Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

SaltLick posted:

Spur of the moment Big Bend trip for the long weekend has me pumped. I've been wanting to go hiking and camping with the girlfriend for a while now and it's going to be absolutely beautiful (high of 73) in west Texas before it gets miserably hot.

Nice! Do you know where you'll be hiking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've been thinking of picking up an Atmos AG 65 backpack for hikes this summer; the 46 liter pack I took on the JMT was barely adequate and I want something that can comfortably hold 6 or 7 days supplies if needed. This pack has been getting good reviews, partly due to the "anti-gravity" suspension system:

Osprey posted:

A continuous panel of lightweight mesh extends from the top of the backpanel to the hipbelt. The seamless structure contours automatically to the body, providing outstanding fit and unrestricted movement when wearing the pack.

I wonder how durable something like this is? The mesh back has to remain taut for the suspension to work and if the mesh tears a little bit that seems like it could really screw things up.

edit: What's the benefit of a separate sleeping bag compartment? A lot of bags have them, but since I only need my sleeping bag at the end of the day, why does it matter if it's more accessible?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 2, 2015

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been thinking of picking up an Atmos AG 65 backpack for hikes this summer; the 46 liter pack I took on the JMT was barely adequate and I want something that can comfortably hold 6 or 7 days supplies if needed. This pack has been getting good reviews, partly due to the "anti-gravity" suspension system:

I wonder how durable something like this is? The mesh back has to remain taut for the suspension to work and if the mesh tears a little bit that seems like it could really screw things up.

edit: What's the benefit of a separate sleeping bag compartment? A lot of bags have them, but since I only need my sleeping bag at the end of the day, why does it matter if it's more accessible?
I call this design the trampoline style and I personally really like it. Haven't tried that specific pack but I have used a Gregory Z55 and ZPacks ArcBlast. They help with back sweat and the way the internal/external stays are set up, usually it helps transfer load to the hips rather than the back/shoulders. They do tend to make the inside of the pack sort of weird shaped, however, more like a kidney bean. This can make getting things out of the bottoms more difficult without unloading the whole pack. I'd guess that's a benefit of a separate sleeping bag compartment on the bottom. Easy access. That and it could be a "clean" compartment, no food or dirty laundry to help keep bedding smells to a minimum. I don't think the separate compartment is necessary, just extra weight for the internal fabric and zippers but you have to pick your luxury features for yourself. I guess I'm a bit of a gram weenie but all of those extra zippers and compartments can really add up. For example, my Z55 weighs about 52 oz while the ArcBlast weighs 21.4. Granted the cuben fiber makes a huge difference in the weight but the ArcBlast also cuts out all unnecessary accessories, things I find I don't really miss when I'm hiking.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hungryjack posted:

Nice! Do you know where you'll be hiking?

I think we are going to try some of the quicker Chisos Mountain day hikes and the Santa Elena Canyon trail. There's a couple of mountain bike trails I want to hit so it definitely is a lot of running around.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I own an Osprey Atmos 70, and the mesh on the backpanel is quite tough. I don't think mine is the Anti Gravity version as I believe that's a newer version, but they have probably used the same mesh in the AG, just with a better form-fitting shape (not that the old version was bad). Osprey bags are a nice combination of lightweight yet sturdy. If you need a bomb proof bag though, look at other brands.

As for the bottom compartment, you can take the divider and webbing out if you want. In either case, you're not obliged to use it for your sleeping bag. It's just nice that you can get to the bottom of your bag through a zipper without needing to empty it from the top down.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

theroachman posted:

I own an Osprey Atmos 70, and the mesh on the backpanel is quite tough. I don't think mine is the Anti Gravity version as I believe that's a newer version, but they have probably used the same mesh in the AG, just with a better form-fitting shape (not that the old version was bad). Osprey bags are a nice combination of lightweight yet sturdy. If you need a bomb proof bag though, look at other brands.

As for the bottom compartment, you can take the divider and webbing out if you want. In either case, you're not obliged to use it for your sleeping bag. It's just nice that you can get to the bottom of your bag through a zipper without needing to empty it from the top down.

