Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That makes sense. It's a shame, though. :(

Also, belated congratulations on clearing the main game, Dr. Fetus. I intended to save my comment for the end of the LP, but now's a good time as any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Getting a capture card requires you sending your 3DS to a guy in America and him installing it. It's only $250.

He's also working on 2DS and 3DSXL ones, but it takes time. He also gets capture boards infrequently and is currently sold out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

: Your mission is to find a way onto those islands and retrieve a certain sword. Alas, not even this winged one knew what the sword looks like. But once you have it, you can supposedly gain total control over the Labyrinth.

I'm assuming this is that ridiculously overpowered sword that gives 999 TP in EO2U?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Just got my EOU1 and 2 artbook in the mail, and holy crap, this thing is huge. Nearly 400 pages of illustrations, concept art, interviws and comics.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm assuming this is that ridiculously overpowered sword that gives 999 TP in EO2U?

Nope! In EO2's case it's the sword of the set of weapons with high attack power, no stats, and no gear log entry.

The broken sword in EO2U, if you mean Ragnarok (I think that's the name) is obtained immediately after killing the DLC super-superboss.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

AHAHAHAHAHA

The artbook has a comic on page 384 showing Olympia standing over the unconscious (?) body of the Fafnir knight.

EO3U confirmed

Edit: actually, hold that, the whole book has people alluding to stuff happening in Armoroad and people heading there.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 5, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA

The artbook has a comic on page 384 showing Olympia standing over the unconscious (?) body of the Fafnir knight.

EO3U confirmed

It makes sense! Fafnir's party is wiped out by Olympia, and Ricky is the only one left alive after the Highlander party is butchered by the ant queen!

Wait. poo poo. That's not good at all. :smith:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Hivac posted:

It makes sense! Fafnir's party is wiped out by Olympia, and Ricky is the only one left alive after the Highlander party is butchered by the ant queen!

Wait. poo poo. That's not good at all. :smith:

That begs the question, What would Ricky/Highlander's party be anyways? Midgard team went back to the library in EOU's ending. Hoplite/Zodiac/Glasses Monk?

I am interested to see how they handle that though. It can't be a coincidence.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Trained up a Zodiac and Narmer went down easily. :toot:

I noticed head binding him made spells do more damage. Is that a TEC lowering thing?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hivac posted:

Nope! In EO2's case it's the sword of the set of weapons with high attack power, no stats, and no gear log entry.

The broken sword in EO2U, if you mean Ragnarok (I think that's the name) is obtained immediately after killing the DLC super-superboss.

Actually, it's from killing the DLC superboss on Expert. So by the time you get it, you don't need it anymore unless that was somehow the first thing you went for.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Trained up a Zodiac and Narmer went down easily. :toot:

I noticed head binding him made spells do more damage. Is that a TEC lowering thing?

Head binds lower TEC. On that note, Arm binds lower STR, and leg binds completely kill evasion. So do Paralysis and Sleep, although the latter's not new.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

This was a straight out damage race. Iwa hits like a tank on steroids, and it was impossible to fight him defensively at all. So I retired my characters to get a bit of an extra edge, and then just never stopped attacking except to toss out Medica IIIs, Somaprimes, or curses.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

theshim posted:

Game beaten. Party levels 53-55. Longer post later. Probably five fortresses next. Please send help.
Okay, some thoughts here on the five Arcanist run:

- Poison is your best damage dealer for most of the game, sadly. This is most problematic because it does 300 per turn at max and sometimes wears off after two hits, so it makes bosses...problematic.
- Berserker King was probably the hardest boss overall, as poison needed to tick a lot of times and the only other damage you can do is with noodlearm rapier attacks and the Lightning Ring.
- Hollow Queen, needless to say, was the easiest. The only boss you can reliably land ailments and binds on multiple times without Releasal Spell.
- Subclasses are somewhat helpful, although as expected the two most important members were the R and B sub.
- Boiling Lizard can be dealt with using Glacier Rune and Dismiss Blow, as well as Kibagami's not inconsiderable damage output.
- Fourth maze is a huge pain in the rear end as there are multiple enemy types - as well as all FOEs - that are immune to poison. Logre at least wasn't too tough, as Arm Bind decided to stick for a while.
- Cradle Guardian was pretty easy thanks to Logre's damage output and being able to Runic Gleam and hit weaknesses.
- The Zeus' Wrath limit was one of my best damage dealers with proper setup (Runic Gleam, Volt Rune, Atrophic Eye).
- Heavenbringer was interesting largely because I could keep the various parts bound on and off as the fight went on but for a lot of it I had it disabled. Of course, I foolishly though I could survive and didn't have my back row defend against the charge up move and that killed all three of them (though the Bushi sub had Endure kick in). I ran pretty low on resources but was also able to head bind the Bared Essence, so it went down pretty hard.
- Most important skills were Poison, Nerve (as a backup), Chain, Snare and Hood Circles for most of my party, and the Bushi sub was probably ahead of the Runemaster for total damage output thanks to Blood Surge and Dismiss Blast, which did upwards of 600 damage to all enemies. Solid enough for clearing trash, but boss fights ended up being slogs a lot of the time. On the plus side, the passive healing from the Circles, while never huge, was still quite effective at keeping the party largely healthy, Dismiss Heal was a guaranteed full heal to everyone all game long, and having Bracing Walk from the word go is hilariously helpful.

Overall, I actually wouldn't be surprised if 5 Arcanists ends up being the most difficult SCC in the end (not counting 5 Imperials, because nope). Most SCCs have the issue where the early game is painful but it gets easier as you reach the milestones of unlocking skills and subclassing. Arcanists, though...they're basically at their peak in terms of damage around level 10 or so, and then the rest of the game catches up with and blows past what you can easily deal with. Unlike the other squishy or support oriented classes, Arcanists have neither the damage or survivability to keep themselves viable later on, and the end run is actually a real pain in the rear end, though at least they have the plus of being well equipped to deal with the Heavenbringer itself.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'd like to believe all five of them using party shield at once would result in a game of leap frog until the enemy accidentally hit someone.
At one point I shall have to test this :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Now do the postgame. :unsmigghh:

I wanna try out 5 Imperials (with Drive Blades) just to see how stupid that can get. That said, I imagine there might be a snag at the Hollow Queen since Wufan is your only way of inflicting disables, and Imperials don't have that great an AGI stat.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

I wanna try out 5 Imperials (with Drive Blades) just to see how stupid that can get. That said, I imagine there might be a snag at the Hollow Queen since Wufan is your only way of inflicting disables, and Imperials don't have that great an AGI stat.

I feel like they should be able to take her out before the first leg bind wears off though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

SO will we be discussing Mystery Dungeon here or in a dedicated roguelike thread I don't know about?

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Pureauthor posted:

SO will we be discussing Mystery Dungeon here or in a dedicated roguelike thread I don't know about?

im hype as hell for mystery dungeon because I love MD series but i really don't care for EO :shobon:

i've been playing Shiren the Wanderer again in preparation

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Beheading Cut, Beheading Cut, Beheading Cut, Beheading Cut, Beheading Cut, Beheading Cut, Beheading Cut, Beheading Cut...

I was dreading this one. The first phase of the fight relied on Ren preferring to use normal attacks and/or missing, to minimise my chances of instantly dying, as well as praying Tlachtga wouldn't spam her Sapping or Abdomen Curses and utterly cripple my offenses. I had to land a leg bind on Ren before she could get Slantwise Cut off, since with two party members, it was guaranteed death at anything less than full health, and from that point I had to burst down her HP as much as I could in one turn so she couldn't cast Breath. Once she was down I had to play status roulette with Tlachtga, keeping her health above half until I was in a situation where I could use a boosted/Bravant Swallow Strike, since there was no way I was taking a Revenge Curse to the face and living through it. If I hadn't taken her down with that last ditch Swallow Strike, I'd have lost.

On the bright side, that means I only have one boss left to deal with! ...Hell if I know how I'm going to pull it off, though. Also, I'm still unreasonably mad over the fact that Ronin Armor gives you an armour piece that Ronins can't use.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 6, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

a) no
b) already restarted with 5 fortresses
c) no

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I don't know if they'll say this in game, but just in case they don't, every single party member you create will get exp, even the ones you don't take into the mystery dungeons. So you'll probably want to create some classes for a secondary team or something, because the game is actually kind of balanced around that with the DOE fortresses and the rescue teams. That said, you're limited in guild slots until you progress further into the game.

Oh, and I looked around, it doesn't seem like anyone's figured out the exact returns on any of the skills, so we're all going into this one blind!

As a nice little reminder, this game does not come with the Atlus tax. It'll be $40 like a normal 3DS game.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Any chance we can get your in-depth opinion on the mystery dungeon spinoff, Dr Fetus? I'm hesitating on it because of the idea of letting the AI handle your teammates sounds like a really bad thing in Etrian Odyssey.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I don't have the game yet, though some people have gotten early copies.

Some tips based on what I've seen. Avoid hallways as much as possible. The AI goes completely braindead while you're in them. You can control your whole party in boss fights, but only boss fights.

Oh, and the Sovereign class is bugged. Horribly. Both in the bad way and the good game breaking way. The bad way is that they have a very bad habit of dodging their own buffs. This is very bad because it means that they can't proc Nobility Proof, which means that they'll run out of TP fast. The good way is that (This horribly vaporizes the game's difficulty. You have been warned) their elemental arms skills temporarily increases their target's STR by 3. You have no reason to do this normally, but you can cast it on the same target multiple times to give them more strength. Now when the buff runs out, the bonus strength is supposed to go away. What actually happens is that the character you've stacked the buffs on loses 3 points of strength. As for the rest of the bonus strength? It's permanent. So if you cast it on a target 10 times to give them 30 STR, when the buff runs out, they'll permanently gain 27 extra points of strength. :downsbravo: It just wouldn't be an EO game without a skill not working right. Although this is EOU's duplication glitch levels of bad. And yes, this is in the NA version. Both these glitches somehow got missed in the JP version. They might get fixed for EU, so who knows.

Oh, and inspire is mistranslated. It works on debuffs, not buffs like the in game description says.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well if there're stat books in the game I was gonna get everyone to 99 in everything anyway...

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Aren't braindead AI partners and bizarre bugs cornerstones of Mystery Dungeon anyway? My only MD experience was the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon almost 9 years ago, but I vaguely remember the AI there being really, really dumb (which sucked because if your story partner died it meant you got warped out of the dungeon immediately) and there being some really weird bugs--couldn't tell you the specifics but I remember there being a few.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, and the Sovereign class is bugged. Horribly.
Oh Atlus :allears:

I'm probably going to end up grabbing this at some point. Never played any of the PMDs but I'm a roguelike fan in general so I'll probably be equal parts entertained and enraged by this!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, and the Sovereign class is bugged. Horribly.

Ahahahaha holy poo poo this is the best

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The second bug is interesting because it seems like the exact thing you'd overlook when testing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just bought this while I was at my local street breaking store. I suppose I should try not to use that class then?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Both these glitches somehow got missed in the JP version. They might get fixed for EU, so who knows.

After reading your LP, I'm pretty sure bugs are just Etrian Odyssey gameplay features.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Aren't braindead AI partners and bizarre bugs cornerstones of Mystery Dungeon anyway? My only MD experience was the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon almost 9 years ago, but I vaguely remember the AI there being really, really dumb (which sucked because if your story partner died it meant you got warped out of the dungeon immediately) and there being some really weird bugs--couldn't tell you the specifics but I remember there being a few.

Yeah they're pretty bad. At least you could feed them Gummi's to increase their IQ so that they, oh I dunno, didn't hit you with moves, or didn't spam status effects when they've already landed, or walking on clearly visible trap tiles and other such fun things. Best way to handle it is to turn off all of their non attacking moves otherwise they'll spam them constantly if they so much as think there's an enemy nearby and have them just follow you while you kill everything.

So playing this game will be a barrel of fun, but at least the EU version is delayed to fix all these broken bugs.

Riiiiiiight?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I just bought this while I was at my local street breaking store. I suppose I should try not to use that class then?

Don't worry, they're still usable, but that just makes them a bit inconvenient to use.

Destructoid has a review for the game. And here's another. The embargo is up today, so there should be more reviews coming later.

Oh, and save scumming is not a thing you can do, so you have to live with the consequences of every mistake you make.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I...I'm so torn. Sovereign is my favourite EO class what do.

What are the odds of them releasing a patch for these bugs?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Those reviews actually make the game sound somewhat more appealing - at least more so than the dull Pokemon one I tried a demo for.

I'm just not sure I'd like the randomly generated floors when good map design is probably my favorite part of the EO series.

I wish there was a demo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Reviews are up on Metacritic. Seems to have a fairly decent reception so far.

Ah yes, a small correction to an earlier statement. Excess party members only gain exp if they're put into a fortress. Being left behind does not do anything for them.

SC Bracer posted:

I...I'm so torn. Sovereign is my favourite EO class what do.

What are the odds of them releasing a patch for these bugs?

The buff dodging bug doesn't destroy the class, but it makes them harder to use. As for the chances of fixing these bugs? Zero. They didn't release a patch for EO4, EOU, PQ, or EO2U, so those are pretty much staying in.

Oh yes, and apparently they are working on an EU release, but I have no idea when they're making that announcement.

Regy Rusty posted:

Those reviews actually make the game sound somewhat more appealing - at least more so than the dull Pokemon one I tried a demo for.

I'm just not sure I'd like the randomly generated floors when good map design is probably my favorite part of the EO series.

I wish there was a demo.

The problem with all the PMD games, (especially Gates to Infinity, since that got rid of a crucial mechanic that makes the game more difficult), is that they're all too easy. The games are all marketed for children, so there's no tension at all when playing those games, which makes them boring slogs. Now Shiren the Wanderer, which is the original (well technically 2nd) mystery dungeon game, is very hard and is more like a Roguelike. From what I've heard, EMD is a bit closer to Shiren in difficulty, but not as difficult. Though it is definitely harder than PMD. I'm not sure if that is your actual problem with them, but Mystery Dungeon games play a lot differently than an EO game, so this might not appeal to you at all.

Now if any of you didn't like the gameplay in PMD because it was boring (Not because it didn't click with you or something like that), then don't abuse the Sovereign glitch. Otherwise you'll just ruin the game for yourself.

Oh yes, and the reset to level 1 dungeons with no outside items or equipment allowed are in this game. :getin:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 6, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

Looks like the preliminary reactions place it about on par with PQ - which, while it had its share of baffling design decisions and issues - was still pretty fun.

Gonna have to grab it.

e:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh yes, and the reset to level 1 dungeons with no outside items or equipment allowed are in this game. :getin:
:unsmigghh:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

My copy arrived in the mail already. Gonna play a bit and might do up a trip report about it when I get back from class tonight.

Gonna have to stock up on amritas because I really wanted to run a princess. If Nobility Proof works like it does in EO3 I might just run two instead any have them heal eachothers TP.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dr. Fetus posted:

Reviews are up on Metacritic. Seems to have a fairly decent reception so far.

Ah yes, a small correction to an earlier statement. Excess party members only gain exp if they're put into a fortress. Being left behind does not do anything for them.

I played the first real dungeon yesterday, and they do gain experience if not in a Fort, just at a reduced rate than if they were in one.

I am refusing to read what that game breaking thing for Sovereign is, but is it easy to trigger if you don't know about it?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ah, okay then.

Also, a little warning. You only get one save file. Sorry guys.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am refusing to read what that game breaking thing for Sovereign is, but is it easy to trigger if you don't know about it?

It's something that you're very unlikely to do normally, so not really.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I officially gave up on my 5 Dancers run. If anyone wants to attempt it, the only advice I can give after running like a headless chicken in the first labyrinth:
1) Only get the weapons with slots and forge like crazy
Having weapons with arm bind forges is really REALLY helpful. Specially once you fight the Blood Bear in floor 2/3 and the Berserker King. When you start seeing the scorpions, you'll only scratch them unless you forged weapons with fire affinity. If they are on the back row focus on them because they won't attack from that line.

2) If you're hit you're dead.
If their portraits are ANY indication, they'll die quickly. Not as much as noodle arms, but they'll die a lot. Counter Samba is not great. Actually it sucks in a full dancer, just level it to unlock Chase Samba. The counter-attack only activates if the attack actually hits, which is something you don't want. Fan Dance on the other hand is the reason you should be alive in the most dire situations.

3) Keep on dancing.
This was the second formation I used
[2 front / 3 back]
The two at the front should be the dodge tanks, at least hoping the enemy targets the front row. Both of them should have Regen Waltz, it doesn't stack but you should alternate to not burn the TP of the only one in charge of healing. The back row should use bows. One should keep Regen Waltz just for emergencies, but the other two should focus on Attack-Guard Tango.

And this was my main one
[3 front / 2 back]
One should have Regen Waltz and Counter Samba, the other two must focus on Chase Samba. Depending on the enemy, they should focus on either arm binds, blind or both if you're desperate. The back row skill points were more spread but they did their job as back-up dancers with Regen Waltz, Attack Tango and Guard Tango (not enough points for Fan Dance)
In case the healer in the front row was badly damaged, or ran out of TP, you should swap it with a back-up dancer. Now, since that back don't have Fan Dance, you can actually use Counter Samba to chase the counters (but still, not recommended).

I doubt this advice can be useful, after all this SCC just broke me.

theshim posted:

a) no
b) already restarted with 5 fortresses
c) no
Why don't you try it after your tank run? :v:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Honestly dancers seem like they'd be fine once you get stun forges and unlock subclasses. You'd just have your front row dancers keeping everything permastunned for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

And that's the end of that. It was actually relatively easy, since boosted Defend almost completely nullifies Tempest, meaning the only really nasty attack to watch out for was Root Cyclone. Did find some weird interactions with Sapping Curse where it would apply before Root Cyclone came out, but not actually do anything before I took a 390 damage attack to the face, though.

• Locked thread