Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
The Tom Hanks movie tribute felt like blatant Fallon viral video fodder but I admit I laughed when they got to Cloud Atlas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Okay, it wasn't as horrible as I expected, but there's plenty of room for improvement.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm DVRing tonight's episode, mostly because Modest Mouse is the musical guest but also to see how the show's going. Nothing I've seen of Corden's so far has really sold me on the dude, but we shall see.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
Wasn't watching closely, was new guy pretending to drink his own piss? And if so, is that really a first week joke?

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S
With all the money they're apparently throwing at this, you'd think they could at least get a tailor. The suits they have this poor guy in look ridiculous. The arm holes on that blazer have to go somewhere below his moobs, he looks like a muppet. At least Pete Holmes worked to his strengths in this area...

Edit- Pizza bit: when some "celebrity" you've never seen before shows up at your apartment with a camera crew and asks if you want the boring old pizza you just ordered, or the "MySteRy BoX"??? Everyone is shocked, including the celebrity who can't stop knee-slapping, when you say the "mystery box" ....hilarity ensues when you look confused as these strangers then invade your home.

Letterman's welcome: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/david-letterman-james-corden-watch-late-late-show-video-1201458633/

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 25, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Oh god, he came back for Monday's show!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, so I honestly do enjoy Corden's format of having both guests on at once and doing skits with both of them at the same time, but I can also see how that could easily go very wrong. I guess it remains to be seen if the show can pull it off long term, but I like that concept at least.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Alright, so I honestly do enjoy Corden's format of having both guests on at once and doing skits with both of them at the same time, but I can also see how that could easily go very wrong. I guess it remains to be seen if the show can pull it off long term, but I like that concept at least.
Yeah I just watched it and quite liked it. I don't get CBS so I doubt I'll be carving out time to stream it but it's a fun little bit of what-have-you. That said it's kinda mind-blowing how Jimmy Fallon has changed the talk show landscape. Namely, if you're a celebrity, going on a talk show just to talk is no longer gonna cut it, you have to be down for playing games too.

edit: Fallon, Vieira, and now Cordon. Anyone else doing this bit?

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 25, 2015

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

On the Graham Norton Show, where they usually have three or four guests on at the same time, I've honestly never seen it go wrong. It seems like they put a lot of thought into who goes on the show with who, so they can bounce off each other. It's common to have a really good show with, say, a huge Hollywood film star, a British comedian and a British musician, the latter two being people the Hollywood star has never heard of. And somehow it works.

But that show is a weekly show that only runs for 6 months of the year, so they've got time to plan it out. Also there aren't any "skits" that could fall flat, it's just talking. And they edit out the boring parts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

paint dry posted:

On the Graham Norton Show, where they usually have three or four guests on at the same time, I've honestly never seen it go wrong. It seems like they put a lot of thought into who goes on the show with who, so they can bounce off each other. It's common to have a really good show with, say, a huge Hollywood film star, a British comedian and a British musician, the latter two being people the Hollywood star has never heard of. And somehow it works.

Like I said, I think having a comedian every single week is absolutely key to the part where it never goes wrong.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Like I said, I think having a comedian every single week is absolutely key to the part where it never goes wrong.

Yeah, definitely. I'm just making the point that you can have a show with three guests who have absolutely nothing in common and it can work. I guess Parkinson did the same thing back in the day, but that was slightly different.

paint dry fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 25, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

paint dry posted:

But that show is a weekly show that only runs for 6 months of the year, so they've got time to plan it out. Also there aren't any "skits" that could fall flat, it's just talking. And they edit out the boring parts.

Norton lets the celebs do their thing without a lot of interference.

I was disappointed that Dave didn't give O'Reilly a hard time. gently caress it, Dave, you only have 8-10 weeks left.

And I'm done with TLLS. I could barely get through the monologue last night because Cordon's voice was causing my ears to bleed.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Is that Steve Cropper playing guitar in Reggie Watts's band? If so, :drat:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

pwn posted:

Yeah I just watched it and quite liked it. I don't get CBS so I doubt I'll be carving out time to stream it but it's a fun little bit of what-have-you. That said it's kinda mind-blowing how Jimmy Fallon has changed the talk show landscape. Namely, if you're a celebrity, going on a talk show just to talk is no longer gonna cut it, you have to be down for playing games too.

edit: Fallon, Vieira, and now Cordon. Anyone else doing this bit?

doesn't Kimmel do it as well?

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S
^^^ occasionally, although it's much less gimmicky and more focused on the guests, a la that celebrity guessing game he does from time to time. He actually has the most enjoyable show in late night now, imo. His approach to the monologue runs circles around everyone else. With the exception of Conan, who still has great shows from time to time, I really don't care about anyone else, although I am still optimistic about Colbert. It will be interesting to see how he takes the show out of character.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Dammit Jimmy you almost humanised R-Money there.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I really want Letterman to have something to say about his home state of Indiana legalizing discrimination.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Steve Vader posted:

I really want Letterman to have something to say about his home state of Indiana legalizing discrimination.

I sure loving hope he does. I'm Indiana born and bred, and one of the people that this lovely law is discriminating against.

gently caress my state goddamn.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I, too, hope a late comedian validates my opinions by taking a stand on a controversial political issue.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Irish Joe posted:

I, too, hope a late comedian validates my opinions by taking a stand on a controversial political issue.

Fuckin weird, I was just hoping Irish Joe would weigh in on that talking point!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

For a moment I thought Irish Joe was saying Letterman was dead.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress the haters, Monday's episode of The Late Late Show was really good.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

EnsGDT posted:

gently caress the haters, Monday's episode of The Late Late Show was really good.

There are LLS haters? Corden has been doing pretty well.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

JohnSherman posted:

If your daily or nightly show is not very good in three episodes, there is no hope for improvement and you need to be taken off the air immediately.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Crazy Ted posted:

If your daily or nightly show is not very good in three episodes, there is no hope for improvement and you need to be taken off the air immediately.

All CBS and Fox execs are secretly goons.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

He did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2uvs_5NTGA

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

JohnSherman posted:

I watched last night's episode and I was pretty surprised by how enjoyable it was, but it's not "stay up til 1:30" enjoyable for me like Craig was.
Also, boy was Aubrey Plaza a terrible guest.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

raditts posted:

I watched last night's episode and I was pretty surprised by how enjoyable it was, but it's not "stay up til 1:30" enjoyable for me like Craig was.
Also, boy was Aubrey Plaza a terrible guest.
She usually is... she has the personality of tree bark.
All she did was try to become wallpaper sitting between Lt. Dangle and Chandler Bing

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
She was really great on Meyers a few months back when she was promoting that grumpy cat movie. Like one of my favourite interviews of Seth's show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well apparently the Lip Sync Battle from Fallon's Tonight Show has spun off into its own show now. The first episode featured Jimmy and The Rock. I haven't seen it but apparently The Rock did Staying Alive by the Bee Gees so my question is how are they even going to have another episode when it will no doubt be impossible to top that?

The Rock may be the greatest living man on the planet.

EDIT: I take back what I said about it having nowhere else to go, looks like the next episode has Common dressed up as Lionel Richie. I might have to track this show down.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 3, 2015

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Brian Stack, the guy who's been doing sketches on Conan for a longass time , is moving to Colbert :blush:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Geno posted:

Brian Stack, the guy who's been doing sketches on Conan for a longass time , is moving to Colbert :blush:
Yeah, I saw his goodbye reel earlier :( Brian McCann left a while back, so between him and Stack, what characters is Conan even going to have left at this point?

The only ones that I thought were absolutely hilarious every single time they were on at this point were the Basic Cable Name That Tune guy (Stack), Minty The Candy Cane That Fell On The Ground (played by McCann but Stack sung the theme song) and Wiki Bear (voiced by Stack). Now those are all gone.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He also did Frankenstein and Artie Kendall, the slightly racist singing ghost on the Late Night show. Hopefully Colbert will put him in good use, dude's really funny.

E: I just realized that Artie Kendall is like the proto-Wikibear. Only funnier. Hitlery-hoo!

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 3, 2015

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Geno posted:

This is really depressing to me. It feels like the true end of an era. On the bright side, maybe Brian McCann will come out of hiding and join him over at Colbert? I guess I will definitely be checking out Colbert's show now, but it will be really strange to see either on anything except Conan.

At least Coco still has Andres du Bouchet and the occasional Eddie Pepitone.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Yeah, I saw his goodbye reel earlier :( Brian McCann left a while back, so between him and Stack, what characters is Conan even going to have left at this point?

The only ones that I thought were absolutely hilarious every single time they were on at this point were the Basic Cable Name That Tune guy (Stack), Minty The Candy Cane That Fell On The Ground (played by McCann but Stack sung the theme song) and Wiki Bear (voiced by Stack). Now those are all gone.

Conan losing wiki bear is a goddamned travesty.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Well apparently the Lip Sync Battle from Fallon's Tonight Show has spun off into its own show now. The first episode featured Jimmy and The Rock. I haven't seen it but apparently The Rock did Staying Alive by the Bee Gees so my question is how are they even going to have another episode when it will no doubt be impossible to top that?

The Rock may be the greatest living man on the planet.

It's available on demand. I'm in the middle of it now, and while I have no doubt Rock doing Bee Gees in full Saturday Night Fever dress will be epic, it'll be hard to top his first song. Kind of an obvious choice, I grant, but he killed it all the same.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, it seems weird, but I'd guess Colbert has a lot more money to offer, and also gets to offer New York. It seems weird to poach such an iconic Conan writer, though, for what is essentially the same gig. I hope it doesn't become this thing where Conan is just kind of an also-ran. There was some article somewhere recently that said "Conan O'Brien Is Irrelevant But He Doesn't Have To Be" that made me feel sad, like the classic late-night format he's always revered is the thing that's holding him back now. Seeing Al Franken's earnest praise of Dave as a great broadcaster with great respect for the position he stewarded makes me think about how much Conan wanted to be that, and how he would also have the respect that Dave had for it. I think Colbert will, too, but something just feels off about this weird smaller permutation of Conan's lifelong dream.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If there's anything holding Conan back it seems to be himself mostly. When he's on he's the best but drat if he doesn't seem like a guy who just doesn't give a gently caress anymore.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Man, Corden is really growing on me. I really enjoyed his remote episode from Tommy's house. Even though it took all my suspension of disbelief to override my film production cynicism about what goes in to doing a location shoot haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Does Stack have some history with Colbert, or am I just concocting memories?