Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I was going to post one of those not-fooling-anyone mail-order catalog pictures of a "neck massager", but wouldn't you know it, everything I could find with my search terms was an actual neck massager.

As for a starting guide, I've managed to last to the first night (A rare occurrence with me) with an Abandoned Patient start that took Escrima. Warmth was solved by grabbing a blanket from a hospital bed and wearing it when not fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Someone write a new starting out hide I still haven't made it past the first three days since C released

This guide assumes that you are relatively new. I'm not going to go into anything fancy, just a guide to getting up an running. When you are more experienced, you can try some of the fancier builds, or challenge scenarios.

Character creation
Starting the evacuee scenario has the tremendous perk of starting in an evac shelter. This will give you some time to prepare your starting equipment in relative peace.

Since it is relatively simple to make your starting equipment, feel free to choose one of the +1 sp professions (Novice MA or chain smoker would probably be best)

As for skills, Quick is easily the most important. Speed is life, and quick speeds up everything. I would also recommend one of the other speed boosting options; Parkour expert lets you furniture dance, while Fleet-footed gives you a speed bonus on open terrain. Picking both is probably a waste; parkour is a bit better for melee (it is easy to guarantee that zombies are move-locked), and fleet footed is a little better if you are planning to be more ranged. But both movement perks are good for either combat style.

Night vision is also pretty must have; being able to see that extra tile makes night raiding a very good thing. It also makes it a lot easier to loot basements, which tend to have the best goodies.

Some others that you may want to consider (depending on your preference):
Light step is good for night raiding
If you are planning on keeping this character to endgame, Robust genetics makes mutating much more beneficial
Inconspicuous makes it less likely that wandering mobs will get you in your sleep (not usually an issue if you are living in your evac shelter)

Negatives:
You should certainly get negative traits; some of them are basically free points. Since NPC's aren't on by default (and not that great yet), Ugly and Truth-teller have no downsides. Poor hearing is almost a perk, as it will keep you from being awoken; and taking night vision allows you to detect zombies beyond melee range already. Glass jaw is a pretty minor penalty for the points that it gives. Trigger happy is only a problem if you use automatic weapons with few bullets. Lactose intolerance is pretty safe; milk doesn't last very long and the other milk-based foods aren't farmable. Junk food intolerance is so-so; you usually end up eating a lot of this as a young character, but you shouldn't if you have healthier options. Water isn't usually an issue (toilets are plentiful, as is rainwater) so High thirst is usually a safe bet. Insomniac can get a little annoying, but the two points you get are worth it. Weak stomach only serves to magnify the penalty for eating things you shouldn't (later on causes a little problem for using an alcohol burner CBM, but something you can deal with). These should get you over the 12 point threshold

Stats: you want each of these to be at least 11. If you have extra points, strength always benefits (you need 12 to use the best bow, most of the other benefits are to melee, but it does improve your resistance to disease and poison) Dex benefits from bringing it to 12, but not much higher. If you are certain that you want to focus on a ranged character, a 12 perception gives a little benefit, but less than the other stats (whereas less than 11 means that you run the risk of not detecting landmines, which is very bad).

Skills: Looking at the long term, points in skills are wasted, since this is the one area that you will improve. However, if you are just starting out, a single point in dodge lets you skip the most dangerous phase of training.

Preparing
If you started out in the evac shelter, you have a bunch of materials availabe to you.

Removing the curtain from a couple windows gives you string and rags, which can give you thread. Smashing a bench gives you wooden splinters which lets you make wood needles. Start off reinforcing all of your clothing, even if you aren't going to end up wearing them. This should raise your tailoring by a point, so you can make more. If not, make bandanas and reinforce them until you have tailoring of 1. At this point, you want to make clothing that 1) gives you the warmth you need to stay fast, 2) the storage you need, and 3) low encumberance. Consider making a trenchcoat, long underwear pieces, arm and leg warmers, shorts, hand and feet wraps. For your head, you will want to make a balaclava, but that requires 1 point of survival, so you should go outside and forage some bushes until your survival gets to 1.

