Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Bieeardo posted:

I think the Numenera tabletop material is poorly designed and written. I also suspect that the tighter narrative focus and one player, whole party approach of CRPG design will go a long way toward mitigating that.

I'm pretty sure at some point they said that they intended to take the things they liked from Numera [the setting, the Tide system] and use that in the game and build from scratch the things that they didn't like/wouldn't work in a videogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AnonSpore posted:

Soooooooooooooo what you're saying is that it was meant to be the next Fallout

The next Curse of the Azure bonds, actually.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yodzilla posted:

Why. Why would anyone want Latisha back in TJ&E.

I would much prefer Lewanda or Sharla as the female character.

Truthfully I'd prefer to play as Smoot more than anyone else but that's me, I guess.

Maybe Otis.

Definitely not Latisha, though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

Hah, I know exactly what you're talking about. :( :( :(

The other thing I had to reload for was to grab the pistol that was hidden in the camp that I didn't know about until I looked at the guide. I am glad I did; it sold for some decent copper when I finally got into the game proper.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I personally regret backing their second KS waaaaay more than the Yogventures one or any other, to be honest.

What happened with it?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nothing, its still early in development but there hasn't been any problems yet. If anything its good so far because the gameplay teaser they showed gave off the right Torment vibes.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

InExile cut a deal to start using the PoE engine from their next game rather that whatever they rolled together for Wasteland 2, right?

I vaguely remember it being mentioned the Obsidian and InXile pooled resources to develop Unity into an isometric RPG engine.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

khwarezm posted:

What happened with it?
People that didn't like W2 have decided that Torment is going to be disappointing as well. That's about it. There's been nothing in any of the updates that suggest it's going to be anything other than great.

Of course that will be disappointing as some people seem to expect the second coming of Christ.

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

I vaguely remember it being mentioned the Obsidian and InXile pooled resources to develop Unity into an isometric RPG engine.
From what I've seen it sounds more like they just share ideas back and forth. Not sure if you could really call it pooling resources.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkhold posted:

People that didn't like W2 have decided that Torment is going to be disappointing as well. That's about it. There's been nothing in any of the updates that suggest it's going to be anything other than great.

Of course that will be disappointing as some people seem to expect the second coming of Christ.

What I've seen from the Torment videos so far it looks much more polished and has a lot of resemblances with PoE. I think at the very least it will be good but a lot of it hinges on whether they've learned from the Wasteland 2 skill tree debacle. PoE's is almost picture perfect.

Darkhold posted:

From what I've seen it sounds more like they just share ideas back and forth. Not sure if you could really call it pooling resources.

As above, I hope a lot of the sharing is how they do the combat systems, PoE's system is very good and very versatile and I hope they borrow it.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
The Witchmarsh guys just linked the main theme of their game. It's delightful.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Darkhold posted:

They apparently got access to Obsidian's dialogue-building toolset, for setting up branching/reactive conversations, so that's a positive sign.

Now we just have to hope the actual writing is up to par.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

SaltyJesus posted:

The media for that game has always been great. I just hope they manage to squeeze in a fun game as well.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

What I've seen from the Torment videos so far it looks much more polished and has a lot of resemblances with PoE. I think at the very least it will be good but a lot of it hinges on whether they've learned from the Wasteland 2 skill tree debacle. PoE's is almost picture perfect.

What they've shown so far is basically just the non-combat parts of PoE, which makes sense as they licensed the PoE systems but will need to do the combat from scratch since they're going turn-based. Which is fair enough. They have also specifically said that Numenara just flat out doesn't work as a videogame without some creative interpretation and that they'll be elaborating on it. so if Numenara is bad then that doesn't really have any bearing on Torment 2.

I went into the project very cynical, and still am, because the list of stunt writers they were reeling off during the Kickstarter seemed kind of untenable for a joined up project, as does the apparent geographical divide between the creative team. But I backed it because I'm definitely into what they're aiming for. Like Pillars it's the kind of game where, if they get it right, it'll be my favourite game ever and even if they get it wrong then it's still fundamentally my kind of thing.

Kevin Saunders wrote this forum post about the writing process for Wasteland 2 and what's likely to be different with Torment, which I thought was interesting. They're definitely aware of people's concerns about the writing in any case.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also lmao if you honestly want to pretend they didnt do everything they could to link the kickstarter project to Fallout in everybodys mind, because seriously nobody played Wasteland 1

I thought that too, but then I went looking for examples to post and couldn't find any. Did you have better luck?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

SaltyJesus posted:

SO nice!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

http://imgur.com/a/3YD2D#4

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Those comics are actually having the opposite of the intended effect on me, to be honest.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Great Rumbler posted:

Those comics are actually having the opposite of the intended effect on me, to be honest.

I seriously thought it was a parody of the whole events at first.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
It doesn't really matter who's writing them at this point because nobody wants to hear from either of these people anymore. I don't think they know that, though.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I thought he finished the book :confused: I could have sworn ages ago when I saw people talking about this he'd finished the book and it had bad editing and he came off like an idiot sometimes, but there was some good info from devs despite that. Or were people talking about some kind of advance preview?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Great Rumbler posted:

Yeah one comic is enough to make a point. 3 is obsession, especially if it's not actually being made by someone involved in the whole thing.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

On the plus side, the EVE book is really coming along, but he's stopping it mid-2012 because people are less talkative about more recent interactions.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I thought he finished the book :confused: I could have sworn ages ago when I saw people talking about this he'd finished the book and it had bad editing and he came off like an idiot sometimes, but there was some good info from devs despite that. Or were people talking about some kind of advance preview?
The book was released last summer.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

crazypeltast52 posted:

On the plus side, the EVE book is really coming along, but he's stopping it mid-2012 because people are less talkative about more recent interactions.
Awesome. He interviewed me for about an hour, hour and a half last year and I hooked up him with contacts to people he hadn't been able to find that were politically powerful in the first two years of the game.

I didn't actually back it, but I'll be interested to see what it looks like when it's done.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Look if he wanted his money back he should have found a nun to get it for him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Great Rumbler posted:

Everything anyone involved in this has said has made me root for the other guys. Nobody could be more unlikable if they tried.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Mirificus posted:

The book was released last summer.

Why are all these comics talking about it like he's never going to finish then? Are they just releasing them like a year after they drew them originally?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The book that was released was volume one of two. Volume two is still in the works. Maybe that's what they mean? The strips are awful. Just awful by the way.
The only good thing, is that, if the last Kickstarter update of that project is something to go by, the court was held in Febrary and the decision is expected early next month. Maybe we will be done with the stupidity from both sides then.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Why are all these comics talking about it like he's never going to finish then? Are they just releasing them like a year after they drew them originally?

The dialogue in those comics is paraphrased or taken verbatim from KS updates or correspondence from both parties, so yeah, it's all old/outdated. I have no idea why this guy decided to start writing about it now, or at all. The author started courting gamergate people a little while back, so I'm guessing he's one of them.

The author decided to split the book into three volumes pretty close to release; the first volume is out, the other two are TBA because he decided he'd earned an indefinite holiday after delivering the first one. He made a bunch of claims against the interpreters that implied they were trying to seek an injunction on the book but I don't think any of those claims were accurate.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kenshin posted:

I didn't actually back it, but I'll be interested to see what it looks like when it's done.

Backed it and upped for a hardback. Mainly for the history that was happening around the youth that I was losing.

I'm cautiously optimistic about that one. The updates are pretty interesting.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Darkhold posted:

Yeah, that's a really impersonal way of talking about Chris Avellone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This one looks interesting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1738689949/star-bored-adventures-in-a-bureaucratic-dystopia

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I still haven't beat the character creation boss in wasteland. I can't get to grips with the system. I'm still glad I backed though as it helped pave the way for Pillars of Eternity, which I'm still not very deep in but have loved every minute of so far. I've also backed torment and hold some faith it'll be good. I'm not sure it will beat Eternity, but if it gives me a decent game to play when I finish eternity ill be happy.

What I'm really looking forward to is Obsidians next kickstarter.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I played the beta when InXile were trying to figure out how to make Wasteland's stat system work in the present day without meaningfully changing it and, well... I knew then it wasn't gonna work out between us.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Litany Unheard posted:

My concern for the new Torment is that, when they looked back at Wasteland for ideas on how to build the sequel, they kept a lot of outdated and unfun gameplay systems. A long list of redundant skills, trap skills that are sub-optimal or useless, and the need to hyper-specialize each character to meet skill checks are all outmoded and only fun for a weird subset of gamers who want a game that only they know how to play "right" (also the combat sucks and there is endless amounts of it. My favorite skill in the game is the one that lets you skip battles in the world map).

This won't happen because of the system. Anyone can attempt any task, training just makes it easier. A person with maximum training can easily be caught up with if you're a) lucky or b) apply effort. They could just design the checks so that the target numbers are so high that you can only succeed with max training and with the application of effort, but they'd have to go out of their way to do that, so I can't imagine it'll happen commonly.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
When I click on a trap in Pillars of Eternity my best trap picker goes over and tries to pick it.

When I click on a trap in Wasteland 2, the last person I clicked on goes over and blows his dumb rear end up, even though I have the whole group selected, plus then after the trap you need a safe cracker and an electrician and a lock picker who isnt a safe cracker all to get through the door because why not

e: one game is just better than the other is my point

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

When I click on a trap in Pillars of Eternity my best trap picker goes over and tries to pick it.

When I click on a trap in Wasteland 2, the last person I clicked on goes over and blows his dumb rear end up, even though I have the whole group selected, plus then after the trap you need a safe cracker and an electrician and a lock picker who isnt a safe cracker all to get through the door because why not

e: one game is just better than the other is my point

Even better is in PoE it isn't your best trap picker, it's your closest trap picker that has enough skill to disarm it safely! (At least for chests, 80% sure it applies to traps too)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I also like that if you come up against a trap you can't disarm on a chest , it will ask you if you want to trigger it. You can get your whole party out of the way of nasty AoE if need be.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It looks made in RPG Maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Great Joe posted:

It looks made in RPG Maker.

I'm pretty positive they're using RPG Maker VX Ace. Also that title graphic, eesssh.