Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Dicky B posted:

Did Anselm die? :ohdear:

Reddit posted:

This is just a quick courtesy update to let everyone know that Anselm is deep in to his thesis at the moment. He has a deadline, so you probably won't see an update from him for a bit.
I'm working on a piece of code at the moment and as soon as it is producing decent results, I'll post an update on it.

That was from one of the programmers that he brought on board to help out and was posted 18 days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

KongGeorgeVII posted:

That was from one of the programmers that he brought on board to help out and was posted 18 days ago.

The dangers of having a girlfriend and doing well at school. goons be warned!

:qqsay:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Why cant he be happy in low level IT like the rest of us!?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shadowlz posted:

Why cant he be unhappy in low level IT like the rest of us!?

Fixed

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shadowlz posted:

Why cant he be drunk in despair in low level IT like the rest of us!?

fixed the fix

anselm_eickhoff
Mar 2, 2014

aeplay.co
I am back, sorry for not really letting you know!

Here is some progress:

Developer Diary #5: Back to Business

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Putting love and marriage above indie game development? For shame!

Have you been following Skylines at all? Have you learned anything from it's successes or shortcomings ?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Will you implement turning lanes?

anselm_eickhoff
Mar 2, 2014

aeplay.co

Baronjutter posted:

Putting love and marriage above indie game development? For shame!

Have you been following Skylines at all? Have you learned anything from it's successes or shortcomings ?

Yes - I have learned a lot. I tweeted a 140-char summary of my impressions so far:

"great example for enthusiasm about city building,
addresses many issues of SC5 but has its own
and doesn't innovate far enough
"

Edit: I just realized exactly how little information that contains, I'll reply in more detail soon.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Will you implement turning lanes?

Yes.

Also there is a new dev diary:

Developer Diary #6: Zoning, Struggling, Parceling

Highlights:

anselm_eickhoff fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 21, 2015

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I caught part of your stream where you were working on the zoning patterns and deciding whether or not you should bother transforming the stripes to world-space. The consensus in the chat seemed to be "no" and I couldn't remember my twitch login so I couldn't respond.

I'm not sure if there's a name for the effect where such a pattern remains stationary while the aperture moves around (something like a reverse barberpole illusion?) but I think the reason it's avoided in games is because it causes motion sickness in some people. When you started moving the camera around I had to stop watching the stream because it was making me nauseous. Just wanted to throw that out there!

anselm_eickhoff
Mar 2, 2014

aeplay.co

Dicky B posted:

I caught part of your stream where you were working on the zoning patterns and deciding whether or not you should bother transforming the stripes to world-space. The consensus in the chat seemed to be "no" and I couldn't remember my twitch login so I couldn't respond.

I'm not sure if there's a name for the effect where such a pattern remains stationary while the aperture moves around (something like a reverse barberpole illusion?) but I think the reason it's avoided in games is because it causes motion sickness in some people. When you started moving the camera around I had to stop watching the stream because it was making me nauseous. Just wanted to throw that out there!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll attach it to world-coordinates.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That lot system looks awesome. Will we have any control over it? Like if we want lots of tiny lots vs a few big lots? Many tiny lots in a low density residential area could produce a sort japanese style neighbourhood with a very high density of small nearly lot-filling houses, while large low density would produce something like an american McMansion suburb. Medium density tiny lots would produce something like row-houses while larger lots would produce wider and larger apartment buildings and complex's. Small industrial lots would result in small businesses, car repair shops, cabinetry workshops, while huge industrial lots would produce large scale factory complexes. And of course tiny commercial or mixed use lots would give your classic main st or high street row of shops while large low density commercial would be malls, shopping centres, big box.

And even if none of these size/uses had much mechanical effect on the game, having some control over the look/scale of your city is so much fun.

anselm_eickhoff
Mar 2, 2014

aeplay.co

Baronjutter posted:

That lot system looks awesome. Will we have any control over it? Like if we want lots of tiny lots vs a few big lots? Many tiny lots in a low density residential area could produce a sort japanese style neighbourhood with a very high density of small nearly lot-filling houses, while large low density would produce something like an american McMansion suburb. Medium density tiny lots would produce something like row-houses while larger lots would produce wider and larger apartment buildings and complex's. Small industrial lots would result in small businesses, car repair shops, cabinetry workshops, while huge industrial lots would produce large scale factory complexes. And of course tiny commercial or mixed use lots would give your classic main st or high street row of shops while large low density commercial would be malls, shopping centres, big box.

