Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Evil Fluffy posted:

I haven't put this in the OP because I don't know if DeNA would ever actually try to act against it, but if your phone crashes a few... dozen times in a fight well, what can you do? :shrug:

I've had my phone crash 3x in a row on a boss's death animation before though and that truly sucks.

It's a very common practice among JP players, from what I can tell, but I feel uneasy about it for the same reason.

Blind needs to land on the first or second hit to be useful, though, and it has taken me five or more tries to get that to happen at all. That would be soul crushing to deal with "legit" and I probably wouldn't be enjoying the game at all without it.

I think DeNA is probably just designing around it at this point; some of the dungeons in the JP version are nearly impossible even with maxed parties + this trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Eh, finding a way around some aspect of a game that's built to make you fail as much as possible doesn't seem so immoral to me.

But then I'm the kind of chump who will throw money into something like this so maybe that makes it easier.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Starting to prepare for the ranged only bosses, I haven't spent any of my Scarletites yet, what should I focus on leveling?

Also, I haven't used Wakka very much, guessing I should dump all my exp eggs into him so I can rely on his ranged attacks?

Also also, is there any way to get more of the minor summoning orbs right now? The only place seems to be from mastering the early floors of the event so I can't hone my Bomb summon for the moment.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It really sucks having a critical hit take out Rydia the round right before the floor 60 boss. She has 139 magic and four casts of Thundara to use. :argh:

I may swap Tifa back in for Wakka next time. He can attack at range, but he is weak enough that the fights in the way to the boss are taking too long.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Hum. Bit at a loss as to what to do now.

Shinra is complete, though the last boss isn't mastered. I assume Protect Ring is worth it.

I beat Mist Cave and Underground Waterway, but lack the ability to master them because I only have **/*** weapons. I cannot beat any FFX stages at all because of DPS issues.

I have 11 Mythril, saving for the 4th for when Masamune is available. I can do dailies but...

I don't know where to go from here. Just grind Daily Dungeons? I can't even do hard mode yet. Everyone is 25~ Except for Sephiroth, at 21.

Slightly worried the answer is 'Wait until saturday, grind the daily dungeon forever'.

James Totes fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 3, 2015

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Could you please add a list of farmable 3* equipment to the tips list? I know about the black cowl thanks to the thread but the official wiki is terrible about explaining where equipment drops. Thanks!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
As people mention getting 3 star (or better) drops from bosses I'll add them, sure.

Mog
Nov 23, 2006

Pillbug

Mischalaniouse posted:

Starting to prepare for the ranged only bosses, I haven't spent any of my Scarletites yet, what should I focus on leveling?

Also, I haven't used Wakka very much, guessing I should dump all my exp eggs into him so I can rely on his ranged attacks?

Also also, is there any way to get more of the minor summoning orbs right now? The only place seems to be from mastering the early floors of the event so I can't hone my Bomb summon for the moment.

Weapons level up to max pretty quick with just a few scarletite, just level up what you're using and at least 1 ranged weapon.

The growth eggs we have now don't provide much exp, 30 will take someone from level 1 to around 15 but you're still gonna have to use the character to get them into fighting shape.

Summon orbs seem to be only available as master rewards right now, no way to grind them out. Completing all the Shinra levels should leave you with 6 minor summoning orbs (enough for Imp or Bomb) and 9 lesser (1 short of being able to get any of the 2* summons). The boss on level 70 of Shrinra can allegedly drop 3* and 4* summon orbs as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ Apparently Rufus drops a 3 star summon orb when you beat him. If it's a high drop rate you could spend the next week or so farming him and them make a 3 star summon or two, but summons are 1 use per level and due to the rarity of summon orbs they're a chore to level.

Mischalaniouse posted:

Hit the Gil dungeon hard over the weekend and get lots of good, ideally 100k+, and max out the Genji Helm. The Staff of Tyro would make him a solid caster even despite his crappy stats, and will make Lenna amazing when we get her. Leveling 5 star gear to max can be pricy though. Especially if you have to feed dozens of 1 and 2 star scarletite/adamantite.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Tortolia posted:

It really sucks having a critical hit take out Rydia the round right before the floor 60 boss. She has 139 magic and four casts of Thundara to use. :argh:

I may swap Tifa back in for Wakka next time. He can attack at range, but he is weak enough that the fights in the way to the boss are taking too long.

