Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I believe you on the first part but the second part sounds fishy considering how many of his moves had to be so easy to botch just by accident. Dude was more Jackass than gymnast. What is there to be gained from making the crowd think you gently caress up more than you do when you're already over for other reasons? That's some meta level poo poo that I can't imagine working for modern promotions let alone ECW, that one black guy who hosed up on purpose in there nonwithstanding

He botched "for real" plenty but the idea that he would work botches into his match comes from Lance Storm so I believe it. The idea was the fans thought they were so smart that they would chant "You hosed Up" when a wrestler made a mistake and he enjoyed making them chant that when he did something on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

He botched "for real" plenty but the idea that he would work botches into his match comes from Lance Storm so I believe it. The idea was the fans thought they were so smart that they would chant "You hosed Up" when a wrestler made a mistake and he enjoyed making them chant that when he did something on purpose.

That sounds more like "Sabu making excuses and Lance Storm is thick as a brick as usual" to me especially considering that Sabu would go on to a long career of botches outside of ECW. But then Sabu is a pretty weird dude so I'm not totally writing it off.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

That sounds more like "Sabu making excuses and Lance Storm is thick as a brick as usual" to me especially considering that Sabu would go on to a long career of botches outside of ECW. But then Sabu is a pretty weird dude so I'm not totally writing it off.

Given they worked together this is something Lance would know.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Aesop Poprock posted:

I've posted on their forum for the past 11 years and they're probably the least irritating/most rational wrestling forum around outside of PSP at this point. The front page is alright and still going but it's literally like only 5-6 dudes, One of whom (John C)never actually posts and was basically run off the forum years ago for making up his entire life story

If I remember, another of their previous writers was also the douchebag who pedobaited creeps on To Catch A Predator and then swiftly blew all the money NBC gave him, but they ran him off as well - presumably because he was a total creep too.

I also vaguely remember reading a couple of their efed shows and it was surprisingly solid, at least as mid-'00s efeds go.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Aesop Poprock posted:

I've posted on their forum for the past 11 years and they're probably the least irritating/most rational wrestling forum around outside of PSP at this point. The front page is alright and still going but it's literally like only 5-6 dudes, One of whom (John C)never actually posts and was basically run off the forum years ago for making up his entire life story

Haha what? I remember him being a pretty decent dude, but then I never knew anything about him more than being a Canadian dude in his mid-30s.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did drake younger retire from wrestling and is full time reffing only now?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Bigass Moth posted:

Did drake younger retire from wrestling and is full time reffing only now?

Yes. There was a whole article about him on WWE.com

http://www.wwe.com/videos/playlists/drake-wuertz-nxt-hardcore-referee-videos

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/scars-stripes-drake-wuertz-nxt-hardcore-referee-27047554

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Probably one of the people in the world who has such a grin on his face while talking about how a lighttube sliced open his chest and the ringside crew 'closed' the wound with cloth and tape.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

If I remember, another of their previous writers was also the douchebag who pedobaited creeps on To Catch A Predator and then swiftly blew all the money NBC gave him, but they ran him off as well - presumably because he was a total creep too.

I also vaguely remember reading a couple of their efed shows and it was surprisingly solid, at least as mid-'00s efeds go.

Yeah that was Xavier von Erck, the guy behind Perverted Justice. He's another black eye of the forum and he was a really embarrassing poster that everyone always hated. He's also the guy who got ahold of and released the Rob Feinstein pedo chat logs and got him thrown out of ROH.

There was a funny Rolling Stone interview with him years back that made him out to be the biggest loser in the world.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GlenMR posted:

Haha what? I remember him being a pretty decent dude, but then I never knew anything about him more than being a Canadian dude in his mid-30s.

He made up an entire fictional backstory for himself where he had a wife and kids and went through this huge emotional "divorce" where everyone was super supportive to him online and in real life until Dave Spinosa (one of the site founders) discovered he'd never been married and made the whole thing up for attention and sympathy. For some weird reason he still posts his reviews to the front page but he hasn't attempted to post on the forums again since before 2010

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1UEQjPcPOo

Who's the guy coming out to the I Am Weasel theme?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How is Terry Funk's album?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Smoking Crow posted:

it's a crazy texan rambling vaguely to a tune about how he hates school, expressing this with comedically limp slang insults, set to bizarrely prog-rock-style guitars and a synth-jazzy "cleaned up" cover of "Lance Russell's Nose"

pretty much it's as good as that description sounds to you

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1UEQjPcPOo

Who's the guy coming out to the I Am Weasel theme?

http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers/weasel-2896.html?prom_id=5

a mystery

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Smoking Crow posted:

Why don't you listen for yourself?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP5StOr6-H8&list=PLDnK2fZr_AxIT898aj79JIin5O49ZcYIN

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't know who he is but I like that he's such a jobber that even the referee got to hit a Van Terminator on him over Fonzie

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 4, 2015

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I believe you on the first part but the second part sounds fishy considering how many of his moves had to be so easy to botch just by accident. Dude was more Jackass than gymnast. What is there to be gained from making the crowd think you gently caress up more than you do when you're already over for other reasons? That's some meta level poo poo that I can't imagine working for modern promotions let alone ECW, that one black guy who hosed up on purpose in there nonwithstanding

wrestlers like working fans because they're assholes and it's funny. it's like when Owen Hart would have intentionally bad house show matches because it amused him

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
How did nobody mention The Bellas?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bard Maddox posted:

wrestlers like working fans because they're assholes and it's funny. it's like when Owen Hart would have intentionally bad house show matches because it amused him

I remember hearing a story about Raven meeting the ECW Sign Guy before a show. He goes up to Sign Guy and says hi, Sign Guy flips out and says "kayfabe!!!" so Raven calls him an rear end in a top hat and walks away. Apparently he was some kind of ur-smark, but they'd feed him lines for signs while he was helping set up the chairs.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 4, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah that was Xavier von Erck, the guy behind Perverted Justice. He's another black eye of the forum and he was a really embarrassing poster that everyone always hated. He's also the guy who got ahold of and released the Rob Feinstein pedo chat logs and got him thrown out of ROH.

There was a funny Rolling Stone interview with him years back that made him out to be the biggest loser in the world.
One of the PJ guys also got arrested for DDoS'ing Rolling Stone's website a few years back. I just remember that hilariously awful video of XVE where a reporter tried to get an interview with him, and he went on the biggest irrelevant rant ever where he accused the guy of spitting on him and called the guy 3x his age "son". He came off as the biggest manchild ever.

I know a couple of the early writers were/are goons too. Back when I first joined SA and mostly lurked, there was at least one or two who posted in the old Wrestlehut about their columns there. They were affiliated with Fox Sports briefly, weren't they?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Here's a wrestling question: who the hell are the people writing and editing Wikipedia wrestling articles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Bryan

404 citations in this epic-length article, and it's not really an outlier. It makes it impossible to just read some quick information about a wrestler. Who writes this stuff? Is it you guys? I bet it is.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm surprised that one doesn't follow the usual Wikipedia format for articles on wrestlers. "Daniel Lloyd Bryan is a pseudo-athlete for World Wrestling Entertainment, a company which performs staged 'wrestling matches' in which the outcomes are predetermined. He was scripted to 'win' the World Heavyweight Title at Wrestlemania, an event in which several 'matches' with predetermined outcomes were staged..."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

zakharov posted:

Here's a wrestling question: who the hell are the people writing and editing Wikipedia wrestling articles?

404 citations in this epic-length article, and it's not really an outlier. It makes it impossible to just read some quick information about a wrestler. Who writes this stuff? Is it you guys? I bet it is.

It's written by spergs who document the month-by-month storylines of wrestling characters that really no one but they themselves read.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

zakharov posted:

Try looking up a summary of a sci-fi TV show episode sometime.

HERE IS LITERALLY EVERY SCENE IN EXCRUCIATING DETAIL

spergs gonna sperg

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

sticklefifer posted:

Try looking up a summary of a sci-fi TV show episode sometime.

The dedicated wikis for that stuff are even nuttier. Behold. One click of the random page link brought that up. :stare:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

That's because it's the entry for Babylon 5 on a Star Trek wiki so they're going to go nuts about how it ripped off DS9.

It was the other way around :smug:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

zakharov posted:

Wrestling fans are big nerds I don't know why this would be surprising. Also, like cole told us bryan is king of the nerds so it's especially appropriate.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Pro wrestling articles are among the top edited articles on Wikipedia. It's pretty ridiculous.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Why was Nancy Benoit called "Woman"?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

She debuted in WCW as a member of Kevin Sullivan's cult and manager of Ron Simmons and Butch Reed and they had goofy names I guess.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

If I recall she started as some nerdy Winnie-from-The-Wonder-Years 'fan' of the faces(I remember The Steiners being involved) that the announcers referred to as 'that girl' or something, and then it was from there some heel turn occurred and she went from 'Girl' to 'Woman'. Early 90s WCW TV was weird as gently caress.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Why was Nancy Benoit called "Woman"?

She didn't have a penis

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Mob posted:

If I recall she started as some nerdy Winnie-from-The-Wonder-Years 'fan' of the faces(I remember The Steiners being involved) that the announcers referred to as 'that girl' or something, and then it was from there some heel turn occurred and she went from 'Girl' to 'Woman'. Early 90s WCW TV was weird as gently caress.

Her name was Robin Green and her gimmick was basically geeky Rick Steiner fangirl. When he didn't return her affections she turned heel and started managing Doom (Ron Simmons and Butch Reed) "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned", etc...

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Thauros posted:

Her name was Robin Green and her gimmick was basically geeky Rick Steiner fangirl. When he didn't return her affections she turned heel and started managing Doom (Ron Simmons and Butch Reed) "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned", etc...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes thank you, I knew I didn't dream that poo poo

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

HulkaMatt posted:

Pro wrestling articles are among the top edited articles on Wikipedia. It's pretty ridiculous.

I remember seeing a study on the most hotly contested/most edited article categories by wiki language, and all of the results across the board were more or less predictable - god, war, politics, morals, etc. - except the English wiki had wrestling articles near the top.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

One of the PJ guys also got arrested for DDoS'ing Rolling Stone's website a few years back. I just remember that hilariously awful video of XVE where a reporter tried to get an interview with him, and he went on the biggest irrelevant rant ever where he accused the guy of spitting on him and called the guy 3x his age "son". He came off as the biggest manchild ever.

I know a couple of the early writers were/are goons too. Back when I first joined SA and mostly lurked, there was at least one or two who posted in the old Wrestlehut about their columns there. They were affiliated with Fox Sports briefly, weren't they?

Yeah I think at least Morphine Jim and Puck were goons back in the day and probably a few others around when SA was more internet mainstream. I've bought a handful of accounts for people there but as far as I know they mostly just lurk. The Fox Sports thing would be news to me but I asked about it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah apparently the Oratory was a Fox Sports affiliate for a small amount of time around a decade ago. Never even heard it mentioned before you brought it up though

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What is the all-time best ladder match?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Triangle ladder match from WM2000. It redefined the entire match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I don't want to pick one of the trainwreck ones with tons of guys, they all start to run together, how do you pick between one Money in the Bank over another or one Dudleyz/E & C/Hardys over another. I'd say either Jericho v. Michaels at No Mercy 2008 or Shawn Michaels v. Razor Ramon at SummerSlam 1995.