If I remember correctly Osprey has one of the better reputations for customer service of all the outdoor companies though, if you damage your pack they will repair or replace it fairly easily.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

I call this design the trampoline style and I personally really like it. Haven't tried that specific pack but I have used a Gregory Z55 and ZPacks ArcBlast. They help with back sweat and the way the internal/external stays are set up, usually it helps transfer load to the hips rather than the back/shoulders. They do tend to make the inside of the pack sort of weird shaped, however, more like a kidney bean. This can make getting things out of the bottoms more difficult without unloading the whole pack. I'd guess that's a benefit of a separate sleeping bag compartment on the bottom. Easy access. That and it could be a "clean" compartment, no food or dirty laundry to help keep bedding smells to a minimum. I don't think the separate compartment is necessary, just extra weight for the internal fabric and zippers but you have to pick your luxury features for yourself. I guess I'm a bit of a gram weenie but all of those extra zippers and compartments can really add up. For example, my Z55 weighs about 52 oz while the ArcBlast weighs 21.4. Granted the cuben fiber makes a huge difference in the weight but the ArcBlast also cuts out all unnecessary accessories, things I find I don't really miss when I'm hiking.

Interesting. I am familiar with Hyperlite's Cuben fiber pack offerings, but i had never heard of Zpacks. That Cuben fiber is weird stuff. My Ultimate Direction running pack has a lot of it. I'm always scared I'm going to rip it or mess it up, but to its credit, it hasn't failed me at all. Anyway, I was about to buy a Hyperlite 55L for my wife, but now I need to do my homework on Zpacks.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Verman posted:

If I remember correctly Osprey has one of the better reputations for customer service of all the outdoor companies though, if you damage your pack they will repair or replace it fairly easily.

They do free repairs for life, and replace if they can't repair it.

As for the bottom zipper on the bags, as mentioned above you cab remove the shelf easily. I prefer to keep the shelf in and my fuel, food, and pot/cup/spoon down there. That way my spare layers are easily accessible at the top of the bag and my lunch and dinner are accessible from the bottom. That puts a lot of the heavy items against my lower back, much more comfortable than food + fuel at the top.

I have a Talon 48 and I like it a lot. The long side pockets are pretty stupid, but overall it is a good pack.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Did an overnight trip up to Cucamonga Peak a couple weeks ago. Finally got around to editing and posting the photos.

Afternoon in Icehouse Canyon

Hard climb up a snowy chute

Night lights

Morning light from Cucamonga Peak

Good morning Mt Baldy

First light on Cucamonga Peak

Cucamonga Peak explorer

Slushy trail

Beautiful patterns

Ontario, Bighorn, Baldy, Harwood, and Telegraph

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The purpose of the sleeping bag compartment is to let you load your bag more efficiently, by having the heavier things in the middle.

You can have your food and cookware rest above the divider she you won't need them until after you've set up camp. And then your layers above that for easy access.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 3, 2015

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hungryjack posted:

Interesting. I am familiar with Hyperlite's Cuben fiber pack offerings, but i had never heard of Zpacks. That Cuben fiber is weird stuff. My Ultimate Direction running pack has a lot of it. I'm always scared I'm going to rip it or mess it up, but to its credit, it hasn't failed me at all. Anyway, I was about to buy a Hyperlite 55L for my wife, but now I need to do my homework on Zpacks.
I've had nothing but good experiences with ZPacks but it is definitely pricey. As I mentioned, I love my ArcBlast and I also bought a used Hexamid Twin tent for the JMT and it worked out great. It's a little tight for 2 (basically one person has zero head room) but it's ridiculously light weight and the cuben fiber held up great.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
On the other hand the ArcBlast isn't that much more expensive than a ULA pack and it's lighter (though likely more fragile if you're tough on your equipment). It's pricey but it isn't as crazy as the cost of their tents. People I talked to on the trail who had them also liked them a whole lot

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
One more thing I forgot to mention is that if you're going to need a Bearikade Expedition (the biggest bear can) it won't fit in the standard ArcBlast because it ends up sitting on the mid-back horizontal stay (due to the bean shape of the pack). There isn't enough vertical space above the mid-back stay to get the top rolled closed with an Expedition in there. I had ZPacks add 2 inches to the top of mine and it was just enough to roll closed. You said you were looking for 6-7 days so if you're in bear country that might be a concern.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

I've had nothing but good experiences with ZPacks but it is definitely pricey. As I mentioned, I love my ArcBlast and I also bought a used Hexamid Twin tent for the JMT and it worked out great. It's a little tight for 2 (basically one person has zero head room) but it's ridiculously light weight and the cuben fiber held up great.

