Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005

Phone posted:

I tried (emphasis: past tense) to clean a seat I just bought with my parents' "steam cleaner". Its an old Bissell Green Machine that apparently has a heating element, but the water coming out the noozle was colder than the water that was in the tank. So I just bought this Actual Steam Cleaner: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G00BTEA

How much a bad mistake did I make? How much of a pain in the rear end is it to use an irl steam cleaner? I did a minimal amount of research before pulling the trigger and all I know is that I should use a microfiber cloth as a buffer.

Seconding ratbert's comment. I have the model beneath it and love it. I clean my entire car with it. Works great on leather, but don't hold it on one spot too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
GG6 with 10 foot cord Amazon Lighting Deal - $79.95 for another 3 hours and 20 minutes.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I have a new car.
I have a heated garage that is kept around 60F/15C - which is as low as it will go for various reasons.
I live where they liberally salt the roads.

What is my best course of action to prevent pre-mature corrosion?

Should I just leave the car outside and deal with getting in a cold car every once in a while, or rinse off the car every week or so (either at home or at the local self-wash)? I've heard that the self-washing places recycle/filter the water and I'd be rinsing it off with water that has a non-zero salt content, defeating the whole purpose of rinsing it off. I also feel like on a cold dry winter day when the car is also dry, if I rinse the car off and drive it home while it's semi-wet, it will pick up a bunch more salt on the 2-minute drive home and exacerbate the problem more than if I had just left it dry.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is Dr. Color Chip the best option to fix those inevitable paint chips around the nose that cars pick up from road gravel? Or should I just get some factory touch-up paint and clear coat and make sure the area is incredibly clean and follow instructions to the letter?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Is Dr. Color Chip the best option to fix those inevitable paint chips around the nose that cars pick up from road gravel? Or should I just get some factory touch-up paint and clear coat and make sure the area is incredibly clean and follow instructions to the letter?

I say it's good to about 15 feet if done correctly. I like it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ratbert90 posted:

I say it's good to about 15 feet if done correctly. I like it.

I did it on my white BMW and green/blue metallic Toyota. More like 1 foot, anything further is invisible. I really think I could make it within inches in the BMW if I'd apply it a couple more times to build it up.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Hey guys, like a big dumb jack-a-ninny I left my newly purchased car wash stuff out in my car and it froze last night. I had a Meguiars clay bar kit, and some Meguiars shampoo & conditioner out there. It says right on the box of the clay bar 'Do Not Freeze' so I'm worried that the detailing spray that came with the clay bars are now hosed up. The clay bars weren't frozen solid, as I was still able to indent them with my hands. Does anyone know if this means my stuff is hosed, or will I be alright if I let them warm up slowly inside the house?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've never had a problem with that and I keep all of my supplies in a freezing garage. I know you're not supposed to but I've never seen any issues.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Yea they worked. I think they mean not to let the stuff freeze solid so it breaks like bricks.

Also, Meguiars car shampoo and conditioner smells like shampoo and conditioner I'd use in my hair. Wonderful. While I was drying and waxing I noticed there is a load of contaminants in the paint, and a good and thorough clay baring is required, but gently caress that is mega effort. I think I'll do a baring of a section every wash, every two weeks until the car is done. How often should I wash the car? Every two weeks?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 1, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

How often should I wash the car? Every two weeks?

Depends on where you're at, where you keep the car, how much you drive the car and what kind of conditions you drive it in. Bottom line -- when it's dirty.

In Ohio Winters, I wash my poo poo about ever 2 months. Not the best, but I've got good base coats and sealants on both cars, so meh.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

What's the best method to remove shopping cart trauma from black paint? I just watched an old fuckface rear end in a top hat buttfucker piece of poo poo motherfucker bounce a shopping cart off the font of my miata. I yelled at him and he scuttled off like a piece of poo poo cockroach that he is.

e: I know it sounds petty, but I work so hard for what I have and to have someone just poo poo all over something I love makes my irrationally angry.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 1, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Taco Box posted:

What's the best method to remove shopping cart trauma from black paint? I just watched an old fuckface rear end in a top hat buttfucker piece of poo poo motherfucker bounce a shopping cart off the font of my miata. I yelled at him and he scuttled off like a piece of poo poo cockroach that he is.

e: I know it sounds petty, but I work so hard for what I have and to have someone just poo poo all over something I love makes my irrationally angry.

That's not irrational, I would have caught him and kept him until the cops came.

Pictures would help, but if it's scuffs, it may be transfer from the cart, not into your paint. Try a gentle cleaning agent like Simple green and a microfiber to see if it comes off. If it does even a little, try a Magic Eraser and follow with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, then polish.

