Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Newest thing: Leylite's Nail/Rail Challenge Attempt

TooMuchAbstraction's Run!

Do you want to do a run of Teleglitch? Let me know, I'd love to have some other people running and talking too!

Oh, mother. Let's do this. Explanation of the game / intro below all the video links here.

NOTE: Spoiler-friendly thread. There's really not much of a plot to spoil. I want to get out of a place, join me as I do so, violently! There are laser squids and missile launchers. Feel free to make fun of my awful health loss, ammo waste, and crafting decisions.

So each time we die, we'll call that a new run: Origins will be a SSLP-update of the origins of our latest hero, everything else will be VLP.

Leylite Module 1 - Timeline Deviation

Leylite Module 2 - Bigger Fish to Fry

Leylite Module 3 - Disassembly

Leylite Module 4 - The Looney Bin

Leylite Module 5: Marching Off To War

Leylite Module 6: Snake Man's Nest

Leylite Module 7: Robot Revolution

Leylite Module 8: Dreadnought

Leylite Module 9: Empirical Observations

Leylite Module 10: End of the Line

Leylite's Nail/Rail Challenge Attempt

TMA's run!

=========================================================
Extra Challenges, Mods, Arena stuff, and Junk
=========================================================

Medusa -1C memorial graveyard (the first grave is for everybody else who died in the Teleglitch Incident, subsequent ones will be for the heroes of the various runs)

Explanation for all this mess

Alright Bacter. What is this mess. What have you done?

Teleglitch! Variously described as a Quakelike, a Roguelike, a Quakelike Roguelike, a Dark Soulslike (it's not. It's hard? Maybe that's what they meant?) and a tooth-grindingly hard death slog, this game has nevertheless caught me in its awful machinery, killing me over and over again, while I willingly sign back up for more.

Weird. Alright, how does it play?

Well, it's a top-down shooter, with some crafting elements in it. It's a roguelike in that there is permadeath, and since the last update, the game has been storing savegames on Steam's server, so you can't even make local copies or any mess like that?

Alright, what's the challenge?

Mostly that you're fragile as the goodness, and resources are limited. You can scrounge bullets, guns, medpacks, and crafting gear in every level, but you'll never have enough to truly feel comfortable, except maybe in chapters 1 and 2. And if you use it too quickly, oh you fool. You NEED plenty of strong weapons and medpacks for bosses at levels (maybe 3), 5, 6, 8, and 10.

How long's the game?

10 levels. The one exception to true roguelike carry-nothing-over death are checkpoints. If you make it to level 5, you can start from level 3/3b, make it to level 7 and you can start from level 5, make it to 9 and you can start from 7, and make it to the final level, 10, you can start from level 9.

Crafting, huh? Sounds dumb

It's not too bad, actually! It's more of a decision tree: there are limited numbers of crafting material X, and you can either assemble gun Y or item Z with them, but probably not both. You pick your playstyle, and go with what makes the most sense given the ammo and health you've been finding.

How's the LP gonna go?

I'll play until I win. I've beaten the final boss, uh, o..once! I know it can be done, is what I'm saying. My pledge to you is that you'll see all of my runs, unless I start to die a BUNCH a bunch, and then I'll probably just summarize each one and pick up when I get to the next checkpoint.[/b]

Sounds like you're not very good at this game.

I'm... I'll say decent. I'm not, as a rule, "31337", but I feel like I've developed an understanding of this game. That said, this game is HARD. You can be having an awesome run, get trapped in a corner by a mutant, and that's it, 2 hours down the drain. Luckily for the LP, each level takes about 1/2 hour.

Tell me the DEEPLY MEANINGFUL, RICH BACKSTORY of the teleglitch universe.

Ugh. Fine. It's the space future, and in the grimdark world of super space, corporations own everything. We work for Militech, one of the three big arms companies. We specialize in re-animated and mutant soldiers, though we have a strong niche in robots, powerful computing, and other gee-whiz sci-fi stuff like teleportation.

We were running a teleportation experiment, and it went haywire for reasons too stupid to note.

The setting is super generic, but I actually like all the background in the audio logs - this is a universe I could imagine a good many more cool games being set in. Again, I'll be posting all of those logs below.

