Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
Just ordered all the electronics for my Yeti XL.

RX8 GEN2 ESC, Sensor Wire and Cooling Fan
Tekin Redline T8 Gen 2 2250kV Sensored Brushless Motor
Tekin Hotwire 2.0 Interface
Spektrum DX4C DSMR 4-Channel Radio w/ SRS4210
ProTek R/C 170T "Chad Bradley Team Edition - High Torque" Digital Servo

Venom Sport Power 40C 2S 4000mAh 7.4 LiPO Battery ROAR Approved with UNI Plug
Already have one of those Venom Lipos for my drift car. Bought another. I'll switch over to 3s or 4s later. All the good Lipo sites are sold out of everything.

Picked up another SkyRC charger so I can charge 2 at a time.

The wait is killing me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can you go 6s with those electronics ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I bought a 4 channel transmitter/receiver for the wraith. Hopefully that fixes it. Also a castle link for the ESC.

Can I fit a castle 2200kv in this thing ?

Edit: New electronics didn't fix it. LoL I'm just dumb. The ESC is set up for Lipo and you have to turn off the voltage safety thing to run it with NIMH or it acts funny.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 29, 2015

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006

jonathan posted:

Can you go 6s with those electronics ?

Yes you can. Although I doubt I would ever need to.

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006

jonathan posted:

So I bought a 4 channel transmitter/receiver for the wraith. Hopefully that fixes it. Also a castle link for the ESC.

Can I fit a castle 2200kv in this thing ?

Edit: New electronics didn't fix it. LoL I'm just dumb. The ESC is set up for Lipo and you have to turn off the voltage safety thing to run it with NIMH or it acts funny.

People have done it but it looks like you have to change gears and do some mods like raising the motor mount etc..

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jdfording posted:

People have done it but it looks like you have to change gears and do some mods like raising the motor mount etc..

Yeah after getting the settings all done, a crazy fast motor isn't needed for this thing. A little quick top speed would be nice, but it's the low speed drivability that needs attention. I'm going to go brushless sensored and with the 2 speed trans I figure crawling should be decent.

Bombing around crawling poo poo with this thing is more fun than running the slash on flat pavement. Overall racing the Slash on the local RC track or the big BMX track is the ultimate though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wraith update:

Moved electronics to rear
bought a 2s lipo for the front
Bought a Castle link

Moved the front upper shock mount rearward to get a lower CG. Flipped the rear shock mounts upside down. I have some upper shock mount extenders on order. Once they arrive I'm going to take some measurements and then get some longer travel shocks.

Excited for the 2 speed trans. Once that arrives then I'm going to build an Ultra4 buggy circuit beside the house and see what breaks.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Awesome Wraith. I have mine set up with the battery and receiver up front, and ESC in the back. Ridiculous fun in loose dirt and mud.

No pictures yet (still working on the body paint) but my latest project is a Tamiya Lunch Box. It was a lot of fun putting everything together, and this thing is an absolute hoot when powered with modern electronics. Right now, it's got a Hobbywing Quicrun ESC and a 20T brushed motor. Squeeze the trigger from a standstill and it basically does a backflip.

After this, I'm kind of obsessed with the idea of a rally kit, so I'm gonna need someone to talk me out of buying an XV-01 and all the goodies. Help.
edit: nevermind, tower hobbies' super saver discount codes were too much to resist.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 2, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So I think I'm dragging my TC3 out of storage. Turns out there's a fairly active Vintage Trans Am class finally. :getin:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

HPI Q32 as fun as it looks? I haven't dicked with RC since I had a Tamiya DB01 moneypit. Never screwed around with mini/micro stuff but it seems like a good gateway drug to get back into RC.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Those 4wd buggies always seemed to be lots of money... I can't believe they sold it with a beer can motor. Tamiya is weird like that though.

I've got a serious affinity for the 1/24 stuff from losi.

Wooah, the Q32 finally is available? And the price isn't bad. The only indicator against it, are the Losi 1/36 stuff. Which while 27mhz, are also "complete" cars. Four a-arms, four shocks, motor and diff that are not unsprung weight. A real steering servo. A clear upgrade path, and a greater choice of tires.