Again, though, seeing the pictures of the damage may change what I just said.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is there anything I can do to make this paint look better? The areas on the top of the car are dull and faded looking, but it all matches the sides when it's wet.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Salt is a protective coating, right?

It's going to be about a week until it's warm enough to even hose that off.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Is there anything I can do to make this paint look better? The areas on the top of the car are dull and faded looking, but it all matches the sides when it's wet.

Polish it and give it a good wax. It'll look as good as it does wet all the time.

Do you have a DA polisher or access to one? You could do a decent job by hand too, but it'll be a lot of labor.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Anyone have any insight to the Adam's line of products?
http://www.adamspolishes.com

He's got a bunch of videos of his products, and there seems to be a ton of them, but everything seems so ridiculously overpriced, I can't bring myself to buy any of it without some sort of input besides the reviews I see on the site.

FWIW, his glass stuff and waxes look amazing...

Edit: Sorry if Adam's has been brought up before, but I don't want to read through 41 pages, and search isn't helping right now.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I have used Adam's stuff almost exclusively for about 5 years and have found it all to be very good. I also like some of Chemical Guys and Shine Supply stuff. Chemical guys is a bit cheaper but I have not found anything I like as much as I like Adam's stuff.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
This might sound like a dumb question but I'm pretty new to detailing. I really want to learn though - so I'm borrowing a DA from a friend.

My question is - I have a 2013 (black, ugh) vehicle I'm going to be detailing. The paint is in really good condition but has some very faint swirl marks. They're not all over the car, but noticeable in some spots. Do I need to use Ultimate Compound for this? Or can I skip right to Ultimate polish? I'm assuming the compound is overkill for a newer car when the paint is in good shape already but I'm still learning in all this. I was going to use the ultimate polish with a meguiars polishing pad. I don't think I need the cutting pad for this one but this is just based on my gut, not anything factual.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

This might sound like a dumb question but I'm pretty new to detailing. I really want to learn though - so I'm borrowing a DA from a friend.

My question is - I have a 2013 (black, ugh) vehicle I'm going to be detailing. The paint is in really good condition but has some very faint swirl marks. They're not all over the car, but noticeable in some spots. Do I need to use Ultimate Compound for this? Or can I skip right to Ultimate polish? I'm assuming the compound is overkill for a newer car when the paint is in good shape already but I'm still learning in all this. I was going to use the ultimate polish with a meguiars polishing pad. I don't think I need the cutting pad for this one but this is just based on my gut, not anything factual.

Always use the least-aggressive product needed for the application. Try the UP and if you need more action, try UC.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I am currently bombing my car with the Meguiars air refresher fogger. It got decent reviews on some groups I read so I figured I would try it. Worst case I ruin my entire car.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
I'm trying to rebuild my car wash supplies after several moves and not using stuff for years. I have a basic list going so far, anything else I should be looking for? I have the Harbor Freight DA Polisher for application.

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss Car Wash Soap
Gilmore 95QGFME Foam Gun
Mothers Clay Bar System
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax (not so sure about this, anything else I should be looking at?)
2x Green, Blue, Red Chemical Guys HexLogic Pads
Cyclo Scrub Brush - Stiff
Chemical Guys Tire and Trim Gel
Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Wheel and Rim Cleaner (already have Royal Brown, should I even bother with this?)
Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
Aerospace 303 Protectant

Does anyone wax their wheels? Thoughts on it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Kinfolk Jones posted:

I'm trying to rebuild my car wash supplies after several moves and not using stuff for years. I have a basic list going so far, anything else I should be looking for? I have the Harbor Freight DA Polisher for application.

Stuff

Does anyone wax their wheels? Thoughts on it?

1) Stuff looks fine.

2) I wax all of my wheels, outside and inside. I just use a crappy Meguiars Paste Cleaner Wax that works well for the crap that builds up on the insides of the barrels. I maintain them with Zymol's Wheel Coat that I guess works, but idk. I get it for free, so I use it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Need a fresh clay bar, anyone try these?

http://www.amazon.com/SODIAL--Detai...ailing+clay+bar

This is also a pretty good deal but I have so many extra detailing sprays from similar deals:

http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-07240...ailing+clay+bar

$12.93 prime, $10.99 "subscribe and save" whatever that is.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

What's a good product for cleaning up tires and making them black again? The tires on my C7 are dingy and brown and I want to get them looking good again. I need to get more waterless car wash ordered so I want to add in some tire prep products at the same time

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gorson posted:

Need a fresh clay bar, anyone try these?

http://www.amazon.com/SODIAL--Detai...ailing+clay+bar

This is also a pretty good deal but I have so many extra detailing sprays from similar deals:

http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-07240...ailing+clay+bar

$12.93 prime, $10.99 "subscribe and save" whatever that is.

