Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can I withdraw my bet?

No. :reject:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I seem to recall that I think I actually got the "Be Gentle with Her" achievement the first time I played the game... then again, if achievement glitches out sometimes and gives it to you when you haven't earned it, then maybe I didn't!

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 25, 2015

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

nine-gear crow posted:

You now know I am going to play ever suggestion. All once. It will be glorious.

I have a serious-ish question for Gimbal lock, if you're still reading the thread, it's slightly spoiler-y, but whatever: does the "find the real Elika" jump in the Royal Palace count towards the Be Gentle With Her achievement? I just want to know whether or not to factor it into the counter when we get there.

I'm 95% sure that it doesn't. If I remember correctly, the scripting for that is triggered by a zone that's higher than the death area. As far as that game's concerned, it never happens. Though now that I think about it, that also means that if your framerate is really really poo poo, you might be able to bypass that little trick and break the scripting. Luckily, you can't reliably make that happen on consoles. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gimbal lock posted:

I'm 95% sure that it doesn't. If I remember correctly, the scripting for that is triggered by a zone that's higher than the death area. As far as that game's concerned, it never happens. Though now that I think about it, that also means that if your framerate is really really poo poo, you might be able to bypass that little trick and break the scripting. Luckily, you can't reliably make that happen on consoles. :colbert:

Great. Thanks a lot. I'll be sure to point that out when we make it there in the commentary, and if I don't feel free to smack me for it when the time comes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I think crow will die 400 times in this game.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Blind Sally posted:

Man, Ignatius M. Meen is gonna win the Death Counter contest with 1001 deaths, aren't they?
That depends. Do you think crow has the patience to jump off the same pit over 800 times just to ensure nobody wins?

Because I'm pretty sure he'll have roughly 200 deaths before the end of the game at this rate and it will be glorious.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And that's what we get for trusting in player skills. P'schaw.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

And that's what we get for trusting in player skills. P'schaw.

:frogout:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

If a harry potter joke wins the death reel, that will be hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQOJY4NXYzM I'd say this song is good for when you're collecting seeds.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That mystery counter just screams triple digits, and you're not done with even one boss yet.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Considering the fact that crow has a certain knack for flinging the prince all willy-nilly, I think that this would be perfect for a death reel.

Also, these songs I just find cool.

Breath of Space - Break Science (feat. Sonya Kitchell)
BomBom - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (feat. The Teaching)
Nascence - Austin Wintory (from the game, Journey. The whole soundtrack is amazing)
S.T.A.Y - Hanz Zimmer (from the movie, Interstellar)
Where We're Going - Hanz Zimmer (also from Interstellar)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

GuyUpNorth posted:

That mystery counter just screams triple digits, and you're not done with even one boss yet.

:getin:

also, we're workin' on an update. Or, I should say, crow is. I've been bugging him to help me get our new Killzone LPs started, but they're running now, so he should have more time to edit sweet death counters and music videos.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

also, we're workin' on an update. Or, I should say, crow is. I've been bugging him to help me get our new Killzone LPs started, but they're running now, so he should have more time to edit sweet death counters and music videos.

Indeed. The latest PoP is nearly ready to go, but I'm going to get the next bit of Killzone Liberation done tonight just because that game is almost halfway over as of this coming update.

I should have The Windmills ready for Prince of Persia by the weekend though, maybe sooner.

Also, Cities Skylines is taking a bite out of my free time as well, as CJacobs can attest.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh you didn't say the windmill was up next. :getin:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VIDEO: The Windmills (BLOCKED IN GERMANY & ON MOBILE DEVICES)
VIDEO: The Windmills (NOT BLOCKED IN GERMANY & ON MOBILE DEVICES)

This is the worst loving thing I've ever done in the name of Let's Play, surpassing even Rainbow Dash Rendar. :getin: Everything about it is terrible, gameplay, video editing, and worst of all, commentary. It's merely a stroke of cosmic luck that this update happens to land on April Fools Day, because if I were watching this from an outside perspective, I'd think this was some kind of cruel joke on everyone involved.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter The Windmills... :v:

There's a reason this one took a solid loving month: I needed to get the OK from my therapist before I was allowed to post it. Now here's a proper level description:

The Prince and Elika track The Hunter to the last Fertile Ground in the Ruined Citadel, the Windmills, which once fed the entire city of the Ahura, before Ahriman's corruption defiled it. If they manage to heal the land here, The Hunter will be forced back into his lair in the Citadel's keep, where he will be cornered at long last.