$60 for the Q32

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-...=item1e9ba0c7fc

$80 for a Micro T

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-Micro-T-1-36-RTR-Truck-w-Charger-Battery-LOSB0230T1-Red-/201307217839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eded85faf

I wouldn't think very hard over that decision. But I also wouldn't say you're silly for going q32. :-)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I got the Lunch Box all painted and wired up. With a 20T motor and 3S battery, it runs like stink. With the battery keeping the COG low, it's not as tipsy as you might imagine, but turning requires a certain amount of forethought, as the front wheels don't like to touch the ground all that often.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nerobro posted:

Those 4wd buggies always seemed to be lots of money... I can't believe they sold it with a beer can motor. Tamiya is weird like that though.

I've got a serious affinity for the 1/24 stuff from losi.

Wooah, the Q32 finally is available? And the price isn't bad. The only indicator against it, are the Losi 1/36 stuff. Which while 27mhz, are also "complete" cars. Four a-arms, four shocks, motor and diff that are not unsprung weight. A real steering servo. A clear upgrade path, and a greater choice of tires.

$60 for the Q32

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-...=item1e9ba0c7fc

$80 for a Micro T

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-Micro-T-1-36-RTR-Truck-w-Charger-Battery-LOSB0230T1-Red-/201307217839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eded85faf

I wouldn't think very hard over that decision. But I also wouldn't say you're silly for going q32. :-)

Yeah, my other and completely different thought was to go for a used Losi SCT 1/24 brushless..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201321441280?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My DB01 was fun and ridiculously fast (novak 3.5R and a slipper clutch), but it was just driveline/suspension destruction at all times.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

So I think I'm dragging my TC3 out of storage. Turns out there's a fairly active Vintage Trans Am class finally. :getin:

VTA absolutely rules. I run in a VTA class at my local track (with some small changes to the rules). The tyres take a lap or two to grip up since you are not allowed warmers or tyre goop. Since they have to run more weight than a regular touring car, you can see the cars leaning to one side in corners. And I like how nearly all the shells look like the real life cars, not like the NASCAR type shells some touring car shells look like these days

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Oh hell, I just looked up VTA cars. Those look loving baller. I demand videos :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'll have to get done video somehow.

Anyone got a line on cheap 25.5 motors? The local track doesn't care who makes it, but the usual Chinese suspects don't seem to have anything in 25.5t. Scratch that, I apparently have been gifted one by my old man. gently caress it, it's 1991 all over again, except this time we're screwing around with TC3s and lipos instead of RC12is and 1500mAh NiCds (in eight minute races!) :getin:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 5, 2015

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
Finally got all my electronics for my Yeti XL and got to drive it yesterday. I spent the evening installing everything, dialing everything in and glued up the tires. The tires on this thing are huge and it took a while to glue them.

I really like the Tekin RX8 Gen 2 ESC. The setup interface on the computer using Hotwire is really easy to use. All I had to do was reverse the motor and turn up the BEC to 7.4v. I also set the drag brake to 25%. The ProTek 170T servo has 630oz of torque at 7.4v and it turns this thing with ease.

First run lasted about 5 min. Had to adjust the slipper clutch. Second run lasted about the same. Motor mount wasn't tight enough so it backed the pinion away from the spur gear. Third run was about 30 seconds. I forgot to Loctite the pinion screw that holds it to the motor output shaft and the pinion backed off the spur and slid down the output shaft. Luckily the screw was still inside the spur cover. Put some Loctite on it and then ran it for over 30 minutes with no issues. Didn't even run out of battery after that time running 2, 2s Lipos.

I'm using a Spektrum radio with AVC which is like having traction control. You can adjust how sensitive it is. AVC makes this thing really stable at high speeds. You can adjust the steering and throttle independent of each other. Nice thing about AVC is that it's subtle and you don't really notice it.

