Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jesus Christ this is going to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sweet Zombie Jesus. :vince:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That trailer is definitely raising my expectations, not just for Daredevil but for Iron-Fist too. If the action is that good in Daredevil, hopefully the action in a show about a character whose super power is rear end-kicking will be even better. I'm really hoping they keep the seven mystical cities and legacy hero stuff that was introduced a few years back, but wouldn't be surprised if they dropped it. Does Iron-Fish have much history or fluff to draw on outside of that stuff?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

tsob posted:

Does Iron-Fish have much history or fluff to draw on outside of that stuff?

He has a deep ocean of stories to pick from.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Iron Fist is probably most well known for being buddies with Luke Cage and their duo book of "Heroes for Hire". Even when that team doesn't have a book, they're frequently working together. There's a lot of, at best, hokey and at worst, really bad stories surrounding both characters. But the roots of both characters are strong and I'm sure they can carry their own series.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Error 404 posted:

Yeah, it's not really definable. While there were definitely episodes and moments that wowed me, it was never actually "good" more like it was fun and entertaining as gently caress to the point its flaws didn't matter.

Jupiter's Cock.

You and me, outside, now!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
It is unfortunate that Fox owns Dr. Doom, so there's little chance of Luke Cage getting to perform the antics leading to "Where's my money Honey?" $300 bucks is the best reason to help a coup attempt and then put down said coup attempt. I am pretty curious if Jessica Jones is just going to be Alias, I don't remember any comics for her before that came out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Coffeehitler posted:

It is unfortunate that Fox owns Dr. Doom, so there's little chance of Luke Cage getting to perform the antics leading to "Where's my money Honey?" $300 bucks is the best reason to help a coup attempt and then put down said coup attempt. I am pretty curious if Jessica Jones is just going to be Alias, I don't remember any comics for her before that came out.

Alias invented JJ.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Alias invented JJ.

Actually JJ invented Alias. Not long after Felicity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Thats it turn in your mod star and gun.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

IIRC Brubaker and Fraction wrote some great Iron Fist stories. That's where my familiarity with the character begins and ends, but I'm looking forward to it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notthegoatseguy posted:

Iron Fist is probably most well known for being buddies with Luke Cage and their duo book of "Heroes for Hire". Even when that team doesn't have a book, they're frequently working together. There's a lot of, at best, hokey and at worst, really bad stories surrounding both characters. But the roots of both characters are strong and I'm sure they can carry their own series.

Heroes for hire was one of those moments in comics where you wonder why it doesn't happen more often-two guys team up, and rather than going their separate ways figure 'hey, we get along pretty well, let's work together'. Outside of cases why they form a team of several people, I think the only other case where it turned into a partnership was Green Arrow/Green Lantern.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

tsob posted:

Does Iron-Fish have much history or fluff to draw on outside of that stuff?

Some, but more of his stories sink than swim.

Seconding that after seeing how great and visceral the fight choreography is for Daredevil, they could loving kill it in Iron Fist.

Though it's tough to find awesome martial artists who can pull off that choreography and also act competently. My current neckbeard moron fancasting is Tom Wu, who played Hundred Eyes on Marco Polo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Deadpool posted:

:golfclap:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Xealot posted:

Some, but more of his stories sink than swim.

Seconding that after seeing how great and visceral the fight choreography is for Daredevil, they could loving kill it in Iron Fist.

Though it's tough to find awesome martial artists who can pull off that choreography and also act competently. My current neckbeard moron fancasting is Tom Wu, who played Hundred Eyes on Marco Polo.

Tom Wu would be pretty drat cool.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Deadpool posted:

But I thought Marc Guggenheim invented Felicity :confused:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Error 404 posted:

Yeah, it's not really definable. While there were definitely episodes and moments that wowed me, it was never actually "good" more like it was fun and entertaining as gently caress to the point its flaws didn't matter.

Jupiter's Cock.

Incorrect.
It was genuinely fantastic.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Deakul posted:

Incorrect.
It was genuinely fantastic.

I love the show, and I always will, but man...I just did a full rewatch like, last month, and it was pretty silly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Error 404 posted:

I love the show, and I always will, but man...I just did a full rewatch like, last month, and it was pretty silly.

The last season was Start Every Fight By Jumping!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Soonmot posted:

Just like Arrow

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Azhais posted:

Just like Arrow

Or, in Roy's case, consists of nothing but jumping in clever ways (at least until he's knocked out, tranquilized, etc...).

I'm actually just now getting up to speed on the last couple of seasons of Spartacus. I watched the first season and Gods of the Arena when they aired (Netflix still had a deal with STARZ, at the time). Now that the rest are up on Netflix, I'll probably finish it. It will be weird without Andy in the lead role, though.

