Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I was wondering why Ebonarm wasn't being put to good use. Oh well, I'm just going to believe he still exists, because gently caress ESO it shouldn't count.

How did sheogorath manage to stay off Ebonarm's shitlist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

ESO is actually full of a lot of great lore stuff. Its probably one of the stronger parts of it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

ESO is actually full of a lot of great lore stuff. Its probably one of the stronger parts of it.

examples? im thinking about starting it with the tamriel unbound or whatever

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Blue Raider posted:

examples? im thinking about starting it with the tamriel unbound or whatever

Without giving too much away there's a lot more diversity since it covers (parts of) all the provinces in Tamriel. Going off the religion conversation earlier in the thread, Skyrim kind of toned down the complexity of faith in the series, ESO has a lot of variety of worship (even non-bad guys daedric cults practicing out in the open). Time is more hosed up than even usual elder scrolls games (its arguable that its all set during a Dragon Break) so there's a lot of witnessing events from the first era. Also there's a lot of appearances of races that have only been mentioned in books in previous games such as the Kothringi humans of Black Marsh, Maormer sea elves, background on the fighters' guild when it is still heavily influenced by the Akaviri, and a ton of stuff on towers if that triggers you. Getting to see some of the never before seen areas is cool and I think they did a good job. There's also something like 2000 in-game books, half of which are all new.

Edit: and yeah, Cyrodiil isn't a jungle, and while I share the disappointment in that its probably time for people to either decide that's the hill they want to die on or just move on and enjoy the series. That being said Cyrodiil is pretty cool looking in itself, and feels much more like in the middle of the apocalypse with daedric portals looming over wrecked cities and huge fissures in the earth. Oblivion would have been a lot more interesting if it had the same kind of atmosphere.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 4, 2015

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I just hope we get to see Jyggalag again. Jyggalag was loving awesome.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
I'm not that far into ESO (Ebonheart Pact) yet, but right now there's already been a glut of Chimer lore, some referencing the Bosmer Wild Hunt, and someone actually mentioned Nedes.
Not a fan of the architecture, but I guess you can't have everything.

Moryrie posted:

Any sources, reasoning etc for this? Cause Ebonarm sounds pretty cool to me. Then again, I'm not exactly a fan of Tiber Septim.. or Kirkbride's weird rape fetish, so I gave up on reading his stuff a long time ago.
Sure: http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/2youoi/canonicity_of_the_dreamsleeve/cpc5mr1?context=3

Iron Leg posted:

Yeah he's definitely crazy, but a fair bit of his writing and even posting seems to be rebelling against the idea of "canon" as a concept anyway. The lore kiddies take it as canon because he said so but it seems like that's the whole point of all the timeline shenanigans and far future bullshit and no-one-knows dragon break stuff. There's not just one TES story, like some ~one true zelda timeline~, at least it sure doesn't seem like it.
To be honest, I think it's best if you assume that every game (and a lot of that other stuff MK writes) takes place in its own Kalpa which is only largely like the other ones but with rather glaring differences. Except for Redguard/Battlespire/Morrowind, those all work together pretty well.
ESO and Oblivion for example really work best if you pretend it's the kalpas after the ones in the previous games. It even makes KINMUNE palatable, somewhat (and makes the 3-4 province mods for Morrowind not as glaringly out of touch with Bethesda's game world)..

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Atrayonis posted:

I'm not that far into ESO (Ebonheart Pact) yet, but right now there's already been a glut of Chimer lore, some referencing the Bosmer Wild Hunt, and someone actually mentioned Nedes.

One of the endgame areas, Craglorn in Hammerfell, is covered in Nedic ruins and the storyline of that region is all about how the constellation signs are their own anthropomorphised beings, which has been hinted at here and there in the past in elder scrolls but goes really into depth. Also lots of stuff on the Yokuda, the redguards before they came to Tamriel.

edit: also haha just running around right now in the game exploring Valenwood and came across a random encounter of a khajiit and high elf arguing with the khajiit saying it is culturally insensitive to call moon sugar quote "cat drugs"

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 4, 2015

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

Without giving too much away there's a lot more diversity since it covers (parts of) all the provinces in Tamriel. Going off the religion conversation earlier in the thread, Skyrim kind of toned down the complexity of faith in the series, ESO has a lot of variety of worship (even non-bad guys daedric cults practicing out in the open). Time is more hosed up than even usual elder scrolls games (its arguable that its all set during a Dragon Break) so there's a lot of witnessing events from the first era. Also there's a lot of appearances of races that have only been mentioned in books in previous games such as the Kothringi humans of Black Marsh, Maormer sea elves, background on the fighters' guild when it is still heavily influenced by the Akaviri, and a ton of stuff on towers if that triggers you. Getting to see some of the never before seen areas is cool and I think they did a good job. There's also something like 2000 in-game books, half of which are all new.

