Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

looks like a good doggy imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Chinatown posted:

looks like a good doggy imho

He's The Best.

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Conditioner-Restorer-Protector-Applicator/dp/B00HWIZO6I/ref=zg_bs_15718561_2

That stuff good?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Top Amazon Review posted:

Leather Nova left the red couch looking wet and shiny after completely buffing it and it was dry to the touch.
Lexol left the green couch feeling almost the same and it was flat, not shiny after complete buffing and dry to the touch.

Blah shiny leather you might as well just spray a bunch of armor all on it you monster.

If you really want to be fancy you could always get some Obenauf's, which is what I use on my shoes and old codgers love it like they love Lexol. It has a dauber!

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Long shot, but can anyone recommend a good mobile detailing service in the Bay Area??

I'd like to get my car cleaned/detailed, however I don't have time on the weekends, and obviously weekdays = work :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
What if we do want to dye the leather, or at least a big scuff?

I really don't care much about the normal wear and tear marks, but I bought that seats with a big scuff on it and I'd be happy if I could blend the color a bit without leaving anything on my jeans.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I use http://www.amazon.com/Zymol-Treat-L...her+conditioner as a conditioner after using http://www.amazon.com/Zymol-Z507-Le...leather+cleaner as a cleaner. I've never had any issues with it, but both need to be applied / rubbed in by hand to get the best result.

Cage posted:

What if we do want to dye the leather, or at least a big scuff?

I really don't care much about the normal wear and tear marks, but I bought that seats with a big scuff on it and I'd be happy if I could blend the color a bit without leaving anything on my jeans.

Black is easy. Get a good spray leather dye, spray it on and wipe it off as soon as you put it on. It'll wipe right off the top surface and stay to color the scuffs and lines.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Now that it's warming up, I keep going back and forth on whether or not to drop some money on new toys. I have a PC 7424xp right now and it works fairly well, but the reviews of the new MT300 have been pretty glowing and it's tempting me.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Comrade Flynn posted:

I need recommendations for a good leather cleaner. However, the issue is the leather in my car is cream colored -

Will normal stuff work or will it dye the leather?

Can you post more pug in a Lambo images? It's something I enjoy immensely.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Change windshield banner from cats exotics to dogs exotics.

edit: pugs exotics

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

At least he's using two buckets.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

At least he's using two buckets.

Please don't post gifs of me TIA.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
for leather cleaning I just ran into this: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/89733-dp-hi-intensity-apc-plus-vs-10-year-old-leather-seats.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That was just filth, though, not a leather issue. It looks like a smoker's car and the leather is in perfect condition, but covered in grime. I bet you'd get the same result with some Simple Green on that car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can you get Gliptone leather products in the US?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I use that swissvax leather poo poo. It's unbelievable.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

That was just filth, though, not a leather issue. It looks like a smoker's car and the leather is in perfect condition, but covered in grime. I bet you'd get the same result with some Simple Green on that car.

That was directed more at Comrade Flynn. I should have been more specific :unsmith:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Need some help! I've got a PORTER-CABLE 7424XP, is there a pad/compound abrasive enough to get rid of this?

Last year I learned just enough to detail my car, so if there isn't a pad/compound for the porter cable that can handle this how should I go about removing it? The other cars paint is coming off with my fingernail, but I can still feel the indentation.

I go out of my way to park in places where I'm less likely to be hit and some rear end in a top hat still managed to do this and not leave their insurance info. I hate people.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 4, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can you feel it with a fingernail?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

That's into the metal, at least at the start. There's no fixing that without respray. :(

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

InitialDave posted:

It's definitely noticeable by touch, in the second picture you can see a spot where I used my fingernail to remove a bit of the paint or whatever it is from the other car, but it still remains rough to the touch so I'm assuming after I get all the paint off the scratch line will still be there.

It doesn't appear to have gone completely through the paint, the white line is from the other car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm, if it's mostly paint transfer from the other car, I'd at least have a crack at it. See what some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound can do for you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I don't see contact from another car, I see a straight keyjob. :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Meguiars microfiber system is AMAZING for removing big defects like that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

I don't see contact from another car, I see a straight keyjob. :shrug:
But like he says, you can see where he's able to rub it off?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

But like he says, you can see where he's able to rub it off?

Most key jobs I've seen start with a deep section, then the key-er gets nervous and backs off and the rest of the scratch trails off. I can't tell from those pictures, but that's what it looks like to me.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

If it is a key scratch someone has a really steady hand, I mean the line isn't completely straight but someone would have had to put some effort into it by the looks of it. If it is a key scratch it would be even more hosed up because it happened in a parking lot where something like that shouldn't be happening.

Ordered some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, have to give it a try at least.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
If it's paint transfer I'd use a claybar, then a magic eraser, then rubbing compound up to finishing polish. Top it off with fresh sealant and it'll be gone. You can do it all with microfiber rags, don't need a buffer.

Also big ups to the Zymol leather cleaner + conditioner combo. Works great.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finally got some pictures of the messed up paint on my fenders. Assuming it hasn't been resprayed (Hooray for buying mystery cars with no history!) it's factory single stage black paint.

This side, I'm assuming that's just the paint wearing off.

The other side however has some weird hazing. Any idea what the heck this is?

Bonnet is covered with tiny chips too but I'm hoping I can compound them out?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Any prevailing opinions about Meguiar's Paint Protect 365? I've only seen a handful of reviews online. Most seem to be discussions around whether beading is better than sheeting -- it sounds like PP365 repels in sheets rather than beads.

In any event, I'm trying it out. It's extremely easy to apply, harder to wipe off namely because it doesn't haze and you can't see what you've wiped.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I saw it in a store and was interested in it, but was a little gun shy at a coating that was that cheap. I my get some and try it on my beater first.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

FYI, Autogeek is doing one of their 15% off with free shipping sales until Friday night. Use code TAX15. This is a "no exclusions" sale so it's one of the few times you can actually get a discount on a polisher (except for Rupes polishers).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Is there a limit to how many times you can have a wheel refinished? Just dropped a painted alloy on a rough asphalt surface and seriously wanged one of the spokes. I think it's already been refinished once.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Cloth interior. Owned by perpetual smoker. Dakota Odor Bomb, yes or no? Any particular scent if yes?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Cloth interior. Owned by perpetual smoker. Dakota Odor Bomb, yes or no? Any particular scent if yes?

I would pick up a cheap ozone generator if you can. They permanently kill every single drat odor/any possible mold spores completely the first time. And you can use them around the house!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ratbert90 posted:

I would pick up a cheap ozone generator if you can.
How cheap can I get away with? Would an ebay special like this work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OZONE-GENERATOR-Fruit-Vegetable-Sterilizer-Fresh-O3-/320724176379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aaca68dfb

I'm intending to see how my "normal" cleaning regime does at first. This is a very low-investment situation, so I'd rather use what I have on the shelf, but if I do need to go further, will do so.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

How cheap can I get away with? Would an ebay special like this work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OZONE-GENERATOR-Fruit-Vegetable-Sterilizer-Fresh-O3-/320724176379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aaca68dfb

I'm intending to see how my "normal" cleaning regime does at first. This is a very low-investment situation, so I'd rather use what I have on the shelf, but if I do need to go further, will do so.

Eh, I would get a cheap one off of amazon that has decent ratings.

This is the one I got, but there are cheaper ones on amazon for sure.

16.83£ Got good reviews as well.

Basically remember that in high concentration Ozone is toxic and isn't a great thing to breath. I would blast the poo poo out of the interior with it for a few hours, then open the car windows and let it sit for another hour.

Edit*

Another thing you could do for the low cost solution is to find a local detailer who has a ozone generator, and have him ozone your car for the 20£

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 15, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hah, that one you got is not far off what I paid for the car! Like I said, this is tightwad mode. Paying someone is right out, under £20 for something I can use again myself is acceptable as a last resort. If the only thing that'll stop it smelling completely is spending more money... It can stay smelly.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Hah, that one you got is not far off what I paid for the car! Like I said, this is tightwad mode. Paying someone is right out, under £20 for something I can use again myself is acceptable as a last resort. If the only thing that'll stop it smelling completely is spending more money... It can stay smelly.

Basically cig smoke is one of the hardest things to properly get out, and Ozone is the only thing I have found that get's it 100% out. It works with every other smell as well though, so you could use the ozone generator in your house as well.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Do ozone generators cause brain damage from displacing oxygen? I used to have one back in the day and my buddy said it was bad juju. Smelled like a weld shop in my apt, so I assume it's probably not good...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Taco Box posted:

Do ozone generators cause brain damage from displacing oxygen? I used to have one back in the day and my buddy said it was bad juju. Smelled like a weld shop in my apt, so I assume it's probably not good...

It can if you sit there and huff it. As I said earlier, throw it into whatever room/car you want, close the doors/windows, and once it's done, open all the doors and windows and let it air out for an hour or so.

edit*

If you are interested: Information about ozone.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 16, 2015