Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

coolmancraig posted:

Good point. I'll see if I can have a look at both back to back and go for the better of the two. I also prefer the colour of the one you linked but the motor looks a little worse for wear - missing the radiator shroud and generally looks dirtier. If I go for the silver one I'll use the other to get him down a bit on the price.

I have my e30 325i in manual so this will be more for long journeys/cruising - it's replacing a commodore.

Having done some research of my own I can see that the oil pump bolts can sometimes back off causing low oil pressure and a loud tick. Anything else?

I'm not as big a fan of maroon as silver, but the overall condition and records is what you should base a decision on. That ding in the bonnet that Black88GTA pointed out was a good catch, these are the kinds of things that you can use to talk down. AFAIK the M60s are pretty stout, the usual sort of tyre kicking checks should apply I guess? In my experience E34s eat up front suspension so that's something to have a look for as well.

Edit: found this in Sydney http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/canterbury/cars-vans-utes/1997-v8-540i-cherry-red-bmw-only-116-000km/1071071012 :barf:

hawaiian_robot fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doogle
May 24, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm actually really excited about it. 2011 fully loaded 335is with DCT and 15k miles. Going to put a JB4 tune on as soon as we get it and probably throw some MPSS tires on there. Anything else you guys recommend?

After the JB4 an LSD is the best mod. MFactory ones are about $2k plus core, but it is only about a 2 hour job in the garage. It totally transforms the car though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm actually really excited about it. 2011 fully loaded 335is with DCT and 15k miles. Going to put a JB4 tune on as soon as we get it and probably throw some MPSS tires on there. Anything else you guys recommend?

Start looking for M3/M4's for 6 months down the road :v:

Once those tires are used up

Jealous Cow posted:

My girlfriend won't let me buy her a new car. She drives a piece of poo poo Corolla and it makes me sad.

My wife owned not one but two MK1 MR2s before I met her. One RHD, one LHD. Also a Saleen Foxbody Mustang at one point. She's pretty cool.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 1, 2015

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Don't buy a car for your girlfriend, you'll never see that money again

Thankfully I learned that lesson cheap, since it was an e30

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Money spent on not-your-car is money lit on fire

of course, money spent on your car is also money lit on fire, but you get to warm your hands around that blaze at least

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Comrade Flynn posted:

I bought a thing for my wife:

Well it's not another Volkswagen but it is very handsome. I'm seeing more of the appeal of the turbo I6's and gaining respect for them. They're extremely capable of wrecking most everything else on the road.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

So I'm in a jam here. My 1995 530i won't unlock with the key.

I pull the exterior handle up on the driver door and the interior light comes on. I turn the key counter clockwise in the driver door lock and nothing happens. I turn the driver door lock all the way clockwise and it makes the noises you would expect as it activates all the locks.

I've tried the emergency unlock procedure but i can't get the lock to budge.

Another twist is that the original key for the car is in the ignition because I have that problem where if I take it out, I might have to spend a good 15 minutes getting it to turn and start the cars so I leave it in.

Also, the driver door is not the original. The original driver door developed that problem where the door check rips out so I replaced the door with one from another car so it has a different key than the rest of the car. I have that key in my hand but it suddenly does nothing now.

So the key for the passenger door and trunk is in the ignition and the key for the driver door is in my hand but will not unlock the door.

I even called my insurance and the company they sent out couldn't do anything because they were trying to unlock the car with the interior locks but the car is double locked so that does nothing. Neither of the two guys they sent out had a slim jim which I think should have worked if they had one.

What do I do? This loving sucks.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

FIRST TIME posted:

So I'm in a jam here. My 1995 530i won't unlock with the key.

I pull the exterior handle up on the driver door and the interior light comes on. I turn the key counter clockwise in the driver door lock and nothing happens. I turn the driver door lock all the way clockwise and it makes the noises you would expect as it activates all the locks.

I've tried the emergency unlock procedure but i can't get the lock to budge.

Another twist is that the original key for the car is in the ignition because I have that problem where if I take it out, I might have to spend a good 15 minutes getting it to turn and start the cars so I leave it in.

Also, the driver door is not the original. The original driver door developed that problem where the door check rips out so I replaced the door with one from another car so it has a different key than the rest of the car. I have that key in my hand but it suddenly does nothing now.

