, the corn cake nor the packaging is enough to stop chicken juice from racing down your arm and into the elbow of your shirt/jacket; YMMV.

how much does your friend rent for, if you don't mind me asking? I've thought about stopping in the sweet auburn leasing business office a number of times to just get some rough figures, but never have. again, total laziness/cop out. I agree it'd make a great test bed, and I'd happily wager a (smallish) chunk of savings to just give it a shot...

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I may be getting a job in Norcross (interview today). Anyone got recommendations for around there?

Ventulo and I both work in the Norcross area. Depending where you are (what crossroads?), there's a lot of hidden gems to eat at.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

Ventulo and I both work in the Norcross area. Depending where you are (what crossroads?), there's a lot of hidden gems to eat at.

Peachtree industrial and Holcomb bridge road. Thats the closest intersection.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

how much does your friend rent for, if you don't mind me asking?
Finally got an answer back: "most are under a grand." So if you're making $3 profit from each hot chicken portion, a dozen a day are for the roof over your head.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Still need some Fulton county and Norcross places to eat. I think I'm starting at fulton this week.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Still need some Fulton county and Norcross places to eat. I think I'm starting at fulton this week.
In Norcross, Bleu House Cafe / Market. Fulton's pretty big. Can you be more specific?

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

In Norcross, Bleu House Cafe / Market. Fulton's pretty big. Can you be more specific?

I'll be working for Fulton county government. Downtown I guess

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'll be working for Fulton county government. Downtown I guess
You should be able to walk to Sweet Auburn Curb Market as mentioned above! Some great arepas, burritos, burgers, meat pies. If you're there tomorrow, I'll be there at 12:30-1 to say Hi to SnoBayou folks.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

Finally got an answer back: "most are under a grand." So if you're making $3 profit from each hot chicken portion, a dozen a day are for the roof over your head.

I looked into this more last week, apparently sweet auburn isn't taking new vendors. There's a waiting list, and they want you to submit a business plan (or at least idea) to get on the waiting list. I should probably just go ahead and do this, but it was a little discouraging. I looked into Irwin street market too (where bell street was for a while) and apparently the landlord is an rear end in a top hat.

I should look into krog I guess, but I bet rent is over $1k/mo. by a factor of like 3.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

I looked into this more last week, apparently sweet auburn isn't taking new vendors. There's a waiting list, and they want you to submit a business plan (or at least idea) to get on the waiting list. I should probably just go ahead and do this, but it was a little discouraging. I looked into Irwin street market too (where bell street was for a while) and apparently the landlord is an rear end in a top hat.

I should look into krog I guess, but I bet rent is over $1k/mo. by a factor of like 3.

If you need business help, lemme know.

Also, check out what's going in downtown Chamblee soon! Atlanta needs some legit tex-mex places: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/dining-news/southbound-owners-to-open-rosas-tex-mex-revival-in-chamblee-next-month/

There's also a new Whole Foods in Chamblee about to break ground. Along with that new GM plant development/film studio, the whole area is up and coming!

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Looks like Las Brasas is taking over the space where Burnt Fork Barbecue was. I saw them hanging a sign saying Las Brasas restaurant and bar earlier today on the side of the building.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Update: I went to A-Priori Seafood and it loving sucked. It's one of those weird restaurants, but not in a good way. Don't waste your time. Their positive Yelp reviews have to be padded by friends or unsavvy yelpers unaware of restaurant options inside the perimeter.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

Update: I went to A-Priori Seafood and it loving sucked. It's one of those weird restaurants, but not in a good way. Don't waste your time. Their positive Yelp reviews have to be padded by friends or unsavvy yelpers unaware of restaurant options inside the perimeter.

that's just such a horrible goddamn name, I don't even feel bad for 'em

they better just pack their bags and get their a-- posteriori's outta town AHAH WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOYYYYYYYYYY, WHATTAA NAME

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
We went to Wagaya last night on 14th St. Sushi was great, ramen was ok, and atmosphere and decor was nice. We probably would have liked it better if the wait staff were a bit more attentive. It wasn't that busy, and they hardly checked on us or filled our waters. I could tell they hired all young girls for the staff but none of them were experienced because they all hung out in a little huddle near the door and I had to flag them down when I needed something. I'd hate to see it if the place ever became busy.

The other issue was my wife found a piece of plastic in her ramen which really soured the whole meal for her. On the plus side, my sushi platter was really great, with maki rolls of tuna instead of the usual california roll, which I really appreciated. It gave it a much more authentic Japanese touch. All the fish was very fresh and tasted great. I really loved the chopped whitefish maki roll. It had that slight sweetness to it, that really fresh fish has, so I'll definately be going back, but maybe I'll just sit at the sushi bar instead of table service. Salmon was especially good to, which is my sushi weakness.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

that's just such a horrible goddamn name, I don't even feel bad for 'em

they better just pack their bags and get their a-- posteriori's outta town AHAH WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOYYYYYYYYYY, WHATTAA NAME

looks like someone has been playing a lil too much GTA5

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Homegrown is closed due to what I would imagine is drunk driving.

Video of the crash is on Homegrown's Facebook page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
that sucks pretty bad, right down the street from me - we were walking home from H.Harper not an hour earlier. our neighborhood forum is blowing up with contractor types offering to bid on repairs. -_-

at least they caught the woman!