Edit: and yeah, Cyrodiil isn't a jungle, and while I share the disappointment in that its probably time for people to either decide that's the hill they want to die on or just move on and enjoy the series. That being said Cyrodiil is pretty cool looking in itself, and feels much more like in the middle of the apocalypse with daedric portals looming over wrecked cities and huge fissures in the earth. Oblivion would have been a lot more interesting if it had the same kind of atmosphere.

cool, sounds pretty awesome really. thanks

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think Kirk doesn't like Ebonarm because he's like the man version of vivec. Only he's actually cool, strong, smart, and gets poo poo done.

Also weren't the the Knights of the Thorn somehow related to the rose?

I just wish the cool, strong, and somewhat reasonable beings actually appeared or were mentioned. Like Jyggalag. All we get are Boring assholes like dagoth, alduin, and Dagon and their equally boring rear end in a top hat counterparts. And somehow we're meant to feel like we are accomplishing something besides just staving off minor/major destruction.

Alduin really just came off as an extra smug dragon, Dagon requires years of plotting by his followers to be more than impotent, and Dagoth is just another melodramatic elf with too much power.

Hell, I'd rather Alduin stay alive to kill off most of man/mer before stopping him. Especially with the political state of tamriel in skyrim, dragons murdering everyone would be a net improvement.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Nasgate posted:

I think Kirk doesn't like Ebonarm because he's like the man version of vivec. Only he's actually cool, strong, smart, and gets poo poo done.

Also weren't the the Knights of the Thorn somehow related to the rose?

I just wish the cool, strong, and somewhat reasonable beings actually appeared or were mentioned. Like Jyggalag. All we get are Boring assholes like dagoth, alduin, and Dagon and their equally boring rear end in a top hat counterparts. And somehow we're meant to feel like we are accomplishing something besides just staving off minor/major destruction.

Alduin really just came off as an extra smug dragon, Dagon requires years of plotting by his followers to be more than impotent, and Dagoth is just another melodramatic elf with too much power.

Hell, I'd rather Alduin stay alive to kill off most of man/mer before stopping him. Especially with the political state of tamriel in skyrim, dragons murdering everyone would be a net improvement.

I dunno man, I'm pretty sure genocide isn't preferable to most people?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I've been wanting to play TESO for lore stuff but the gameplay itself didn't grab me whatsoever when I was in the beta, and now I don't know if I want to pay $50 for it or however much it is now. Especially now that there are other games I want more that I could be spending that money on (Hi Pillars of Eternity).

Nasgate posted:

and Dagoth is just another melodramatic elf with too much power.

Are you talking poo poo about Voryn Dagoth :colbert:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Has there been any word on where the next game is going to be set? Going from Morrowind, we've had alien fantasy land, generic fantasy land and Norway, so I'm guessing they'll probably mix it up again and go somewhere totally different. I'm actually wondering if they might change things up a bit and take us out of Tamriel altogether to somewhere like Akavir. That would be a great blank slate for them as outside of certain lore, I don't think much is really known or set in stone about the place, especially as it pertains to its geography, environment etc.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

All signs seem to be pointing to either Hammerfell or Black Marsh.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Drunk in Space posted:

I'm actually wondering if they might change things up a bit and take us out of Tamriel altogether to somewhere like Akavir.

I've said it before and I'll say it again

TES VI: AkaVIr

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I'm not sure if I'd care too much for Hammerfell, since it's already been in two of their games (I have no experience with the mmo so I can't comment there). Ok, I know there's a clear division between Morrowind and the games before it, but still I think I'd prefer Black Marsh over Hammerfell. I hope they really amp up the diversity among the Argonians, though. I've always preferred the beast races from Morrowind where they actually seemed more beast-like and not simply like humans wearing lizard masks or fursuits.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Where's that Oblivion modlist at, I feel the need, the need to install hundreds of mods before giving up on the game after ten minutes.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Atrayonis posted:

Continents-as-amaranths makes little to no sense if it is applied as anything but a crude analogy. It should be considered the kind of poo poo MK threw against the wall that didn' stick.
Speaking of this, lemme see if I've got Kirkbridean spacetime geometry correct:

Atmora exists outside of time (it's a place where nothing ever changes, i.e., "frozen") while Aldmeris exists outside of space (it's more an idea of a place shared by Mer as a racial memory or something than anything, blah blah blah Merethic Era). There is some kind of gradient between these poles that Tamriel sits in but there's variation in the dominance of space and time north-to-south with various weird results. Likewise, Yokuda is literally in the past and Akavir is literally in the future (maybe in different Kalpas), and moving east-to-west and vice-versa is literally time travel even across Tamriel (High Rock is in the past relative to Cyrodil while Morrowind is in the future). Lyg exists "opposite" Tamriel so far in both the past and future that it constitutes an alternate "present." (Of course, this means both past and future must be finite, which probably fits into Kalpas or something.)