I just beat it and I didn't even have Rydia. I have thundara and thunder on Tyro, jump on Kain and cast boost on him, and both Wakka and Tyro have bows (3 star dark bow and elven bow.) Honestly thundara wasn't even super useful but the bows and jump did the most work. Wakka has salve and that saved him at one point, but Wakka was doing as much damage with his bow as Tyro was doing with thundara and I suspect Tyro could have done the same (although I stuck to thundara with him.) I took a lot of damage but everyone survived and the battle was over pretty quickly. Characters are level 29 and 28. Got champion on it too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Where the gently caress are my 5-star weapons? HUH?
:bang:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, that Black Cowl is solid. It's straight up better at 1/10 than a maxed-out 3-star Bronze Bangle. Wonder what other sort of stuff you can loot off of bosses.

I think I'll be able to manage Sephiroth, at this rate.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Since I need the orbs from that level I'm killing the Guard Captain in the Abandoned Mineshaft and seeing what I get. So far it's only been three-star orbs but I'll let you guys know if a true treasure drops.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So after those melee immune bosses, mastering the last floors of shinra tower was cake, even dragging along a level 10 sephiroth. Well, time to grind some dark orbs I guess because now I don't know what to do. I did manage to get the drain spellblade attack for Cloud. While it might not be as great as an elemental one, having a way for him to heal himself during hard dungeons is great.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well, I can safely say that Jump + a 5* FF7 weapon is enough to take out Hundred Gunner. Even with a Lv20 Tyro, two Jumps and a Judgement Grimoire with the Grand Glove equipped was all I needed to take it out.

I know for a fact I won't be that lucky with Heli Gunner, though. I might need to farm a Black Cowl to give Rydia a little bit more survivability.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Just beat and mastered the second melee boss. I had a level 27 Rydia with 4 Thundaras and 141 magic to cast them off of. It only took 2 of them plus a boosted Kain Double Jump to kill it. I would estimate this guy has a little over 9,000 HP.

My party was Tyro (with Cura and Protect), Kain, Cloud, Rydia (with lv 2 or 3 Thunder and lv 2 Thundara), and Wakka.

So I actually have been leveling up Wakka the entire dungeon for this fight, switching Tidus out for him. In the end I think he did more harm than good due to being easier to kill. My advice is don't bother with Wakka unless you have some absurdly strong ranged weapon for him to abuse; if Rydia is well prepared you absolutely won't need his damage at all.

So if anyone is trying to prepare to master that level on the first try, here's my advice:

1. Make sure your party is strong enough to autobattle to the boss without dying. Upgrade and combine the Protect Vests and Mythril Armlets to make this easier. My party average was around 27 but I think you could do it a level or two sooner so long as your gear is decent (I don't have a single 5* piece of equipment, and only one 4* armor). I didn't notice a big change between floors 55 and 65, so if you can comfortably autobattle the stages up to the first ranged boss you're probably fine.

2. Go to the FFIV Underground Waterfront elite stage and Master Octomammoth (killing it quickly with Thundara and Thunderstrike) to get the Light Rod. Level this up and put it on Rydia. See if you can get her Magic to be over, say, 130. You could probably do it with less, too.

3. (Optional) Get the Light Staff from Elite Mako Reactor no.5 (easier than the previous step) and give it to Tyro. It makes him a really good healer.

4. Make a party with at least these three people: Tyro with Cura and Protect, Cloud, and Rydia with a honed Thundara. Maybe Kain, too. Go to the ranged boss, making sure Rydia enters the fight with full HP. Have someone Boost Kain while Tyro casts Protect on Rydia. Kain can Jump or Double Jump, Rydia just casts Thundara every turn. If Rydia somehow dies, just do the close out trick.

Honestly, I just don't want anyone to invest too much time or money into ranged attacks or leveling up Jump or whatever thinking this fight is harder than it is. It really just comes down to getting Rydia to like 120-140 magic and keeping her alive while she casts a honed Thundara a couple times and that's really it. This dungeon will be a piece of cake if you've got Thundara leveled up once. I will let you guys know how well blinding and poisoning the last boss works when I get there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nickoten posted:

Just beat and mastered the second melee boss. I had a level 27 Rydia with 4 Thundaras and 141 magic to cast them off of. It only took 2 of them plus a boosted Kain Double Jump to kill it. I would estimate this guy has a little over 9,000 HP.

My party was Tyro (with Cura and Protect), Kain, Cloud, Rydia (with lv 2 or 3 Thunder and lv 2 Thundara), and Wakka.

So I actually have been leveling up Wakka the entire dungeon for this fight, switching Tidus out for him. In the end I think he did more harm than good due to being easier to kill. My advice is don't bother with Wakka unless you have some absurdly strong ranged weapon for him to abuse; if Rydia is well prepared you absolutely won't need his damage at all.