So the key for the passenger door and trunk is in the ignition and the key for the driver door is in my hand but will not unlock the door.

I even called my insurance and the company they sent out couldn't do anything because they were trying to unlock the car with the interior locks but the car is double locked so that does nothing. Neither of the two guys they sent out had a slim jim which I think should have worked if they had one.

What happens exactly? Does the key "feel" normal when you turn it? My '94 840 will unlock all doors and open the windows if you hold the key in the unlock position.when unlocking the doors with the key. Maybe try that?

It could be that you have a bad door handle - a rather well known problem on my BMW is an issue that causes the door handle to not open the door, even when unlocked. Traced to a lovely pivot in the handle that breaks.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I tried turning the key all the way to the unlock position and holding it but nothing happens. I wouldn't be surprised if the handle was broken but shouldn't the car still unlock when I turn the key if that were the case?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

FIRST TIME posted:

I tried turning the key all the way to the unlock position and holding it but nothing happens. I wouldn't be surprised if the handle was broken but shouldn't the car still unlock when I turn the key if that were the case?

If it feels normal otherwise, what may be happening is that it may be technically unlocking with the key. But if you have a broken handle, it won't engage and actually open the door. I had to spend a couple embarrassing weeks climbing into my car from the passenger side while I waited for a repair part to arrive due to this. If it's stopping where it's supposed to but feels too easy to turn, it's possible the lock linkage has become disconnected (or broken) somehow.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

So I'm thinking the tensioner on my 540I is what went bad. Lower pulley on the tensioner wouldn't move when installed, but because it was pissed against the power steering pulley. I pulled everything apart and all pulleys spin freely. Does that sound like a thing that can happen?

Also broke the water pump pulley removing the fan. Dammit.

Ahem. Sorry, I was typing from my phone last night.

When I tried to spin the lower tensioner pulley by hand when the tensioner was installed, it wouldn't budge and felt like it was pressed against the power steering pulley.

(The one in the lower middle is the one that wouldn't budge and it was pressed against the power steering pulley, bottom right)

When I removed the tensioner and pulleys, everything spins freely.

The tensioner is a weird setup that has two pulleys on it.

Am I right in assuming that is what happened?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

revmoo posted:

Yup, this.

Also I want to heap more hate on the auto trans. You're either looking at a rebuild or a manual swap, both of which put the car way outside of a reasonable price for what you get. Keeping the existing auto isn't an option because the (GM!!) units in these things are absolute garbage and rarely make it to 150k.

I'm pretty sure they're zf units in the m3s considering the gm ones could barely hold the torque of the m52

Also you guys are incredibly picky for people buying $4k cars, which is your choice of couree, it's your money but it's gonna be a long long time to find the unicorn that is a cheap BMW with an actual service history

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ahh did not realize the automatic Ms had a ZF box.

Anyway, BMWs are insanely cheap in my area at the moment, I'm constantly seeing cheap 328s, 540is, etc for less than 2500 bucks. No records obviously, but 2500 on a car and 2500 in parts gets you a pretty decent runner.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

rscott posted:

I'm pretty sure they're zf units in the m3s considering the gm ones could barely hold the torque of the m52

Also you guys are incredibly picky for people buying $4k cars, which is your choice of couree, it's your money but it's gonna be a long long time to find the unicorn that is a cheap BMW with an actual service history

Note I said nothing in my post about the one I purchase being cheap. The point I was attempting to make is that if you wanted to make that particular example the ultimate driving machine again, it would end up costing more than one with a sorted maintenance history.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

I bought a thing for my wife:

Can I also be your wife? I make a mean omelet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
getting a clunk while braking at low speeds in my e30. sounds like it's coming from the right rear, could it be that the pad is loose? parking brake shoes?

I need to rebuild my rear subframe/trailing arms with new bushings, wheel bearings and calipers.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

getting a clunk while braking at low speeds in my e30. sounds like it's coming from the right rear, could it be that the pad is loose? parking brake shoes?

I need to rebuild my rear subframe/trailing arms with new bushings, wheel bearings and calipers.

Make sure to put the slotted trailing arm adjusters in while you're doing that job. Eccentrics are trash.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

El Scotch posted:

Can I also be your wife? I make a mean omelet.

