Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This was pretty loving awesome I think. I loved everything about it, especially the soundtrack. Also I really loved the characters too very believable especially Paul who I just felt so bad for the entire movie (until the end at least). Seriously who hasn't been that awkward guy before you know? The movie nailed it, I was in constant dread the entire time and jumped a few times too. Good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

K. Waste posted:

*The same sex-negative subtext already exists with her potentially having sex with the three guys are the boat. Jay gives up her dignity and jeopardizes others in a desperate bid to avoid confronting the source of her trauma.

I'd just like to say at this juncture that I really do appreciate the decision by the director to leave the spoilered part of this post ambiguous. It strikes me as a deliberate decision because, when you get right down to it, it doesn't actually matter if Jay went through with sexing the boat guys or not, because either way, it's pretty loving traumatic. If she did go through with it, she has to deal with giving up her dignity and getting three strangers killed just to buy a few days of rest... and if she doesn't, she has to deal with the shame that she's willing to sacrifice other people for her own survival, and even got as far as getting in the water before having second thoughts. Either way, her innocence is destroyed, and there's no going back (represented by the hole in her backyard pool); a lesser director might have confirmed it one way or the other, but that would take away from the entire theme of the piece. The horror of this story is not found in any bad choices the characters might make, but that the reality of the Follower makes such choices necessary.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

There's some clear vagina symbolism in the one girls prominently shown clam phone, but I don't really see the point.

Also it looks exactly like a birth control case.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It Follows was only down 35% in its second weekend at the box office. This might have some decent legs.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I watched it again yesterday - it was obviously less intense on second viewing, but still pretty drat good. It's funny how much work the score alone does for scaring the audience.

Also noticed what's on the roof in that one scene - Grandpa

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
He died and is in heaven, there are men above and below.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I watched it again yesterday - it was obviously less intense on second viewing, but still pretty drat good. It's funny how much work the score alone does for scaring the audience.

Weird, I think that's the only scene where it's not constantly moving toward Jay besides the pool but just kind of watching ominously.

I honestly can't tell if that terrifies me more or less.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

speshl guy posted:

Weird, I think that's the only scene where it's not constantly moving toward Jay besides the pool but just kind of watching ominously.

I honestly can't tell if that terrifies me more or less.

I viewed that as confirmation that she *did* buy some time, possibly by having sex with those boat guys. Remember what Hugh said, it may not always follow you, but you can always see it.

Another thing to add to the weird timelessness of the film: What loving season is it? Is it late summer? Early spring? Why is there a scene when she and her sister are walking around and one is wearing a winter coat and the other is wearing summer wear? The whole unfixed, unfamiliar aspect of this slightly off world only adds to how scary and otherworldy it seems.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I thought it was pretty clearly autumn, or at least took place from late summer to autumn. School's in session, leaves are changing, it's still warm enough for summer clothes and swimming, but some days are chilly.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I think the old lady following her is her grandmother too. We see a scene with her mom talking and the shot slowing focuses on a photo in the background of an older couple. It looks like the old woman follower and then grandpa on the roof

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Zombie Boat posted:

I think the old lady following her is her grandmother too. We see a scene with her mom talking and the shot slowing focuses on a photo in the background of an older couple. It looks like the old woman follower and then grandpa on the roof

Which would make no sense given her immediate reaction and later recount of the story to her friends. You'd think she'd recognize her own grandma

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
My read is that It can only take the form of people its killed. Hence why so many of Its forms are in states of undress and why It shifts into the girl from the prologue at the lake. It makes it that much more disturbing that It looks like her father at the pool (and also a small boy in the beachhouse).

Conversely, I think during the start of the lake scene, It looks like one of Jay's friends. So that puts a hole in that theory.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

1stGear posted:

My read is that It can only take the form of people its killed. Hence why so many of Its forms are in states of undress and why It shifts into the girl from the prologue at the lake. It makes it that much more disturbing that It looks like her father at the pool (and also a small boy in the beachhouse).

Conversely, I think during the start of the lake scene, It looks like one of Jay's friends. So that puts a hole in that theory.

I thought it would have been pretty cool if that were the case, but it just didn't work out that way. I also just wanted to chime in and say the way the tall guy just insinuates himself behind Jay's friends and glides into the beach house scared the everliving poo poo out of me. I actually screamed.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

1stGear posted:

it doesn't have to kill to look like someone. The beach scene it looks like yara (the girl in the water) It also looks like her dad at the pool and I don't think we're supposed to think it killed her dad

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Which would make no sense given her immediate reaction and later recount of the story to her friends. You'd think she'd recognize her own grandma

Forgot that she didn't recognize it. You're right. The guy on the roof is def gramps though.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

1stGear posted:

Nah, it definitely doesn't need to kill someone to take their form. In addition to what's already been said, the first form we see it in is Hugh's mom and she's very much alive, and when it kills Greg it looks like his mom, who is also alive

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah, it operates on two levels - What is going to get it closest to you, and what is going to be the most terrifying/traumatic form it could take?