So if anyone is trying to prepare to master that level on the first try, here's my advice:

1. Make sure your party is strong enough to autobattle to the boss without dying. Upgrade and combine the Protect Vests and Mythril Armlets to make this easier. My party average was around 27 but I think you could do it a level or two sooner so long as your gear is decent (I don't have a single 5* piece of equipment, and only one 4* armor). I didn't notice a big change between floors 55 and 65, so if you can comfortably autobattle the stages up to the first ranged boss you're probably fine.

2. Go to the FFIV Underground Waterfront elite stage and Master Octomammoth (killing it quickly with Thundara and Thunderstrike) to get the Light Rod. Level this up and put it on Rydia. See if you can get her Magic to be over, say, 130. You could probably do it with less, too.

3. (Optional) Get the Light Staff from Elite Mako Reactor no.5 (easier than the previous step) and give it to Tyro. It makes him a really good healer.

4. Make a party with at least these three people: Tyro with Cura and Protect, Cloud, and Rydia with a honed Thundara. Maybe Kain, too. Go to the ranged boss, making sure Rydia enters the fight with full HP. Have someone Boost Kain while Tyro casts Protect on Rydia. Kain can Jump or Double Jump, Rydia just casts Thundara every turn. If Rydia somehow dies, just do the close out trick.

Honestly, I just don't want anyone to invest too much time or money into ranged attacks or leveling up Jump or whatever thinking this fight is harder than it is. It really just comes down to getting Rydia to like 120-140 magic and keeping her alive while she casts a honed Thundara a couple times and that's really it. This dungeon will be a piece of cake if you've got Thundara leveled up once. I will let you guys know how well blinding and poisoning the last boss works when I get there.

Just put a strong melee weapon, preferably an FF7 one, on tyro and give him jump. It's not any more of an investment than grinding rydia, her equipment and thundara up.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

The trick is getting an FF7 weapon, which is pretty much totally random and a very low chance compared to getting guaranteed drops from relatively easy bosses.

Trust me, if I had the option of solving the fights by throwing a Buster Sword or Grand Fist or whatever on Tyro and using Jump I would have happily done that. :(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Thanks for the tips, I've been kinda dreading these fights but knowing that it's really just a matter of pimping out Rydia and spamming Thundara helps a lot

What's the close out trick?

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 3, 2015

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, that seems like a good strat. I have the same problem of zero decent VII weapons right now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Augus posted:

Thanks for the tips, I've been kinda dreading these fights but knowing that it's really just a matter of pimping out Rydia and spamming Thundara helps a lot

If you have thunder strike, I think someone mentioned earlier that it works on the boss if someone with a ranged weapon uses it. So that's another option.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Augus posted:

It's when you close the application in the middle of a fight, then open it up and again and choose to continue where you left off. You should begin at the start of that round. It helps if the boss decides to focus on Rydia or something.

As for ranged weapons with Thunderstrike, that would probably work pretty well if you've got a good ranged weapon (like the whip or the harp). Ultimately it's really just going to be supplementary damage to Rydia's Thundara, since the only people who can do ranged Thunderstrike are, I believe, the Ranger and Tyro, which means damage will be kind of bottlenecked.

Ultimately I decided to just specialize Tyro in keeping Rydia alive, but if you can boost his Thunderstrike it would help and you could replace Kain with White Mage or something for dedicated healing. I tried it on the first ranged fight and it was some decent extra damage but ultimately Thundara did most of the work.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 3, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Echophonic posted:

Man, that Black Cowl is solid. It's straight up better at 1/10 than a maxed-out 3-star Bronze Bangle. Wonder what other sort of stuff you can loot off of bosses.

I think I'll be able to manage Sephiroth, at this rate.

Somebody made this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12efL-9WKrn6i5RY08aIqFAfVSaGFJr19ptGWz0vxy9s/edit#gid=349261600

Looks like the Black Cowl is the only 3* drop available.

Edit: So incidentally, is it possible to get decent stuff from the free daily draw? I noticed there's a list of relics you can scroll through labeled "Common Relic Draw" and it includes 1-5-star gear. Every time I've used it I've only gotten 1* garbage.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 3, 2015

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I have a crystal bangle and power wrist on Kane with a 3 star dancing dagger. With boost on him he was doing like 2000 damage with his jump so the second boss went really quickly. I guess there are a few ways to beat him but once you've got something doing decent damage its ok, they don't have a ridiculous amount of hp or anything.

Neither of the bosses were really as hard as I expected to be honest.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
I got a 3star Knight Armour from the daily free relic draw the other day :)

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

Edit: So incidentally, is it possible to get decent stuff from the free daily draw? I noticed there's a list of relics you can scroll through labeled "Common Relic Draw" and it includes 1-5-star gear. Every time I've used it I've only gotten 1* garbage.

I saw an image somewhere of the drop rate by rarity from the common draw (was for the JP version, but ours is probably similar). IIRC, the chance of getting a 1* was ~75-80% and for a 5* it was something absurd like 0.1% or 0.01%. So technically possible but don't hold your breath. Personally, besides the usual 1* junk, I got another Mythril Bangle from it yesterday, which was nice.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So is this Shinra dungeon like a descended on PAD where it'll roll back around in two weeks, or does not doing it now mean I never get Tifa and Sephiroth

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Wow I majorly overprepared for the two ranged only bosses. Rydia alone with a healer probably could have soloed both.

Just one more set of floors to go and I'll have Sephiroth. :woop:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

James Totes posted:

Beat Shinra Tower. Had to use a Mythril to redo the Rufus fight because Rydia got one shot by a trash mob and it made me lose. Didn't get mastery bonus but I did get a 3 star summoning orb, which was nice.

Sephiroth unlocked, at least. Can redo it later for a mastery.

FYI if you exit the app entirely on iOS you occasionally get to restart from the beginning of the battle to undo stuff like unlucky Crit one shotting a Mage

Edit:oops missed a page seems people figured it out

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Just put a strong melee weapon, preferably an FF7 one, on tyro and give him jump. It's not any more of an investment than grinding rydia, her equipment and thundara up.

I don't have any weapons past 3* but I did beat floor 60 thanks to thundaras from Rydia. Had to level her a bit so she'd stop dying and do more damage. My only other ranged is Wakka, white Mage was healing, cloud and tidus played with their balls occasionally soaking hits

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
I'm enjoying the hell out of this game and I don't know why.

Maybe it's because it's a freemium game I was able to get in on the ground floor of (relatively speaking).

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
Don't know if I'm just lucky but so far Rufus has dropped greater summon orbs the last 5 times I've killed him, so if you want them this event seems like a decent shot.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

So is this Shinra dungeon like a descended on PAD where it'll roll back around in two weeks, or does not doing it now mean I never get Tifa and Sephiroth

I seriously can't imagine it not coming back around, but if I had to guess I'd say more than two weeks. Like, a couple of months?

It's not terribly hard to get through after you've done the currently released main dungeon content, and you've still got a full week.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mythril keeps giving me three star weapons for Kain. I guess the Poison Axe is better than the two spears.

What do I even do with these outdated 3* rods and staves and spears.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Jehuti posted:

Don't know if I'm just lucky but so far Rufus has dropped greater summon orbs the last 5 times I've killed him, so if you want them this event seems like a decent shot.

I killed Rufus 4 times and only got Summoning Orbs. You're getting lucky. At best it's a 50% ish drop rate probably. If that. Probably more like 20% if I had to guess.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

Mythril keeps giving me three star weapons for Kain. I guess the Poison Axe is better than the two spears.

What do I even do with these outdated 3* rods and staves and spears.

Keep 'em for area synergy bonuses if you are running hard content for that specific game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I finally got enough Holy Orbs for a level 2 healing spell, but do I grab Cura or Regen?

I should probably also go get that last Wind Orb I need for Jump so I can take a shot at the Gunners.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

I finally got enough Holy Orbs for a level 2 healing spell, but do I grab Cura or Regen?

I should probably also go get that last Wind Orb I need for Jump so I can take a shot at the Gunners.

Regen is not as good as it sounds. Get Cura.

I've started Elite dungeons now and I've passed the the first two FFVII and FFIV dungeons. I'm on Ant Lion now but need to grind up an ice strike. Is there any other easy elites I should hit first, or should I just start grinding my Ice Strike? On that note, what dungeon is good for Lesser Ice Orbs? Can't say I'm too stocked up on them.

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 3, 2015

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
What abilities have the ranges modifier that you can put on people like Tifa/cloud/Tidus? Do the spell blade skills count?

Hit the wall on that ff7 elevator boss in shinra tower because I'd been neglecting rydia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Finally got Tifa to level 16. Time to continue climbing Shinra!

I took out the Elite Scorpion this morning too. Mastered the stage amazingly. This morn is already productive on Record Keeper. I've got 20 mythril and I'm still stocking up. Anyone get Tifa's glove yet?

• Locked thread