As for THIS game? We are BRUCE GORILLAS (name subject to change if when Bruce dies. We work for Militech, and we were around when things went south. We are now trying to escape.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Pro LPers always reserve the second post!

TooMuchAbstraction summarized the Teleglitch experience in 28 amazing seconds

Enemies discussion

My 2 Cents on Crafting

Leylite's response

Bacter fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 24, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Bacter posted:

Pro LPers always reserve the second post!

Even if they never do anything with it! :v:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

REAL pro LPers use the second post!

Also, incidentally, that nailgun bomb did a COMPLETELY appropriate amount of damage. Don't uh, don't be near those when they go off.

ixcthu
Oct 16, 2003

I may not be much, but I'm all I think about.
Looking forward to this. I couldn't get very far in this game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bacter posted:

REAL pro LPers use the second post!

Also, incidentally, that nailgun bomb did a COMPLETELY appropriate amount of damage. Don't uh, don't be near those when they go off.

And here I was hoping that by freak accident 100% of the nails shot through the tiny door crack and right into your spleen.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Update 2: I've got some 'splaining to do, but it'll wait until after dinner.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 1, 2015

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to this, I got this game a while back but for some reason I couldn't really get a hang of the controls (I was using a gamepad...I think). I have wanted to give it another try at some point though.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 1, 2015

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Enjoying the LP so far. This doesn't look like my kind of game, but I could be mistaken. I loved Risk of Rain despite not thinking I'd enjoy it at all either.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This is one of those games that's very close to something that I would like, but makes decisions I find kind of infuriating. Specifically, the enemies all look very similar at a glance but have wildly varying abilities; it's possible to die incredibly quickly; you spend a lot of time replaying earlier levels each time you die; you borderline have to 100% the early levels for the resources they give; the game actively tries to stop you from cheating despite being singleplayer (c.f. cloud-only saves).

The devs clearly have a vision for their game that requires at least some of these things -- it would be very easy for example to allow more frequent checkpoints or to better-differentiate the enemy sprites, so the fact that they didn't is telling. Which is why I say the game isn't for me rather than that the game is a bad game. Well, that and because clearly there are people who enjoy playing it. I'll just stick to watching it, now, thanks.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
While I did enjoy this game, I still never managed to beat it because I just don't have the patience to not shoot guys. I would kite a lot of guys into the void blobs but then I think "Man, I've got a lot of things that explode in my pocket. I should use those!"...and that would never work out well. For me or the mutants. Still I look forward to your pro strats; maybe it'll allow me to finish the game finally.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

PotatoManJack posted:

Enjoying the LP so far. This doesn't look like my kind of game, but I could be mistaken. I loved Risk of Rain despite not thinking I'd enjoy it at all either.

I'm glad! It's a lot of fun to play.

Honestly, Risk of Rain is a good analogy here. The game feels stupidly hard the first couple times you play, and, unless you're pro ice or something better than me, you'll hit the wall of "oh, I guess we'll never make it past level 6". But it's totally possible!

Incidentally, I'm NOT expecting to make it past level 6 in one life - my strong guess is I'll make it baaaarely to 6, hit the boss there, and get just obliterated. Just creamed like corn. You guys'll see when we get there. This game does boss encounters really well, along with atmosphere and, I'll admit, I actually like the camera + graphics.

I dunno, most reviews I've seen talk about how ugly the game is, and it just doesn't seem that way to me. It's minimalistic I guess? I don't find it particularly muddy. I can differentiate scenery from enemies, and all the different enemy types, and see damage and etc. really well. I AM a big pixel-fan, so maybe that's got something to do with it.

ANYWAY: On to the pressing issue. I'm not going to consider Bruce Gorillas done yet, because it was a dumb glitchy thing that caused the game to freeze up instead of a true death. I just, as I said in the thread, replayed the first level without exploding a nailbomb in my stupid face. If the thread thinks so, I will include a memorial gravestone in the graveyard for the restart.

For fluff purposes, consider that there was a teleportation error, and it "rebooted" Bruce to an earlier state. And gave him glitchtune headphones.

