Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

If you liked Saku in Pride, I can't honestly recommend many of his post-Pride performances. He was injured and old and kept going long past the point where he should have stopped.

there's kiiiind of the Zelg Galesic fight and absolutely nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I don't really want anyone to watch Sakuraba/Zaromskis because I'm not an inhuman monster but I cannot help feeling there's no better encapsulation of the death spiral of MMA in Japan than an aging hero far past his prime being assaulted until parts of his body fall off

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah sakuraba's career goes from heroic to tragic pretty badly toward the end.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Well then.

Thanks!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Was he as good as I thought he was early on? What happened, there? He went from some really impressive performances to being, well, old and hurt. Not really his fault, but I hate to see fighters end up like that. Really glad he's able to do the wrestling thing, at least. I'd be fine if he never did another grappling tournament, but I am still glad he's able to do that kind of thing, too, even if it's not to his capability. I still remember how damned cool it was watching him pass guard with a cartwheel one time. Or watching him soccer kick the poo poo out of some legs when he didn't want a grappler on the ground for a while. I seem to remember that being around the first time folks thought to really do that, just make 'em stand up and punish them for refusing to do so.

It sucks to see a creative, clever fighter end up old, but it happens to everyone sooner or later I guess.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
He was one of the best fighters in the world in his prime, but then a new generation of better fighters showed up and took absurd amounts of famage.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Agreed posted:

Was he as good as I thought he was early on? What happened, there? He went from some really impressive performances to being, well, old and hurt. Not really his fault, but I hate to see fighters end up like that. Really glad he's able to do the wrestling thing, at least. I'd be fine if he never did another grappling tournament, but I am still glad he's able to do that kind of thing, too, even if it's not to his capability. I still remember how damned cool it was watching him pass guard with a cartwheel one time. Or watching him soccer kick the poo poo out of some legs when he didn't want a grappler on the ground for a while. I seem to remember that being around the first time folks thought to really do that, just make 'em stand up and punish them for refusing to do so.

It sucks to see a creative, clever fighter end up old, but it happens to everyone sooner or later I guess.

Sakuraba was a freak talent; he became a grappling genius training largely with scrubs and was able to come up with great gameplans both going into a match and on the fly in the ring. But he got started in mma comparatively late in life, with a ton of wear-and-tear on his body from pro-wrestling, which wasn't helped by A) PRIDE constantly tossing him in against much larger fighters to fit their classic "Underdog outmatched Japanese wins through GRIT and BURNING SPIRIT" and B) him being a functional alcoholic and heavy smoker.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

fatherdog posted:

B) him being a functional alcoholic and heavy smoker.

What adult male in Japan isn't?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

Sakuraba was a freak talent; he became a grappling genius training largely with scrubs and was able to come up with great gameplans both going into a match and on the fly in the ring. But he got started in mma comparatively late in life, with a ton of wear-and-tear on his body from pro-wrestling, which wasn't helped by A) PRIDE constantly tossing him in against much larger fighters to fit their classic "Underdog outmatched Japanese wins through GRIT and BURNING SPIRIT" and B) him being a functional alcoholic and heavy smoker.

Plus he couldnt strike like at all

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bundt Cake posted:

How dare you demean the double Mongolian chop

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bundt Cake posted:

Except against Vitor.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bundt Cake posted:

Well, he kicked Royce's leg out of his leg.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Memento posted:

Well, he kicked Royce's leg out of his leg.

I'm glad I'm not the only one still using that phrase :)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

What adult male in Japan isn't?

Nobutatsu Suzuki. :colbert:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I have a confession to make about my burgeoning interest in MMA around 2003. Me and a bunch of friends were watching a match that I can't recall if it was in an octagon or ring but it was two asian guys fightings. We had the fights DVRed, which was still pretty cutting edge at the time. One of the fighters was in an Orange speedo type trunks and started wailing on his opponent. All my friends and I freaked out and then paused the fight because we thought the announcer (could have been Mauro Ranallo (douche bad with a centimeter pole he talked about, I forget how to spell his name) or Rogan said something really racist and died laughing.

We thought, as the asian orange speedo trunks guy was tee'ing off on his opponent, the announcer yelled, "HE IS THROWING BIG RICE!"

After rewinding the DVRed recorded a bunch and we figured out he said, "HE IS THROWING BIG RIGHTS!" (right hands)

Any idea what this fight in that time frame could of been? My friends always wanted to know which fight it was because, "Throwing big rice" became kind of a joke amongst us for when you put a beat down on someone.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Log posted:

I have a confession to make about my burgeoning interest in MMA around 2003. Me and a bunch of friends were watching a match that I can't recall if it was in an octagon or ring but it was two asian guys fightings. We had the fights DVRed, which was still pretty cutting edge at the time. One of the fighters was in an Orange speedo type trunks and started wailing on his opponent. All my friends and I freaked out and then paused the fight because we thought the announcer (could have been Mauro Ranallo (douche bad with a centimeter pole he talked about, I forget how to spell his name) or Rogan said something really racist and died laughing.

We thought, as the asian orange speedo trunks guy was tee'ing off on his opponent, the announcer yelled, "HE IS THROWING BIG RICE!"

After rewinding the DVRed recorded a bunch and we figured out he said, "HE IS THROWING BIG RIGHTS!" (right hands)

Any idea what this fight in that time frame could of been? My friends always wanted to know which fight it was because, "Throwing big rice" became kind of a joke amongst us for when you put a beat down on someone.

Sounds like Kazushi Sakuraba. That should narrow down your search terms. I can't any matches of his where he actually threw good punches though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Memento posted:

Sounds like Kazushi Sakuraba. That should narrow down your search terms. I can't any matches of his where he actually threw good punches though.

Possibly the guy with the orange speedo trunks was getting his rear end beat as well. Were the orange speedo trunks a Sakuraba thing? My friends would poo poo if I found that fight.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Captain Log posted:

mnowa v baroni

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Bundt Cake posted:

mnowa v baroni

Oh God this could be it. Now to search for an unedited broadcast version and listen to the commentary.

Bundt, you may be a God amongst men.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Is there a fight funnier than Jon Hess talking up his SAFTA mastery and complete knowledge of combat and then throwing eye gouges and ridiculous baby hammerfists? I know somewhere out there there is a bigger, even more baby-esque goof than Hess. What is the funniest fight you know of? Kimbo and Alexander politely agreeing to just wheeze at each other after the first round would also have to be up there.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Is there a fight funnier than Jon Hess talking up his SAFTA mastery and complete knowledge of combat and then throwing eye gouges and ridiculous baby hammerfists? I know somewhere out there there is a bigger, even more baby-esque goof than Hess. What is the funniest fight you know of? Kimbo and Alexander politely agreeing to just wheeze at each other after the first round would also have to be up there.

moti horenstein vs mark coleman
moti horenstein vs mark kerr

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

david carmichael posted:

moti horenstein vs mark coleman
moti horenstein vs mark kerr

He teaches krav maga in New York

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That TKD guy fighting Travis Fulton

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Gregor Samsa posted:

He teaches krav maga in New York

he also held the world record for the most baseball bats snapped with kicks in 60 seconds until K-1 ref Nobuaki Kakuda took it from him

projecthalaxy posted:

I feel like the Jon Hess story is incomplete unless you include him getting beaten to death by Vitor and then Andy Anderson posting "SAFTA stands for Stick A loving Thumb Anywhere" on the ug many years after the fact

I can't think of any whole fights that are funny off the top of my head (maybe Fabio Maldonado getting the world's longest bodyshot TKO on James McSweeney?), but the following moments will stay with me always:

"hello japan"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNs-hQmeKa8

any and every time Aoki's gotten KO'd, and the time George Sotiropolous kicked him in the balls on purpose

this whole fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I61SLvUNo34&t=210s

a long awaited Shooto title fight (that managed to get made even though Pride was on the scene, both guys were fighting for them, and offering infinitely bigger paydays) ending immediately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CKbxvSkmjw&t=70s

Minowa KOing Sokoudjou and hip tossing Zulu

And then there's stuff like Bob Sapp getting set up to lose to a literal cartoon character and knocking him out instead, but that seems too easy

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Aoki vs Nagashima is hilarious.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

oh man I forgot that, that's definitely the top answer

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
silva/yvel
kongo/yvel with the black and white and french music

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

oh man I forgot that, that's definitely the top answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I just watched this, having forgotten all about it. In addition to all the other amazingness, one of Aoki's corners is wearing a WWII style army helmet because ??? But yeah Aoki getting flash kneed by a cosplayer is at least as hilarious as the World's Largest Baby.

1st AD posted:

That TKD guy fighting Travis Fulton

That's more soul-crushingly tragic really. That dude didn't need to die so Fulton could go 401-0 or whatever.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
If we're just doing Moments then

And where's that gif of those two guys on a UFC prelim, where they are both on their backs throwing just the worst punches ever at each other?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think it was the first TUF Brazil finale (an actual PPV), and both guys were punching each other from 50/50 guard

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Chexoid posted:

If we're just doing Moments then

And where's that gif of those two guys on a UFC prelim, where they are both on their backs throwing just the worst punches ever at each other?

did the guy in black here die

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

1st AD posted:

I think it was the first TUF Brazil finale (an actual PPV), and both guys were punching each other from 50/50 guard

http://giant.gfycat.com/AggressiveFlickeringButterfly.gif

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nate Diaz v Ben Henderson was pretty funny, if for nothing else at one point Nate Diaz chooses to counter Bendo by flipping him off.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

that completely sums up that card

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

kongo/yvel with the black and white and french music

I'm so mad this appears to no longer be on the internet anywhere

Also Herring/Kongo is a pretty funny fight

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Nothing tops Andy Anderson vs Jon Hess for me.

A chubby pumpkin-headed midget with a ginger pedo moustache (billed as 86-0 in bare knuckle underground challenge matches with all wins by KO) and an unathletic 300lb man flailing at each other like toddlers for 90 seconds.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Pocket Billiards posted:

Nothing tops Andy Anderson vs Jon Hess for me.

A chubby pumpkin-headed midget with a ginger pedo moustache (billed as 86-0 in bare knuckle underground challenge matches with all wins by KO) and an unathletic 300lb man flailing at each other like toddlers for 90 seconds.

Didn't Houston Alexander claim to have 250+ amateur wins in backyard fights? I just remember from some pre-fight hype video Dana said he was super-dangerous despite being 0-0 professionally because he had a ton of knockouts in underground promotions.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

A strangely prophetic gfycat URL

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Pudzianowski vs Sylvia was hilarious because pudz tapped to being very tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Watching this live was amazing.

I'll never forget what Dunc said, which was something like, "This isn't a knock out. This is a picture of Keith Jardine fighting a man."