It's cheaper than the Hyperlite I was looking at, so it's got that going for it...

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I also considered an HMG Windrider 3400 but I like the trampoline style from previous packs so I went with ZPacks. Everyone seems to love both, however, so you probably can't go wrong either way.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm going to head to REI tomorrow and check out their packs, can't quite bring myself to buy something so important online. Thanks for the feedback on the Atmos though. It seems like a solid choice but now I'm wondering if something lighter wouldn't be better than having all the bells and whistles.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm going to head to REI tomorrow and check out their packs, can't quite bring myself to buy something so important online. Thanks for the feedback on the Atmos though. It seems like a solid choice but now I'm wondering if something lighter wouldn't be better than having all the bells and whistles.

The extra weight of one pack could mean better padding and increased comfort though so try things on with weight in them. They should have sand bags at the store to fill the pack with and give you a sense of what it feels like with weight in it. I'll take an extra pound on the pack if it makes carrying the weight more comfortable than something lighter.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

HarryPurvis posted:

Did an overnight trip up to Cucamonga Peak a couple weeks ago.

That's awesome. I've slept on Baldy and Bighorn, but those don't have the decent sized flat top and trees that Cucamonga has. I almost camped on Telegraph Peak too, but that's got about one couch of sleeping space with steep rolling nightmare death on all sides. Baldy is cool for the simultaneous LA/desert view, but a lot more likely to have other weird people show up in the middle of the night.

Very sad how little snow is up there though. :smith:

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

Alpenglow posted:

That's awesome. I've slept on Baldy and Bighorn, but those don't have the decent sized flat top and trees that Cucamonga has. I almost camped on Telegraph Peak too, but that's got about one couch of sleeping space with steep rolling nightmare death on all sides. Baldy is cool for the simultaneous LA/desert view, but a lot more likely to have other weird people show up in the middle of the night.

Very sad how little snow is up there though. :smith:

You should give Timber mountain a try. There is a huge flat area on the NE side of the summit with lots of room for dispersed camping.

Totally agree with you about Baldy and weird people. Better option is to setup camp above the ledges of the Baldy bowl. There are some great flat spots down there. Better protection from the wild desert winds that like to whip through there too.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
Since there seems to be a decent LA-area population on this thread, I figure I can throw a question at you. My husband and I have been talking a lot about wishing we had an app that we could point at mountains to figure out their names (like when we're somewhere up on the Crest, mostly). I seriously doubt that exists. However, there must be some sort of visual of the different peaks of the San Gabriels, right? Any suggestions of a book or website or something with labelled pictures?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

erobadapazzi posted:

Since there seems to be a decent LA-area population on this thread, I figure I can throw a question at you. My husband and I have been talking a lot about wishing we had an app that we could point at mountains to figure out their names (like when we're somewhere up on the Crest, mostly). I seriously doubt that exists. However, there must be some sort of visual of the different peaks of the San Gabriels, right? Any suggestions of a book or website or something with labelled pictures?

There are a few apps that do exactly this. Personally I've had the best luck with PeakFinder, but I'm sure others can weigh in on their favorites.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I'm gonna try to see if I can pull off the JMT with only a day pack. Doable?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What do you consider a day pack?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations on hiking boots/trail runners that look normal enough for everyday business casual wear? I really love my La Sportiva trail runners and want to wear them in the office but they look like I dipped my feet in orange gak and I just cant get away wearing them in the office. I've had a pair of Merrel Moabs back in the day that might just be normal looking enough but I really wanted to go with something a bit lighter.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Saint Fu posted:

What do you consider a day pack?

Just a north face backpack, has hip straps too but wanting to go light as possible, gonna try it out on a weekend trip to see if I can pull it off. Sacrifices will have to be made.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What's your resupply schedule and how fast do you plan on getting from MTR to Whitney Portal?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Also needs to fit a bear can unless you very carefully plan your route. One is required in Yosemite and many other areas along the route though I've heard of people managing to only camp in areas that you can get away without having one. I suspect in Yosemite you'd have to camp in areas that have bear boxes and it requires pulling long days sometimes and you'd still risk a fine if a Ranger caught up with you even if you told them you weren't camping in a bear can required area.

e: the big thing in my mind would be if you have a sleeping system that would fit in it and could you carry the food you need to carry. It gets down to freezing at night in the summer and massive thunderstorms are perhaps uncommon on a day to day basis but really not surprising to happen over a week type of basis. Getting caught in a bad thunderstorm at night with the temps plummeting and not having sufficient shelter would be a bad situation

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 4, 2015

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

TerminalSaint posted:

There are a few apps that do exactly this. Personally I've had the best luck with PeakFinder, but I'm sure others can weigh in on their favorites.

