Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah probably the only way Tidal could be successful is if they get a bunch of real nice exclusive deals. Which could happen. Otherwise i dont see it.

Beats headphones was like a market waiting to get taken by storm. Before, headphones were never thought of as a style accessory or status symbol type of thing. through "brilliant" marketing, beats made it cool to wear some ugly rear end cans around your neck. And here we are. I dont think the market tidal is trying to enter is going to be such a walk in the prk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

thathonkey posted:

Yeah probably the only way Tidal could be successful is if they get a bunch of real nice exclusive deals. Which could happen. Otherwise i dont see it.

Beats headphones was like a market waiting to get taken by storm. Before, headphones were never thought of as a style accessory or status symbol type of thing. through "brilliant" marketing, beats made it cool to wear some ugly rear end cans around your neck. And here we are. I dont think the market tidal is trying to enter is going to be such a walk in the prk

I think Jay is a savvy enough businessman that it probably won't be a total flop for him, even Kendrick has been debating signing on. If he has enough high powered people backing his stuff and the marketing is good (it will be) this will be a money positive venture. If he gets creative with releases and changes contract structures when it comes to album sales he could also latch on to some up and coming artists and make them exclusives.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Harley C posted:

That is the goal of almost every mastering. It is also unlikely that he did the mastering and mixdown himself and even if he did, it is still standard practice.
I was always under the impression that the engineering and mix was all dre ever did.

temple fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 3, 2015

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Don't forget Jay's greatest business success, the Skullcandy Roc Nation headphones

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

temple posted:

I was always under the impression that the engineering and mixwas all dre ever did.

Are there any articles about dre in the studio? Id like to know more as well since he has legendary status. But is he more like a traditional music producer with a background role rather than those focused on making the beats etc?

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

temple posted:

I was always under the impression that the engineering and mix was all dre ever did.

Even if he did, making music sound good on various systems is a fundamental part of mastering. I'm not surprised people are throwing his name around to make a point, it isn't really anything special or unique to him though.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Dre really does a lot of mixing. He is credited for it on half the tracks on GKMC, a couple on MMLP2 and all of 2001.

It's especially obvious on The Recipe, which sounds exactly like something you would expect from Dre, except he mixed it and someone else had produced it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Well whatever he does he is really good at it i dont think dre has ever failed to make an artist SOUND good

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If you are bored. and enjoy reading what is essentially a goddamn dissertation. Here's one I enjoyed on To Pimp a Butterfly.

http://www.michelle-huxtable.com/2015/03/31/ten-thousand-words-on-kendrick-lamars-to-pimp-a-butterfly/

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
if you are bored: listen to To Pimp a Butterfly :laugh:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

TenaciousTomato posted:

if you are bored: you're listening to To Pimp a Butterfly :laugh:

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Two-9 - B4FRVR > KL - To Pimp a Butterfly

I'm only comparing them cause they were released around the same time. I've definitely gotten much more enjoyment out of the Two-9 mixtape

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

thathonkey posted:

Are there any articles about dre in the studio? Id like to know more as well since he has legendary status. But is he more like a traditional music producer with a background role rather than those focused on making the beats etc?
That's the gist, from everything I've heard or read. He's always had guys around him from Daz, Scott Scorch, Mel-Man, Mike Elizondo, to even Hi-Tek as of recently.

His mixing is what has always gave him a "signature" sound through the years, regardless of the different co-producers he's kept around him and had falling outs with.

If you watched the Shady Records mini-doc you can hear Eminem and even Dre get into details about the process.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I like two-9 but that mixtape was dissapointing. They have great beats and talented rappers and they use it to make the most generic 2015 rap imaginable.

But I'm still listening to tpab regularly so what do I know

Edit:
https://soundcloud.com/bodradio/lil-uzi-vert-dumber

"Make it...
dumber"

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 3, 2015

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Every song that Kenshin posts that no one clicks on > TPAB

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Dexo posted:

If you are bored. and enjoy reading what is essentially a goddamn dissertation. Here's one I enjoyed on To Pimp a Butterfly.

http://www.michelle-huxtable.com/2015/03/31/ten-thousand-words-on-kendrick-lamars-to-pimp-a-butterfly/

A touch on the cliche side, but a good read none the less

temple
Jul 29, 2006

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HU1QJTP8X8

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Every song that Kenshin posts that no one clicks on > TPAB

truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE98b6cuymI

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
At least click this one because it's one of the better tracks off this great album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsgfHLQXVvE

Antequek
May 30, 2014
I've enjoyed both of Futures studio albums as well as the recent mixtapes (except I found 56 Nights redundant) are there any other mixtapes earlier in futures career that stand out that you guys would recommend?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Astronaut status was good

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
True Story, Dirty Sprite, FBG the Movie, Streetz Calling....tbh they're all pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpyCsr_jNjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTgJtdn8X7M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyhT40wOfZk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvO3e_uY_0c

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Antequek posted:

I've enjoyed both of Futures studio albums as well as the recent mixtapes (except I found 56 Nights redundant) are there any other mixtapes earlier in futures career that stand out that you guys would recommend?

tony montana on repeat for 10 hrs (the one w/o drake tho)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Astronaut status was good

Yeah, probably my favorite outside of Monster, Best Mode + 56 Nights.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

This is amazing.

EDIT: What's an easy way to make this half the size? I want this for use on Twitter

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 4, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

40 lbs to freedom posted:

tony montana on repeat for 10 hrs (the one w/o drake tho)

I heard drake and future had a falling out over the video shoot for that song and thats why they havent worked together since afaik somethinng about drake refused to come to cuba for the shoot

temple
Jul 29, 2006

thathonkey posted:

I heard drake and future had a falling out over the video shoot for that song and thats why they havent worked together since afaik somethinng about drake refused to come to cuba for the shoot
Future and Drake were on tour together. I think Future said something about NWTS in an interview. Drake tried to cut his pay. Then, they fell out. It could have stemmed from what you said but those the facts I got.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

temple posted:

I was always under the impression that the eminem and dicks was all dre ever did.

thathonkey posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > Yo! NMD Raps - calling other dudes lover and hubby

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

spoils posted:

Things that have been belittled over the last 2 pages of this thread: white people's opinions about rap, "elitists" about rap, post-racism, racism, not caring about race, childish gambino (donglover!), people who want to talk about race, people who don't want to talk about race, "This Dick Aint Free" (DJs will def play that jazzy interlude that begins with a women yelling for 45 seconds in the club, that'll be a real hit), critics, fantano (for the 100th time in this thread) and keg parties.

And whoever said that kendrick's album felt rushed, that was a good one.
Also, whoever posts and then discusses Pitchfork's eventual rating and review of this album should feel as if they contributed something special to this thread. I just wanted to give a preemptive congratulations to you.

Goons are loving dumb brodawg. I love goons, but we're all a bunch of dumbfucks. The cutest ones are those who think they are superior somehow though, and I tend to read that poo poo and just laugh and remind myself that they're going to be dead and irrelevant as gently caress in less than 100 years.

My final verdict regarding TPAB: it's another brilliant winner. The same thing with GKMC happened with this album; it snuck up on me and its genius felt like an epiphany. The way I normally approach hip-hop is I go for the beats first, then lyrics (which is kinda backwards for hip-hop, I know). I found that with good music usually comes good lyrics. But TPAB and GKMC might have to change the way I view and analyze hip-hop. I always said "music first" but, GKMC and TPAB made me realize that the lyrics can complement the music quite well. I wasn't captivated by the music at first; it seemed dull, dry, kind of off putting (even though I love jazz). I'm very glad I kept pushing though (and I only pushed because I did the same with GKMC), because I'm in love with the music now. Mortal Man, King Kunta, Blacker the Berry, Momma, Hood Politics, How Much A Dollar Cost...gently caress, every song has loving great production for the lyrics.

I remember reading some goons saying that they felt the album felt "unfocused", and while they appreciated the effort, they don't think they'd give it another listen. I highly suggest you keep pushing with it. This album is my second favorite, right after GKMC and above Section 80.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

spoils posted:

Things that have been belittled over the last 2 pages of this thread: white people's opinions about rap, "elitists" about rap, post-racism, racism, not caring about race, childish gambino (donglover!), people who want to talk about race, people who don't want to talk about race, "This Dick Aint Free" (DJs will def play that jazzy interlude that begins with a women yelling for 45 seconds in the club, that'll be a real hit), critics, fantano (for the 100th time in this thread) and keg parties.
I'm from the future and I'm here to tell you that you forgot to add gay people

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

you been cooking that post up for two weeks?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I love Jesus.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 5, 2015

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Kendrick "the mind 2pac sparked that changes the world" Lamar

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

pliable posted:

Goons are loving dumb brodawg. I love goons, but we're all a bunch of dumbfucks.

Same except I hate us all

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
i've spent all day on Soundcloud looking at random artists with less than 5k followers and poo poo and there are so many loving rappers out there, some are quite good and obscure but the shits/production is dope.

https://soundcloud.com/g59/vices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_be4Fxc2OA

go on a journey friends

im gay fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 5, 2015

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

im gay posted:

i've spent all day on Soundcloud looking at random artists with less than 5k followers and poo poo and there are so many loving rappers out there, some are quite good and obscure but the shits/production is dope.

https://soundcloud.com/g59/vices

go on a journey friends

This initial listen kinda reminds me of Tech N9ne's "Trapped In A Psycho's Body" (beatwise). But that's an awesome song, thanks for sharing :)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

pliable posted:

Goons are loving dumb brodawg. I love goons, but we're all a bunch of dumbfucks. The cutest ones are those who think they are superior somehow though, and I tend to read that poo poo and just laugh and remind myself that they're going to be dead and irrelevant as gently caress in less than 100 years.

My final verdict regarding TPAB: it's another brilliant winner. The same thing with GKMC happened with this album; it snuck up on me and its genius felt like an epiphany. The way I normally approach hip-hop is I go for the beats first, then lyrics (which is kinda backwards for hip-hop, I know). I found that with good music usually comes good lyrics. But TPAB and GKMC might have to change the way I view and analyze hip-hop. I always said "music first" but, GKMC and TPAB made me realize that the lyrics can complement the music quite well. I wasn't captivated by the music at first; it seemed dull, dry, kind of off putting (even though I love jazz). I'm very glad I kept pushing though (and I only pushed because I did the same with GKMC), because I'm in love with the music now. Mortal Man, King Kunta, Blacker the Berry, Momma, Hood Politics, How Much A Dollar Cost...gently caress, every song has loving great production for the lyrics.

I remember reading some goons saying that they felt the album felt "unfocused", and while they appreciated the effort, they don't think they'd give it another listen. I highly suggest you keep pushing with it. This album is my second favorite, right after GKMC and above Section 80.

New thread title for the love of god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In hip-hop news that actually matters, Spitta streamed Pilot Talk III last night and it's not too hard to find now. He's got a Riff Raff verse on a Harry Fraud beat. Unsurprisingly awesome album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDLpZofvCHY

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 5, 2015