If you want to start as melee (or after making your outfit you are low on supplies and need to raid now), I recommend making a makeshift crowbar. Get a pipe from smashing a locker, and a rock from outside, and make a makeshift crowbar. If you took quick, you can still sting it faster than regular zombies can move, the +2 to hit is very good when you are starting, and you will need it anyway when you are breaking into houses. If you have a little more time, consider making a nailboard trap out of nails and 2x4's; set it up, wait behind it, and the zombie that steps on it will be damaged and slowed.

If you have the freedom and want to jump in to ranged combat, make a self bow out of a heavy stick and string, lockpicks out of splinters and wooden arrow shafts out of 2x4's until you have 1 fabrication. Practice with the bow on nearby small game until you also have 1 archery; this lets you add nails to the arrow shafts to make field point wooden arrows, which is arrow enough to start.

Your first scavenging trip
Where you should target depends on your build, the time of day, and your requirements:

If you need food and/or water, you should probably find a house at the outskirts of town. Don't worry about bringing consumables back to base yet, just eat what you can. Some things that you will want to grab if available: a caffeinated soda (or other upper), a screwdriver, any aspirin, vitamins, and other 0 volume drugs/items you can find. Basic skill books. If you find a big bag clothing item, strap it on, and begin looting in earnest; just remember that you will have to drop it (and most of your loot) if you plan to engage a zombie in melee.

If it is night time: you are a lot more flexible. Look for a grocery store reasonably close to the edge of town, and head there. When you are close to/in town, tread carefully. If a zombie comes into sight range, walk around them. Once you get to the grocery store, you will hopefully find the most important item for the early game; a shopping cart. Shopping carts hold more volume and weight than you could hope to, and don't cost you any encumbrance while doing so. They are a little annoying to move around, but well worth it for raiding.

If it is day time, but you don't have any pressing needs, you can start some cautious raiding (or wait till night, practicing whatever you want). Go to the outermost house that you can see. If you don't see any hostile creatures, you are free to start looting. If you do, you have to choose to a) engage, or b) loot, while recognizing that you are on a timer before that zombie reaches you. You might want to consider first making sure that you have an exit; smash one of the windows and clear the shards for a back door.

Moving forward
You are going to want to focus on scavenging the outskirts. Try not to take on any of the fancy zombies until you have the skills to do so. Build up your food and water reserve, until you are confident that you could last a few days without going outside. You can also get food and water from the wilderness, but it takes a little more effort. Bushes can be foraged for a lot of things. Pinecones can be cooked into pine nuts. Once you have a gallon jug you can make a funnel to capture rainwater.

Once you have the supplies, you can start the process of long-term survival. Spend a couple days reading the basic skill books (the ones for your style(s) of combat (especially the dance books), basic construction, fabrication, cooking, and tailoring). These are a pretty cheap way to raise your skills, as they don't require you to spend supplies or risk yourself in actual combat; plus many of them contain recipes for things that you really want. You also might want to consider either moving to a safe house closer to town (assuming you can clear the zombies from that area), or just fortifying your starting shelter (board up the windows, dig pit traps, etc.)

After this, the world is your oyster. Pick a goal and go for it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Minor point that you need Fab 1 for wooden needles, so you need to spend a while sharpening sticks to get up to there.

Also, makeshift crowbar has been superceded a bit as the go-to starter weapon by the Cudgel; it looks like it's got poo poo for damage but it hits quickly, precisely, and pretty much stunlocks zombies while you chip away at them.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Minor point that you need Fab 1 for wooden needles, so you need to spend a while sharpening sticks to get up to there.

If you want to grind some skills and make good gear quickly and but don't have a lot of supplies or are not in a totally isolated/safe area, the time and materials for crafting can be significant.

Train Survival 1 by repeatedly crafting a sheet into a 'makeshift sling' and then (D)isassembling the sling back into a sheet, 2 minutes per cycle.
Train Survival 2 by crafting Digging Sticks (stick or 2x4) 20 minutes

Train Tailoring 1 by crafting a few rags into a 'hand wrap' or 'foot rags' and can be disassembled if you don't have a ton of rags 2 minutes per cycle and doesn't require a needle and doesn't consume thread.
Train Tailoring 2 by crafting Light Gloves (takes 3 rags, needle, 4 thread)
Train Tailoring 3 by crafting a balaclava (requires Survival1 and takes 4 rags, 3 thread, 5 minutes

Train Fabrication 1 by making fishing hooks, because that takes relatively little in-game time and only requires nails plus a rock or chunk of steel (from breaking a locker or shelf) takes 1 minute
Train Fabrication 2 by making knitting needles which takes 3 minutes and 2 skewers which you can get by cutting up a wooden object... such as a digging stick.
Train Fabrication 3 by making a distaff/spindle (2x4 or stick) takes 6 minutes

Fabrication is generally for making tools, weapons, and a crapload of handy things.

Some potentially very good things to craft:
Tailoring1+Survival1 lets you craft a balaclava, which is very good for keeping your head warm.
Tailoring2 lets you craft a duffel bag (good for storage, bad for combat)
Tailoring3 lets you make a hoodie and trenchcoat which both give good warmth and storage and you can wear one of each with zero encumberance

Survival1 lets you make a 'self bow' which is obviously a crappy bow that is basically useless, but if you want to start down the path to a world of pincushions... skip this anyway.
Fabrication3+Archery3 is the actual starting point for Archery since it lets you make arrows that aren't garbage... chicken-and-egg how to train Archery, except:
Fabrication2 lets you make a blowgun (takes darts which can be crafted at zero skill) which lets you train Archery until it's actually useful

A lot of crafts require Survival 1 or 2 for cooking/weapons/tools.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Also, makeshift crowbar has been superceded a bit as the go-to starter weapon by the Cudgel; it looks like it's got poo poo for damage but it hits quickly, precisely, and pretty much stunlocks zombies while you chip away at them.
The precision and attack speed make Cudgel probably the best thing against skeleton dogs, which are bothersome when you have no armor and low skills.

Cudgel does less damage per hit and attacks faster, which lets you train Melee skill and Bashing Weapons quickly... which is handy because Bashing2 (and Fabrication3) lets you craft a Quarterstaff which is fast and hits hard. Speaking of bashing weapons...

If you want a to break into (out of) some interesting places, need to have the right ID card (which can be hard to find) or hack a computer... or just (s)mash a wall. To break through a wooden wall, you need your strength (+ the 'bash' damage dmg value on the item description) more than 30. This lets you loot Gun Stores(!) and the locked room in a Doctor's Office, and enter (or exit!) a Lab and break into the CBM storage vaults inside a Lab Just be careful when demolishing walls and stand outside if possible because sometimes the roof can collapse.

Homewrecker has bash:28 and requires no skill to craft, just some long strings and 4 chunks of steel. To get the string, either tear down a lot of curtains or craft a Short Rope from 30 rags (requires Tailoring3) and disassemble it for 6 strings (do this twice because you need 8)

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 5, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I always use sewing needles on unimportant clothing like underwear, t-shirts or socks and whatnot to train up tailoring to 2 or 3. Worst case scenario, they get reinforced or destroyed before I skill up. Afterwards a duffel bag + Packrat means I have space for tons of stuff. For survival, if there are woods nearby, head there and search through bushes over and over until the skill gets to 2 or 3.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Is there a way to get the curtains from a window without either hamfistedly smashing it to pieces or disassembling it with a screwdriver?

mismatch tea
Nov 1, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Is there a way to get the curtains from a window without either hamfistedly smashing it to pieces or disassembling it with a screwdriver?

Close the curtains ('c') then examine the window ('e'). It should give you the option to tear down the curtains.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

What's the quickest way to level construction?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

chiefnewo posted:

If you take a look at the construction menu [*] you can look through available furniture for something whose difficulty is equal to your current construction. Go look for a piece of furniture at your level and deconstruct/reconstruct it to raise your level. You'll need to progress onto higher level furniture as you level up or else you won't get experience.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
starting guide: take all the points in dexterity and the ballroom dancer background because it gives you two levels in dodge (very hard skill to level from 0 and incredibly useful for survival). take fast learner if you want to cut grinding in half. kill some zombies to raise your skills and see if you find something useful like a runner pack or other 0 encumberment bag, a pair of boots is much more easy to find but also very useful, maybe some decent gloves. if you have to retreat to the shelter then take some drink with you and grind your tailoring until you can sleep. when you have tailoring at 2 or 3 you can start using it on good clothing you find to both fix them and grind your skill fairly safely( something complex and/or very damaged can break though).

Grind survival picking through bushes and you will also find eggs and other decent food stuffs. get a pair of gallon jugs so you can use a fire to clean water. look for vitamins and take them a few times per day so you avoid colds (they are really annoying but can be almost completely avoided this way)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So how deep does the endgame go at this point in development? I know labs and malls are pretty difficult, but is there any other kind of dungeon harder than that?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
labs are so hard i havent been to the bottom of them yet even with a character that can clear out a whole mall without taking any damage

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm in the process of picking through a lab right now. I don't know if it's always been like this, but the lab is freezing and I've had to take a full suite of winter gear and some specially adapted fur-lined combat gear and even electric thermal gear and I'm having to take breaks to warm up each time I leave with a fresh haul of loot.

Also, cube vans ftw. My modded cube van has a kitchen unit, a mini fridge and solar panels and its gradually filling up with goodies.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
New run/walk toggle + stamina meter in the latest experimental is pretty cool as is the ability to turn down NPC spawn frequency.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

If you have them, books. Comparing the skill gain by reading books to grinding by building/deconstructing things, books win hands down. They are unaffected by focus, don't cost any materials, and are almost always faster than the building/deconstructing cycle. If you don't have them, then like picroft said, it depends on your level. It also depends on what materials you have available. Often the slowest aspect of constructing is acquiring the materials.

0: Fastest way would be to dig (10m) and fill (5m) pits. However, the best would be deconstruct (20m). Unless you have another source of 2x4's and nails, you are going to do this a lot anyway
1: Fences (5m). When you build then destroy one, it usually only costs you 1-2 2x4's and a few nails. Turning trees into logs is more time consuming (20m), but it also creates materials for later, and if you have an area you want cleared anyway, it works out.
2: Wood walls (10m) are fast, but they can get expensive in therms of used up 2x4's if you don't actually need the wall there. Slower but cheaper would be chairs (20m). Slower still, but again making materials would be turning tree trunks into planks (23m)
3:Building and deconstructing wooden doors (15m) is going to be fastest. If you have excess wire, or have cleared out a building with chain link fencing around it, building wire fences is a little longer (20m) and cheaper
4:This won't get you all the way to five, but reinforcing all the boarded windows (10m) in your safehouse is something you probably want to do. Empty windows (10m) are fast, but expensive, cupboards (20m) are slower, but cheaper. Lockers (20m) can be build without 2x4's, if you have more metal scrap handy. If you are serious about building up your safehouse, palisade walls (20m) are available now.
5: build a window (5m) out of an empty window and a sheet of glass. I believe that this is free, as you get the sheet of glass back each time you disassemble the window.
6: Rope and pully system (5m)
7+ I think you only get one option each level after this: armor reinforce windows at 7, build metal door at 8, and dig a well at 9

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

PiCroft posted:

I'm in the process of picking through a lab right now. I don't know if it's always been like this, but the lab is freezing and I've had to take a full suite of winter gear and some specially adapted fur-lined combat gear and even electric thermal gear and I'm having to take breaks to warm up each time I leave with a fresh haul of loot.

Some labs are refrigerated and get colder as you go down which makes them an absolute nightmare to clear. I kinda like clearing those out just for the challenge of having to put together a dedicated outfit to maximize warmth.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
How are you guys getting recipes? I never seem to get new recipes when I skill up by training (or reading). The only way I seem to get new recipes if I get lucky with a relevant book that contains said recipe, and it seems like about 80% of the time, I fail to learn the recipe and can never learn from that book again, meaning that recipe is locked out for me forever (which is not very long, because I can't make new gear).

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You can still read to learn the recipes even if the book can't level you up.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Solid Poopsnake posted:

How are you guys getting recipes?I never seem to get new recipes when I skill up by training (or reading). The only way I seem to get new recipes if I get lucky with a relevant book that contains said recipe, and it seems like about 80% of the time, I fail to learn the recipe and can never learn from that book again, meaning that recipe is locked out for me forever.

Unless it's changed, you can still learn those recipes you either failed to memorize it, or just don't have the skills required for a particular recipe yet. Hang on to the books and try reading them again once you've built up some. But yeah, books are the only way to learn most recipes now.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
If you keep the book on hand or nearby you can use it as a reference when making something, so if a book has twenty useless recipes and one good one, you can just keep the book with you and attempt to make the recipe when your skill is high enough. You have a good chance of remembering the recipe through actual experience.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Thanks, guys!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

PiCroft posted:

Also, cube vans ftw. My modded cube van has a kitchen unit, a mini fridge and solar panels and its gradually filling up with goodies.

I'm using an APC. It's loving hysterical.

I ripped the spare seating out and slowly managed to mod it with a battering ram on the front to do pinpoint building breaches, a kitchen unit, a fridge and a recharger to keep my repair tools stocked up, storage, extra guns at every angle, and what I assume are a set of solar panels. Then because the actual ability to see out of it is poo poo, I hooked up a drive by wire and 360 camera control system in it and closed it off entirely from access outside of the back door.

I don't even live in a home anymore. I just wander the roads in my indestructible death mobile scavenging what I need where I need it. Which isn't much since I have a set of military grade armor and a high end rifle from raiding a lab. I just need to get trained up in the use of the gun now.

I do have a question though. Is there some way to keep NPC's you recruit from dying horribly in vehicles? I've gotten like four of them now and turning inevitably causes them to ram against the interior frame. This leads to them "falling out" of the APC and inevitably dying from ramming into the APC since they count as being "under" it. Does a seat belt help? I mean, it's hard enough to get them in a seat as it is. But I was wondering if that would fix the issue. Being able to set a guard on my vehicle or raid locations in a team would make it a lot easier.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Man, I just ran into a Triffid grove, a fungal spire, a strange temple, 2 LMOEs, a group of demons, and a military turret all within like 20 squares of my spawn. I don't think I've ever died this hard before.

Still not as bad as the spawn I had before the APC run. I stepped outside of the house I started in and a shocker brute was waiting right in front of the loving door along with a small army of zombies.

What the gently caress, game? I guess this character is the game trying to apologize for that bullshit.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 5, 2015

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Archonex posted:

I'm using an APC. It's loving hysterical.

I ripped the spare seating out and slowly managed to mod it with a battering ram on the front to do pinpoint building breaches, a kitchen unit, a fridge and a recharger to keep my repair tools stocked up, storage, extra guns at every angle, and what I assume are a set of solar panels. Then because the actual ability to see out of it is poo poo, I hooked up a drive by wire and 360 camera control system in it and closed it off entirely from access outside of the back door.

I don't even live in a home anymore. I just wander the roads in my indestructible death mobile scavenging what I need where I need it. Which isn't much since I have a set of military grade armor and a high end rifle from raiding a lab. I just need to get trained up in the use of the gun now.

I do have a question though. Is there some way to keep NPC's you recruit from dying horribly in vehicles? I've gotten like four of them now and turning inevitably causes them to ram against the interior frame. This leads to them "falling out" of the APC and inevitably dying from ramming into the APC since they count as being "under" it. Does a seat belt help? I mean, it's hard enough to get them in a seat as it is. But I was wondering if that would fix the issue. Being able to set a guard on my vehicle or raid locations in a team would make it a lot easier.

Still not as bad as the spawn I had before the APC run. I stepped outside of the house I started in and a shocker brute was waiting right in front of the loving door along with a small army of zombies.

What the gently caress, game? I guess this character is the game trying to apologize for that bullshit.

I actually found an apc outside a bunker. It's a fair distance from my home but once I get back with a supply of deisel....

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I have a question about vacutainers. I know they are used to draw blood, but I don't really know why I would want to. Is there a recipe that requires blood?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

PiCroft posted:

I have a question about vacutainers. I know they are used to draw blood, but I don't really know why I would want to. Is there a recipe that requires blood?

A few quests call for zombie blood analysis and if there's something wrong with you then you can analyze your own blood in a hospital centrifuge to find out what ails you.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What's the general opinion on the various martial arts? Anyone have personal favorites? Is there one that is generally considered more useful than the others?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's content 100% done by weeaboos, so have guess which is the best martial art. I'll give you a clue, it begins with nin and ends in jitsu.

Boxing was actually pretty cool for a while, I think they nerfed it though.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 6, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

tooterfish posted:

It's content 100% done by weeaboos, so have guess which is the best martial art. I'll give you a clue, it begins with nin and ends in jitsu.

Boxing was actually pretty cool for a while, I think they nerfed it though.
Krav maga is actually by far the best. Ninjitsu...isn't that the one whose main benefit is just that it has silent attacks?

edit: I guess you can use ninjitsu with melee weapons, though. That's useful.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ninjitsu gets huge critical hit damage bonuses on precise strike (200% cutting, 140% bashing), which also happens to work with weapons. Since precise strike procs nearly 100% of the time, it means you can one shot pretty much anything (quietly!).

It works with any weapon really, but especially well with a katana (what else?).

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Thanks for the construction tips!

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
I'm partial to Taekwondo. Stunlock your foes? Check. Arm+Leg blocks? Check. Bigass hunk of damage reduction on a block? Check Check Check.

It's pretty hard to take damage in melee with Taekwondo. Once you're up to about 6/6 in melee/unarmed you can go 1 on 1 with a zombie hulk without all that much worry.

Also I'm not entirely certain how exactly this works but I was once had both of my arms broken but suffered no drop off in combat which I think is because taekwondo is all kicks. It's a marginal thing but if you huff a buncha spores and can't find antifungals it's nice.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You're all wrong. The best martial arts is Fencing with full ornamental plate armor and a diamond broadsword. Jeeze.

edit: Although seriously it is. You get free blocks that turn into attacks, which makes being swarmed a lot less of a problem.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
For people looking for something to do post-lab, there's also mines and temples, though I don't know if they've gotten any love for a while.

Also, I know people are always getting down on skills during character creation, but frankly the first few days are the hardest and if you're having trouble surviving them picking a few to get you started is not really a bad idea at all.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think I'll probably go with Taekwondo. A more defensive style seems like it would be a little more useful in the long run since I'm running a black belt character and already have enough unarmed skill to do good damage no matter the style.

So what kind of outfits are you guys usually running? I usually just beeline for some heavy armor and a duffel bag on my ranged characters, but now that I'm using an unarmed character I've enjoyed actually having to put some thought into balancing encumbrance, storage, and warmth. I've been really lucky with the loot on this world because I managed to find chainmail sleeves and leggings which can provide great defenses and be fitted, plus a survivor runner pack off a survivor zombie which gives decent storage for almost no encumbrance.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

So what kind of outfits are you guys usually running?

(No, not really, I just put that together for the OP of the LP I'm putting together)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Now that's a proper outfit right there. I'm looking forward to seeing that lp!

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I have a question on installing solar panels - I've installed some solar panels on an armoured car, and Ive noticed that the solar panels appear on underneath my character on the floor when I'm inside the car. I've installed them on the roof of the car and the car is charging (I also have solar panels on the outer edge of the car) but I wanted to check to see if this is just a strange visual glitch or if the solar panels on the middle of my car are installed on the floor and thus not doing their job.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I just got the latest experimental graphics version, and im really digging the Lttp-esque tileset

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

PiCroft posted:

I have a question on installing solar panels - I've installed some solar panels on an armoured car, and Ive noticed that the solar panels appear on underneath my character on the floor when I'm inside the car. I've installed them on the roof of the car and the car is charging (I also have solar panels on the outer edge of the car) but I wanted to check to see if this is just a strange visual glitch or if the solar panels on the middle of my car are installed on the floor and thus not doing their job.

Pretty sure its just a visual glitch, I think the game thinks you're viewing the car from the outside even though you're "inside" it. I recall it happening when I was stepping on parts of my deathbus that had only a frame, roof, and solar panel, and not those that also had an aisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Rrussom posted:

I just got the latest experimental graphics version, and im really digging the Lttp-esque tileset
Speaking of experimentals, the addition of morale boosting instruments is really cool (luring zombies to their deaths with your sweet acoustic guitar playing :black101:), but the spawn density of music stores is way too drat high.