Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The showrunner is the guy who created Spartacus, so this'll probably be close

The showrunner is the guy who created Spartacus, so this'll probably be close

Oh gently caress me I forgot about that. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Teek posted:

Hell yeah, really hoping for the best.

Give DeKnight Daredevil season 2, combine the other shows into Heroes for hire, then give DeKnight a co-showrunner on Punisher and maybe add Moon Knight or Cloak and Dagger and that would be a killer "season 2" for the Netflix shows.

I wonder how many shows Marvel could manage at once. Money needn't necessarily be a factor (I guess the shows are funded by Netflix and not Marvel/Disney? even so, if they're amazing successes, they can expand)... talent would be, especially for showrunners and stuff. I almost feel like the sheer logistics could be the biggest limiting factor. That and demand/audience size, I guess.

I just wanna see them run a loving dozen shows simultaneously at any given time, is that too much to ask? :smith:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's kind of sad that because all of Marvel's movies are doing so well and everything is in a shared universe that means we can't get any tv shows for a lot of the more popular properties. So no Cap tv show, no Iron Man, no Spider-Man and so on. Still, I hope we get stuff beyond street level grim'n'gritty heroes since that seems to be the focus for the first wave of Netflix stuff - Iron Fist possibly the exception. I'd love to see a Runaways tv show. Or Gravity. Or Captain Marvel. Hell, give me a Starjammers tv show. I'm all in favor of lots of tv shows, I just hope they have a bit more variety in tone and genre than the first wave seems to indicate.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Are Starjammers tied up with the X-Men license? Anyone know?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tensokuu posted:

Are Starjammers tied up with the X-Men license? Anyone know?

I mean, the captain is Cyclops' dad, so probably? I kinda always figured they were, never heard anyone else suggest otherwise when it came up. They're pretty tied up with X-Men characters and lore, I'm pretty sure Fox owns a sizable chunk of the Marvel cosmos, like the Shi'ar empire.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Everything I've seen from Daredevil makes it look pretty sweet. Marvel's TV has been kind of lackluster thus far, with weird character priorities.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
I don't think I've seen this Daredevil tv spot posted anywhere yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deWnUVb7HMY

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Deakul posted:

Oh gently caress me I forgot about that. :sweatdrop:

Cock status: Raging

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tsob posted:

It's kind of sad that because all of Marvel's movies are doing so well and everything is in a shared universe that means we can't get any tv shows for a lot of the more popular properties. So no Cap tv show, no Iron Man, no Spider-Man and so on. Still, I hope we get stuff beyond street level grim'n'gritty heroes since that seems to be the focus for the first wave of Netflix stuff - Iron Fist possibly the exception. I'd love to see a Runaways tv show. Or Gravity. Or Captain Marvel. Hell, give me a Starjammers tv show. I'm all in favor of lots of tv shows, I just hope they have a bit more variety in tone and genre than the first wave seems to indicate.
It would be nice, but it may be too hard a sell. The street level shows have a great selling point in that they aren't overly effects heavy. Everything I've seen from Daredevil has good production values, but doesn't look expensive. I'm not sure what the financial situation is with these shows, but I'm almost certain that less is being spent per episode than Agents of Shield.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Cock status: Jupiter's :black101:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

XboxPants posted:

I mean, the captain is Cyclops' dad, so probably? I kinda always figured they were, never heard anyone else suggest otherwise when it came up. They're pretty tied up with X-Men characters and lore, I'm pretty sure Fox owns a sizable chunk of the Marvel cosmos, like the Shi'ar empire.

Well, there was that really weird in-name-only Starjammers series from a decade or so ago that seemingly existed so Marvel had a Starjammers property they could license independently of X-Men, but I don't think anyone is referring to that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Starjammers are almost certainly under the Fox agreement as the ties to X-Men are pretty much universal. The Starjammers are great and if Fox were smart they would have started thinking of how to get that property onscreen after Guardians of the Galaxy. They're not known for being very smart though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Angry Sky Status: Raining Blood :black101:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 3, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does anyone know if these shows are intended to be one offs, or if there is a chance of additional seasons? Seems to me like the way they are doing it is that this is structure like "Marvel: The TV Show" with each story being one of five seasons.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Starjammers are almost certainly under the Fox agreement as the ties to X-Men are pretty much universal. The Starjammers are great and if Fox were smart they would have started thinking of how to get that property onscreen after Guardians of the Galaxy. They're not known for being very smart though.

Is it though? I don't think thats exactly the case. Look at how Quicksilver was in Fox's DofP and was/is appearing in marvel's A2. I read somewhere that it was possible simply by referring to either his real name or his codename and not calling him a 'mutant' which Fox had rights to. And we know Pietro's family tree.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

zoux posted:

Does anyone know if these shows are intended to be one offs, or if there is a chance of additional seasons? Seems to me like the way they are doing it is that this is structure like "Marvel: The TV Show" with each story being one of five seasons.

The answer, I can only imagine, is "however many remain profitable." If Daredevil is super popular, then why wouldn't they make more? They have content, and sequels are way easier to make than new poo poo.

The one-offs will be whatever series underperforms. Which may be none of them.

Have they cast Iron Fist yet? Seems like that's a decision they'd have made at this point since Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones are already accounted for.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

UberAaron posted:

It would be nice, but it may be too hard a sell. The street level shows have a great selling point in that they aren't overly effects heavy. Everything I've seen from Daredevil has good production values, but doesn't look expensive. I'm not sure what the financial situation is with these shows, but I'm almost certain that less is being spent per episode than Agents of Shield.

Variety said that Disney will spend 200 million over 3 years on all 5 shows.

lomzus fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 3, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Is it though? I don't think thats exactly the case. Look at how Quicksilver was in Fox's DofP and was/is appearing in marvel's A2. I read somewhere that it was possible simply by referring to either his real name or his codename and not calling him a 'mutant' which Fox had rights to. And we know Pietro's family tree.

It doesn't have anything to do with technicalities like that. If that was the case they would have made Spider-Man an Avenger already under the same premise.

It's because Quicksilver is largely an Avengers character, associated with that franchise as much as, if not moreso than, the X-Men franchise. When Fox made the purchase, they didn't just get a vague "everything x-men" license, they also got a very long list of specific things that do or don't fall under that umbrella. The very detailed contract that Fox and Marvel worked out apparently allowed for both of them to use a few characters like Quicksilver.

Similar things for the Fantastic Four franchise - Fox owns the specific character of the Super Skrull exclusively, but MCU is technically allowed to use the broad Skrull race if they want to so long as they don't use the characters that Fox owns.

But that's probably not the case with the Starjammers, since they're pretty much only an X-Men thing. Like, Professor X has been on the team at one point.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

UberAaron posted:

Honestly Agents of SHIELD has never looked as good as it should, given the resources available. Person of Interest (or Hannibal) look a lot better, Arrow and Flash look about as good (but are much cheaper), and that's before you go to cable stuff.

200M over 3 years for 60 episodes is pretty standard for cable / Netflix.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Budget wise we're often terrible at guessing. Stephen Amell has mentioned that Arrow's budget was cut in half after its first season.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Honestly Agents of SHIELD has never looked as good as it should, given the resources available. Person of Interest (or Hannibal) look a lot better, Arrow and Flash look about as good (but are much cheaper), and that's before you go to cable stuff.

I like Arrow and Flash quite a bit but the sets on those do look way cheaper than anything on AoS. Clothing and costumes and stuff do, too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ambivalent posted:

I like Arrow and Flash quite a bit but the sets on those do look way cheaper than anything on AoS. Clothing and costumes and stuff do, too.

I don't know, AoS had that horrible Deathlok costume, the temple / city sets and seems to love spending FX money on the bus doing stupid poo poo. It's improved this season (along with everything else about the show) but it's still nowhere near as good visually as it should be.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Considering how much they ruined your character in Wolverine: Origins, I'm inclined to agree.

"Hey, let's take a popular character who is known for never shutting the gently caress up, but we sew his mouth shut."
"loving brilliant plan, only let's also give him a bunch of random superpowers he has never shown in the comics."

I just assume there was copious amounts of Cocaine involved in those decisions. Because then that would make more sense than sober people making that film.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 3, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

XboxPants posted:

It doesn't have anything to do with technicalities like that. If that was the case they would have made Spider-Man an Avenger already under the same premise.

It's because Quicksilver is largely an Avengers character, associated with that franchise as much as, if not moreso than, the X-Men franchise. When Fox made the purchase, they didn't just get a vague "everything x-men" license, they also got a very long list of specific things that do or don't fall under that umbrella. The very detailed contract that Fox and Marvel worked out apparently allowed for both of them to use a few characters like Quicksilver.

Similar things for the Fantastic Four franchise - Fox owns the specific character of the Super Skrull exclusively, but MCU is technically allowed to use the broad Skrull race if they want to so long as they don't use the characters that Fox owns.

But that's probably not the case with the Starjammers, since they're pretty much only an X-Men thing. Like, Professor X has been on the team at one point.

Well heres a link to one of the many articles made on the subject saying just what I did regarding licensing and 'mutant' fuckery: http://www.thegeektwins.com/2014/04/why-is-quicksilver-in-two-movies-x-men.html?m=1

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I only said the Starjammers because it was the first cosmic Marvel team to come to mind that wasn't the Guardians. I completely forget the issues regarding rights (hence lamenting no Spiedy tv show too). A Nova tv show or something would be cool too. I just want some cosmic Marvel on my tv essentially. Having something that was about space pirates would just be a bonus.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

Considering how much they ruined your character in Wolverine: Origins, I'm inclined to agree.

"Hey, let's take a popular character who is known for never shutting the gently caress up, but we sew his mouth shut."
"loving brilliant plan, only let's also give him a bunch of random superpowers he has never shown in the comics."

I just assume there was copious amounts of Cocaine involved in those decisions. Because then that would make more sense than sober people making that film.

Not to defend that movie on a qualitative level, but if you were a villain and you had to brainwash Deadpool, sewing his mouth shut would probably be on the top of your list of priorities.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Xealot posted:

Have they cast Iron Fist yet? Seems like that's a decision they'd have made at this point since Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones are already accounted for.

I don't think they've made any announcements about Iron Fist, but given that they just announced who the showrunner Luke Cage is going to be, they still have plenty of time.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

tsob posted:

I only said the Starjammers because it was the first cosmic Marvel team to come to mind that wasn't the Guardians. I completely forget the issues regarding rights (hence lamenting no Spiedy tv show too). A Nova tv show or something would be cool too. I just want some cosmic Marvel on my tv essentially. Having something that was about space pirates would just be a bonus.

Guardians of the Galaxy kind of neutered the Nova Corps. In Guardians of the Galaxy, the Nova Corps are just basically beat cops without any super powers and maybe some extra tech.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 3, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

thrakkorzog posted:

Well they're making up for that with the solo film so we can all put that nightmare behind us.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

thrakkorzog posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy kind of neutered the Nova Corps. In Guardians of the Galaxy, the Nova Corps are just basically beat cops without any super powers and maybe some extra tech.

They were already introducing so many cosmic elements that introducing Nova too might be a bit too much.

Also, traditionally, Nova is someone from Earth but we have that role already in Quill.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So I've never watched a Netflix Series before. What time on Friday can I expect the show to be available?

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

Kheldarn posted:

So I've never watched a Netflix Series before. What time on Friday can I expect the show to be available?

House of Cards was 12am PST.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2015/04/03/review-daredevil-is-one-of-marvels-greatest-achievements/

Another glowing review. Why isn't it the 10th yet?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Meanwhile Devin Faraci is watching the reviews roll in, crying into the hole where his heart once was, and also his sandwich

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As if it was going to be poo poo guys... anyone who doubted it should be flogged.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

DivisionPost posted:

Meanwhile Devin Faraci is watching the reviews roll in, crying into the hole where his heart once was, and also his sandwich

Why does anyone listen to that man anymore? Every time I hear something about him, it involves him being an obnoxious baby.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What made Spartacus so good? A bunch of their actors have shown up in Arrow/Flash, those threads have plenty of people shouting praise, and I know a few critics (Mo Ryan and Ryan Mc Gee) who also loved it.

I generally don't like sword and sandal epics, but I did enjoy Rome when it aired.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Narcissus1916 posted:

What made Spartacus so good?

Jupiter's cock

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Spartacus was a combination of actors, characters, story and style coming together just right. It could just have easily been awful (see the first two episodes are not good)

It ended up being amazing in a magical way

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI2JWIN1zMQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, it's not really definable. While there were definitely episodes and moments that wowed me, it was never actually "good" more like it was fun and entertaining as gently caress to the point its flaws didn't matter.

Jupiter's Cock.