I know a few people have voiced concerns about Daredevil, but the last two trailers have definitely sold me on this. It also looks like Marvel is going out of their way to find the right showrunners for each series, which is great. I hope the entire project is successful, as I think the brand of serialized storytelling they're shooting for will work much better in the Netflix/TV format than the movie format. I wouldn't be bummed if they moved AoS and Agent Carter to Netflix and did the same thing with them, although I can't really see it happening. I would kill for a 'Nick Fury: Agent of Shield' show set in the 70's/80's on Netflix, though.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Along with smashing at least one face in with the Roman standard

*cue screeching eagle sound effect

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Coffeehitler posted:

Actually, it was $200. You don't wanna see what Luke would do if it was $300...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, the showrunners are preparing for a second season already.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Actually, it was $200. You don't wanna see what Luke would do if it was $300...

You're right it was $200. For $300, Luke would have kept Latveria.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Coffeehitler posted:

You're right it was $200. For $300, Luke would have kept Latveria.

I'd read that issue of What If?.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Barry Convex posted:

Grain of salt: Devin Faraci says he's "hearing very bad buzz on Daredevil." Granted, he's been pretty negative on the show and the rest of the Defenders project for a while, so we'll have to wait until the reviews hit (later this week, I think) to see how much of this is confirmation bias and how much is an accurate summary of critical opinion.

Hahah:

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/585630283883479040

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Look, I'm happy to concede that I haven't seen these episodes, so for all I (and any of us for that matter) know, Devin's sources could be dead on and the first four or so episodes could be limp. Wouldn't be the first time promising trailers and strong advance reviews led to a disappointing product (Star Trek: Into Darkness), nor would it be the first time Steven S. DeKnight got a show rolling after a rocky start.

Having said that, let's go ad hominem, just for shits and giggles.

Netflix Marvel: the ones about your mother's dick sucking.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Hype Status: Intensifying :vince:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This guy doesn't review shows, he just says what other reviewers told him? What a hack.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I'm hyped as hell for Daredevil, but I do have one minor reservation. Based on hearing Matt's dialogue in the trailers, it doesn't really sound like Charlie Cox is doing the greatest job hiding his accent. This is probably totally unfair and I definitely wouldn't have this reaction had I not been a Boardwalk Empire fan, but I can't help but get the overwhelming feeling that his voice is "a guy from the UK affecting an American accent and occasionally slipping," which is rare because in most cases I don't notice stuff like that all. In fact in the beginning of his scenes in trailer #3 (from when he first wakes up in bed when Foggy calls him until partway through his first lines speaking to Karen) it just sounds like he's doing a straight up Irish accent* to the point where I thought to myself "Wait, are they just going to straight up make Matt someone who has an accent from the UK?" And it wasn't even clear to me that he was even trying to affect an American accent until a few moments later. It was a bit distracting. Just a minor thing though.

*and yes I know he's British and not Irish but he played an Irish guy on Boardwalk Empire so my mind naturally went there

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Tim Goodman (THR) and Noel Murray (freelance, but mostly AV Club) didn't like the screener episodes. Aside from that, all the opinions/reviews I've seen have been positive, though a lot of the critics still haven't weighed in.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

AbsolutelySane posted:

I'm actually just now getting up to speed on the last couple of seasons of Spartacus. I watched the first season and Gods of the Arena when they aired (Netflix still had a deal with STARZ, at the time). Now that the rest are up on Netflix, I'll probably finish it. It will be weird without Andy in the lead role, though.

I just started watching this, to get a sense of Steven S. DeKnight's style. I'm glad people metered my expectations for the first few episodes, because they...aren't great.

Also, Spartacus and Crixus may have the gayest romantic tension I've ever seen on a TV series. Are those two going to gently caress or what?

(I'm sure Daredevil will be fine.)

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Xealot posted:

Also, Spartacus and Crixus may have the gayest romantic tension I've ever seen on a TV series. Are those two going to gently caress or what?

So.... did they?....

Also, hooray, DareDevil. I certainly hope we get a lot more 1 off series for a heap of other Marvel characters.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Supposedly a shot of the red costume http://imgur.com/21hlztb

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Andrew_1985 posted:

So.... did they?....

No, but they fight each other in the bath and roll over each other a couple times. And by bath I mean not water but getting a bunch of dudes to slather you in oil and then scraping it off with a long (phallic) piece of metal

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

James Woods Fan posted:

Supposedly a shot of the red costume http://imgur.com/21hlztb

That looks terrible, but I dug the 2003 suit with the collar, so what do I know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Tim Goodman (THR) and Noel Murray (freelance, but mostly AV Club) didn't like the screener episodes. Aside from that, all the opinions/reviews I've seen have been positive, though a lot of the critics still haven't weighed in.

Here's the AV Club reveiw B-, but it seems his problems were mostly matters of taste and nothing dealbreaking.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sepinwall calls it one of the best superhero tv shows on the "air"

He also included this link of Deborah Ann Woll and her boyfriend at the LA premiere of the show, he's legally blind and dressed up as Murdock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since Netflix's model is all about adding new subs and retention, have you or anyone you know subbed to Netflix because of DD?