SWITCH PUZZLES

Starting here with The Windmills, certain stages throughout Prince of Persia 2008 will have one or more actual complex puzzles revolving around rotating switches like the one we used back in the Intro to open the front door to the Temple of Light.

Each area's puzzle has its own unique gimmick, all of which involve lining up various objects which rotate. ...Hey, give UbiSoft a break, if they tried coding a unique puzzle mechanic for each of the four regions, character models would start spontaneously melting or something.

I will cover each stage's puzzle's particulars as we encounter them. The puzzle here in the Windmills is deceptively simple. There are three Magic Plates hidden away behind rotating grates, which need to be aligned in the correct manner so that we can use all three of them to get out of here. There are two switches in both rooms you encounter this puzzle in: the one on the left rotates the grates, the one on the right changes the direction and angle of each grate's rotation to fine tune their alignment.

You can see the three panels up on the wall in mid-frame there. They indicate which way and how far the grates will turn when you use the left switch. They come up in a set pattern of four potential combinations. The red arrow denotes a turn radius of 180°, the blue arrow denotes a turn radius of 90°, and the blank square means that grate will not move at all during that turn sequence. The order of the squares on the wall corresponds to the position of the grates in the room.

To use the switches, walk up to one and press the button (not , or you'll end up jumping around in front of it like an idiot like I do several times), and push the stick up or down. Doing so will move The Prince and Elika in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction relative to The Prince's position on screen. To disengage from the switch, press the button a second time.

I'll cover the reason why this puzzle was such a disaster for me in the Miscellaneous section.

ELIKA'S JOURNAL ~ THE WINDMILLS

Elika, pre-healing posted:

The Windmills. They used to feed the city, the people that lived here, and the thousands that came here on pilgrimage... now they're one of The Hunter's playgrounds.

Elika, post-healing posted:

The Windmills... Maybe one day they could feed the city again, with a little patience...

Wow, nice :iceburn: on The Prince there, Elika. Way to be passive aggressive. (NOTE: The banter for this stage is all about The Prince being impatient and having no concern for the infrastructures of society, like farming or milling, so that "patience" bit was pretty pointed right at The Prince, one of the few times she actually calls him out directly in these little asides.)

CROW, WHY DID THINGS GO DISASTROUSLY WRONG IN THIS VIDEO? WHY DO YOU SUCK SO MUCH AT PRINCE OF PERSIA 2008?

The simplest answer I can give is, I didn't playtest the first part of the LP.

The more complex answer is I was intending it to be a fairly casual romp through the game with no real care for little gently caress ups here or there because I thought I'd remembered how to play the game well enough since the last time I put it down. Turns out, I was still a little rusty. I thought I could bullshit my way through the switch puzzle here, and that it wasn't as difficult as I'd thought it was. I was wrong. I promise you, this will be the last time you see me absolutely bomb a puzzle in this LP. I will be using a guide to help me with any of the more complex ones we encounter, of which there are relatively few, thankfully.

This was the final video of a recording session that stretched from the start of the game (including a few scrapped runs of the intro), right up till this point here in a single sitting which took place on New Year's Eve 2015. It was about 3:00 AM when I finally called it a night on this one particularly after I realized how terrible I'd done on this stage. There are additional contextualizing matters like what the people around me decided to do with their New Year's Eves, and having a babysit a dangerously curious 3-month old kitten for the night, but I won't go any further into those matters. So let's just say I was very distracted and should have scrapped the footage, but I thought leaving it in and running with it would prove to be the funnier option, which it absolutely was.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY

Don't decide to LP games you haven't played in six years on a whim after impulse buying a copy of it on Boxing Day and then start recording footage for it on the single-most distracting night of the year.

MUSIC NOTE:

"Gonna Fly Now" doesn't play in-video because I sped it up so fast in Premiere it went to loving plaid on me and ascended out of our physical realm of existence, so eh :shrug:

I pronounce it "tide-us", by the way, and I always will. :colbert:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 3, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Holy poo poo! That's exactly midnight Canadia time! You would almost think Crow planned it this way if he didn't vehemently deny it like he was testifying in court!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Holy poo poo! That's exactly midnight Canadia time! You would almost think Crow planned it this way if he didn't vehemently deny it like he was testifying in court!

Amazing, ain't it?