I'll be including music in every video from now on, because I personally find it nicer to listen to!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is one of those games that's very close to something that I would like, but makes decisions I find kind of infuriating. Specifically, the enemies all look very similar at a glance but have wildly varying abilities; it's possible to die incredibly quickly; you spend a lot of time replaying earlier levels each time you die; you borderline have to 100% the early levels for the resources they give; the game actively tries to stop you from cheating despite being singleplayer (c.f. cloud-only saves).

The devs clearly have a vision for their game that requires at least some of these things -- it would be very easy for example to allow more frequent checkpoints or to better-differentiate the enemy sprites, so the fact that they didn't is telling. Which is why I say the game isn't for me rather than that the game is a bad game. Well, that and because clearly there are people who enjoy playing it. I'll just stick to watching it, now, thanks.

This is almost in a nutshell my rationale for LP-ing the game. I know this stuff SHOULD bug me, but for whatever reason the game mechanics grip me enough that I don't mind. I will say that the quick deaths are especially infuriating. I've had more than one run get to level 7 (the furthest I've ever gotten on a single run) only to turn the corner and one of the six-armed battle mutants does me in. For reference, I face one of those in level TWO, so them killing me is bad.

Oh man one time I made it to level 7, was doing great, and walked into an insta-death blob. Those things are evil.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 2, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Chalk me up for another person who loves to see this played, but couldn't get the hang of it himself. Everything about the game intrigues me, I just wasn't expecting it to involve so much skill. Even just shooting things is moderately difficult, never mind knifing things. The sound and visuals for shooting are all so drat satisfying too that I never even thought of making extensive use of the knife.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Seems my reaction to Teleglitch was more common than I thought. Shooting stuff felt like the right thing to do, compounded by the game's advertising invoking Doom and Quake. Whenever I'd piss away the last of my ammo I was unsure what I was doing wrong. Only months later did someone convey to me that I should have been stabbing most things to death.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Alright, episode then comments.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Alright, enemy talk: (click on picture of enemies for full profile)

Levels 1 and 2 are... well not BORING, but when somebody of middling skill plays (e.g. me), it's frankly embarrassing to die in them.

That's because the baddies are limited in level 1 to these:

LEVEL 1 ENEMIES

And really all you learn here is that

1) there are enemies, and

2) these enemies are mad at you.

Just kite all of these suckers, you don't even get big zombie swarms. You MIGHT use your guns a little to thin out big herds, you might explode a nailbomb in your face, but that's about it.

Level 2 enemies

In level 2 you get a whole swath of new baddies to contend with, including

and

Which are the only two we got, and they train you to use your ranged weapons. You'll absolutely die fighting Mr. Large Mutant in particular, though the strong zombies aren't any joke either. You CAN get giant zombies in level 2, and I kind of wish we did, because these guys are supposed to train you to get out of the line of fire of ranged enemies - their thrown projectile only does 10 or so damage, and they don't rapid-fire it, but it's a nice transitional enemy.

Level 3 enemies

Then, in level 3, we start to get SERIOUS.

The guards and, if you can swing it, War Walkers are essentially a master class on using cover and retreating and being cautious. Either will end you, the War Walkers will just accomplish it more quickly.

War Walkers are also our first real foray into armor. As I say in the clip, it just means small-bore shells and shotguns are just useless against them. I should count how many 9mms it takes to put one down, but that's an armchair activity I'll take up after Bruce dies.

Level 4 enemies

This is the first level you'll find the stuck-to-the-wall-type enemies on - cameras and turrets

Level 5 enemies

Nothing here but the knowledge that enemies start to get upgraded after a certain point:

Then comes the first major boss.

Level 6 enemies

And they throw some other junk at us, too.

Level 7 enemies

Aaaaand at this point it's just a potpourri of everybody else we haven't met yet:

Level 8 enemies

At this point, there are only bosses. Level 8 throws this bad boy at you:

Level 9 enemies

Nobody new. Just prepare prepare prepare for the end:

Level 9 enemies

This is it: one last challenge, and you're through!

Arena Only Enemy

Also, there is one enemy that I don't think shows up outside of the arena:

They're pretty underwhelming. Just worse zombies, and they aren't even a class in how to conserve ammo by shooting them, because that's not a worry in the arena. I just think they didn't work out in the main game, so this was a dumping place for them.

Unused enemies

Though it's a real shame, these two have descriptions in the enemies log but don't show up in-game ever:

Teleglitch enemy source code posted:

Biounit M-2 "Jumping Spider" (jumping mutant)

The M2 version of the cloned battle mutant has enhanced jumping muscles and even lighter body frame, allowing for improved tactical combat mobility and over 25% increased general lethality score.

=======================================================================================================================================

Biounit M-4 "Sponge" (slow brown mutant)

Meant to be used as living shields, the M4 battle mutants have been designed to sacrifice speed for improved constitution. Their improved durability comes from a dense sponge-like tissue under their thick skin that works like natural armor. When deployed in battles, they are fitted with additional steel armor vests.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 24, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
:argh: those rear end in a top hat guards :argh:

I made multiple runs of the game, spending half an hour or more getting to level three, and then dying when I ran into a guard because I failed to realize what they were or because they're more accurate than I am especially when I'm trying to dodge.

I only made it past level 3 once, I think, and then I promptly died on level 4.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I am no good at stabbing things in this game. I am pretty decent at kiting them into the void, though. It's too bad that that's such a tedious way to defeat enemies. I WAS hoping it would wind up being another one of those indie games I couldn't help but play over and over, like Risk Of Rain, but Teleglitch never hooked me in that way. Ah, well.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, voidkiting is a fine tactic if you're RIGHT BY one. It's not worth it at all to run back to one, you don't have to be THAT optimal. I seriously have no idea if the game keeps track of the # of enemies you've pushed in the void for any reason beyond there being an achievement for it.

One problem with the "only one save" system is that really any monkeying around deletes that save, like I THINK I could do some arenas without it messing with my save, but I'm too paranoid that something would go wrong. I think basically any time the game crashes that's just that. Otherwise I'd record a little knife tutorial.

But knifing is its own separate skill. As you can see, I'm no master, but a lot of it just comes down to recognizing the enemy's patterns. Doing a kind of matador thing where you run them around you helps, as does realizing that you're right handed with your melee weapon, so keeping them on your right side makes for easier stabs. Honestly, it's only a necessary skill for the first three levels or so, and after that you'll basically always want to be shooting, even after (if you) craft the electro-blade.

Actually, said blade brings up the only real gripe I have with the game, draconian save system notwithstanding. There aren't multiple, equally-good crafting options. Specifically, the nailgun is super hyped up and super garbage. You need a 9MM + hardware + tube to make one, and while you might have a few 9MMs lying around, you don't get hardware until the end of level 2 into 3, and, ok:

Nailguns are 1) short range, 2) ammo-hungry, and 3) not at ALL armor piercing. The short range bit in particular means guards effortlessly outclass them, unless you can get VERY up close and personal. Being able to use nail ammo is kind of nice, but you can use your RDX 250 for other, better things. After level 4 or so the nailgun is just totally useless, because everything's armored.

Once you've got the nailgun you can further waste resources expanding it with more pipes to a nailgun2, 3, 4, and 5. Each one worse than the one before, because you're wasting more ammo per shot. Also, you need those pipes for crafting!

So you can pour a 9MM, hardware, and 5 tubes into a piece of junk that just takes up inventory space, OR you can keep your gear and craft WAY better things with it. This is even more true with LargeTubes and magnets, but I'll deal with those later. Basically, all you need to know is a Serious Run of the game will not include a nailgun, at least for me. Maybe somebody knows how to work them better.

Edit: My 2 cents - I think this game would be much more fun/popular if they had a way to include multiplayer. MUCH.

Double edit: The 6T revolver is another example of something that's just useless. Sure, it's powerful, but it's spreadfire so to even use it you'll have to be pretty close to the enemy, and anything that's strong enough to need the 6T revolver you don't want to be next to.

Triple edit: VVV The AGL is a weakness of mine. I keep forgetting that it's got more uses than just zombie rushes.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 3, 2015

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks for doing an LP of this game - it's tricky to LP this in an entertaining manner, since some of the "downtime" of crafting, inventory management and backtracking can be a little boring to watch, but top-down shooter tactics and game design are always good discussion material. It's also understandably difficult to provide live commentary over such a twitchy action game.

About the nailguns: I mostly agree, the nailguns take up inventory space and are only useful for some niche situations like zombie hordes and dealing with some enemies the LP hasn't gotten to yet. They're occasionally useful for saving ammo by using nail shots and thereby saving your 9mm and shotgun shells, but you're not starving for those particular ammo types by the end of the game and can usually spare them. On a similar note, I like using the nailgun in the late game to open secret walls, so I can save agl and other ammo. I'll probably talk more about it when we get to levels 7 and 8, by which time the bestiary will be mostly complete.

Fun fact: A single AGL grenade will pulp an orange guard, just like a zombie or mutant. The trouble is that the AGL does have a little bit of spread, so it's hard to get it at long range - easier near corners to duck around.

Leylite fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 3, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh, you liked guards? How about A TON OF THEM ALL AT ONCE?

Alright goons, this is where we start getting serious.

I frankly wouldn't have posted a run where I died on level 1.
I would have been embarrassed if I'd died on level 2.
I would have been disappointed if I'd died on level 3.

Level 4 and on is where the shame goes away. Level 4 will kill you in seconds, level 5 will kill almost everybody their first time around (guaranteed war walkers), and level 6... well, no guarantee that I'll make it past level 5 on this life, but level 6 will almost certainly end me. Not to jinx it!

There's a divergent path starting at level 2, and I went 2 -> 3 -> 4 just for the secret on level 3, but at level 5 all paths merge back together, so everybody gets the same war walker arena. Interestingly, the next boss has two different possible arenas because of differing paths again. But that's getting WAY ahead of ourselves.

After I post the logs for this chapter (last chapter's logs are already posted), I'll have to do a little bit about crafting and my thoughts on what's worth it. Probably up tonight or tomorrow.

Incidentally, these things take 0 time to edit, apart from choosing music from the glitch section of the free music archive, so I'm anticipating 1 level a day. That means that best case the main run will be over in about a week! (Best Case is NOT expected case).

Bacter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 4, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Ok a short bit on crafting, the potential problem, and a potential defense:

Here's the whole inventory

Some of this stuff you don't craft, you have to find:

Some of it you can't craft OR find, you've got to draw it randomly as starting gear:

And most of the rest of it just really, in my opinion, isn't worth crafting:

Which means the actual list of things you should craft is, uh, kind of small:

(note: due to operator error, the mg-hv shows up on two lists. It IS worth crafting!)

Now, you'll have enough gear to craft all the must-have stuff in any one game, but you'll burn through a lot of games messing about with the "not worth it" list before you whittle it down to something doable. If my list is the same as everybody's, that's kind of a crappy way to increase difficulty.

In defense of the game, I should say, it's entirely possible that this looks just bonkers to somebody else, and they've got a different "win list", and if that's true, well, then that's part of the game - deciding what you're going to get, and working out which decisions to make.

Anybody else have a list different from mine?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I don't have a win list cause I've never made it past stage 3. That said:

Bacter posted:

Here's the whole inventory

What's the top right item supposed to be? Or is it a mistake and not actually supposed to be there?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Top-right is "small armor", totally impossible to get in-game. :v:

There are also some un-unlockable log entries and enemies, which I dug through the game files to at least get descriptions for.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Bacter posted:

Anybody else have a list different from mine?

I mostly agree with your list, but I've gotten some great use out of the following items:

- pzfaust (non-ap): These do less damage than the ap version, but they explode with splash damage. For example, the pzfaust ap will definitely kill a single War Walker in one hit, whereas the pzfaust regular won't (I think it does around 2/3 the health bar? Not sure, haven't looked up the exact damage values). I find these are more useful because the real "oh poo poo" moments come when you have a large number of opponents (e.g. 3 war walkers, 2 laser squids + some guards, etc.) They'll tend to either clump up as the player runs circles around them, or all come as part of the same search party, which means being able to splash-damage all of them *and* kill off the less-beefy enemies with one shot can be really useful, especially if the player is in a corner. Standard FPS wisdom applies here, though - don't use a rocket launcher at point-blank.

They also take one fewer can per rocket, so you can turn more of your RDX 500s into rockets!

- nailbomb: I like to keep one stack of nailbombs just so I get some use out of the random nailboxes found in the later levels - basically, at the expense of an extra inventory slot, you get to make your RDX 250s much more powerful, as long as you're careful about how you use them. For example, an RDX 250 alone won't take care of an entire zombie swarm from a pipe, but a well-placed nailbomb will. Nailbombs are also surprisingly effective against armored enemies if the nails hit point-blank.

- railgun: The main reason not to craft a railgun is that it takes a magnet, which can be used for the magshield. I've experimented with both and the magshield is probably better most of the time, but the nice thing about the railgun is that it pierces. Thus, like the pzfaust, it's great at hitting multiple armored enemies with the same shot. It also reloads really quickly (although you have to reload after every shot), so it could be a viable alternative to the lasgun.

- nailgun3: I cite the nailgun3 in particular because it basically turns the nailgun into a shotgun that uses nail ammo, which makes it surprisingly useful as long as it's used against unarmored and lightly armored enemies, at precisely the right range (not quite point-blank against enemies that shoot back, but not so far that the damage falls off too much). I rarely upgrade the nailgun at all (just use nailgun1 if I'm using a nailgun) but I did get some use out of the higher-level nailguns when I had them.

- Minigun: Only worth crafting if by some miracle the level 5 War Walkers drop a motor and you find a particular secret room in level 6 that has the four mg3200s you need and you just keep the thing loaded and in your inventory as a panic button.

That said, I definitely agree with most of your list and think it's a bit unfortunate that there aren't more weapons that are highly viable for the endgame. Most of the weapons are useful and can get the job done, and you can beat the game with almost any weapon loadout, but there are some that are definitely more efficient than others.

Leylite fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 4, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Leylite posted:

- railgun: The main reason not to craft a railgun is that it takes a magnet, which can be used for the magshield. I've experimented with both and the magshield is probably better most of the time, but the nice thing about the railgun is that it pierces. Thus, like the pzfaust, it's great at hitting multiple armored enemies with the same shot. It also reloads really quickly (although you have to reload after every shot), so it could be a viable alternative to the lasgun.

This could be just me having crappy aim or something, but I emptied a whole 20 shots of it into the final boss and basically saw zero effect. That's basically the only reason I wouldn't take it - one shotting some of the later enemies is VERY NICE.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Bacter posted:

This could be just me having crappy aim or something, but I emptied a whole 20 shots of it into the final boss and basically saw zero effect. That's basically the only reason I wouldn't take it - one shotting some of the later enemies is VERY NICE.

I just did a test run of the game starting at level 9 (so I could craft a railgun immediately). It turns out the railgun does very little (if any) damage to secret walls.

Maybe the final boss' turrets are also implemented as the same stuff (maybe with more health)? That could explain why the lasgun and minigun do so much more damage to it than the railgun does.

Leylite fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 4, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Consider this part 1 of the 2-part boss rush of levels 5-6.

Level 6 is really tense, not only because I've been building it for the whole stinkin' LP, but because if you manage to topple the boss there, you unlock the second checkpoint!

What it will come down to, is if I did well enough in this level to see me through.

Also if I get a certain drop that I did NOT get in this level. THE TENSION MOUNTS!

Only one new enemy this level:

But he's bad enough. Auto-shotguns just absolutely ruin your day.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 5, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Happy Easter, everybody!

Now, to celebrate the season, let's watch.... let's watch THIS happen. I tried to warn you.

I have more to say about this update, but I'll wait and not spoil all the happenings for anybody watching.

I will say one thing, and I'm spoilering the next message, read it after you watch the video. You don't have to spoiler your answers.

WOOOOOOO. I feel like I deserve some congratulations :colbert:. This is literally the first time I've beaten this guy starting from level 1!

Here's a dump of the stuff I've been neglecting

And the monster update for the 6th chapter (this is only spoilers if you want to be totally surprised by what you encounter, nothing major)

Without spoilers, I will say that I 100% take back all the mean things I said about the shockblade.

Shockblade, you are great, and I just didn't appreciate you.

ALSO: I realized something last level - I always thought it was crappy that they sent in 2-3 guards after you as soon as you finish up with the War Walker fight, but instead of meanness I THINK it's probably just bad level design!

I bet those guards are the "patrolling" monsters mentioned in this update, so they are meant to walk all throughout the level, but they can't get through the locked boss room door, so they pile up there. Once you beat the war walkers, the door unlocks and they pile in.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 6, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Nice work, but holy crap it was hair-raising how every time you teleported you'd just run right back out into live fire without healing! I was almost yelling at my screen "BACTER! YOU HAVE FIFTY HEALTH!"