That about right?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Drunk in Space posted:

I'm not sure if I'd care too much for Hammerfell, since it's already been in two of their games (I have no experience with the mmo so I can't comment there). Ok, I know there's a clear division between Morrowind and the games before it, but still I think I'd prefer Black Marsh over Hammerfell. I hope they really amp up the diversity among the Argonians, though. I've always preferred the beast races from Morrowind where they actually seemed more beast-like and not simply like humans wearing lizard masks or fursuits.

the possibly bad thing about black marsh is it wouldnt be too fun stomping around a swamp for the entire game but the only think i know about black marsh is the hist trees so this is baseless conjecture really

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pikestaff posted:

Are you talking poo poo about Voryn Dagoth :colbert:

He best not be, Dr Dag is the greatest motherfucker

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Blue Raider posted:

the possibly bad thing about black marsh is it wouldnt be too fun stomping around a swamp for the entire game but the only think i know about black marsh is the hist trees so this is baseless conjecture really

Eh, before Skyrim I would have said "It wouldn't be too fun stomping around the snow for an entire game" but they made it work. I'm more curious about what this "sign" was that pointed to Black Marsh as the setting for the next game in the first place.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I dunno man, I'm pretty sure genocide isn't preferable to most people?

The elves want to unmake everything, so you'd be wrong there.

Also, going off Alduin's pace in skyrim, the world would be fine for about a hundred years before he did much. And by then another dragonborn would show up to end him.

I'm more of wanting it because it'd create an actual interesting political dynamic amongst the provinces instead of what we're getting.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Dagoth Ur isn't just sitting there doing nothing, he's literally building a Second Numidium, Akulakhan. Given that the first one was enough for Tiber Septim to effortly curb-stomp the Aldmeri Dominion, and it wasn't even powered by its actual intended source of power- the Heart of Lorkhan- giving Dagoth Ur one would be enough to allow him to effortlessly conquer everything.

I do really like Morrowind's main quest framing, it tells you (through Dagoth Ur's Plans) exactly what's at stake, but at the same time, unlike Oblivion and Skyrim, is very clear that hey, this poo poo needs to be stopped but we've got time, DON'T BE AN IDIOT. GET READY.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I want to go back and play Oblivion but unlike Skyrim it has no built in controller support which kills it for me.

Is there anything that can be done about it or am I just 2casual for elderscrolls

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Eh, before Skyrim I would have said "It wouldn't be too fun stomping around the snow for an entire game" but they made it work. I'm more curious about what this "sign" was that pointed to Black Marsh as the setting for the next game in the first place.

Every time there's going to be a new ES game someone drags up the fact that Bethesda has "Eye of Argonia" copyrighted despite it being confirmed numerous times over that it was going to be the sequel to Redguard. Nevermind that they even made a joke about this all the way back in Tribunal, and that they've been holding onto the copyright for almost 15 years.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I would put money on Sumerset Isles and Valenwood for TES VI. It's time to take the fight to the Dominion. :toughguy:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh we are back to the usual "next TES game setting"

Well, keep on dreaming that we might see all the interesting and cool places.
We won't.

Or if we do, prepare for some amount of disappointment.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 4, 2018

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Next TES is gonna be a roguelite dating sim taking place entirely in the Curio Manor.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

TES VI: Being Sheogorath, where you and every NPC are Sheogorath. Wacky Wabbajackery ensues.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

In pretty sure it's going to be Boston. That's where all the signs point.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's not gonna take place in Elsweyr. Why? Because it's called "Elsewhere".

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

grate deceiver posted:

Next TES is gonna be a roguelite dating sim taking place entirely in the Curio Manor.

GOTYAY

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

I would put money on Sumerset Isles and Valenwood for TES VI. It's time to take the fight to the Dominion. :toughguy:

This would be extremely my poo poo. If the last three games did anything, it was make me hate Altmer.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

well that was a whole lot of not much? can't even explain his reasoning? :/ ..

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Moryrie posted:

well that was a whole lot of not much? can't even explain his reasoning? :/ ..

He talks about it elsewhere, I don't really feel like digging up all the comments but I had just seen them recently so it kind of goes like this:

1) As I said before felt the god felt too homebrew D&D campaign and wanted to move the tone of the series away from that with TES:A Redguard and Morrowind
2) The writer who came up with ebonarm no longer worked at bethesda and so kirkbride didn't feel like touching it (presumably no one else at bethesda either)

in all fairness Ebonarm (a god with an arm that is an ebony sword) is kind of dumb and was kind of redundant with stendarr already around who is already kind of patron of noble warriors and justice/opposed to daedra.

edit: just reread your original question and it isn't Ebonarm that Talos takes the place of, but Lorkhan who was the "missing god" who tricked everyone into kicking off creation and is why the Thalmor want to erase Talos.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 5, 2015

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

He talks about it elsewhere, I don't really feel like digging up all the comments but I had just seen them recently so it kind of goes like this:

1) As I said before felt the god felt too homebrew D&D campaign and wanted to move the tone of the series away from that with TES:A Redguard and Morrowind
2) The writer who came up with ebonarm no longer worked at bethesda and so kirkbride didn't feel like touching it (presumably no one else at bethesda either)

in all fairness Ebonarm (a god with an arm that is an ebony sword) is kind of dumb and was kind of redundant with stendarr already around who is already kind of patron of noble warriors and justice/opposed to daedra.

edit: just reread your original question and it isn't Ebonarm that Talos takes the place of, but Lorkhan who was the "missing god" who tricked everyone into kicking off creation and is why the Thalmor want to erase Talos.

Eh, Stendarr is different though, as Stendarr isn't really a warrior, and wasn't full on no-Daedra until after Oblivion. And Tiber Septim, at face value looks like the most generic warrior god ever. Oh yeah, he has background story. But he's a dead emperor, who was a complete rear end in a top hat, who is now regarded as a saint, because he's dead. He's Caesar. Only Caesar was less of a dick. But we're supposed to look at what he accomplished, not what he was, for some ridiculous reason. And oh, he's so important to holding reality together now! Ugh.

And I know about Lorkhan, and understand the complete deal with him, it's just he seems to have been worshipped by no one at all pre-Talos, while Ebonarm was worshipped, until Ebonarm was dropped from existence. There were 9 Divines, the 10th no one talked about, worshipped, etc because the elves hated him, then the 9th was replaced, and the 10th was merged with the 9th, and the dragon break rewrote everything so poor Ebonarm never was, I guess because Tiber Septim and Kirkbride hated him.

Also I like the Thalmor as an idea more than I like Talos, and certainly more than I like Kirkbride. Which makes me an odd duck I guess.

edit: To Clarify on the 'I like the Thalmor thing' before anyone gets the wrong idea.. I think the idea of a group of elves who seriously believe that they're actually descended from the Gods, and were trapped on Mundus because of Lorkhan's trickery, and believe that by eradicating all worship of his replacement the world will break and free them really kindof awesome? I'm pretty sure that they're completely insane and that their plot will fail. But, if the series has to end or be completely rebooted in a totally new Kapla, their victory, and the total destruction of Mundus as a result would be an interesting way to close out the series.

But no, I do not advocate elven supremacy, religious intolerance, genocide etc. I do advocate all fashion in the future games being designed by the Altmer though. Because the Thalmor robes were just about the only nice looking clothing in Skyrim. Nords should never design clothing ever again.

Moryrie fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 5, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Kirkbride said that in the end the Thalmor are going to win.

Averrences
May 3, 2008
Everyone's real optimistic that the next setting of Elder Scrolls will be somewhere interesting. But I know I'll be disappointed, and it will be in High Rock.

"We can keep the generic fantasy scene AND the mountains! Only no snow, but that's A-OK - keep the dragons in for good measure, maybe even make Orcs more aggressive and sort of like Falmer in this one since thats like LOTR guys!" :banjo:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Please no more foresworns. That storyline kind of went nowhere in Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

A part of me suspects either High Rock or Valenwood, if only because they're the only two regions that are 100% represented in ESO. Now, ESO isn't really a 1:1, since its a different engine and graphics, but if you go to the 1/3 of Skyrim playable in the game the maps pretty closely line up.

The only region which barely has any representation is Elsweyr, but I really doubt Bethesda will do something in a beastfolk area.

Hammerfell and Summerset Isles are both only half playable so maybe that could be a thing, but either way I am thinking that it will be pretty focused on the thalmor.

edit: If it is Valenwood, its one of the cooler regions in ESO.