And even if none of these size/uses had much mechanical effect on the game, having some control over the look/scale of your city is so much fun.

Control over lot subdivision is exactly one of these things that you'll be able to set on a per-zone-shape basis.

anselm_eickhoff
Mar 2, 2014

aeplay.co
Important new developer diary!

Developer Diary #7 - The Economic Model

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Wow. I was merely excited about Citybound before this update and now I'm absolutely through the roof with glee about playing this game!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is great.

I only got to the first bullet point before checking the date, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad you've finally heeded to my wisdom about abstracted systems, I still worry you're focusing too much on graphics though. That's time that could be put into more accurate statistics.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'm glad you've finally heeded to my wisdom about abstracted systems, I still worry you're focusing too much on graphics though. That's time that could be put into more accurate statistics.
You can balance workloads you know, the game is not named Spergbound.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

You can balance workloads you know, the game is not named Spergbound.

Did you read the link...?

Anselm, I'm sure you've been at least watching Cities: Skyline's successful launch. Maybe playing it too? I'd be curious to hear your impressions in general, and particularly if there are things you see Citybound doing differently, lessons to take away, etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CO is saying they are going to be adding semi-dynamic wall to wall european buildings into their system. I can't wrap my head around how they are going to do that without having a completely different zoning tool/system. Right now sections of road create a 4 deep grid of zonable tiles behind the road. The tiles are 8x8m so pretty big, which means slight variations in the angle of the road can cause large empty spots up to 7.9m wide. But the system doesn't know what tiles are text to it unless the tiles are part of that exact grid. If it's off by 1 degree that's a separate grid. I'm super curious how they're going to implement this and how it would fit into the existing system. You'd almost have to create a new set of wall to wall zones that didn't use the tiles but instead snapped to the outer edges of the roads, forming a spline or what ever for dynamic wall to wall buildings to spawn on.

Citybound was designed from the ground up for dynamic buildings, but I can't imagine adding procedural buildings to an existing grid based game. I'm curious if you have any insight or guesses how they'll do this. Or maybe they can't and we'll just get some awful compromised system.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
The easiest way is if they just don't do it on anything but completely straight roads.

But that seems fairly limited, especially because roads are anything but completely straight around here.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah I could imagine CO would just make wall-to-wall buildings be a couple special categories/flags for "corner", "double corner", "enclosed in roads" and of course "no corners", and only spawn on perfectly rectangular blocks. That would just be sad, but they sort of painted themselves into a corner with that grid system. Even then, it does seem that their zoning is not actually grid based, but a "map" like e.g. pollution levels and wind speeds are, and the zone colors shown in the grid are a quantization of the map. My reasoning for them having a map for zoning is how existing zoning re-flows when you change around roads.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They've specifically said though that they will be dynamic and conform to curves/corners. Like previously they only said they were doing "Wall to wall buildings" but in a recent interview they actually specified that they'd be dynamic and curve-conforming, which blew my mind. Because yeah, I assumed we'd just get wall to wall STYLE buildings that still had to grow on the ugly grid system. Short of creating an entirely new zoning system from scratch I don't see how they're going to do this. And for their first free feature?? Seems extremely ambitious, unless I'm not fully understanding what they're doing.

I'm glad Citybound went this way from the start. I really think Skylines should have done the same. Even Train Fever had simple dynamic buildings and could figure out how to space transit vehicles out on a line.

Anyways, Anselm, we miss you and want to talk about city things!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I find it hard to have any regrets about the way Cities: Skylines has done anything because it's so loving awesome.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

uXs posted:

I find it hard to have any regrets about the way Cities: Skylines has done anything because it's so loving awesome.

Yeah, given how much they got right it's small beer to whine about the euro buildings, particularly since the whine is "They're adding this? And for FREE? And I don't understand HOW????".

I mean, sheesh.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

smr posted:

Yeah, given how much they got right it's small beer to whine about the euro buildings, particularly since the whine is "They're adding this? And for FREE? And I don't understand HOW????".

I mean, sheesh.

I think you're mistaking "making conversation" for "whining." It is a legitimately interesting question as to how they'll make it work since the existing grid/zone system doesn't look too accommodating.

Every game on the size and scope of a properly ambitious city simulator is going to have rough spots, shortcomings, and outright bugs. Nothing wrong with talking about how certain things could be better even in a generally awesome title. In fact people complaining about stuff (in moderation) is usually a good sign for a game; truly bad games just get ignored and forgotten. Unless they're bad enough to be interesting in their own right, I guess.

Anyway, forthcoming wall-to-wall aside, I find myself wishing zoning in C:S worked as we've seen in the Citybound videos, with a freeform brush instead of the grid. Even with the gaps from rectangular lots it would be nice if running roads together at anything other than a perfectly perpendicular angle could still spawn large buildings. The grid in C:S gets chopped up into a patchwork extremely easily.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Dude went from "I can't see how they're going to accomplish this" to "even [shitter game] got this right, what's their problem?!?!?!" so it read as whining. Let's see how they actually do it and maybe wait until then to decide if it sucks or not or if some other, lesser game (sorry, Train Fever sucked) did that one feature better.

Anywho, to be on-topic, I hope C:S's success is inspiring and not inhibiting you, Anselm, it really feels like you are both going in different directions with your designs and I think the sales success of C:S shows that the city builder market will support that if they're good :)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

smr posted:

different directions

I for one am ferociously curious to see the systems start to come together around "an entire city defined on a line." I think I have my mind wrapped around the concept but I really want to see it in action.

This is the reason I actually make it a policy never to follow games through development; the suspense kills me!

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

LonsomeSon posted:

I for one am ferociously curious to see the systems start to come together around "an entire city defined on a line." I think I have my mind wrapped around the concept but I really want to see it in action.

Check the date on that post.

anselm_eickhoff
Mar 2, 2014

aeplay.co
New DevDiary featuring Michael!

Developer Diary #8 - Technical Background Work

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I understood some of the words in that post. Really looking forward to hearing how the economy is planned on working.
The existence of a dynamic straight-skeleton lot system already puts you guys way ahead of any city-builder out there, at least in terms of lots.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a wonderfully dense nugget of information! I was thinking earlier today, "It's been a while since I've heard from the Citybound guys..." and lo and behold, an update!

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
We use Kelly and Wonka's "Procedural Extrusions" (which is basically straight skeleton + weights) for the roofs of Clockwork Empires buildings and our building creator (Thomas Kelly's thesis is here: http://twak.blogspot.ca/). It is a pain in the rear end to get working. Let me know if you have questions, I've probably made the same mistakes several times already...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Clockwork empires has procedural buildings???

anselm_eickhoff
Mar 2, 2014

aeplay.co

nvining posted:

We use Kelly and Wonka's "Procedural Extrusions" (which is basically straight skeleton + weights) for the roofs of Clockwork Empires buildings and our building creator (Thomas Kelly's thesis is here: http://twak.blogspot.ca/). It is a pain in the rear end to get working. Let me know if you have questions, I've probably made the same mistakes several times already...

Baronjutter posted:

Clockwork empires has procedural buildings???

I was wondering the same thing! Nvining, Do you have some screenshots that show that off? (I couldn't find any)

Really good to know about you and that you implemented this, since I wanted to use exactly that paper for our procedural building system as well!
So far we've only tackled 2D skeletons, when we get around to implement extrusions, I might come back to you about it! Thanks for offering advice!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Here, let me help.

There's some really good ones around somewhere but I couldn't find them either :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ah of course, stuff like the roofs of houses in the sims being auto-generated based on the footprint of the house.
In the drafting program I use at work there's a roof tool that basically does that. You trace a footprint, pick a type of roof and bam, it generates that style of roof for you. You can then fiddle with each eve and poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Ah of course, stuff like the roofs of houses in the sims being auto-generated based on the footprint of the house.
In the drafting program I use at work there's a roof tool that basically does that. You trace a footprint, pick a type of roof and bam, it generates that style of roof for you. You can then fiddle with each eve and poo poo.

You get to play The Sims at work?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know how my drafting program does it but it seems to be able to figure it out pretty fast.

Draw a shape

"Create Roof"

All done!

3d!!!!

I selected one of the sides and changed it to a gable

It can also do any ol' weird shape instantly no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I had a demo of Chief Architect 4.0 on a single floppy disc in the 90s that could also do that, so the magic involved can't be too intense.

• Locked thread