This is the most fun I've ever had with an rc vehicle. I think 2s is plenty of power for what I will use it for. I'm glad I didn't jump right into 4s. I'm very happy with the purchase and also glad I went with the kit so I know how everything is assembled and it makes it easy to troubleshoot when something goes bad. The after market for the XL is very good also. Will start to upgrade some stuff as needed but I'm happy with it right now stock.

Just have to paint the body. I'm going to go with a desert tan. Will post up pics when it's done.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I'll have to get done video somehow.

Anyone got a line on cheap 25.5 motors? The local track doesn't care who makes it, but the usual Chinese suspects don't seem to have anything in 25.5t. Scratch that, I apparently have been gifted one by my old man. gently caress it, it's 1991 all over again, except this time we're screwing around with TC3s and lipos instead of RC12is and 1500mAh NiCds (in eight minute races!) :getin:
VTA at my track runs 21.5T and we're looking at doing a VTA-fest where people can run 13.5T and Open motors :getin:

What shell are you running IOC?

Here's my VTA shell collection:

Allan Moffat 69 BOSS Mustang. First VTA shell I ran

The Plymouth Cuda Paddock basher - second shell

Current shell - 68 Camaro

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

That Cuda one owns. Love the paintjob on it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Awesome VTA stuff! I love that scale realism is a popular part of RC again, and even with some of the racers.

If any of you guys are interested in top level nitro buggy racing, I'm at work he Neo race this weekend and it's great to finally see drivers like Tessmann and Mayfield race in person. I've been going to many of the European championships the past few years so I haven't seen the boys from North America do their thing.

I'm helping cover the races for https://www.rcracingtv.net and https://www.neobuggy.net free live streaming all day and you can always catch up with the action since Friday on the YouTube channel.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

T1g4h posted:

That Cuda one owns. Love the paintjob on it.

That was done by a mate of mine who is awesome at airbrushing. The other two were Tamiya rattle can jobs by me

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

Yeah, my other and completely different thought was to go for a used Losi SCT 1/24 brushless..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201321441280?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My DB01 was fun and ridiculously fast (novak 3.5R and a slipper clutch), but it was just driveline/suspension destruction at all times.

The 1/24 brushed Losi SCT and Rally cars are a complete, utter gas. They're "entertaining" with the 4.8v battery in them, and they're FAST with a 2s lipo in them.

Here's mine with a Lipo in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMQiGhr2JZE The big problem at the foam track, was having to much traction, and rolling. Wheelspin wasn't a thing, braking was "now", and the only real limit was my ability to guide the darned thing.

And against the recommendation of the local off road track, I've run the 1/24 SCT at the 1/10 scale track. As long as I timed the jumps well, it went very well.

I expect the brushless will just be "more".

I'm working on building a 2wd 1/24 SCT.. Some guy in spain sells a chassis that stretches a 1/36 losi truck into a 1/24 length, and it fits the bodies for the 1/24 SCT.

My biggest problem at the moment, is being unable to ~find~ my SCT. As I typed that sentance, I think I remembered where it is...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jdfording posted:

I'm using a Spektrum radio with AVC which is like having traction control. You can adjust how sensitive it is. AVC makes this thing really stable at high speeds. You can adjust the steering and throttle independent of each other. Nice thing about AVC is that it's subtle and you don't really notice it.

So I went to the hobby shop and swapped out my spektrum receiver for the Spektrum AVC receiver. Put it in my 2wd brushless Slash and LoL this is the best mod ive done so far. It improves the handling and controllability so much, and as an added bonus it makes the vehicle look like a real truck while ripping along.

And is it just me or does it improve stability while in the air too ?

I also got a custom built 2s Lipo battery, 7800Mah. The added juice burned up a drive wheel hub :(

I guess there is a metal replacement ? I'll also need a new wheel.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What kind of transmitters are you guys using? I just ordered a bunch of RC stuff for quad and fixed-wing flying but what the hell, I'm into all sorts of AI so why not cars as well. I'm going to have a Mode 2 9XR, would that be usable for cars or is a separate one with one of those tiny steering wheels necessary to drive reasonably?

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

What kind of transmitters are you guys using? I just ordered a bunch of RC stuff for quad and fixed-wing flying but what the hell, I'm into all sorts of AI so why not cars as well. I'm going to have a Mode 2 9XR, would that be usable for cars or is a separate one with one of those tiny steering wheels necessary to drive reasonably?

I use this one.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/spm4210.htm

Great price and has the AVC receiver included. AVC uses 4 channels. Throttle up/down and Steering L/R.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

My preferred surface controllers were ones with two sticks. The only tricky bit, is transmitters designed for flying don't have a center return spring on the throttle. It'll work... but the interface will feel really funny.

For surface work, I end up using a Kyosho Prefex 27mhz pistol grip transmitter, or one of the 2.4ghz "in the box" spektrum pistol style transmitters that come with Losi Cars.

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
Took the Yeti XL out to the local track in town. Never even new we had one. It's a really nice park. They have a big dirt track a rock crawling course a huge pile of rocks to crawl on and a place to fly aircraft. Drove around for about an hour till the plastic Axial servo horn stripped out on me. Just ordered the Axial aluminum 25t on eBay.

The Yeti handled the rocks with ease. Love this thing. Now if my paint would just get here so I can put the body panels on. With 2s batteries I got over an hour run time. Half crawling and half racing around in the grass and about 15min at home after I installed a spare servo horn. The Yeti is going to be at this park a lot.

This is the big rock pile. I didn't take any pics of the dirt track or the crawler course.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

You guys need to knock off this Yeti XL poo poo because it's making me want to buy one and I don't have that kind of cash laying around right now.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Went to the bmx track and within 2 minutes I lost the upper mounting screw for a rear shock. Walked over to the r/c track. Some guy there had a brand new yeti, and wanted to trade for my wraith straight across. I think I'd enjoy the wriath more than the yeti 1/10 since I already have a slash.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Anyone got an experience of the Vaterra Twin Hammers? I was thinking of picking one up and using the electronics from my always broken ECX in it.

I completed the axle steering mod on my sons Wheely King, much improved now and he's happy with it, less frustration. I had to replace the servo with a metal geared one and I also put on a Kimbrough server saver and the front bumper / skid plate off a Nitro King on it. The next job is to fix the front suspension of my other sons Digger as it had a rather exciting failure while doing stupid jumps in a BMX dirt jump area the local youth have built. Good fun place to drive, bit aggressive on the cars.

Jekub fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 8, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

VTA at my track runs 21.5T and we're looking at doing a VTA-fest where people can run 13.5T and Open motors :getin:

What shell are you running IOC?

Early second-gen Camaro (I think the guy making them calls them a '70). Mine is the white with red, my dad's is red with white.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Alright, so its tax return season, and I think I'm going to grab my first "big-boy" RC vehicle.

As much as I want to drop a ton of coin on something high end, I'm really thinking a good "entry-level" machine would do it for me.

I'm really attracted to the HPI Wheely King, mainly because a) its relatively inexpensive to start with and b) its waterproof.

Assuming I go that route, are there any "must-have" addons/replacements I should look into? Any spare parts I should have on hand? I'm not overly budget limited (except by my own common sense), but if its going to be an extra hundred or two to make it "good", do I then move up to something like a 1/10th Axial Yeti, or a Traxis Slash 4x4?

I live in Northern Ontario, so lots of bush, lots of rocks, and a fair pile of streams/waterfalls/swampy stuff, so I'd prefer something that won't throw up and die when it gets wet.

I'm tempted to go Kit, but I'm not comfortable enough with how much I want to get into this hobby to go all out, so I figure if I get addicted to racing with an RTR then I will be good to go.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Early second-gen Camaro (I think the guy making them calls them a '70). Mine is the white with red, my dad's is red with white.

They are ok shells, but look a little too "blobby" for my liking. The second gen Camaro/Firebird weren't that curvy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is there a guide or something you guys can recommend I can look at to figure out which motor, ESC, and batteries are best for an electric LST XXL? I'm about to bite the bullet and grab the electronic conversion kit for mine. However, I know nothing about electronics from, oh, the past 15 years. I assume the radio that came with the truck (Spektrum DX3S) and it's receiver are fine.

I'll be doing mostly bashing with it and occasionally take it out to a race track. I don't know if it matters, but I live in a hot, humid area. If I need something other than a motor, ESC, and batteries, please let me know.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

And just to add another question in - what are some good sites to browse for recommendations/reviews/etc? Just looking to find some places with good info for an idiot to look things up on.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Siochain posted:

And just to add another question in - what are some good sites to browse for recommendations/reviews/etc? Just looking to find some places with good info for an idiot to look things up on.

RCTech - rctech.net is probably the best place for RC stuff, be it on/off road, water or air.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Siochain posted:

Youtube. Some really good channels on there that beat the poo poo out of stuff and review what needs to be fixed etc.

If you're going to be doing mostly high speed out in the open stuff I'd get a Traxxas Slash VXL (brushless) kit. You will want a good charger and an extra battery to go with it.

If you want to do a mix of ripping around plus some trail crawling etc get the Axial Yeti.

If you want something that is a little slower but super fun and a huge aftermarket full of cheap parts, get the Axial Wraith. This one kinda sucks out of the box but if you lower it a bit it becomes a pretty fun crawler.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Well, I found a nice video that explains what all the numbers on a lipo battery means:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDejvqVK9C4

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006

Jekub posted:

Anyone got an experience of the Vaterra Twin Hammers? I was thinking of picking one up and using the electronics from my always broken ECX in it.

I completed the axle steering mod on my sons Wheely King, much improved now and he's happy with it, less frustration. I had to replace the servo with a metal geared one and I also put on a Kimbrough server saver and the front bumper / skid plate off a Nitro King on it. The next job is to fix the front suspension of my other sons Digger as it had a rather exciting failure while doing stupid jumps in a BMX dirt jump area the local youth have built. Good fun place to drive, bit aggressive on the cars.

I almost purchased a Twin Hammers when they first came out but got an Axial SCX10 instead. The Twin can rock crawl and go fast with the 2 speed trans though. They have a lot of upgrades available for them now and also a kit version. I know the RTR version has a 2 speed transmission and has some issues that need to be fixed right out of the box. The servo on the 2 speed transmission isn't setup right from the factory and you have to adjust it or it breaks. They also have a really small battery box so choices are limited. I would probably go with a 1/10 Yeti over the Vaterra, better aftermarket and Axial just makes good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006

Siochain posted:

Alright, so its tax return season, and I think I'm going to grab my first "big-boy" RC vehicle.

As much as I want to drop a ton of coin on something high end, I'm really thinking a good "entry-level" machine would do it for me.

I'm really attracted to the HPI Wheely King, mainly because a) its relatively inexpensive to start with and b) its waterproof.

Assuming I go that route, are there any "must-have" addons/replacements I should look into? Any spare parts I should have on hand? I'm not overly budget limited (except by my own common sense), but if its going to be an extra hundred or two to make it "good", do I then move up to something like a 1/10th Axial Yeti, or a Traxis Slash 4x4?

I live in Northern Ontario, so lots of bush, lots of rocks, and a fair pile of streams/waterfalls/swampy stuff, so I'd prefer something that won't throw up and die when it gets wet.

I'm tempted to go Kit, but I'm not comfortable enough with how much I want to get into this hobby to go all out, so I figure if I get addicted to racing with an RTR then I will be good to go.

Don't be intimidated with building a kit. My first 2 RC's were a RTR Axial SCX10 and a RTR MST drift car. They are nice because you can throw in a battery and go but when they break (and they will break) you will be pulling your hair out trying to figure out how to take it apart. I bought the Yeti XL kit and hadn't put together a kit in 15 years and was nervous about building it. Especially when it came to installing the electronics but with the internet and so many how to videos it was a breeze. I actually had a ton of fun building it. When it breaks it's easy to troubleshoot and fix because you know how it works.