Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What if Kaladin falls for Adolin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Torrannor posted:

What if Kaladin falls for Adolin?

Now that would be an unexpected development contributing toward conflict in relationships!

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Speaking of Sanderson writing about relationships, new (non-cosmere) novella comes out today.

Perfect State

quote:

God-Emperor Kairominas is lord of all he surveys. He has defeated all foes, has united the entire world beneath his rule, and has mastered the arcane arts. He spends his time sparring with his nemesis, who keeps trying to invade Kai’s world.

Except for today. Today, Kai has to go on a date.

Forces have conspired to require him to meet with his equal—a woman from another world who has achieved just as much as he has. What happens when the most important man in the world is forced to have dinner with the most important woman in the world?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

From the excerpt posted:

I took a deep, calming breath. It didn’t work. “Fine. Fine, whatever. Pick one of the women from the list. We’ll meet, get this over with, and I’ll return to my life.”

“Which one do I choose?” Besk asked. “The one the Wode thinks is most compatible?”

“Lords, no,” I snapped, walking away. “Pick the one on the bottom of the list. I might as well have an interesting time of it.”

:allears: Well I'm interested. If anyone plans to read this, I'd love your thoughts.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

cams posted:

It most likely will because romance is part of the human story and there are only so many ways to tell a dramatic tale of love.

I think the fairest complaint anyone could have is that there are very few likely outcomes that are good for Adolin. I think one of the best case scenarios would involve Shallan getting ~*~*~feelings~*~*~ for Kaladin and confronting him about it and Kaladin going "yeah i feel some of that too but uh i have, almost literally, gone through hell and now have real power to change the world for the better so i'm gonna do that and ignore all that" and that would be the end of that.

See that's the key though, it's PART of the human story and your proposed best-case scenario is a way to handle it that isn't on the level of melodrama I was talking about.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Raimondo posted:

Speaking of Sanderson writing about relationships, new (non-cosmere) novella comes out today.

Perfect State

Holy poo poo, I just read this. A Sanderson book with nudity? And ready world cursing? And an awesome blend of something I can't even talk about because it would spoil stuff? This is going to rival Emporer's Soul as my favorite novella of his.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Other authors come up with April fools titles and fake releases. Sanderson writes an entire novella as an April fools troll to his critics.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Hasn't Sanderson already said that Adolin will have a book in the second series? I wouldn't say that's proof that he won't be an antagonist, but it's definitely not his style to spend a ton of time in antagonists' heads. I'd really, really love this if it were the case, but if someone's a bad guy or going to turn into a bad guy, it's usually pretty clear, and he writes the characters with a particular voice if they get a PoV. And, unfortunately, has never fleshed them out to near the detail that he has Adolin. Heck, Demandred was his most interesting and sympathetic bad guy ever.

So yeah. I'd love it and think it'd be something Sanderson could easily write, but I don't see it happening.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Raimondo posted:

Perfect State

Very excited about this. Got it on my Kindle, the amazon reviews sound really good, should finish Homage to Catalonia today so I can read this over the long easter weekend.

He has an insane writing speed, aren't we getting Rithmatist II this year too?

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 1, 2015

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Holy poo poo, I just read this. A Sanderson book with nudity? And ready world cursing? And an awesome blend of something I can't even talk about because it would spoil stuff? This is going to rival Emporer's Soul as my favorite novella of his.

I really want a sequel. Or an entire saga. That is amazing. How does he have so many ideas in his head?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
How is he so good at writing perfectly sized books. I want more. I want so much more. Yet I know that it would be incredibly difficult even for Sanderson to write a full series at that breakneck pace of plot perfection. It's concise, well written, I loved pretty much everything past the first few pages. The twist was a fantastic punch go the gut.

I desperately want more but can't see how it could live up to that.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 1, 2015

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I'm glad I decided to check this thread today. Can't wait to read that now based on all the positive impressions.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Apparently "no form of the word "blush" appears in the novella."'

Which is a step forwards at least.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Apparently "no form of the word "blush" appears in the novella."'

Which is a step forwards at least.

I thought she does at some point. Oh I think it was 'flush', in the same sense as 'blush'.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Just finished Perfect State. It's really good, but that end. Talk about mood whiplash.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Welp, that was different but good. Holy crap, that ending was amazing. It's such a older sci-fi feeling ending.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Both Steelheart and Firefight had at least one scene with nudity and one curse word (non-sexualized and a pretty benign "drat", respectively, in each case but still)

I am now really interested in this Perfect State book. How many more Sanderson series can I follow?! :ohdear:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Other authors come up with April fools titles and fake releases. Sanderson writes an entire novella as an April fools troll to his critics.

White Wolf used to do similar things:
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Dudes_of_Legend:_How_to_Be_Fucking_Awesome

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

I am now really interested in this Perfect State book. How many more Sanderson series can I follow?! :ohdear:
Well... Perfect State takes like an hour to read even if you're average reader.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What formats are his store? If I get it today I'll read on an iPad so would want ePub or pdf. If I wait for the weekend Id read it on a kindle and need mobi.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Tahirovic posted:

Very excited about this. Got it on my Kindle, the amazon reviews sound really good, should finish Homage to Catalonia today so I can read this over the long easter weekend.

He has an insane writing speed, aren't we getting Rithmatist II this year too?

Also the second Wax and Wayne Mistborn book in October.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

berenzen posted:

Just finished Perfect State. It's really good, but that end. Talk about mood whiplash.

Yeah, given what happened, there wasn't enough wind-down to actually do any closure. Needed to be either longer or shorter, imho.

Hughlander posted:

What formats are his store? If I get it today I'll read on an iPad so would want ePub or pdf. If I wait for the weekend Id read it on a kindle and need mobi.

His personal store seems to let you pick epub or mobi; all the other stores seem to just have one or the other. (I used smashwords.)

Of course, if you have epub and need mobi, just download Calibre and convert it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chamberk posted:

Also the second Wax and Wayne Mistborn book in October.

I was really bummed out by just how short Alloy of Law was considering how long the Mistborn books are. :/

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I prefer it. The first mistborn had great pacing but the second (moreso then the third) and the third suffered. Alloy keeps its focus in sight.

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
I ended up staying up really late last night reading Perfect State and drat, was it worth it. I feel like Sanderson has come so far since Elantris.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

I ended up staying up really late last night reading Perfect State and drat, was it worth it. I feel like Sanderson has come so far since Elantris.

Yessssss. It was so good.

Finally read Sixth of Dusk too. Good poo poo.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

Aaaauuuugh that mood whiplash! I was even expecting it, and I was completely blindsided. So good.

Fake edit: Sanderson obviously excels at the novella form, it seems all his best work is in that format. He really knows how to write a short, punchy, concise story and pack it with intrigue and action.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I didn't really like the forest something novella(too lazy to check name),sixth of dusk or new legion, but Perfect State was pretty good. Emperor's Soul was super good of course, it's what I recommend for people new to Sanderson these days (Emperors Soul ->Mistborn 1 (rest later)->Stormlight Archives is the best path in my opinion).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sixth of Dusk just left me wanting more, the setting, world and magic system felt more interesting than the story and characters in it.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Avalerion posted:

Sixth of Dusk just left me wanting more, the setting, world and magic system felt more interesting than the story and characters in it.

Welcome to Sanderson.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy

The Lord Ruler was a Terrisman feruchemist - was he also a keeper, or whatever term they had during Alendi's time?

Sazed was also a Terrisman feruchemist but he was able to fix the world. I guess the Lord Ruler only wielded part of Preservation's powers built up at the well of ascension, and then any time he tried to fix his mistakes he was blocked by Ruin? The book said that Sazed fixed the orbit of the planet based on star charts from his metalminds, I guess the Lord Ruler didn't have that information when he changed the orbit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mewse posted:

The Lord Ruler was a Terrisman feruchemist - was he also a keeper, or whatever term they had during Alendi's time?

Sazed was also a Terrisman feruchemist but he was able to fix the world. I guess the Lord Ruler only wielded part of Preservation's powers built up at the well of ascension, and then any time he tried to fix his mistakes he was blocked by Ruin? The book said that Sazed fixed the orbit of the planet based on star charts from his metalminds, I guess the Lord Ruler didn't have that information when he changed the orbit.

I believe they were called the 'worldbringers', but I'm not sure if he was technically part of them. His uncle was a botanist worldbringer.

Yeah, basically. TLR used the power for a very short period, and didn't have a clue what he was doing. Rather than repeatedly burn up energy playing yoyo around the proper orbit, he basically got it close enough and compensated with the ecosystem.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

mewse posted:

1. No
2. The Lord Ruler was pretty much an idiot who though he could make things better and when he did he kept loving up more until he decided to stop trying to make things better and just make things bearable. Ruin seemed to just enjoy watching him gently caress things up because it furthered his own ends. The fact that the Lord Ruler used Ruin's own specialty to make his inquisitors is basically the best possible example of how dumb he was even after having briefly held a piece of omniscience.

After finishing the trilogy I was annoyed by the "what if Frodo kept the ring" thing because it's more like what if Faramir decided to kill Frodo, used the ring to take control of Middle Earth and did some Ainulindale-grade reshaping of the world while Melkor watched on from his prison and laughed.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Evil Fluffy posted:

1. No
2. The Lord Ruler was pretty much an idiot who though he could make things better and when he did he kept loving up more until he decided to stop trying to make things better and just make things bearable. Ruin seemed to just enjoy watching him gently caress things up because it furthered his own ends. The fact that the Lord Ruler used Ruin's own specialty to make his inquisitors is basically the best possible example of how dumb he was even after having briefly held a piece of omniscience.

After finishing the trilogy I was annoyed by the "what if Frodo kept the ring" thing because it's more like what if Faramir decided to kill Frodo, used the ring to take control of Middle Earth and did some Ainulindale-grade reshaping of the world while Melkor watched on from his prison and laughed.

And that's why i liked Mistborn. The lord ruler wasn't very good at what he did! And Vin did exactly the same thing!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Thyrork posted:

And that's why i liked Mistborn. The lord ruler wasn't very good at what he did! And Vin did exactly the same thing!

Yeah, most of books 2-3 is Vin and Elend screwing up horribly.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

Also with regards to Sazed vs. the Lord Ruler:
Sazed gets the powers of both Ruin and Preservation after Vin and Ati (the dude who had Ruin's powers up until then) both die and is thereafter known as Harmony. Even if TLR had been equipped with star charts etc. Ruin would have found a way to gently caress it up and stop him from making things nice, just like he did when Vin was trying to fix stuff during her brief stint as the holder of Preservation.

mewse
May 2, 2006

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Also with regards to Sazed vs. the Lord Ruler:
Sazed gets the powers of both Ruin and Preservation after Vin and Ati (the dude who had Ruin's powers up until then) both die and is thereafter known as Harmony. Even if TLR had been equipped with star charts etc. Ruin would have found a way to gently caress it up and stop him from making things nice, just like he did when Vin was trying to fix stuff during her brief stint as the holder of Preservation.

I didn't catch on to the Harmony label, thank you. I liked how the atium cache depleted Ruin's powers to match Preservation imbuing humanity.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mewse posted:

I didn't catch on to the Harmony label, thank you. I liked how the atium cache depleted Ruin's powers to match Preservation imbuing humanity.

You couldn't catch that if you did not read the fourth Mistborn book, which takes places a few centuries after the events in the trilogy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh, I just started that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mewse posted:

Oh, I just started that one.

Good news: two sequels to that in the next 12 months.