Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The Ark on BBC 1 right now feels like the most ill conceived project the BBC have put out in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Part 2 of the new Louis Theroux thing was pretty interesting. Whenever I see anything set in a mental hospital, I always think how nice it must be to be able to play table tennis all day.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This First Dates show on Ch4 right now, one of the dating guys is Goon Zero. Terrible beard, ponytail, and wearing a leather jerkin (which he altered by hand) over possibly an anime t-shirt. I wish him to find love with his curvy goonette match.

e: he blew it :smith:

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 1, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There's a show on BBC2 about female exterminators called Ladykillers: Pest Detective, which was totally commissioned on the strength of its title.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Reminds me of that show they had about making your own vegetable garden called Weed 'em and Reap.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This First Dates show on Ch4 right now, one of the dating guys is Goon Zero. Terrible beard, ponytail, and wearing a leather jerkin (which he altered by hand) over possibly an anime t-shirt. I wish him to find love with his curvy goonette match.

e: he blew it :smith:

I felt really sorry for her. It was like "we'll put these together cuz they're both fat :downs:"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Padje posted:

I felt really sorry for her. It was like "we'll put these together cuz they're both fat :downs:"

Yeah they also put together the 2 black people, and the 2 super chavs, so plenty of interesting choices there.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
If you haven't yet seen it, the BBC documentary about the strangeways riot is definitely worth your time.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Inside No. 9 is absolutely stunning this week.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Reminded me of life on Mars and ashes to ashes. Things in real life entering into your subconscious while you're in your coma or whatever.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Gorn Myson posted:

I enjoyed, but wasn't massively sold on the last one. This week's was ridiculously good.

Between this and Black Mirror it's good to know there's good standalone stories being made for tv still. Much as I like serialised shows, it's great to have an alternative quality drama format in 2015.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is anyone watching Banished or Poldark?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Gorn Myson posted:

Bloody hell. Just watched. You bastard. I did not need that at half 5 in the morning. Yes, very good. Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith are some sick bastards, in a good way.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Everyone says it about Black Mirror, but Inside No. 9 is the real spiritual successor to stuff like The Twilight Zone and Tales of the Unexpected.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Is anyone watching Banished or Poldark?

I'm watching Poldark. It's pretty standard stuff, but the scenery is spectacular. And I kind of love how shameless the BBC are at pandering to their audience of people who have grown up on the Colin-Firth-in-a-wet-shirt scene of Pride and Prejudice. Aiden Turner spends about 40% of each episode shirtless and the remaining time doing some Olympic-standard brooding, it's great.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm just loving the turn towards anthology shows lately. Even the Americans have found a new niche with True Detective and Fargo doing stories contained to single seasons. This means whenever someone recommends me something to watch, I don't have to balk at the 60+ episodes that I need to watch.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irisi posted:

I'm watching Poldark. It's pretty standard stuff, but the scenery is spectacular. And I kind of love how shameless the BBC are at pandering to their audience of people who have grown up on the Colin-Firth-in-a-wet-shirt scene of Pride and Prejudice. Aiden Turner spends about 40% of each episode shirtless and the remaining time doing some Olympic-standard brooding, it's great.

Those wacky Cornish accents crack me up.

I'm hereby recommending you check out Banished. It's set in the very early prison ship times of Australia, but it's virtually all British cast and a BBC production. It's pretty drat good.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Inside No. 9 was pretty great, good to see quite experimental television now and then. I still really like the silent episode they did in the first series, but glad they don't feel the need to have a gimmick each week.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Those wacky Cornish accents crack me up.

I was working in Cornwall on Tuesday, and if anything Poldark has reined them in a bit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

justcola posted:

Inside No. 9 was pretty great, good to see quite experimental television now and then. I still really like the silent episode they did in the first series, but glad they don't feel the need to have a gimmick each week.

Plus, I can't imagine the budget for this week's episode was huge either. So it's kinda showing that you don't need to throw a massive amount of money at a show to produce something great.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Plus, I can't imagine the budget for this week's episode was huge either. So it's kinda showing that you don't need to throw a massive amount of money at a show to produce something great.

Yeah but you need to be good at your job.
On Masterchef yesterday Grag Wallace siad "those four minutes could be thaw minutes" after a contestant froze his pudding and that's the best joke I've ever heard.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

stickyfngrdboy posted:

If you haven't yet seen it, the BBC documentary about the strangeways riot is definitely worth your time.

Yeah I enjoyed this but I felt weird about seeing it "celebrated" in some ways

Gorn Myson posted:

I didnt like it, and last weeks was pretty poor compared to last season imo too

justcola posted:

Id say they have had a gimmick every week tbh

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I wanted to like Banished so I could have an excuse to gawp at the Strayan countryside, but didn't even manage to make it through a whole episode. I was so painfully embarrassed for the actors, that they had to act out that plot, that I couldn't watch it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I wasn't a big fan of this inside number 9, and I've really enjoyed all of them except for maybe Last Gasp. I think now I understand the concept I might enjoy it more on a rewatch.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I wanted to like Banished so I could have an excuse to gawp at the Strayan countryside, but didn't even manage to make it through a whole episode. I was so painfully embarrassed for the actors, that they had to act out that plot, that I couldn't watch it.

I can't take it seriously since the main character is Steve from Him & Her.

Why is Steve in Australia.

And more importantly, where's Becky? :swoon:

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Seconding the Strangeways docu being really good. Theroux was too but I was cringing off my chair when Louis started interrogating the mom about whether her son was naked when he came in and did he actually, errr, you know... :gonk:

This Inside no 9 was a bit crap imo, the ending was only one step up from 'it was all a dream'...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It's strange, because looking back on it, the twist at the end wasn't anything too novel, really, but the manner of its execution really managed to hit me pretty hard, and my girlfriend literally cried.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Poldark has lots of really compelling cinematography even if the mundane costume-drama plot isn't so great.

Banished is weird, I'm still watching every episode but the writing just feels really uninspired. Hopefully it will get more interesting if/when the convicts rebel.

Inside No. 9 was great, the ending was potent not so much because of the "twist" but rather just for the full force of how miserable and bleak her life was and oops now its over.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The Strangeways docu was great. And made everyone who worked there except the governor look like horrific people. There was even one of the guards who said in no uncertain terms "There was no abuse at all".

Meanwhile, the governor outright states it was horrible in pretty much every way.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 3, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The lighting of IN9 was really, really nice.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
So...you know Thunderbirds started half an hour ago, right? Not that I'm watching childrens television or anything. :ohdear:

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Szmitten posted:

So...you know Thunderbirds started half an hour ago, right? Not that I'm watching childrens television or anything. :ohdear:

It's worse than I thought it could ever be. Worse than the film.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It was extremely ordinary children's entertainment.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tenebrais posted:

It was extremely ordinary children's entertainment.

By ITV's imaginary standards.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

The Perfect Element posted:

It's strange, because looking back on it, the twist at the end wasn't anything too novel, really, but the manner of its execution really managed to hit me pretty hard, and my girlfriend literally cried.

To be honest, i was hoping it was going to be a bit more clever than "she's in an accident". The whole life flashed before eyes thing is a bit of an overused trope by now.

I noticed that the house furniture looked like an odd mix of some really old poo poo and some newer stuff and was hoping that the Dad was going to be a big clue. That she herself was actually an old woman and what we were seeing was her perception of things whilst suffering from Alzheimer's herself

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I liked the new Thunderbirds. The updated designs looked awesome and the new functions were pretty clever. It's basically about the quality I expected but generating more nostalgia for me than I would've thought.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Has anyone here watched 'Outlander'? It's based on a series of books which I've never read but the series is excellent. Thought people in here might appreciate the interaction between the Redcoats and the Scots, the real racism and attitude that the English have to the Scots and the interaction between the two is excellent.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sri.Theo posted:

Has anyone here watched 'Outlander'? It's based on a series of books which I've never read but the series is excellent. Thought people in here might appreciate the interaction between the Redcoats and the Scots, the real racism and attitude that the English have to the Scots and the interaction between the two is excellent.

Outlander is amazing, and has been getting an insane amount of press in the US, mostly because the female audience is tuning in en masse. It started out as "UK book on Starz" with little attention and instantly blew up. It got renewed for a 2nd season right off the bat.

It's more of a US show done in the style of UK dramas. It's got its own thread as well to post in.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Is it a realistic portrayal of period bigotry or is it The Patriot style generic American hogwash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

God, I loved the book series as a teenager, it had melodrama and action and a strong-willed, sensible heroine and a villain called "Black Jack Randall", which is a great name for a bastardly evil English soldier. Not read them in 10 years, wonder if they still hold up? Will need to check out the TV series too.