Also, I think you left a Plate somewhere in the level that you could have used to make some armor after defeating the boss.

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
From what you said I guess there is quite a benefit for starting from a shortcut then?

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

8_Escape posted:

From what you said I guess there is quite a benefit for starting from a shortcut then?

Not really. You save time, but you'll start with less stuff compared to if you started at level 1.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Jesus Christ this game loves to wreck your poo poo. A boss that just swipes all your health away with a single salvo does not pull any punches.

I love everything about this. The music, the gun effects, the fact that I don't have to play this but can instead enjoy watching someone more skillful than I.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh man, I love this game. Where to start?

I love that the game actually teaches you stuff. It's not a grind, it's not sequence memorization, but player skill does a lot. You suffer at first, you get to level 2-3 and die from bad preparation, you start using the knife to save ammo, you learn the hard way when's a good point to stop using the knife, you learn to kite guards and anticipate their movement, you learn what an EM detector does (I never created that actually, I thought it was just an upgrade to detect swarmbots), you learn to use AP weapons and explosives when you encounter mechs, blah blah blah. The point is, the game plays very fast but gives you an actual sense of accomplishment for every level beaten.

I love the guards. Oh man, I love the concept. Sure, faceless legions of random mooks are good to unstress yourself, but these are something similar to your character - someone smart enough to cooperate, use cover, and set an ambush, and armed with automatic weapons. It gets even worse when you (I don't think you showed this?) get a crack security team called on you, that starts in some entrance and tracks you through the level - is this what cameras do if you fail to destroy them carefully?

And the setting. From the hilariously overdone super-oppressive corporation stuff, to the whole experiment ("Let's just grab one single molecule from another universe, just to be safe" "Guess what shithead, it doesn't have to play by your rules and can be an autonomous sentient entity, have some null-space pudding") to the graphics. I love the pixel look because it can be polished, too many devs nowadays seem to say "I maed my game low-res, gimme money for retro" but here you can see everything's been polished to the extent the overall graphic level allows. There's civilian/technical equipment in the right places, pre-generated rooms don't seem jarring (it's corporate, of course stuff gets standardized) and it's consistent with the fluff provided by the terminals. Love it.

But enough with my :circlefap: about the game. I've been watching your LP since the beginning and you're doing it really well. I appreciate your playstyle - more careful and methodical than mine, I can and do learn quite a bit from that.Mine is very ambushy and intuitive, so I tend to miss a lot of detail about enemy tactic and capabilities.

(but craft that teleport already, ffs :argh:)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

8_Escape posted:

There is if you've typically been careless enough that you're crawling into level 6 with almost no health/packs left. Starting from a shortcut gives you decent gear, and you don't have to re-do the same levels again. Honestly, it's probably as much a psychological boon as anything else.

Fleve posted:

Jesus Christ this game loves to wreck your poo poo. A boss that just swipes all your health away with a single salvo does not pull any punches.

Also keep in mind there's a boss every two levels from here on out, and this is the weakest. Doesn't even have rapid-fire missile launchers!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 5, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Okay, speaking as someone who hasn't played this game nearly as much as you, god drat you needed to ditch that Fat John a few levels back. I can't count the number of times you've fired it twice at close-in enemies, not killed them, and then taken damage (or in this video, gotten killed) because you had to reload. You made that assault shotgun (with, what was it, a 20-round magazine?) and then never fired it once; maybe wasting an extra shell per enemy due to wider spread seems more than worth not getting caught with your pants down. And judging from the swarmbots, that AGL-1 just isn't worth using from level 6 onwards.

But anyway. Congrats on beating that boss! That thing had way too much health, cripes.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Man, in ep 4 every time you said "nailgun" I cringed. Boah your devotion to outmoded technology is gonna get yew kilt.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Drop some of your old guns, you packrat. Enjoying the LP though.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I have a new condition for Bruce Gorillas: Bruce develops a trusting, buddy-cop relationship with his first gun: until I run completely out of ammo, the Fat John stays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Only if when Bruce dies, he says "Curse you, Fat John, for your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

• Locked thread