Also, apologies to our German viewers, as this video is currently blocked in Glorious Deutchland thanks to CJabcob's fuckery "Ice Ice Baby". I'll upload a version of the video with a different musical underlay later on in the week just so that everyone can see him, Sally, and Artix poo poo all over my terrible Prince of Persiaing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

nine-gear crow posted:

Amazing, ain't it?

Also, apologies to our German viewers, as this video is currently blocked in Glorious Deutchland thanks to CJabcob's fuckery "Ice Ice Baby". I'll upload a version of the video with a different musical underlay later on in the week just so that everyone can see him, Sally, and Artix poo poo all over my terrible Prince of Persiaing.

I'm looking forward to it and appreciate the effort.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
The combats in this game go a lot faster if you learn how to use the combos, including making use of the gauntlet. It's possible to win by just mashing the sword button a lot, but that'll get pretty monotonous.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The remaining Corrupted also have key weaknesses or gimicks that make them easier to read and slightly less liable to score combo-busting interrupts on you.

The biggest problem with The Hunter, I found, was that it was drat near impossible to even get a combo started on him because he's spam parry on you, meaning you immediately needed to parry back.

It plays incredibly agrrssive defense.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

you should end more videos with the wails of the damned

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Everything the Prince can do, Elika can do and she also has magic. Might as well have just given her a sword and made the game about her.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

This is the worst loving thing I've ever done in the name of Let's Play, surpassing even Rainbow Dash Rendar. :getin: Everything about it is terrible, gameplay, video editing, and worst of all, commentary. It's merely a stroke of cosmic luck that this update happens to land on April Fools Day, because if I were watching this from an outside perspective, I'd think this was some kind of cruel joke on everyone involved.

APRIL FOOLS!?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
but seriously, that video was something else. i didn't know it was going to turn out that way. I DIDN'T KNOW!! :stonk:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The opening, with SABOTEUR SABOTEUR SABOTEUR was loving genius, and I could not stop laughing throughout that video.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

The opening, with SABOTEUR SABOTEUR SABOTEUR was loving genius, and I could not stop laughing throughout that video.

The best part about that joke is that a straight Saboteur party in FFXIII is a recipe for disaster and should never ever even be the last option on your Paradigm roster.

Oh, and for those wondering what Blind Sally said that was cut off by "A Fight of Light and Darkness" overlaid on itself 25x plus echo filter:

Blind Sally posted:

"No, Crow, I want you to take that YouTube video, the soundtrack from that YouTube video where the guy has taken Tidus' laugh and then slowed it down and has it replaying every second."

I also forgot to deduct CJacob's apologized joke even though I did the reverse ding for it and everything. Oops.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

:stonk: Where would you even find that?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

well that was certainly a tri disaster.

voted thread 5

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

For my all 3 of my German viewers (namely Trizophenie, Air is lava!, and Simply Simon). You might have wished this stayed behind GEMA's copyright iron curtain after watching this video though. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new song is fantastic, 11/10

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

nine-gear crow posted:

For my all 3 of my German viewers (namely Trizophenie, Air is lava!, and Simply Simon). You might have wished this stayed behind GEMA's copyright iron curtain after watching this video though. :v:

Nonsense, it's a great choice.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm glad I didn't have to miss out! That was really fun. You should be absent more often.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So barring a few post-facto pick up shots (doing the ending sequence with all 1,001 light seeds) and the Epilogue DLC, I'm done recording my footage for Prince of Persia.

I noticed something interesting in the 20 minute long Ubisoft Credit Sequence, however. The game is titled in the final credit Prince and Princess of Persia. I found that incredibly interesting, especially in light of the thread's consensus that Elika is the actual protagonist/hero of Prince of Persia 2008.

I wonder why Ubisoft was hesitant to change the name of the game. Were they worried they were going to anlienate PoP fans by including Princess in the title?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's kind of long and clunky for a title. Princess of Persia would have been better.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Sindai posted:

That's kind of long and clunky for a title. Princess of Persia would have been better.

And then everyone would complain about Elika not being the player character.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

LoonShia posted:

:stonk: Where would you even find that?

Try playing it back set to .5 speed or 2.0 speed. Trust me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sorry, Nolan.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Soon we'll learn the game was conceived as The Royal Family of Persia, featured three dozen nieces, and was supposed to be a Lemmings clone. The thick carpets were a safety cushion for long falls, and could also be used to slow characters down.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My head and ears hurt, i hate everyone involved, when is the next episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Soon(tm), according to Valve Time.

• Locked thread