This is great! Thanks so much. We just downloaded it, and I've already learned some new peak names and locations without even leaving my bedroom! Before I could only identify Wilson and Baldy.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Somewhat random question...I assume some people here read backpacking blogs or websites or magazines, do you have things you wish they'd write about that no one seems to do? Everyone loves doing gear reviews or trip reports and stuff like that, just wondering what people would find interesting that they don't see a lot of.

I'm basically looking for some writing practice and ideas to think about, I don't have any kind of blog that makes money or anything like that, I just want to write about things for practice and my own interest and am thinking up ideas.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Is there a daypack (maybe 25-35 liters) that has a separate compartment for the hydration bladder (in case spillage occurs) and has a pretty comfy suspension system in the vein of the Osprey's and Gregory's?

The Camelbak Highwire 25 does this almost perfectly (plenty of space for clothes, bladder fits like a glove on its own compartment even when full) but the pack being close to my back and the substandard straps that dig on my shoulders leaves much to be desired.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Levitate posted:

Somewhat random question...I assume some people here read backpacking blogs or websites or magazines, do you have things you wish they'd write about that no one seems to do? Everyone loves doing gear reviews or trip reports and stuff like that, just wondering what people would find interesting that they don't see a lot of.
Something like this article maybe?
http://www.outsideonline.com/192631...ing-go?page=all

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

Disharmony posted:

Is there a daypack (maybe 25-35 liters) that has a separate compartment for the hydration bladder (in case spillage occurs) and has a pretty comfy suspension system in the vein of the Osprey's and Gregory's?

The Camelbak Highwire 25 does this almost perfectly (plenty of space for clothes, bladder fits like a glove on its own compartment even when full) but the pack being close to my back and the substandard straps that dig on my shoulders leaves much to be desired.

Try the Osprey Talon series. You can slide the bladder in between the pack and the mesh suspension system. Actually, I think you can do that with most Osprey packs.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Stupid quick question about backpacking permits- When applying for a backpacking permit, do I need all my group members to apply for a permit? Or do I just send in one application listing my total group size?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

TerminalSaint posted:

Wow this is an amazing app, thanks for the idea. Also my Saucony Peregrine 4's arrived last week and they are probably the most amazing shoe I have ever put on my feet. Light, breathable, great traction and a solid looking foot plate. The Peregrine 5's are out now and it looks like the 4's are starting to get heavily discounted online. Might snatch up another few pairs if this pair holds up well over the next few weeks.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lollybo posted:

Stupid quick question about backpacking permits- When applying for a backpacking permit, do I need all my group members to apply for a permit? Or do I just send in one application listing my total group size?

Usually it's one permit for a group and you only need to have the group leaders information on it while listing how many people are in the group

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

:magical:

What a great read!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hiked deep off the beaten path in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park today. Ran into bees*, sort-of-quicksand, brambles, more quicksand, and did I mention brambles?

I think I am sort of getting trench foot too. Yikes.

* the bees were in an apiary I stumbled across. They were active so I moved away very quickly.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Three-Phase posted:

Hiked deep off the beaten path in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park today. Ran into bees*, sort-of-quicksand, brambles, more quicksand, and did I mention brambles?

I think I am sort of getting trench foot too. Yikes.

* the bees were in an apiary I stumbled across. They were active so I moved away very quickly.

That sounds like an awesome outing, no irony.

But then, lately I've been feeling a delusional longing for the Midwest, and CVNP is one of my recent daydream destinations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I went to buy a hammock and there clearly has been a huge advancement in hammock technology sense I last bought one. The price range seems to be like $20 to $200. I just want something simple, rugged, able to support my fat (~220) rear end, and has a simple ring at each end. I will mostly be using it at work in the back of trucks and containers so I don't need any bug netting or what have you. Can anyone recommend one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Time Cowboy posted:

That sounds like an awesome outing, no irony.

But then, lately I've been feeling a delusional longing for the Midwest, and CVNP is one of my recent daydream destinations.

I still don't get how a national park was created in Ohio in 2000.