If it takes on the form of a family member it serves two purposes - 1. Getting close to you without your realization and 2. Making the attack even more harrowing. Jay doesn't want to say when it takes the form of her father. And we're left wondering why that is. Whether it's too disturbing a prospect to admit that the monster trying to kill her looks like her father, or if there is some sort of history of abuse by him. Ambiguity is so prevalent in the film it's effectively a theme.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

remigious posted:

I thought it would have been pretty cool if that were the case, but it just didn't work out that way. I also just wanted to chime in and say the way the tall guy just insinuates himself behind Jay's friends and glides into the beach house scared the everliving poo poo out of me. I actually screamed.

That tall guy was scary as hell. My bed is across from the bedroom door, which I leave cracked open for the cat. I slept like poo poo for two nights because I was just staring at that door waiting for the tall guy to come in.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Fun fact: Tall guy is the tallest man in North America.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
He was pretty tall.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Did anyone else have equal parts laughter and terror?
I don't mean goofing on it in theaters, but it's just that the scares and core concept made us crack up as much as they totally terrified us
Basically-
:stonklol:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm really intrigued by the premise.

Stuff I'm reading implies that the monster just has to touch its victim to kill it. Is this correct?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Stuff I'm reading implies that the monster just has to touch its victim to kill it. Is this correct?

____No____

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Jonas Albrecht posted:

stop reading about it and just go see it

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

i think i would take my chances with the ghost than those prostitutes

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Does the curse transfer if you use a condom?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

TrixRabbi posted:

What's a condom?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Riptor posted:

stop reading about it and just go see it

I can't. :(

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

What happens when the Follower Man™ runs out of people to kill?
There can't be THAT many people down the line, right? What if a lot of them experience erectile dysfunction?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Seriously you're doing a disservice to yourself. Go see it.

headrest
May 1, 2009
I saw it a few nights ago and had the wonderful experience of feeling "meh" about it and then slowly realizing I liked it, a lot. The film reads like a nightmare; so many things are missing parents, cell phones, sense of time and space and the details that are shown are loving weird shell phone, naked family members chasing you, random snippets of people reading literature. The comparisons to the Ring are apt, not only because of the "transmitted" nature of the curse, but also because the unrelenting nightmarish atmosphere.

As someone else here already elegantly put it, it is really refreshing to see a horror movie not buried under piles of irony, pop culture references, and winky-winks at the camera. This is a horror film that is aware of its influences but remains simple and straightforward. Weirdly, this may confuse people looking for more substance. It did to me at first. I wanted a scene of them poring over books in a library, doing detective work, figuring out the nature of the beast. But its focus on its premise is what makes it so drat intriguing. And like any good horror movie, it lingers in the mind because of its insistence on being ambiguous.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

headrest posted:

As someone else here already elegantly put it, it is really refreshing to see a horror movie not buried under piles of irony, pop culture references, and winky-winks at the camera. This is a horror film that is aware of its influences but remains simple and straightforward. Weirdly, this may confuse people looking for more substance. It did to me at first. I wanted a scene of them poring over books in a library, doing detective work, figuring out the nature of the beast. But its focus on its premise is what makes it so drat intriguing. And like any good horror movie, it lingers in the mind because of its insistence on being ambiguous.

She should have boned that astronaut that's going up into space for like a year, that would have foxed that rascally monster.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

She should have boned that astronaut that's going up into space for like a year, that would have foxed that rascally monster.

In a twist, she sleeps with the wrong twin and now Jared Loughner is walking back to Arizona.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

headrest posted:

I wanted a scene of them poring over books in a library, doing detective work, figuring out the nature of the beast.

I am so thankful that this did not happen in the movie. Switching into 'Home Alone' mode was bad enough (It's a cliche that even good horror films aren't immune to). I liked that the trap they set doesn't fool the thing at all. Hugh wasn't kidding when he said it wasn't stupid.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I think someone here posted something from the director (?)that basically said "you don't solve your nightmare you just try to survive."

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I thought it was amusing that the guy at the beginning thought the weird death monster was someone Jay would wanna be.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like the beginning with the chair because despite having seen the trailer before, I still had no idea what we were in for. I was all like "Holy poo poo, is he gonna sacrifice her to that thing?!". My friends and I were audibly gasping throughout the film.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Zombie Boat posted:

Seriously you're doing a disservice to yourself. Go see it.

Nearest theater to me that is showing it is about two hours away. It's not always that easy brosef.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I liked the film, but it's hardly worth a long schelp to see it on the big screen. I don't think there's much in the film that benefits from it, too much.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Cole posted:

Nearest theater to me that is showing it is about two hours away. It's not always that easy brosef.

Look you loser just get in your car and drive don't you want to be one of the cool kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

MisterBibs posted:

I liked the film, but it's hardly worth a long schelp to see it on the big screen. I don't think there's much in the film that benefits from it, too much.

It has lots of really wide shots where you're contstantly scanning the background to check for weird stuff. And a loud as gently caress scary soundtrack.

• Locked thread