:a2m:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

I need to rebuild my rear subframe/trailing arms with new bushings
Problem spotted.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It still sounds like a brake issue, as far as the noise goes. I'm sure I'll find out once I pull it all out and drop another few hundred bucks on rebuilt calipers, maybe a medium case 4.10 with new clutches, reinforced trailing arms, ect.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

FIRST TIME posted:

[...]but the car is double locked so that does nothing.

In my 86, double locking puts a pin through all the lock mechanisms with a solenoid, which if that's the case, a slim Jim won't do poo poo.

Honestly I have no idea except maybe break a rear window and use the original key in the truck lock to (hopefully) undouble lock it?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

EAS's instagram posted:

europeanautosource
5 hours ago · european auto source
A quick sound clip of the S65 V8 M4 revving.

https://instagram.com/p/08RlU9lexf/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'll take 5 :stare:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's cool and all but... the E90 M3 already feels big...

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I, uh, huh. Why would you do this?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fixing the factory's mistakes.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
did you guys know gullible is not in the dictionary

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

HUH WHAT REALLY

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Crustashio posted:

drat, i got gotten.

They should have used a ISF engine cover or something.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

mafoose posted:

In my 86, double locking puts a pin through all the lock mechanisms with a solenoid, which if that's the case, a slim Jim won't do poo poo.

Honestly I have no idea except maybe break a rear window and use the original key in the truck lock to (hopefully) undouble lock it?

That's actually a really good idea. I almost broke the window earlier today but chickened out because I hate being wasteful, plus I realized that I probably wouldn't be able to start the car anyway if it's still double locked.

Is it pretty certain that you can unlock the double lock from the trunk? If that's the case , then gently caress it, I'll break the window. I've got a spare window anyway.

The front passenger door lock is jacked up, so I wouldn't count on being able to unlock the car that way but if the trunk lock will unlock the car, I'll be in business.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 2, 2015

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Crustashio posted:

:boom:

It worked because it's *almost* feasible that someone would legit do it. (and a pretty solid bit of 'shooping helped)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Pulled the serp belt off; it feels as though it runs smoother and I don't hear this weird clank when I goose it.

Still have the ticking/engine sound behind the driver's front wheel though.

This weekend gonna pull the injectors and clean them up best I can, cycle with a 9v battery, all that.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crustashio posted:

Goddamnit, got me.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FIRST TIME posted:

So on this car, double locking means there is no way to unlock the doors from inside? Like, you could entrap a passenger in the vehicle?

This probably won't make you feel any better, but the day I bought my e30 11 years ago, I double locked the only key in the trunk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's why the manual explicitly says not to lock the doors with anyone inside the car.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Lightbulb Out posted:

HUH WHAT REALLY

I mean obviously that's an old one but if you look it up there's no entry for gullibility on wikipedia. There's a bunch of dudes who seriously make a concerted effort to delete any articles that get made about it so that you can tell people there's no article about it on wikipedia and no one will believe you, but it's true.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean obviously that's an old one but if you look it up there's no entry for gullibility on wikipedia. There's a bunch of dudes who seriously make a concerted effort to delete any articles that get made about it so that you can tell people there's no article about it on wikipedia and no one will believe you, but it's true.

Uh huh

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Make sure to put the slotted trailing arm adjusters in while you're doing that job. Eccentrics are trash.

Any experience with the slotted adjusters? The subframe is bent on my E30 and I figured if I have to swap it, may as well make the new one adjustable. Seems like those might be kind of easy to knock out of alignment.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Started doing the lower control arms on the 540. the front arm bushings are done too, so i'm doing it all. The only store in down that can even order them wants $260 a piece for the forward lower control arms so now the entire thing is fuckin stalled waiting for parts from rockauto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Dyscrasia posted:

Any experience with the slotted adjusters? The subframe is bent on my E30 and I figured if I have to swap it, may as well make the new one adjustable. Seems like those might be kind of easy to knock out of alignment.

The eccentrics knock out of alignment just as easily, and then you end up with dynamic rear toe and camber like me!

I don't have the slotted ones on my car yet, but I know a couple people who have them and have had 0 issues with slippage. If I recall, those are the stock set up on the E28 M5.