Subscribe and save means they send you a new one on a regular schedule and auto-bill you for it.

I've been using this http://www.amazon.com/Simoniz-S57-Perfect-Finish-Detailing/dp/B0081OSRQQ

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LordOfThePants posted:

What's a good product for cleaning up tires and making them black again? The tires on my C7 are dingy and brown and I want to get them looking good again. I need to get more waterless car wash ordered so I want to add in some tire prep products at the same time
I like Armor All aerosol foam. Specifically the aerosol foam, not the other kinds they make.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

LordOfThePants posted:

Bleech White, despite the name, is the best thing I've come across that doesn't give the tires a shine but makes them nice and black again. Spray on wet tire, brush with stiff bristle brush, and rinse off. May take a couple passes if they are really dingy.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

LordOfThePants posted:

What waterless car wash product do you use? I have a garage at my apartment, but no access to a hose. Being able to clean the pollen and dust off my car a couple times a week would be nice.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

InitialDave posted:

I like Armor All aerosol foam. Specifically the aerosol foam, not the other kinds they make.

Yes this stuff is the poo poo. Wouldn't touch any other Armor All product either, this stuff is an exception. You get that black "fresh rubber" look rather than a shiny or greasy look. Also the label says not to wipe off but I do--let it set for a few minutes and then wipe off with a microfiber.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

What waterless car wash product do you use? I have a garage at my apartment, but no access to a hose. Being able to clean the pollen and dust off my car a couple times a week would be nice.

I've been using Blackfire Wet Diamond Waterless Wash and I like how it works. Get the big jug though, you can go through a sprayer bottle in a couple goes if you're doing the whole car.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I use Optimum No Rinse, and you can use it to make quick detailing spray too. It also smells nice.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I use Optimum No Rinse, and you can use it to make quick detailing spray too. It also smells nice.

That's what I use too, although I use the Wash and Wax version (which is a green liquid instead of the blue).

Midway through last year I started using Duragloss Aquawax when drying so I will probably switch to the standard Optimum No Rinse.

A 32 ounce bottle lasted me from March to January and that was washing my C7 once per week from May to November. I don't wash my Forester nearly that much but I'm buying a gallon next time.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MomJeans420 posted:

Seconding (or thirding) this. It's good stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've used Meguiar's D115 a few times to good success. It's nice that it has a wax component too, so you can basically clean and put a fresh coat of spray wax on in one step.

I didn't use it as many times this winter as I was planning on since the cold and slop was unremitting which would have made washing in any form pointless, but I can certianly see myself using it more this summer to touch up light dirt to have to do a full bucket wash less frequently.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So please forgive me if I say something stupid or trivially Google-able but I'm just getting started. I think this question is in fact so stupid that even the excellent OP doesn't lower itself to answer it.

I've bought a Griots 6.5" polisher from a local store and I'm looking for stuff to make it work.

My target is to polish out a bunch of swirls and light scratches in the paint of my black '97 Miata (which is single stage). As far as I can tell it's all factory paint.

I've used a clay bar on cars a few times before over the years and will pick up a fresh pair of Meguiar's ones before getting started.

So far I've figured out that I need, at the very least, a polishing compound (I've chosen Meguiar's Ultimate Compound because it's readily available and is reportedly pretty forgiving) and pads.

The pad bit is where things go wrong for me. The polisher says that it comes with a "hook and loop backing pad" (aka Velcro) but none of the pads I see for sale say whether or not they're compatible with that backing pad.

The pad I'm looking at is the Hex-Logic 6.5" medium polishing pad. I'm assuming this just slips over top of the backing pad that came with the polisher and is retained with the Velcro. Is that correct, or do I need to be more selective in terms of compatibility other than size?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm phone posting, but google any YouTube how to polish video and it will explain pretty well.

Its just Velcro.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I need recommendations for a good leather cleaner. However, the issue is the leather in my car is cream colored -

Will normal stuff work or will it dye the leather?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

I need recommendations for a good leather cleaner. However, the issue is the leather in my car is cream colored -

Megs D101 + soft bristle brush will clean it right up.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

u got a dog on your leather you might wanna address that issue first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Comrade Flynn posted:

I've had good luck with both Lexol and Griots and neither has ever left a noticeable dye... The leather might be a touch darker during application because it's getting conditioned/moistened, but it's a natural look that lessens with buffing and then over a few days. Admittedly I've never used them on Italian leather, but I've used Lexol on high end american leathers like Horween Chomrexel without issue.

Chinatown posted:

u got a dog on your leather you might wanna address that issue first

:frogout: