Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Walking Dead is pretty bad but it certainly fits the bill for over-the-top violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Oz is very violent and a great show.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Scrapez posted:

Thanks for the suggestions all. I'll check out Terriers and Hannibal. Love Breaking Bad, Louie and The Wire so good suggestions there. Turn and Mad Men are starting back up soon so I'll be watching those as well.

Love/Hate is a great crime drama about a criminal gang in Dublin. Borgia: Faith and Fear is another great drama. Both were on Netflix last time I checked.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I've been watching through Vikings on Hulu and the first 2 episodes are pretty good. Literally nobody worth rooting for though, since they're all horrible Vikings.
I'd say root for Floki at all times but Athelstan might be more your speed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Vikings just doesn't really have "good guys".

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lycus posted:

Agatha maybe

she rules, boys drool

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shadow posted:

What's it like? 30 Rock-y?

Very. 30 Rock's tone with a slightly darker undercurrent. It's also stupidly funny basically all the time.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Bown posted:

Very. 30 Rock's tone with a slightly darker undercurrent. It's also stupidly funny basically all the time.

Cool. I'll check it out.

Is Oz dated? I have a deep seeded hatred for our correctional system. The violence that goes on. The fact that we don't rehabilitate, we essentially throw our criminals into a zoo to fend for themselves.

Will this distract me from getting into the show?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm looking for absurdly violent and over-the-top action shows. I'm already aware of Banshee (obviously) and Spartacus, I have all of Strike Back handy but it didn't really grab me for some reason (need to try it again), and I'm going to be constantly F5ing Netflix until Daredevil drops (it's a TV-MA rated DeKnight show so I'm assuming it'll scratch this itch nicely). Is there anything else?

The Shield and Justified for sure, possibly Rome and Breaking Bad as well. Deadwood, Fargo, and The Americans are all excellent dramas and slower-paced shows, but the violence is shocking and realistic when it happens.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Fargo TV show is so loving good. Just...what HORRIBLE people. :)

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Shadow posted:

Cool. I'll check it out.

Is Oz dated? I have a deep seeded hatred for our correctional system. The violence that goes on. The fact that we don't rehabilitate, we essentially throw our criminals into a zoo to fend for themselves.

Will this distract me from getting into the show?

Oz is a show where dangerous criminals live in an experimental prison facility where they are given free reign to basically do whatever they want (which consists of doing drugs, stabbing and buttfucking each other). I guess if that premise doesn't make you even more angry at the US prison system than you might enjoy it. There's a couple dated elements to it like the terrible narration/beat poetry that opens every episode and it just looks 90s as gently caress, but other than that I think it still holds up very well.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

The Fargo TV show is so loving good.

This is pure distilled truth right here.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

The Duke posted:

Oz is a show where dangerous criminals live in an experimental prison facility where they are given free reign to basically do whatever they want (which consists of doing drugs, stabbing and buttfucking each other). I guess if that premise doesn't make you even more angry at the US prison system than you might enjoy it. There's a couple dated elements to it like the terrible narration/beat poetry that opens every episode and it just looks 90s as gently caress, but other than that I think it still holds up very well.

Hmm. Thanks. How many episodes gives the show an honest chance?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

savinhill posted:

Love/Hate is a great crime drama about a criminal gang in Dublin. Borgia: Faith and Fear is another great drama. Both were on Netflix last time I checked.

I liked Peaky Blinders quite a bit. Does Love/Hate compare to that?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrapez posted:

Depends how much you like knackers and Dublin crime mooks. Short seasons and Nathan from Misfits is in it. So is Carcetti/Little Finger and Raina from Agents of Shield.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Shadow posted:

Hmm. Thanks. How many episodes gives the show an honest chance?

I thought the first few seasons were good. Since the seasons are relatively short it doesn't really take a long time for the action to pick up. I'd give it at least a few episodes into season 1. Definitely skip over the extremely long intro song every episode (unless you want that drat tapping stuck in your brain forever), and try and ignore the weird black wheelchair guy narration scenes, and the poetry. I especially didn't like season 5 with the annoying "inmate talent show" thing, and the lottery thing was just stupid. You'll see a lot of actors you recognize if you watched law & order SVU/Dexter, and then you'll see their dicks. You'll see a lot of dicks.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Murphy Brownback posted:

I thought the first few seasons were good. Since the seasons are relatively short it doesn't really take a long time for the action to pick up. I'd give it at least a few episodes into season 1. Definitely skip over the extremely long intro song every episode (unless you want that drat tapping stuck in your brain forever), and try and ignore the weird black wheelchair guy narration scenes, and the poetry. I especially didn't like season 5 with the annoying "inmate talent show" thing, and the lottery thing was just stupid. You'll see a lot of actors you recognize if you watched law & order SVU/Dexter, and then you'll see their dicks. You'll see a lot of dicks.

Yeah that I knew. SVU being like a reunion. Cool. Thanks!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm looking for absurdly violent and over-the-top action shows. I'm already aware of Banshee (obviously) and Spartacus, I have all of Strike Back handy but it didn't really grab me for some reason (need to try it again), and I'm going to be constantly F5ing Netflix until Daredevil drops (it's a TV-MA rated DeKnight show so I'm assuming it'll scratch this itch nicely). Is there anything else?

You say Strike Back didn't grab you. Did you start with the BBC one, with Richard Armitage, or have you also seen the Cinemax 'reboot'?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Scrapez posted:

Oz is very violent and a great show.

I agree with this. While it's definitely not action-y, the violence is very strong in it.

Especially between Beecher and Schillinger :black101:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I agree with this. While it's definitely not action-y, the violence is very strong in it.

Especially between Beecher and Schillinger :black101:

That is Academy Award Winner Schillinger!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lycus posted:

It does, it's just that it is very conscious of avoiding the pitfall of taking a distinct culture in a historical period and compromising it to fit our Judeo-Christian morality. As much of a monster as Ragnar is to us, he's basically the ideal among his people.
It's part of what makes it such a good programme, they are showing us a world very alien to our own and saying "this is how it was, accept it." It's so refreshing.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 2, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

It does, it's just that it is very conscious of avoiding the pitfall of taking a distinct culture in a historical period and compromising it to fit our Judeo-Christian morality. As much of a monster as Ragnar is to us, he's basically the ideal among his people.
It's part of what makes it such a good programme, they are showing us a world very alien to our own and saying "this is how it was, accept it." It's so refreshing.

This might be the best endorsement for the show I've read so far. Think I'll add it to the queue.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
If I love Justified and Spartacus is Banshee the perfect show for me?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pron on VHS posted:

Yeah just do the math, add both shows together and round up to get Banshee.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

*Adding for fairness. The Christians are pretty much worse than the Vikings. T'was the Dark Ages

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Peaky Blinders season 2 up to the second episode. Such a good show! Tom Hardy is such a good actor.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Somehow I never watched past that episode despite Hardy's utterly fantastic opening scene (and the series just being great in general, of course.)

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

Pron on VHS posted:

I've been binging Banshee for the last 2 days and this is a pretty decent comparison, its ridiculous fun without somehow being "too" over the top. Its like Walking Tall meets Roadhouse wrapped around Justified

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Weirdly enough Walking Tall is one of my favorite "it's on TBS so sit and watch it all" movies ever, I will be binging Banshee this weekend!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Bown posted:

Somehow I never watched past that episode despite Hardy's utterly fantastic opening scene (and the series just being great in general, of course.)

I stopped watching it then too, just wasn't feeling the second season.

Scrapez posted:

I like it better than PB, but it's also a lot different in that it's set in the modern day and focuses on a larger ensemble of characters.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

richardfun posted:

You say Strike Back didn't grab you. Did you start with the BBC one, with Richard Armitage, or have you also seen the Cinemax 'reboot'?

Been binge watching this. The first one seems to be titled season one with the others as seasons 2-5? Anyway, the first season is so different from the rest it's like it's a different show. It goes from a kind of typical serious British show over to non-stop action where one guy fucks a new girl every episode, like a kind of SAS version of James Bond. I like both 'shows', but the stuff from season 2 onwards is just more raw fun and silly, with beautiful naked women hiding in every mission, a body count higher than a small country's army, and enough explosions to fill a few Michael Bay movies.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Fleve posted:

Been binge watching this. The first one seems to be titled season one with the others as seasons 2-5? Anyway, the first season is so different from the rest it's like it's a different show. It goes from a kind of typical serious British show over to non-stop action where one guy fucks a new girl every episode, like a kind of SAS version of James Bond. I like both 'shows', but the stuff from season 2 onwards is just more raw fun and silly, with beautiful naked women hiding in every mission, a body count higher than a small country's army, and enough explosions to fill a few Michael Bay movies.

Yup, Strike Back definitely speaks to the 8 year old in me, but it manages to at least conjure up some compelling storylines, unlike a certain Hollywood director.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
We finished up Bloodlines today, and it was up there with some of my favorite TV shows. The brother, Danny, was played by one hell of an actor. Nice that it ended on a cliffhanger, but also managed to resolve the main storyline.

I hope it gets a season two.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States: Been watching this for hours. Very interesting gap filling on the last 60-70 years of Presidential policies. Worth a watch unless you hate facts.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The first season is definitely the best and I think Jeremy Brett is probably my favorite Sherlock Holmes put the celluloid. The other seasons are decent but unfortunately you can really see Jeremy Brett's health decline over the course of the series and it was so depressing to me that it took me out of the stories. Poor guy. But if you want to see a great rendition of Sherlock Holmes definitely give season one a watch, it's fantastic.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Just finished Moone Boy which was great. Anyone got any more great funny Irish/British shows? I'd prefer Irish but I suspect there's far fewer of those.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fleve posted:

First season was a british Sky production, second > is a Cinemax/Sky production. Seems in England it's considered 1-5 in america is considered "Origins" then 1-4. It's for all intent and purposes, two shows.

Your man couldn't come back for the Cinemax version, even if they wanted him. Because he was filming the Hobbit for a bunch of years in New Zealand.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 5, 2015

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Looking to pick up a few DVD's to help get through a 3 week period with limited/no internet. Recently binged through:

- Person of Interest
- Arrow
- Orphan Black
- House of Lies
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
- True Detective

Enjoyed all of these, although I'm still halfway through Arrow season 3 and it's starting to get a bit silly.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

NoDamage posted:

Looking to pick up a few DVD's to help get through a 3 week period with limited/no internet. Recently binged through:

- Person of Interest
- Arrow
- Orphan Black
- House of Lies
- True Detective

Enjoyed all of these, although I'm still halfway through Arrow season 3 and it's starting to get a bit silly.

If any part of you likes superhero stuff, go watch The Flash. It's still in it's first season, but it is superb.

And Strike Back and Spartacus, if you like over the top action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

NoDamage posted:

- Person of Interest
- Arrow
- Orphan Black
- House of Lies
- True Detective

The Flash, definitely.
Hannibal
The Americans
Fargo
Parks & Recreation
The Wire
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad